When Will the Windows Legacy client 6.25.2.9198 (309198) (and it's Syncing) Stop Working? Anyone know?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, jcnassoc said:

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else on this forum, but I have not found it if it is. Any official or un-official timeline? 

Thanks! 

I haven't seen any date posted, but some of the older versions have stopped working so I think you may be on borrowed time.

• Level 5

The latest legacy client seem to be the last to still sync. I would move soon to v10 - there is no long term strategy to stick with anything that is not the actual v10 client.

Even most older releases of v10 are deprecated now and can cause operational problems.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The latest legacy client seem to be the last to still sync.

Am I the only one who still believes in a (even paid) solution to continue Legacy using? EN10 is by far not working reliably fast, stable and productive enough to replace it...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Am I the only one who still believes in a (even paid) solution to continue Legacy using?

Hi.  Yes (probably).  I was using Android Legacy until this week because I have an old phone,  but it stopped syncing with the server a week or two ago. 

I've now uninstalled it - I took the failure to sync as a sign that more server work has cut me off,  and it isn't worth spending time trying to fix it.  I mainly used the phone as a way to add images to my notes,  and I can still take the pictures and now email them to the server.

Asking to continue using Legacy is like wanting to buy your videos on Betamax because you still have a perfectly good player and prefer the format.  Evernote is about to retire Legacy permanently because there are better and more efficient options out there - I sympathise that you may not like them,  but that will be the only option soon. 

I've been saying for weeks that its better to adopt v10 now than have to scrabble to adapt when the old servers stop working - we'll be happy to try to help with any issues,  and you can (for the moment) always dip back into Legacy for a quick familiar fix.  I know the 'help' here is sometimes snarky,  but that's usually because the initial request comes in with attitude and aggression. 

Somebody here has probably found a way round any problem you may face,  and I'd hope we'll be as helpful as possible...

• Like 4
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Am I the only one who still believes in a (even paid) solution to continue Legacy using? EN10 is by far not working reliably fast, stable and productive enough to replace it...

If you are the only one remains to be seen.

Hope dies last ...

I completely disagree on the description of v10 however. It is fast, reliable and a joy to use, especially on different platforms.

• Like 2

It is fast, reliable and a joy to use, especially on different platforms.

Before BS I just used one Windows client, now I use clients on different platforms, fast and reliable. This is at least my experience, great progress over the last weeks. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I sympathise that you may not like them,  but that will be the only option soon. 

It's not because I don't like it. I cannot work with it as long as it is impossible to have a normal search result list sorted by Reminder Dates and Reminder Done Times. I've describes this many times...

For me and my(our) workflow a note is a container of data and actions to be done. Data and actions life along with creation-, changed-, reminder- and reminder done-dates. EN10 wastes my time to manage the dates and impossibility to show these dates in note lists. And if you forget to switch back from the Reminder tab before executing a Favorite search, EN10 blocks and needs a restart 😞

But they are not so far away from getting this fixed. Every average UI developer  should be able to do so. It's only stubborn product management that forces them to play around with new UI "features" instead.

I use my productive time to work with Legacy to save some time to check for EN10 news. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

It's not because I don't like it. I cannot work with it

I don't know whether anyone else has the same issue,  but Legacy has to be closing down very very soon.  They're clearly focussed on moving forward as quickly and effectively as possible this year,  and I'd bet that within a few months Legacy access will be gone.  Unless you already have some very clear signs that Evernote plan to add in the functionality you need,  I'd be looking for alternative solutions about now:  either ones where you search for reminder dates / done times first,  then filter for (or exclude) other keywords with (possibly temporary) tags;  or by finding a different provider.  It simply does not seem feasible for an operation with millions of customers on one system to build and maintain any kind of parallel access for only a few.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, AlbertR said:

1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

It's not because I don't like it. I cannot work with it as long as it is impossible to have a normal search result list sorted by Reminder Dates and Reminder Done Times. I've describes this many times...

