Evernote V10 creates chaos where Legacy worked flawlessly for the past few years

Unfortunately I had to switch to V10 (latest version) since Legacy will not work on Sonoma.

All looked well for a couple of minutes until I started to actually access my content and add new one: 
- When dragging PDFs and JPGs into Evernote to create new notes with these files Evernote sporadically forgot to add the file extension to these attachments, so they could not be read or rendered. When I noticed that and added the file extensions manually, on some files  the extensions randomly reappeared out of nowhere, so I was left with some files named like 'givenfilename.PDF.PDF'.

- When I view a note, the edit date is changed to the current date/time, so my timeline gets completely mixed up. Viewing is NOT editing, so why not leave the edit date alone? 
This has been an issue for some time on the forum and has not been addressed, which is a show stopper for me.

- Evernote Helper (Renderer) constantly eats away CPU time, I thought rendering of notes is done on the server side?

- Notes preview is rendered differently (=worse) from Legacy, making it much more difficult to get an overview.

- There are a host of smaller issues where Evernote V10 doesn't stick to standard Mac behaviour which is more than annoying. 
For example it is impossible to select multiple attachments in a note at once,  'shift'+'select' or 'ctrl'-select' won't work. To export 20 PDFs from a note I have to export every one of them separately, tell Evernote that I want to export, chose a directory, confirm the location and then select the next attachment. This is ridiculous. Being able to select multiple items is standard in any OS.

All these issues are new to V10. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You obviously use an outdated release of v10 (watching at your update the changed date claim, which is fixed). So you better update.

To reiterate, I am on the latest version because of Sonoma, no Legacy database, automated update cycle, last update was yesterday (new design) or the day before.

10.76.2-mac-ddl-public (20240214093250)
Editor: v176.53.0
Service: v1.92.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

And no, the issue is not fixed! I just hover over a note and it gets updated and promoted to the top of the notes list.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I have seen another thread where you have posted in detail on (I assume) the same subject.  Please don't post on any issue more than once.  We're mostly other users here - if you have a genuine problem please contact Support.

14 hours ago, Feitz said:

To reiterate, I am on the latest version because of Sonoma, no Legacy database, automated update cycle, last update was yesterday (new design) or the day before.

10.76.2-mac-ddl-public (20240214093250)
Editor: v176.53.0
Service: v1.92.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

And no, the issue is not fixed! I just hover over a note and it gets updated and promoted to the top of the notes list.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

I have seen another thread where you have posted in detail on (I assume) the same subject.  Please don't post on any issue more than once.  We're mostly other users here - if you have a genuine problem please contact Support.

Contact support. Ha! That's a good one!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, kkarney said:

Contact support. Ha! That's a good one!

Support are the only people who can help with payment and password issues.  For anything else you have to rely on the patience - or otherwise - of us other users.  Long wait times are not helpful,  but they're all we've got - apart from using  a different package entirely,  which is always an option.

• Level 5
On 2/21/2024 at 3:13 PM, Feitz said:

All looked well for a couple of minutes until I started to actually access my content and add new one: 
- When dragging PDFs and JPGs into Evernote to create new notes with these files Evernote sporadically forgot to add the file extension to these attachments, so they could not be read or rendered. When I noticed that and added the file extensions manually, on some files  the extensions randomly reappeared out of nowhere, so I was left with some files named like 'givenfilename.PDF.PDF'.

- When I view a note, the edit date is changed to the current date/time, so my timeline gets completely mixed up. Viewing is NOT editing, so why not leave the edit date alone? 
This has been an issue for some time on the forum and has not been addressed, which is a show stopper for me.

WRT these two, which are common to Mac and Windows: The first one is caused by some delay in syncing/uploading the attachments, I'm sure. That would be why the manually added extensions get "duplicated" when the upload completes. Just let it finish. The second one is a bug that has appeared, been fixed, reappeared, disappeared, reappeared ... the Dr. Who (if I may be permitted a blasphemy) of Evernote bugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That would be why the manually added extensions get "duplicated" when the upload completes.

Hm, I added them locally by dragging them into a notebook, so there should not be any local  sync involved other than uploading new content to the server. 

I suspect sync issues are probably causing a host of issues. In contrast to Legacy the new sync seems to rely on quasi instant sync, otherwise concurrent editing would not be possible. If that is delayed for whatever reason, things get mixed up randomly. This could explain why problems pop up inconsistently. 

• Level 5

As already explained, viewing does NOT alter the „laser changed“ date - if the actual client* is used.

