Missing features, bugs and wishlist in v.10 - Clear detailed table

Go to solution Solved by ferol,

5 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

New issue discovered.

Sorry, it's a very old issue - you can find this also in older versions 😉

Reason behind: Attachments are stored as references to files (anywhere inside EN locals database). As long as the hash code of these files are identical, you have to store only one copy of the files. Because of this, all changes to the file seem to be done in all these "copies".

IIRC this effect comes up even if you extract a file, rename it outside EN and re-import it. You have to do some minor changes within the content of the file before a re-import. Hash code for the file seems to cover only the content - not the file name...

• Like 1

Thank you for responding.

I still have a legacy installed on a PC. Fired it up to test this, as I do not recall having had the problem.

Well, (edit): the legacy version behaves the same, once the note gets synced. Since in V10 sync is immediate, we see the result almost real time.

I wondered why did I not see the problem before (hence "new issue"). It is clear now: I never had to do this workaround with prepended dates for attachments, as legacy did in fact display the modification date of attachments. I did not have to manage version control of the attachments manually. V10 doesn't display the mod-date for attachments and I started to prepend the data in lieu of visible version control.

At any rate, this is a problem, methinks. I submit that EN should not behave like this. It is totally contra intuitive and the user should not have to know how hashing works. If (s)he renames one attachment, others should not be renamed. Oh, well.

And the workaround is, as @AlbertR alludes to it:

If you make a copy of an attachment, alter that file first and rename it only after that modification.

@ferol please consider it for the list (the hash value of an attachment should contain the filename, too). Low prio. Thanks.

• Like 1

Dave,

I had bad experience with attachments syncing. I would edit the attached, say, Excel file on the PC and find that on my iPhone it shows as "unknown file" and cannot be opened. Same for my laptop. Since these were the last devices I used (I assume) that "unknown file" synced back to the original PC and wiped out that attachment. The version control of the note didn't help, somehow the new version did get registered.

So I got into the habit of copy/pasting the attached file in the same note, rename the second instance and then work with it. (Thus the are identical for short while only.) If the file got wiped, I still had the old version. In fact, for some small but important Excel files, I keep 3 copies in the note.

The other defense action can of course be to duplicate the whole note. Somehow, I found that more onerous and confusing. I will have to reconsider, quite likely.

Or make a habit not to rename the attached file, before I have changed it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Razmataz said:

I had bad experience with attachments syncing.

Have you seen this recently, like this year?  There were some problems when RTE first rolled out last year but I think those have mostly been fixed now.

• Level 5

When editing with external apps one must be careful. It is basically saving real time to the drive, followed by a cloud sync. If the writing back into EN is delayed, it may not properly sync, which can lead to a corrupted file.

There is a lot of interaction going on in the background.

11 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Have you seen this recently, like this year?  There were some problems when RTE first rolled out last year but I think those have mostly been fixed now.

Yes, I have. Beginning of February, if I recall correctly. 

Since I still use legacy occasionally (I am forced to, as HTML export is broken in V10), I hoped that once the converting back-and-forth is gone, it will improve. We will see in a few weeks.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

When editing with external apps one must be careful. It is basically saving real time to the drive, followed by a cloud sync. If the writing back into EN is delayed, it may not properly sync, which can lead to a corrupted file

That's reassuring. How can one be careful when saving from an external app? I am not aware how I could influence the save process in any way...

That's probably related to disappearing attachments in V10.

59 minutes ago, Feitz said:

How can one be careful when saving from an external app? I am not aware how I could influence the save process in any way...

As long as EN10 does not show the updated date of attachments, it's very hard (nearly impossible) to track whether changes are re-imported. I've already submitted a ticket on that (see 053 - Show update time of attachments)

39 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

As long as EN10 does not show the updated date of attachments, it's very hard (nearly impossible) to track whether changes are re-imported.

How I understood @PinkElephant is that RTE could interfere with a slow write of an attachment back into Evernote so that a partly saved file is instantly synced and therefore corrupted by RTE.

