⚠️Sort of column coming!👍 Fixed: Tags not sorted big usability regression (per Evernote 10.75.1)

Go to solution Solved by Cristiano478,

@Federico Simionato  Evernote finally, about a year ago, fixed in v10 the sorting of tags-per-note in the cell of each note in de note-list view a year ago or so, and now you un-did that fix regression compared to legacy  Tags are now in a random order per note since 10.75.1 BREAKING my workflow as a COO totally. ☹😢😔

I almost became an ambassador again, but this... I'm very sad. Please restore what you broke in 10.75.x, and make tags sorted again in the field itself in the noteview. If this is not considered a bug and not fixed soon, I'll start looking for alternatives, because it makes using evernote for me and my (paying!) peers not feasable anymore. This is not a threat, but reality for me......I would be very sad to leave...

Please let me know if this is a bug to be fixed, or considered "the new way". I also dislike the scrollbar there in each cell, but I can live with those if they are always max-left positioned as a default.   🙌👊👍

*) While you are at it, please fix the sorting when you click on the column name/title in the listview itself again, This has never worked in v10, but worked perfectly in legacy, supporting all kind of workflows, like e.g. the TSW/GTD much better. 😊😄😸

This is a screenshot of some private notes showing the tags not sorted-per-note anymore...

image.png.391cd4f3a4e25ed47cc4fb520d58e73a.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Does anybody have the link or instructions to create a ticket? My bookmarked (and much used) link doesn't work anymore. 😞 Tried to look everywhere. Need some help from my peers......

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, MvdH said:

Does anybody have the link or instructions to create a ticket? My bookmarked (and much used) link doesn't work anymore. 😞 Tried to look everywhere. Need some help from my peers......

Have you tried from mobile?

Settings -> Support -> Submit a support request

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Is this the beta of the new UI because it is still working fine for me in the old UI?

Interesting. I am not in any beta program, as far as I know. I don't have time for that. How can I see that? It went wrong the second it updated itself to 10.75.1 just today, I had been telling me in the UI of Windows 10.7x.x that this update was available for 1, max 2 days now. Before that all was fine.

I was for a short period in some non-functioning beta-UI accident a little while ago, like many of us. They fixed that as soon as they noticed and when I restarted evernote I had the old UI again. If you can help me to get back to that old UI you mentioned, I'd like that very much so!

My UI also changes the color of filtered tags to purple. Is this an indication I got switched back to some beta UI?

image.png

26 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Have you tried from mobile?

Settings -> Support -> Submit a support request

Thank you! That worked to submit this issue. On my phone it went to a link in the webbrowser. I copied that link to Chrome in Windows and then I could submit. I changed my bookmark to this location. 🙌👊👍 The ticket number is 3830959 for anyone wanting to refer to that.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Is this the beta of the new UI because it is still working fine for me in the old UI?

This may not be in beta any longer.  There have been other reports indicating this may be rolling out to other users.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This may not be in beta any longer.  There have been other reports indicating this may be rolling out to other users.

Well that's *****... It still has regression problems. More things have changed indeed, the pick date window also changed, and much more. That's fine as long as it doesn't break my flow or take away fixes they delivered earlier in v10 like the sorting on tags which is my main problem right now (and I hope it stays like that).

image.png.bd12ac911383f0139006f2baa070be72.png

• Level 5

They said in the blog post something like „we will blind test acceptance by distributing the change to a number of users“. The idea is that those who volunteer for a beta is a selected subgroup of users (let’s call them sort of nerdy). Switching users in a blind test probably gives less biased feedback .

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

They said in the blog post something like „we will blind test acceptance by distributing the change to a number of users“. The idea is that those who volunteer for a beta is a selected subgroup of users (let’s call them sort of nerdy). Switching users in a blind test probably gives less biased feedback .

Thx. That could be it. It makes me feel like a guinee pig. I do understand the principle of roling out in waves, but give users some control. I want to volunteer to be in the group for "stable, mainstream versions only". 😞  They should introduce that...  Some tiers like "rock-solid", "pilot", "beta", "prototype"... I don't have time to spend on Evernotes quirks...............