There was a bug for some releases, but it got fixed. It is not a property of v10 to change the date when just viewing.

(*) checked on Mac, Web and iOS 

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There was a bug for some releases, but it got fixed. It is not a property of v10 to change the date when just viewing.

Well obviously it does, otherwise the viewed, not edited notes wouldn't wander to the top of the notes stack. I'm glad it doesn't happen to you but for me it happens - unfortunately not predictably. If you keep telling me it is not happening when it clearly is we'll be running in circles. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

That would be why the manually added extensions get "duplicated" when the upload completes

I just added some JPGs to a note in V10 and - again - the JPG endings were dropped. As a consequence I can't open the files with the default JPG app. Preview works ok. I let it sit for over an hour but extensions have not 'come back'. They are lost before sync the instant the pics are added to the local client.

Other issues with notes containing JPGs: 

- Some (again random) notes won't display a preview of a note containing JPGs for no reason I can think of (never happened in Legacy). I reentered the JPGs, captured the contents and pasted again, but to no avail. Some notes simply don't render JPGs.

- As with other attachments it is impossible to select more than one picture (e.g. to drag out of Evernote, to move to a different position). I now have to move / copy each and every attachment individually. Talking about efficient workflows...

- There is no option to view file info any more.

3 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I just added some JPGs to a note in V10 and - again - the JPG endings were dropped. As a consequence I can't open the files with the default LPG app. Preview works ok. I let it sit for over an hour but extensions have not 'come back'. They are lost before sync the instant the pics are added to the local client.

I've just added 15 JPG images in one go by dragging them from explorer to Evernote. All of them got there pretty much instantly and I can click them and view them fine. No .jpg stripped from the filename. Every on eof them renders fine.

Have you tried reinstalling as it sounds like you're having issues others are not.

Just now, Jon/t said:

Have you tried reinstalling as it sounds like you're having issues others are not.

It is a fairly fresh install (ca. 1 week ago) from scratch with no Legacy residue (hate to call it that). Latest version on MacOs Sonoma.

5 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Btw. can you select multiple attachments?

No. That's not a function on Version 10. They are different apps. V10 was never meant to be a replica of Legacy, in fact the old team looked at features in legacy that were hardly ever used and didn't include them. 

If you want to get all the jpg's out export as a single HTML file and all the images will be in a folder.

2 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

That's not a function on Version 10

But that's standard behaviour in Macos and Windows and not a feature specific to Legacy.  

Html export needs several more steps than cmd-c / cmd-v.

9 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It does not work for mixed content, like a picture plus text.

That's not how my pcs work. I can copy all or part of the contents of a note, with text and other contents. This works in any word processor, note taking app etc.
What I can't do in V10 as opposed to other apps (including Legacy) is selecting more than one JPG or PDF within a note. 

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Feitz said:

Hm, I added them locally by dragging them into a notebook, so there should not be any local  sync involved other than uploading new content to the server. 

5 hours ago, Feitz said:

I just added some JPGs to a note in V10 and - again - the JPG endings were dropped. As a consequence I can't open the files with the default JPG app. Preview works ok. I let it sit for over an hour but extensions have not 'come back'. They are lost before sync the instant the pics are added to the local client.

I just tried this, using the method you described, and as with @Jon/t's experiment the pictures appeared quickly, with .jpg filenames. All this means is that we can't replicate the problem, not that it's not happening. Sadly, you are probably doomed to an interchange with Support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action. They will tell you to do everything you've already done. Tell them you've done it, and then hopefully someone will actually take a look at it.

5 hours ago, Feitz said:

It is a fairly fresh install (ca. 1 week ago) from scratch with no Legacy residue (hate to call it that). Latest version on MacOs Sonoma.

There have been sometimes reports here of even recent installations that have nevertheless encountered some problem and need to be uninstalled and re-installed. If you try that, you may want to use something stronger than the standard uninstall routine--not sure what it is on a Mac, but I think @PinkElephant has mentioned it in other contexts.

• Level 5

On the Mac you need to use AppCleaner to really uninstall EN - no matter which client.

And if it was just recently installed, and the client was not kept running in the background, I think it will still be downloading content. Until the local database is fully created, the app will not be as fast as it will be when done.

The download took several days for me, on a fast internet connection.

22 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

All this means is that we can't replicate the problem, not that it's not happening

Thank you, that's weird.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jon/t said:

No. That's not a function on Version 10. They are different apps. V10 was never meant to be a replica of Legacy, in fact the old team looked at features in legacy that were hardly ever used and didn't include them. 