I hope that a way will be found for either Evernote or your highly specialized work process to be adapted to the other soon. But I would just like to say that the broad statement that EN 10 does not work reliably fast, stable, and/or productive enough in comparison with Legacy is simply not true as a generalization. Newer forum users who aren't familiar with some issues for certain particular types of workflow may see a statement like that and think that Evernote 10 is broken overall. It's not. I find Evernote 10 on my Windows and Android devices to be reliable, fast, and productive. Not flawless, not that nothing ever goes wrong. But it works well, and it does things, such as providing backlinks and instant syncing, that Legacy does not, and in  those ways it is superior. I should add, as IMHO everyone should, that this is true for my way of working, and clearly not for everyone's.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*

I think the key point is "in comparison to Legacy."  V10 is not a native app and in a direct comparison will never be as fast as Legacy.  That said, I think they have greatly improved the speed of V10 and for my purposes, it is fine.  I also think there is some friction in using v10 (more clicky than it needs to be) that could be improved and some relatively minor changes that could help placate the remaining Legacy crowd, and I wouldn't mind some of these changes either.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
58 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I think the key point is "in comparison to Legacy."  V10 is not a native app and in a direct comparison will never be as fast as Legacy.  That said, I think they have greatly improved the speed of V10 and for my purposes, it is fine.  I also think there is some friction in using v10 (more clicky than it needs to be) that could be improved and some relatively minor changes that could help placate the remaining Legacy crowd, and I wouldn't mind some of these changes either.

Yes to all of that, and IMHO an important corollary: v. 10 uses a framework rather than native apps for various reasons, and one of them is to create a similar experience across all platforms. A native app is faster. But it's slower to have to think, "Wait, I'm not on Windows, I'm on Android, I can't do this formatting; I have to do that a different way, if I can do it at all." Speed can be attained in more than one way. That said, (a) there's definitely still a bunch of friction in  the Android app, and I hope they'll get on that soon; and (b) if you only used Evernote on one platform (Windows, Mac, whatever), then the losses in the framework approach might outweigh the gains.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes to all of that, and IMHO an important corollary: v. 10 uses a framework rather than native apps for various reasons, and one of them is to create a similar experience across all platforms. A native app is faster. But it's slower to have to think ...

I agree with all that.  I think we need to get a couple of beers and clink glasses 🍻 😀.

It would be interesting to know if the majority of Legacy holdouts are single platform users. I'm not particularly fussy, but in the Legacy days, I was frustrated with the formatting differences I would see between desktop and mobile.  For the most part, I don't miss Legacy.

• Like 4
OK, one last try to explain my sight: I'm responsible for one Professional and five Teams Accounts - paying > 1.000 €/year. I think that's enough to insist on a reliable service within the app and around it (support). Service within the app decreased a lot (counted in speed and functionality). Support is no more available - and if I get an answer, it consists of useless statements like "please wait" or "supply more information" - even if former answers told me that (other collegues) were able to reproduce the erroneous effect(s).

I'm willing to find workarounds or adopted workflows because I'm aware of their need to renew software components. I'm in this business as well. But playing games with the customers or relying on user forums to offer support instead of company-trained and -paid support staff is bad behaviour.

But now let's go for a sunny Sunday afternoon 😎
  • Like 4
  • Level 5

Where I agree: Support is currently a dreadful experience. They got much faster, but the initial response to my tickets was completely useless.

There were questions asked and advise given that had nothing to do with my bug report. It even read as if an AI was shelling out standard prose from a text library.

On my answer to simply READ my ticket, I am now awaiting a response.

Assuming part of what we pay is used for support, they better see it is used efficiently - fast.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
On 2/9/2024 at 9:01 PM, macfixer said:

I would move to a newer Legacy build in the near term, and Evernote 10.x in the long term.

A newer Legacy build than what you have currently can be downloaded from here: https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.3.9348.exe

I hope that helps!