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

See it as „advanced training“ … 🤣

Of THEM... Right... I understand you.... 😄 ☹😢😔

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

See it as „advanced training“ … 🤣

To be honest: It's a bad idea to select beta-testers by chance. There are tooo many users relying on the service. We pay for that - not for gaming. Why not simply have a setting "(_) Try beta features"... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Just tried tagging a note with various options in 10.75.2 and they came back sorted correctly into alpha order.

New UI or old UI?

• Level 5
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

That would explain how I had the "good fortune" to get the new UI when I manually updated to 10.75.2 in the Windows desktop today, while remaining with the old UI in v. 10.75.1 in the Web client. I promptly sent in to feedback@evernote.com some indication of my "acceptance" of the UI. Don't know whether it will filter to the right place from there.

IAC, is there really a link between the UI and the fixing/breaking of features? With 10.75.1 and the old UI in the Web client, I get the same problem with searching for notes with tables as in 10.75.2 and the new UI in the desktop app:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Just tried tagging a note with various options in 10.75.2 and they came back sorted correctly into alpha order.

I just installed 10.75.2 and the tags are still in random order, like in my opening post screenshot. I still got the new UI, which I don't mind, except for this bug. Conclusion: Not solved in 10.75.2.  ☹😢😔

Little additional information. When adding tags to a new note, after returning to the note list/view, over there the tags of that note in the Tags cell of the view, get the order in which you added them to that note. In v10.74.x and prior this was nicely alphabetically sorted, just like in legacy. Extra detail: When opening the note itself, when you look below the note, the tags of that note are nicely sorted in the right alphabetical order. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

I just installed 10.75.2 and the tags are still in random order, like in my opening post screenshot. I still got the new UI, which I don't mind, except for this bug. Conclusion: Not solved in 10.75.2.  ☹😢😔

Also on 10.75.2 with the new UI and interestingly my tags do show ordered.  Mine are letters only so can't speak to numbers or special characters.  I added them out of order and they were reordered in the tag list.

• Thanks 1

Thx. That's interesting. It works below the single note windows. There the sorting is OK. It worked in 10.74.x old UI. It worked in legacy. Hope they notice and fix this soon. 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, MvdH said:

It works below the single note windows.

Mine sorts correctly in the main window as well as in single notes.

Edit - out of curiosity, if you haven't already, try creating a new note and see what happens.  Maybe it is only affecting existing notes?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Mike P said:

New UI or old UI?

Hmmnn.  New UI.  Not an exhaustive test - just chose a few tags with out-of-order names,  saw they were in order when processed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Edit - out of curiosity, if you haven't already, try creating a new note and see what happens.  Maybe it is only affecting existing notes?

New notes also wrong. It might have to do with starting with starting with & # @ $! Etc.. I could test that later when I'm at a desk again traveling the coming days. 

Em 09/02/2024 at 09:25, MvdH disse:

*) While you are at it, please fix the sorting when you click on the column name/title in the listview itself again, This has never worked in v10, but worked perfectly in legacy, supporting all kind of workflows, like e.g. the TSW/GTD much better. 😊😄😸

This is something that always bothered me a lot about v10 and is one of the reasons why I still use legacy to this day. It is not possible to sort by "size", "location" and others. Only by "Title", "Update Date" and "Creation Date". This makes it difficult, for example, to check which of my notes are large or small.

• Thanks 3
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

one of the reasons why I still use legacy to this day

Sooner or later you won't have any choices left - I mentioned elsewhere that my venerable Samsung Android with Evernote Legacy stopped syncing with the server a couple of weeks ago,  and I've now uninstalled it.  I can still email clips and shares to the server.  I'd take that as a sign that the End of Legacy is getting closer - and if you suddenly get flipped into that situation,  how will you continue? 