RTE is evil.

• Level 5

Has nothing to do with RTE, and not even with EN. This effect of corrupting attachments when a write operation is terminated prematurely can happen with files written to any drive as well.

The trick is simply not to terminate the writing program (here Adobe Acrobat) until the write operation has not terminated.

In the programs I use a „Close Window“ (ctrl/cmd-W) will write safely, because the app itself isn’t terminated.

18 minutes ago, Feitz said:

RTE could interfere with a slow write of an attachment back into Evernote

I don't think so. An attachment is a single item that will not be separated to pieces to be transferred between EN client and server. If an attachment is incomplete, it is a problem of the foreign application (corrupted during save because of application died?, file system problems?, ...)

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Has nothing to do with RTE, and not even with EN. This effect of corrupting attachments when a write operation is terminated prematurely can happen with files written to any drive as well.

The trick is simply not to terminate the writing program (here Adobe Acrobat) until the write operation has not terminated.

I would have to killl the writing programm while it writes to disk? If I close it (cmd-q) it should first finish its write operations anyway before it quits. 

I hope Evernote will not start syncing a larger file while it is being written back to it though.

Well done, I've had answer. Fingers crossed :)

image.thumb.png.dfe40e2b7ec51107c4790ecbf20e7131.png

Amelia, Evernote Support Team (Evernote Help and Learning)

Mar 12, 2024, 16:41 GMT+1

Hello Fero,

Thank you for the incredible effort you all put into compiling this detailed list.

We understand the time and thoughtfulness that went into creating this document, and we want to assure you that your feedback has been shared with our product managers and developers.

Please know that we are committed to carefully reviewing each point raised, even if we cannot provide a specific timeframe for when changes will be implemented or guarantee which features will make it into our product development.

Once again, thank you for being part of the Evernote community.

If you have any further suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Best regards,

Amelia, Evernote Support Team
Help & Learning | Youtube | Forums

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, Feitz said:

I would have to killl the writing programm while it writes to disk?

This is only to force a broken file. EN will see the file (anytime later - maybe closed automatically from operating system) and re-import it. I hope (and cannot imagine any other) it will be re-imported only after it is closed.

If EN would try to import a file that's currently opened for write from any other process, this would be a big fail.

Hi @Ferol,
Amelia is our friend. I've got answers to two tickets of mine from her (beside others). It seems  like she's not the only but an active one there 😉

• Like 2

Never had that before: 

Create a note, paste some text, nothing happens.

Text is in clipboard snd can be pasted everywhere, but not into V10. 

Creste new note,  same result.

Can Paste into quick note (elephant in menu bar).

Copy same text again, paste works.

Strange. Anyone else?

6 hours ago, Feitz said:

Never had that before: 

Strange. Anyone else?

sometime on ny evernote windows too..

need restart evernote.. and than ok

2 hours ago, ferol said:

need restart evernote.. and than ok

Gorgotvto tell, I restarted V10 with no avail, only copying the same text again seemed to work. Strange...

• Level 5
18 hours ago, Feitz said:

Never had that before: 

Strange. Anyone else?

The 10.80 release notes (https://evernote.com/release-notes) say an issue with pasting was fixed. Don't know if it was this one. But be prepared for an unannounced surprise if you install it: the top-row menu bar will be gone, replaced with a 3-line hamburger menu, as reported in the thread on collapsible sections.

• Like 1

New issue: changed the title of a note and got two notes, one with the old title and one with the new one.

Duplicate notes anyone?

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 21.23.00.jpg

Understood. Here's a concise list without a table:

Missing Features:
1. Dark mode support
2. Integration with external calendar apps

Bugs:
1. App crashes on accessing settings menu (Investigating)
2. Incorrect image display in gallery (Identified)

Wishlist:
1. Improved offline mode functionality
2. Customizable notification sounds

- VNROM FRP tool for bypassing FRP lock [VNROM FRP](https://vnromfrp.net/)

If I have an attachment in a separate line of a bulleted list, I can't indent / outdent this line (neither tab / shift-tab works nor the buttons in the menu.image.jpeg.4c52ea66970e7e1082c7592ef95b94b3.jpeg 

This is a bummer since I use bulleted lists with attachments a lot. Anyone else experiencing that?