Thanks for that info and link, macfixer. Will be difficult but I'll have to think about why I am not on the latest EN Legacy build (I always stay current with all my software unless there's a reason not to). I do sort of recall having to revert back once, but I think that was when I tried to go to the then-current non-legacy app and found it to be a disaster. 

Thanks again to you, and all who have or will reply! Great community! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 2/10/2024 at 4:37 AM, AlbertR said:

lol You're not alone, Albert. There are at least two of us! LOL 

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 2/10/2024 at 5:37 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Yes (probably).  I was using Android Legacy until this week because I have an old phone,  but it stopped syncing with the server a week or two ago. 

I've now uninstalled it - I took the failure to sync as a sign that more server work has cut me off,  and it isn't worth spending time trying to fix it.  I mainly used the phone as a way to add images to my notes,  and I can still take the pictures and now email them to the server.

Asking to continue using Legacy is like wanting to buy your videos on Betamax because you still have a perfectly good player and prefer the format.  Evernote is about to retire Legacy permanently because there are better and more efficient options out there - I sympathise that you may not like them,  but that will be the only option soon. 

I've been saying for weeks that its better to adopt v10 now than have to scrabble to adapt when the old servers stop working - we'll be happy to try to help with any issues,  and you can (for the moment) always dip back into Legacy for a quick familiar fix.  I know the 'help' here is sometimes snarky,  but that's usually because the initial request comes in with attitude and aggression. 

Somebody here has probably found a way round any problem you may face,  and I'd hope we'll be as helpful as possible...

Although I don't fully agree with the analogy you present, gazumped, I commend you for your post and what you are saying. I wish more postings--from those asking for help as well as those offering help--would tone down the "attitude" and just try to work the topic through for the benefit of the greater good. Thank you for posting what you did!

• Like 3
On 2/10/2024 at 3:01 AM, macfixer said:

I would move to a newer Legacy build in the near term, and Evernote 10.x in the long term.

A newer Legacy build than what you have currently can be downloaded from here: https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.3.9348.exe

I hope that helps!

Thanks. I'm going back to Legacy as v10 is just *****. Everything is slow. It takes forever to load, open a page, open a note, even scroll is a pain. I don't understand why is so hard to make this app work like... the Legacy!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

I don't understand why is so hard to make this app work

I'm using v10 daily with no issues - I've been a user for 16 years or so (v10 for around 18 months) and I don't miss Legacy at all.  Don't know why you're having such issues,  but your device(s),  hard drive (SSD's are the best!), internet connection and Evernote version(s) are all factors.  Maybe give us some more detail and we'll give you some suggestions to look at - or as you subscribe,  add your request to the Support queue and give them a workout...  eventually...

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm using v10 daily with no issues - I've been a user for 16 years or so (v10 for around 18 months) and I don't miss Legacy at all.  Don't know why you're having such issues,  but your device(s),  hard drive (SSD's are the best!), internet connection and Evernote version(s) are all factors.  Maybe give us some more detail and we'll give you some suggestions to look at - or as you subscribe,  add your request to the Support queue and give them a workout...  eventually...

Evernote 10 sucks both in my home and work computers - both new i7 64GB memory, with SSD, 1gb internet connection. Everything is slow. Open a tab is a pain, scrolling is a pain. I'm back to Legacy. If Evernote stops supporting it I'll just move to Notion which has zero issues - I've been using it for active work and Evernote as a backup tool, but I'm not gonna pay (a lot) just to have a backup. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

Evernote 10 sucks both in my home and work computers - both new i7 64GB memory, with SSD, 1gb internet connection. Everything is slow. Open a tab is a pain, scrolling is a pain. I'm back to Legacy. If Evernote stops supporting it I'll just move to Notion which has zero issues - I've been using it for active work and Evernote as a backup tool, but I'm not gonna pay (a lot) just to have a backup. 