You either need to make a solid attempt to convert to v10 and find work-arounds for what you consider are the rough bits,  or you need to find a different app.

If you need some suggestions for alternative processes,  please lay out the details - I for one will try to be as constructive and helpful as I can be if we keep things polite.  (It's generally bad behaviour and name-calling that starts fights around here!)

I do urge you to take action though - the clock is definitely ticking on Legacy access.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2024 at 7:14 AM, MvdH said:

New notes also wrong. It might have to do with starting with starting with & # @ $! Etc.. I could test that later when I'm at a desk again traveling the coming days. 

I have Windows, v10.75.2, new interface.  I ran a test of a new note, using tags starting with letters and with special characters:

• The note itself sorts all tags correctly
  • The lists views - side and top - "sort" by the order of entry (in otherwords they do not sort)
  • The Snippets and Cards view sort all the tags correctly

This is definitely a bug and I agree it should be fixed asap.

I can confirm they did fix the primary problem I mention in the opening post: the sorting within each cell of the tags column in the note lists/views. 🙌👊👍 The fix is in version 10.76.2 I just installed.

They did not fix the ability to sort on the the tag column itself, which was possible in legacy, but not possible in any v10.x version. I still use timeconsuming workarounds for that. 😐 🙌👊👍

• Like 3
  • MvdH changed the title to ⚠️Sort of column coming!👍 Fixed: Tags not sorted big usability regression (per Evernote 10.75.1)

Me: Hi Evernote support. Thank you for the update. I can confirm half the bug is fixed: Sorting in the cell itself. UI was VERY happy woith your message, but half disappointed, because part of the bug is still there: Clicking on the Tags column name doesn't sort the column. »
...please fix the sorting when you click on the column name/title in the listview itself again, This has never worked in v10, but worked perfectly in legacy, supporting all kind of workflows, like e.g. the TSW/GTD much better... Can you please let me know if this bug is on your radar and on the backlog to be fixed??

Evernote: Hello Mark, Thanks for your patience. 
 We are aware of the issue, and our developers are actively investigating. While we don't have a specific timeline for the fix, rest assured that it's on our radar. We recommend checking regularly for app updates. Have a nice day!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, MvdH said:

Evernote: Hello Mark, Thanks for your patience. 
 We are aware of the issue, and our developers are actively investigating. While we don't have a specific timeline for the fix, rest assured that it's on our radar. We recommend checking regularly for app updates. Have a nice day!

Forgive my cynicism, but ... 😂 I just got more or less the same response when I queried about the status of a bug in the Android app that I reported a year ago, and which was "prioritized" by the developers last May.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I got that response on a ticket of mine. I guess it's better than what @janndk got which is basically we can't reproduce this, we're now closing your ticket.

I've gotten answers on tickets before like "very interesting, not on our radar" and "in the next version!" and now "on our radar, actively busy with investigating, watch coming versions". There seem to be different levels of "promising" according to the phase/urgency they assign to an issue. That's good and helpful...if they are accurate nuances.

9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Forgive my cynicism, but ... 😂 I just got more or less the same response when I queried about the status of a bug in the Android app that I reported a year ago, and which was "prioritized" by the developers last May.

We'll see what it means. I understand your cynisism. Thx for sharing your experience to nuance my happiness enough to not have a mental setback too much, later on. 😉 I share that a bit, but I'm a optimistic wishful-thinker. 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

I share that a bit, but I'm a optimistic wishful-thinker. 😉

Yeah, me too 👍. I got tree similar eMails on different open ticket within 2 minutes last friday. All stating that my points have been moved to development now. Either they moved support activities to development or development cares for fixes now or ...? 🤔

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

they are basically pre-typed responses to common queries.

I know (and got many other such in the past). But the last stated "have passed it on to our developers" - which was new 😉

• Level 5*

All first level responses are typically scripted, but the move to development implies they either acknowledge there is a problem or don’t understand it well enough to respond.  I’m going to be optimistic here as well.

@AlbertR were your tickets kept open or closed after you received the moved to development response?