Printing a note with an attachment removes the attachment name in the printout and changes it to 'untitled attachment'. In the note the attachment name is properly displayed (at least this time).

Completely unpredictable.

If I print a handout this is fatal since the attachment name is a contextual reference to the actual attachment.

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Feitz said:

If I have an attachment in a separate line of a bulleted list, I can't indent / outdent this line (neither tab / shift-tab works nor the buttons in the menu.image.jpeg.4c52ea66970e7e1082c7592ef95b94b3.jpeg 

This is a bummer since I use bulleted lists with attachments a lot. Anyone else experiencing that?

Haven't tested this specifically, but attachments do seem to need their own, unformattable line. Hope they'll fix this.

2 hours ago, Feitz said:

Printing a note with an attachment removes the attachment name in the printout and changes it to 'untitled attachment'. In the note the attachment name is properly displayed (at least this time).

Completely unpredictable.

If I print a handout this is fatal since the attachment name is a contextual reference to the actual attachment.

I haven't tried this specifically either, but, knowing the attachment will be on its own line, and its filename may or may not convey all the information I want, I usually put a kind of labeling line before the attachment, e.g. "Email from attorney 3/7/2024".

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

usually put a kind of labeling line before the attachment, e.g. "Email from attorney 3/7/2024

Yes, this would be necessary.

Everything I frequently use is less streamlined and less efficient with V10.

Besides the attachments won't integrate into outlines since they cannot be indented any more.

• Thanks 1

Any ideas how I can add a specific tag to all my notes? I can only select 100 notes at a time so with 23000 notes this is not going to happen.

I Legacy I could select all notes and then add the tag to all of them or if I didn't want to hog down the mac I would open a notebook and then select all notes within this notebooks. 

Who came up with a 100-notes-barrier in the first place? This is ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

And adding the same tag to all notes is plain pointless

You are always so quick with your conclusions. It is not. I am exporting my notes to ENEX files and want to keep track of which ones were exported. So I add a tag 'Export0324' and know I will not export / import these again.

If you know a simpler /  better way to permanently mark notes that have been exported just let me know.

The next problem with the 100-notes-limit is how can I swap (e.g. misspelled) tags with a replacement tag? 

I have several thousand notes that have a tag that I would like to replace with another tag. I can filter out all notes with the old tag but then can only replace it for 100 tags at a time? Seriously? 

Tags have always been the recommended way to organize your notes, since there is no folder structure available for a more detailed organization. So it is a vital part of the app that should not become so crippled as it is now. This is barely usable for any serious tag management.

And adding the same tag to all notes is plain pointless.

And adding a tag to, say, 300 notes ist equally pointless in your eyes?

Because that is a pain, too. If I filter down the notes to 300 (of 16,000) I would say it could be useful to be able to tag those (or do anything with them). It is possible to work in chunks of 100, but needs an awful long time, it is tedious and error prone.

So, what are your arguments @PinkElephant, why is the 100 notes limit for any selection such a great idea?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I don't need any argument. I take it as it is. I rarely need to touch hundreds of notes, and if i do, I know how to handle it.

Remark: The tagging of all notes with say the tag "AllNotesTag" does the same in search as the opposite - if you know how to search.

tag:allnotestag would deliver all notes, if all notes have been tagged.

-tag:allnotestag would as well deliver all notes, if NO note would be tagged with it.

This is why tagging all notes with the same tag is pointless.

Got it, thank you. So what's your opinion in general - apart from the use case at hand - of the 100 notes limit?

And how do you handle, say 300-400 notes?

If I add notes to V10 after the last export, the easiest way to filter these notes is to add a tag to the already exported notes. Thus I can see when a note has been exported and which ones have not.

But the reason why I am doing this is irrelevant, the fact that I can only tag (or select) 100 notes at once is simply stupid.