Well, they certainly managed to do away with and/or mess up features that I used regularly. And I'm obviously not the only one. Speaking for myself and my own use cases, v10 offers me nothing that I didn't have in Legacy, and has removed several features and gotten much slower. And of course there's the complete and total lack of support nowadays. 

I'm still waiting for some sort of evidence that there's anything positive about the new Evernote and its new owners. So far, seems like they're doing their best to kill it.

And of course, you'll never hear from anyone who actually works for Evernote. Because they do not care about us.

I also fully expect to be reprimanded by expert users who, for some reason, find it necessary to defend EN's "new direction" in spite of the fact that so very many of us really hate it (because it's terrible).

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@kkarney, you have expressed your experience and opinions succinctly, if not very completely (what are the features that are missing or messed up?). My experience and opinions differ, but I understand that I am not to be allowed to express them. I accept your censorship. I'll only point to two factual matters: "so very many of us" = about 1% of Evernote's users, per the blog post today--unless you think they're just lying. As for never hearing from anyone at Evernote, one other user of your persuasion managed to speak insultingly enough to get this response from Federico Simionato:

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, kkarney said:

And of course, you'll never hear from anyone who actually works for Evernote. Because they do not care about us.

If you frequent any of the other services - Adobe / Apple / Microsoft / Google etc - you won't find many techs answering individual posts.

It's more

• accurate and consistent to collate your stats using support requests
  • productive of an engineer's time to be fixing problems than discussing them
  • diplomatic not to get involved with name-calling over personal preferences
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

If I were involved in „official listening“ (which I am not), I would for sure not listen to users who are just ranting along. Every company does better when the least satisfied customers have left, even if they take a part of sales with them. They are usually not buying enough to compensate for the effort and pain to service them.

• Like 3

Another issue I just came across with V10/Mac current version: 

When I clip a webpage and want to open it in the app the thumbnail shows the correct contents albeit small ;-).

image.jpeg.e30e48ff7033f8a28d0df04afe070f43.jpeg

The note itself is almost empty, just a frame around more or less nothing.

image.thumb.jpeg.4fa510c2de57e4412f0979afa430c1ab.jpeg

This doesn't get better over time (waited for the rest to sync).

Ok, so I make a sceenshot of the webpage. Whenever I opt for the crosshairs Evernote switches to the app to let me grab screen content. 
How dumb is that??? V10 really, I mean REALLY sucks...

On 2/23/2024 at 1:19 PM, Feitz said:

But that's standard behaviour in Macos and Windows and not a feature specific to Legacy.  

Indeed. I would submit that no app should violate the accepted principles or practices of the underlying O/S. 

And before somebody challenges this statement: both MacOS and Windows behave the same. And all Linux variants and such.

This is a bug. There is no need to label it "not a function of V10". It is an oversight and needs to be corrected.

@ferol This should be on your list, methinks.

• Level 5

This crosshairy thing is a known issue.

In MacOS usually the app has no authorization in MacOS settings for screen recordings.

Easy to fix (and perfectly in line with MacOS).

About the WebClip: Clipped using WebClipper ? Or with iOS ?

8 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

Indeed. I would submit that no app should violate the accepted principles or practices of the underlying O/S. 

And before somebody challenges this statement: both MacOS and Windows behave the same. And all Linux variants and such.

This is a bug. There is no need to label it "not a function of V10". It is an oversight and needs to be corrected.

@ferol This should be on your list, methinks.

Write a brief statement of the problem and I'll copy it into the spreadsheet.
Because I don't use a web cliper, so I don't even know properly what is expected from it...

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

In MacOS usually the app has no authorization in MacOS settings for screen recordings.

Thanks. Never had to adjust permissions with Legacy web clipper. Will try if this fixes it.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

About the WebClip: Clipped using WebClipper ? Or with iOS ?

Current webclipper (app store version) on MacOS. 

2 minutes ago, ferol said:

Write a brief statement of the problem and I'll copy it into the spreadsheet.

"V10 doesn't adhere to long established OS conventions. E.g. it is impossible to select multiple attachments in a note at once,  'shift'+'select' or 'ctrl'-select' won't work. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Feitz said:

"V10 doesn't adhere to long established OS conventions. E.g. it is impossible to select multiple attachments in a note at once,  'shift'+'select' or 'ctrl'-select' won't work. 

done

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

just checked, it does:

image.jpeg.eff53819614e05eda6a80e09a735afa6.jpeg

51 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

I am talking about the app client, not the Safari (or Chrome / FF web clipper extension).