What you are describing is not typical.  When first changing over from Legacy to V10, there is an initial note conversion process that the system does that slows the app and it can take some time to finally complete (and Evernote should have put a help article in place detailing this).  We can provide other ideas if you are interested, but if you are happy with Notion and it does what you want, no one here will argue and it is best to move over completely before Legacy is shut down.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

What you are describing is not typical.  When first changing over from Legacy to V10, there is an initial note conversion process that the system does that slows the app and it can take some time to finally complete (and Evernote should have put a help article in place detailing this).  We can provide other ideas if you are interested, but if you are happy with Notion and it does what you want, no one here will argue and it is best to move over completely before Legacy is shut down.

I don't prefer Notion, but it seems to be the only option once Legacy is no longer available as I really don't have the patience for the constant lag in v10. I've tried even running just evernote v10, no other apps to see if there was something going on and... nothing. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds just to open a note.

1 minute ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

Sometimes it takes 10 seconds just to open a note.

I'm not an EN10 fan 😉. But this is really not the normal case. I'm using EN10 in parallell to Legacy just to switch over if it's OK for me (currently it is not...).

Speed got better - nearly acceptable - it gives you time the think over what you are doing. 🤔

Functionality lacks (date handling at all (format - sorting - editing), working with two account only possible with one in the App and the other in Web, RTE hinders some automation tasks, ...). But I think it's worth to fight for fixes than to move to other tools (esp. Notion...)

Support is anaesthetised this moment. Hope they will get it back to live soon...

• Level 5

If you have recently switched to v10, let it run in the background. The data structure is different to legacy. Can take a week or so.

If it prevails, uninstall using Revo / AppCleaner, restart, reinstall from the website.

Don‘t mix legacy and v10 use. It will cause a permanent data conversion. This includes the web client (if used).

• Thanks 1

OK, really boring. Did you try to work in List mode (Ctrl-F7) and|or to remove HTML-formating of clipped notes? Are some Virus scanner running that try to verify every file open operation or HTML display? Is your CPU occupied by Evernote.exe process(es)? Is your SSD disk loaded by more than 1%? What's about your Memory usage  - mine is 12 GB of 36, EN10 needs the most - but it's not a problem:

image.png.265e7dd548f9f0c668bfbeb026b65179.png

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Don‘t mix legacy and v10 use. It will cause a permanent data conversion.

Not a problem on my systems.

If you have recently switched to v10, let it run in the background. The data structure is different to legacy. Can take a week or so.

Sad - but true. I've both version running in parallel since weeks. Legacy covers app. 20 GB in D:\Evernote\Databases wheras EN10 takes 20 GB in C:\Users\Albert\Appdata\Roaming\Evernote.

image.png.9b5d672a24f1f3cd06ad493134c4d46e.png

I assume EN10 has completed the full sync (cannot be sure so far 😞) . So this might be reason for not having that performance probs like Raphael.

If it prevails, uninstall using Revo / AppCleaner, restart, reinstall from the website.

Don‘t mix legacy and v10 use. It will cause a permanent data conversion. This includes the web client (if used).

The idea that you have to wait a week for an app to work seems preposterous. But no, I've been (trying to) using for months.

• Level 5

@AlbertR You should tackle it like a hunter: You place yourself in front of the 🦊hole, watching it. If no 🦊 shows up in a week, there is no 🦊 .

Which translates to: Open the app, put it into the background. If there is no (or only minuscule) network traffic, there is no ongoing download activity any more.

• Level 5
Just now, Raphael Tsavkko said:

The idea that you have to wait a week for an app to work seems preposterous. But no, I've been (trying to) using for months.

It’s not about using it off the server. It’s about converting the local database.

What is your system config ? On what sort of drive is the local database installed ?

7 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Not a problem on my systems.