New one: when I clip a webpage in V10 (web clipper, safari, mac, all current) I get a decently looking note with all the info I need, but in V10 it is read-only (why???).
To edit it, I have to 'simplify formatting' but in the process all images etc. are converted to 'untitled attachments' and are no longer visible, they aren't even clickable links anymore...

This is a process I use very often and therefore rely on. Never had an issue with Legacy.

I wonder what parts of V10 people who are so happy with it are actually using... Everything I need has considerably deteriorated or simply isn't there anymore in V10.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This by design. Either you preserve the look&feel the original website, or you want to edit.

If you want both, duplicate the note before simplifying.

It never was explained, but I think the idea behind it is to isolate the editing of a web clip from the sometimes complex code used by modern CMS. By simplifying it first,  the code is unified. Edits will not depend on any residual HTML code still embedded into the clipped page.

The result of simplifying looks quite similar to the page visited in Reader mode in the browser. On most pages it works pretty well, with some pages the results are less good. You can edit it to remove some of the elements.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This by design. Either you preserve the look&feel the original website, or you want to edit.

Hm, I doubt that, I've done this hundreds of time, images have always been preserved.

I can't think of a design choice that converts all images in a web page to 'untitled  attachments', rendering the information more or less useless. Images contain most of the information in most web pages.

When I clip a 'simplified article' it resembles the 'reader mode' you referred, but still with the images intact... 

I opened a ticket that also shows attachments as unknown and unviewable with a warning ⚠️ in it. With reproduction when copy-pasting parts of websites or from gmail website or Evernote website to a note. Might be related. I they say developers are investating to fix it, cause it doesn't sounds right.

• Level 5

Does this change with the passing of time? I just checked a few Webclip notes that I've had for days or weeks, and simplifying leaves all the images intact. OTOH, I just tried clipping a page with over 60 images of clouds, and when I simplified the note right after it was created, none of the images was lost or unviewable. I wonder if the sources of the images have anything to do with it.

27 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Does this change with the passing of time?

no, not that I am aware of.

Unfortunately I can't undo the change, cmd-Z will open a search window instead of undoing the 'simplify formatting'. 
If I use the menu item to undo, nothing happens at all (menu sais cmd-Z is the proper shortcut for 'undo')..

This still used to work only recently, must have been changed in one of the last updates (I'm on 10.80.2).

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I wonder if the sources of the images have anything to do with it.

maybe, but they were there in the web clip, so no login-barrier or similar obstacle.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Unfortunately I can't undo the change, cmd-Z will open a search window instead of undoing the 'simplify formatting'. 
If I use the menu item to undo, nothing happens at all (menu sais cmd-Z is the proper shortcut for 'undo')..

I think in early releases of 10.80 the keyboard shortcuts were disabled or something; they should be restored in 10.80.3, I think. But IAC, Edit > Undo should have worked. I hate to say it, but would it be possible to clip this one again and start over?

5 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But IAC, Edit > Undo should have worked. I hate to say it, but would it be possible to clip this one again and start over?

I had the  'undo' thing with several notes, so it is not connected to this specific note. 

For me 10.8.2. is the latest release:
image.jpeg.c8c788097ca5458e9febad12afbd70a7.jpeg

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I had the  'undo' thing with several notes, so it is not connected to this specific note. 

For me 10.8.2. is the latest release:
image.jpeg.c8c788097ca5458e9febad12afbd70a7.jpeg

The desktop app "newest version" information is often behind reality, unfortunately (they do the rollout slowly). You can always get the absolute latest from https://evernote.com/download. I just tried, and the current version being downloaded is 10.80.3. Might be worth a try.

• Thanks 1

Got another one (will this ever end?):

I have a note with several multipage PDFs and some text in between.

Two display alright as a 1-page preview, the third only as attachment or 'title' as they cal lit in V10.