1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Current webclipper (app store version) on MacOS. 

sorry, false previous statememt:

yes, I'm talking about the main app and the icon that sits in the menu bar, not the web clipper. My bad.

But nevertheless Evernote.app has the right permissions and changes to the Evernote V10 screen whenever I want to capture a portion of a screen. If it were missing permissions I would normally get a window asking me to modify permissions for the app.

• Level 5

The AppStore version is known to create amazing malfunctions. They have nothing to do with the app.

The usual experience is that the interaction between app and the surroundings functions is derailed. The root cause is that the AppStore version runs inside of a sandbox. This can prevent interaction even with correct permissions.

The usual solution is to uninstall the AppStore version, and install the direct download.

3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The AppStore version is known to create amazing malfunctions. They have nothing to do with the app.

The usual experience is that the interaction between app and the surroundings functions is derailed. The root cause is that the AppStore version runs inside of a sandbox. This can prevent interaction even with correct permissions.

The usual solution is to uninstall the AppStore version, and install the direct download.

again, sorry, this was a misunderstanding. I habe the app-store web clipper but the here the standard 10.77.3 from Evernote is acting up.

5 hours ago, Feitz said:

Another issue I just came across with V10/Mac current version: 

When I clip a webpage and want to open it in the app the thumbnail shows the correct contents albeit small ;-).

image.jpeg.e30e48ff7033f8a28d0df04afe070f43.jpeg

The note itself is almost empty, just a frame around more or less nothing.

image.thumb.jpeg.4fa510c2de57e4412f0979afa430c1ab.jpeg

This doesn't get better over time (waited for the rest to sync).

I have experienced this web clipping issue several times recently. It's frustrating. The Web clipper has not been updated in months, they removed a specific feature for clipping Gmail emails 6 months ago and haven't commented / won't tell me whether it's going to come back.

I get the sense that most development resources are currently focused on the desktop app and back-end infrastructure. I hope they return to maintaining the Web clipper soon.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Web clipper has not been updated in months,

yes, but my issue was with the app itself and the clipping feature that sits in the menu bar (macos). I got that mixed up for a second in a previous post, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, Feitz said:

But I just found out that it is possible to select multiple attachments by dragging the mouse around them, copy them, and paste them elsewhere (another note or the Windows desktop, specifically). Surprised me a little.

10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But I just found out that it is possible to select multiple attachments by dragging the mouse around them, copy them, and paste them elsewhere (another note or the Windows desktop, specifically). Surprised me a little.

but if there is a text between the attachments, you have to take it with it...

• Level 5
1 minute ago, ferol said:

That's correct. It's certainly not as efficient as Ctrl+click to select only specific attachments. BTW, can anyone tell me if Evernote's competitors do allow that with attachments?

4 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

3 hours ago, ferol said:

when I posted this I was on 10.77.2 (I think) and dragging the mouse around to select didn't work.

Now with 10.77.3 I can e.g. select all (didn't work previously) of a note with 'cmd-a' or select all by lassoing with the mouse, but only if the note consists of text and attachments (PDFs, JPGs).

Selecting several images alone will result in only the last image being selected. Random instead of standardized behaviour I would say.

Two other things:

- all the jpgs in the note end on image.JPG.JPG. 

- when I searched for a note that I knew had many images in it I accidentally  dropped the first letter of the search term ('ezzera' instead of 'Bezzera'). This should not make a difference since both text strings are unique. Not a single note was found in the results (there are many notes containing 'Bezzera' because I collect old coffee machines. 

With other search terms that exist it does find partial words in some notes, but not in others.

To sum it up: when searching for partial terms in full text search many notes containing the partial string in a full word are omitted in the result set.

So again completely random behaviour of standard search. Not very reassuring. Looks like titles and body text are treated differently as well.

Maybe someone can verify this to make sure it is not me alone who encounters this. In this case this should be added to @ferol's table.

No need to mention that this weird behaviour NEVER occured in Legacy. V10 sucks, it REALLY sucks.

Here are some examples:

'ezzera': nothing found

Screenshot2024-02-28at23_46_22.jpg.9906e01526f96ac14a723770ab05ce4f.jpg

'Bezzera': several hits are displaed

Screenshot2024-02-28at23_46_08.jpg.506c6195a9e050f752098e4e6f48283f.jpg

'alendorf': several hits in the body of the note

Screenshot2024-02-28at23_49_35.jpg.54b2df97dfa820e0bf6115aa170ac8fe.jpg

'Lalendorf' completely different return set...