Sad - but true. I've both version running in parallel since weeks. Legacy covers app. 20 GB in D:\Evernote\Databases wheras EN10 takes 20 GB in C:\Users\Albert\Appdata\Roaming\Evernote.

image.png.9b5d672a24f1f3cd06ad493134c4d46e.png

I assume EN10 has completed the full sync (cannot be sure so far 😞) . So this might be reason for not having that performance probs like Raphael.

Interesting, I have over 20GB linked to Legacy, but only bout 500MB with v10.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It’s not about using it off the server. It’s about converting the local database.

What is your system config ? On what sort of drive is the local database installed ?

It' the default installation, on my main SSD with over 200GB free space. I installed the Legacy on a secondary SSD, yet, works perfectly.

Open the app, put it into the background. If there is no (or only minuscule) network traffic, there is no ongoing download activity any more.

Can't believe EN10 works this way. I've tried it with my first tests and got the impression that EN10 starts to sync - but only what it assumes to be necessary the next time. After the system calms down it immediately resumes with network traffic along with some some clicks in EN windows.

And: If EN10 really tries to sync completely it should take all available network/cpu/disk resources to with low priority. So if the rest of the system does nothing, EN10 should be ready after some hours - not days and not weeks.

• Level 5

Somehow it has put a full download on all of my Macs, and keeps it up when new notes arrive.

It can’t be a random act, even if we minor earthlings don’t understand THE WAY OF THE CLOUD 😱

That currently offline access doesn’t work has nothing to do with the data itself missing.

6 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

Interesting, I have over 20GB linked to Legacy, but only bout 500MB with v10.

So EN10 is far away from having all notes synced to your local disk. Do you have checked this setting?

image.png.a0739e24309edf68c690f717c45c8d2a.png

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

So EN10 is far away from having all notes synced to your local disk. Do you have checked this setting?

image.png.a0739e24309edf68c690f717c45c8d2a.png

Yeah, it was just a comment that's interesting because I do keep everything in the cloud. BUT even before that, the app was still slow. I thought it might make things easier, and smoother, but it didn't.

It can’t be a random act, even if we minor earthlings don’t understand THE WAY OF THE CLOUD 😱

Even intergalactic cloud services like OneNote, OneDrive and others know and show whether they're ready with the sync. It's only EN10 (OK - in my limited view) that hides this information (I presume: by intend - but why?)

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 minutes ago, Raphael Tsavkko said:

Yeah, it was just a comment that's interesting because I do keep everything in the cloud. BUT even before that, the app was still slow. I thought it might make things easier, and smoother, but it didn't.

The desktop client is build to work primarily with local data. If you don’t allow it, you are basically running the web client in disguise.

@Raphael Tsavkko Don't know how many notebooks you have - but one possibility to force a sync is to exports notebooks to ENEX files. Doing so, all notes have to be loaded from server before they can be written to disk.

Because this operation is only possible notebook by notebook, this can be a time consuming test. But EN product managment decided to disable Export of all notes in one step in EN10 for any reason 🙄

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The desktop client is build to work primarily with local data.

True if local data is available. But its very first goal is to simulate immediate access to all data from it's first start on. So it loads some metadata (notebook, tags) first, then notes that are requested to display. Before every note download it checks whether it's available locally.

But it does not try to load all notes immediately if it is not really necessary (see above...).

• Level 5
7 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

…. But EN product management decided to disable Export of all notes in one step in EN10 for any reason 🙄

Export of all notes never was a viable a viable option. The notebook information is missing in ENEX. Who exported all ended up with a single heap of notes.

Furthermore if the size of the ENEX exceeded the upload limit, a reimport failed.

Even with legacy the correct, usable export was done by notebooks. It was more of a trap for unsuspecting users that „All“ was even possible.

12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The notebook information is missing in ENEX. Who exported all ended up with a single heap of notes.

Yep, I know. "Forgetting" notebook names and note GUIDs in ENEX format has been an design fail even in Legacy times 😉. Missing notebook names might be worked around by assigning tags with notebook names - but as long as GUIDs are dropped completely all internal note links will go away with export/import operations. I think this "forgotten" feature was forced to disable easy and complete transfer of data to foreign systems.