I can change the first two to title and backm but on't even have the option to display the third at all (3rd option window)

image.thumb.jpeg.2caedbce43ae8c60f579b59bd24acaa1.jpegimage.jpeg.0f37b197ab4a20370285d87490a27a45.jpeg

3rd PDF (displayed as attachmet/title):

image.jpeg.f70cad1afb7a7debf10cf440d3590c20.jpeg

Rename is the last option, the others are missing. Never had this in Legacy.

Anyone else? 

image.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

You can always get the absolute latest from https://evernote.com/download.

I know, thank you, nothing comes easy with V10 (sorry, couldn't help myself). I've come to like the convenience of automatic updates but with V10...

I'll give it a shot though.

35 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

10.80.3. Might be worth a try.

in 10.80.3 the cmd-Z / cmd-shift-Z- shortcuts seem to work again, the missing PDF options don't.

I just exported the note with the PDFs as html and all three PDFs look quite normal, even the one where I don't have the option to display it inline.

• Like 1

I lost track of the many issues I have with V10, so sorry if this might be a double post (I think not).

I have a web clip of a website in V10 (in the 'new' web clip format that can't be edited and if I want it editable I have to 'simplify format' which takes away most of what made the website sauf the bare text).

Export note to PDF gets me a PDF with

- a title
- two and a half blank pages
- half a page with part of the beginning of the note. 

Completely unusable. FCS how can such a thing pass QS??? 

BTW links to attachments are transformed to 'untitled Attachments'. Again. We had this one alright.

Unusable PDF exports anyone?

• Thanks 1

Shortcuts for highlighting are completely gone in 10.80.3. They may still work (forgot what it was) but are not shown anywhere.

So to highlight you have to go to open the note in full frame (otherwise you have even more clicks to highlight) and click the bouton.

10 hours ago, Feitz said:

I lost track of the many issues I have with V10, so sorry if this might be a double post (I think not).

I have a web clip of a website in V10 (in the 'new' web clip format that can't be edited and if I want it editable I have to 'simplify format' which takes away most of what made the website sauf the bare text).

Export note to PDF gets me a PDF with

- a title
- two and a half blank pages
- half a page with part of the beginning of the note. 

Completely unusable. FCS how can such a thing pass QS??? 

BTW links to attachments are transformed to 'untitled Attachments'. Again. We had this one alright.

Unusable PDF exports anyone?

I am in a very similar situation (the PDF issue, the broken and unknown links, etc).

I have reported them many times, I even got a ticket # once, but noting happens.

They don't fix bugs, they rather introduce new features. The trouble is,  every new feature is accompanied by a number of new issues. At least some of these (new) issues get fixed. 3 year old ones do not get fixed.

That's the new policy.

BTW, the way they fix new issues demonstrates the total lack of planning. Example:

The slash command "/" can now be hidden. Great.

But they put the switch for it onto the … menu of a note. All other items on that menu are specific to the note. The switch isn't, it is a client setting. I don't think this is logical and if you don't know where it is…

It seems, without much planning, the coder just decided to put it somewhere.

I don't see the rationale behind it at all, but I am sure @PinkElephant can argue why that's not only a good place, it is the best place possible.

And we must be happy, it is fixed after all.

PS: I reported it via feedback. Automated response.

10 hours ago, Feitz said:

Shortcuts for highlighting are completely gone in 10.80.3. They may still work (forgot what it was) but are not shown anywhere.

So to highlight you have to go to open the note in full frame (otherwise you have even more clicks to highlight) and click the bouton.

The shortcut on Windows is CTRL-SHIFT-H.

But it gives you only yellow as the highlight color.

It is beyond me, why it is not on the list of shortcuts.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

It is beyond me, why it is not on the list of shortcuts

The keyboard shortcut used to be written next to the button and in the menu as well, now all shortcuts seem to be gone. I'm on a mac btw.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a keyboard symbol at the bottom of the left column

ah, good to know.

cmd-Z and cmd-shift-Z don't seem to work consistently, they work when a note is in full screen mode but otherwise cmd-Z sometimes invokes the search window, sometimes does nothing at all...