Screenshot2024-02-28at23_50_29.jpg.d1d37d543bd6fd5f93310fb06fd9c916.jpg

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

BTW, can anyone tell me if Evernote's competitors do allow that with attachments?

This always worked perfectly fine in any word proessing app that uses mixed text and images. Have been using a lot of them. First time I came across this behaviour ever (on MacOS or several years ago on Windows).

• Level 5

In general EN search never looked for partial matches - search only took partial matches that occurred at the beginning of a word.

Passages in between of other characters were usually ignored. In some cases such terms were found, but I think only because the OCR believed there is a word separation, and treated the fractions as new words.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Feitz said:

So again completely random behaviour of standard search. Not very reassuring. Looks like titles and body text are treated differently as well.

Try it on web version..  If this is problem of native app, or global problem..

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

n general EN search never looked for partial matches - search only took partial matches that occurred at the beginning of a word.

In Legacy I never came across this issue, I think in so many years there would have been occasions where I omitted a leading character for a search.

19 minutes ago, ferol said:

Try it on web version..  If this is problem of native app, or global problem..

Web client behaves exactly the same, just tried it.

20 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

n general EN search never looked for partial matches - search only took partial matches that occurred at the beginning of a word.

if I look at the result set of the partial search it does find the partial text in some of the whole words, but not in others. It looks as if it found partial text only in the note body.

I opened one note that was returned in the search for 'alendorf' with the L missing, and in the body ALL occurences of Lalendorf were highlighted. It is not plausible that these were all OCR errors, btw. most of the notes were not scanned but imported PDFs where OCR errors are not an issue.

BTW. again omitted the first character when selecting text, that happens all the time to me. I am confident I would have noticed this behaviour in years of Legacy use.

• Level 5*

@Feitz Try intitle searches to be sure your result sets are accurate.  About the only special character that EN in the day indexed was underscore, everything else became a space.  They may have changed something with the new app, don't know.  If things haven't changed, items two and five should not appear in an intitle search.

7 minutes ago, CalS said:

If things haven't changed, items two and five should not appear in an intitle search.

I think the result list simply omits the blanks, in the note title there is a blank e.g. between LAW and Lalendorf, so the results should be consistent. But treating the title differently from the note body without any explanation or option to change this is really bad.

• Level 5*

From my memory, for the note title containing LAWLalendorf to appear in a Lalendorf search, the term Lalendorf will be standalone in the note body somewhere.  Old EN search worked the same title or body.  Ctrl+F in the body was a different story. 

4 minutes ago, CalS said:

From my memory, for the note title containing LAWLalendorf to appear in a Lalendorf search, the term Lalendorf will be standalone in the note body somewhere.  Old EN search worked the same title or body.  Ctrl+F in the body was a different story. 

Exactly, that's how I see it as well. Legacy never made a difference between body and title. 

Is this behaviour of V10 documented anywhere? I.e. is it a feature?

• Level 5

For the deeply curious, the full documentation of Evernote's search grammar: https://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/search_grammar.php. @Feitz, I'm sorry, but here for once I think you're just mistaken. I think Evernote's searching, since long before v. 10, has always treated the search string as being at the beginning of a word, i.e., "urge" will find "urgent" but not "purge". Your seemingly random results follow this rule, I believe. So for instance, from the search grammar: "A wildcard is only permitted at the end of the term, not at the beginning or middle for scalability reasons on the service." When searching for a tag, "The tag name may end with a wildcard to match the beginning of a tag. The pattern will match from the beginning of the full tag name...."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm sorry, but here for once I think you're just mistaken.

No problem. If it's documented to work like this I should have RTFM  🙂 

8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

"urge" will find "urgent" but not "purge". Your seemingly random results follow this rule, I believe

Hm, using my previous example and searching for 'alendorf' in stead of 'Lalendorf' returns this (among others, highlight was done by Evernote in the thumbnail): 

image.jpeg.0261a4e09e2d0f6295934d1835c8752e.jpeg

So it does find the partial string in the title and the note body which somewhat contradicts your statement. But I haven't fully digested the document you linked (thank you for that) so I might be mistaken.

EDIT: in this example title and body text  seem to be treated equally as is expected from the document you linked. At first glance I could not find a reference in the help document that would indicate a different syntax for note titles.