But dumping all notes to ENEX file(s) is a workaround to force EN10 to load all notes to the local disk (to be able to export them). That huge ENEX itself is useless.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

I think this "forgotten" feature was forced to disable easy and complete transfer of data to foreign systems.

Doesn't seem to have stopped a lot pf people trying it - and since I don't use internal note linking much,  a regular ENEX backup for my notebooks is quite sufficient for me.

(I imagine it would be impossible to design a system of internal links that survived transfer to new software anyway.)

• Level 5

Using an UUID in another software as an identifier requires the importing app to make sense out of UUIDs. Which is highly unlikely, given that each app has its own setup and structure. I could imagine that it is possible to write a converter if a) the source UUIds are known, b) the target apps way of linking is known and c) somebody is willing to invest the knowledge and time to code it.

Using an UUID in another software as an identifier requires the importing app to make sense out of UUIDs.

All systems that manage masses of data should use UUIDs to identify data fragments. Some dumb systems (like Notion 😉) have their own system that isn't really unique across accounts. Some better system (like EN I guess) use 128 bit UUIDs like AE338CCF-BCF6-462A-A3B5-DCA5FB8A03FD.

If EN would add note UUIDs to their ENEX files at least EN itself would benefit from it: During import it has to check whether a note with a given UUID is already present. If so (only possible after re-importing same notes often), the importer has to create a new one (like it does currently all the time).

If the UUID is not present, it should be re-used. This makes it possible to re-use all internal note URLs because it is based on the UUIDs.

If other systems do not use 128Bit UUIDs, they cannot import such enhanced ENEX files - not an EN problem 😉

• Like 1

I've been living in fear of this for months now. I looked all over for alternatives, but the effort required to switch is more than the effort required to put up with the terrible "improvements" they've made to EN.

I would advise either finding an alternative now, or putting up with the new version in spite of its crappiness. I don't trust the new EN owners to let us know well enough in advance of Legacy's demise.

As long as you're OK with less features, slow response time, no support, and an outrageous price hike, I don't see that there's anything to complain about... 🙂 

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, kkarney said:

As long as you're OK with less features, slow response time, no support, and an outrageous price hike, I don't see that there's anything to complain about... 🙂 

Here's my reply to your other,  identical post.  Please don't post more than once.

• Like 1

To go back for a second to the problem that @Raphael Tsavkko mentioned,  in case you are still here, Raphael...

as I believe others mentioned, this does not seem like typical behavior.  If were experiencing this (I'm not...), I would suspect some corruption in one or more of your local databases, even though the problem is occurring on two computers.  You may just want to switch to different software.  But before doing that, recognizing that changing software would be a massive effort:

I would deauthorize one of your computers and just focus on one.  (Doesn't matter which one.)  Then, I would completely uninstall Evernote from the authorized computer, using Appcleaner to completely remove all remnants of the installation.  Download and install a new copy of Evernote from the >Evernote< website.  Open the program, leave it open, and wait.  You can use Evernote, but be patient:  see if performance improves over the next week or so on your one authorized computer as the system rebuilds your local database.  After about a week, is Evernote performing better? In not, then I don't have any more suggestions.  If Evernote is performing better...

Now go to the second computer, completely uninstall it with appcleaner, reinstall it, etc.  This should give you uncorrupted local copies of your databases on both machines.  Is Evernote performing better now?  If so, fantastic.

If not, it seems that your only choices would then be to switch software or try to get help from Evernote support.  Support will probably ask you to go through a process similar to the one I have described anyway.

Vinnie

Regarding retaining note linkage:  Yarle (for moving to Markdown systems like Obsidian), Joplin's Evernote Plugin, and probably others make an attempt to deduce linkages by matching the text of the link with the name of another note.   There are all sorts of challenges with this, but it does partially work.