Question on Evernote's speed and reliability

Question on Evernote's speed and reliability  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you agree with this sentence? «Evernote's speed and reliability are much better than they were a few months ago.»

• Strongly disagree
    • Somewhat disagree
    • Somewhat agree
    • Strongly agree

• Level 5

Had to replace my database on both Macs / desktop client several times in the last weeks.

Reaction time had become unbearable, spinning circle on small actions, no new note opening etc. Uninstall and reinstall solved the issue when online. But from the last replacement the offline database on my MacBook Pro was not recreated, leading to no access to my notes when on the train (right now, for example).

When it works, speed is OK for me, but I don't see a change to 6 months ago (or even a year), always on v10.

I gotta say I strongly agree, I’m not saying perfection, but the desktop app is faster and responsive, as are the mobile apps, the sync issues seem to be gone - but me trusting that will take some time, a lot of the data I enter is not stuff I want to risk losing so I tend to be a little cautious there still. 

• Like 3

I think that the team is in the right direction. It is for sure improved but has room for improvements and mostly to be reliable across platforms.

Next step, introduce new features and integrations (to also justify the price increase)

Keep up the good work and continue the engagement with the users.

• Level 5*

I appreciate that you have reached out to forum users.  My response can’t be measured by the options provided.  It depends on specifically what is being compared.  The “of a few months ago” timeframe is open to interpretation.  Should we compare before RTE to say v10.59?  If that is the comparison then I would have to strongly disagree.  Before RTE, I didn’t have speed issues, rarely had conflicts, and never had data loss.  Since then, I’ve had data loss, and even now, still daily have sync issues with the scratch pad. If that is the comparison, then it has been a step back for me.  If the comparison is between 10.59 and the very latest version, then yes, there has been improvement.  The team has done a good job fixing introduced bugs, smoothing out RTE and improving speed overall.

So instead of voting and giving the wrong impression, I thought a longer explanation would be better.  I feel the team is moving in the right direction but there have been missteps along the way.  I’m interested in seeing what the next few months bring.

• Like 3

Compared to legacy it still is MUCH slower for my process/usecases. Compared to the v10 version I switched to in januari, coming from legacy, it is MUCH faster. 

Compared to legacy it is much less reliable. Compared to a few months ago v10 is much more reliable. 

Android: on middle class devices unfortunately still way to slow for daily fluent usage, waiting time for any action within EN10. The legacy app was lightening fast on these devices. Still suffering from this...

Windows: somewhat catched up, fluent workflow most often.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I only "somewhat agree," because I've never suffered the speed issues that so many have reported. But it's certainly more reliable than it was when RTE was introduced in May. OTOH, issues remain in the Android app, e.g. handwriting on Samsung devices.

I have a 4-year-old Samsung A70 and have no issues with Handwriting, it works fine.

9 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@bmcl26, @ChristianJB, nice for you. Please see the following and several other threads on this in the Android forum. Perhaps it only happens on more recent devices.

It is strange, how some seem to work okay and others don't,  I have never experienced many problems with EN and my Samsung Android phones, my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S6, and it worked okay (although a lot slower than the present one which has more RAM).

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Thank you all for your answers, this is very useful for me.

If you voted "Strongly disagree" or "Somewhat disagree" and didn't write here why, please consider commenting below here, as it's super useful to surface the most frequent problems and help us prioritize correctly. We're aiming at solving everything, but since resources are not infinite prioritizing well is paramount.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I missed the survey but great props for speed improvements and working through things.  The reliability part is a bit tricky in that it seems that things are breaking with each update (as well as things being fixed).  As you know, known bugs are painful but since they are known, folks work around them till they are fixed (or, I guess leave), unknown bugs (newly created ones) catch one by surprise -- sometimes painfully.

Thanks to you for your presence here and to you and your team for going full steam on this.  I look forward to even better stability which I think will come with time.

• Like 1

I've been putting so much work into fixing EN,  I have felt I should be getting paid. Working with Support now, been hoping for an Update.  

Android is my daily driver...                    If I compare to iOS (iPad Pro,iPad Air 1) It's a different behaving App altogether (new notes & images show in real time, no error messages). I'm not even being picky about the little things yet.  If this is the case, should have invested in the iPhone instead of my SG23Ultra...

I just need my EN to Work.

Update has not hit GPlay yet, but if it runs smoothly, I Thank you.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2023 at 8:19 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Thank you all for your answers, this is very useful for me.

If you voted "Strongly disagree" or "Somewhat disagree" and didn't write here why, please consider commenting below here, as it's super useful to surface the most frequent problems and help us prioritize correctly. We're aiming at solving everything, but since resources are not infinite prioritizing well is paramount.

I just replied to you in another thread, and my comment there succinctly summarizes my dissatisfaction with Evernote's reliability since the change to CRDT. I experienced sync conflicts in the past, and those were extremely annoying, but I never had notes randomly deleting information like I have since the switch to CRDT:

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, PinkElephant said:

Reaction time had become unbearable, spinning circle on small actions, no new note opening etc. Uninstall and reinstall solved the issue when online.

Me too ... "Unbearable" is how I would describe my experience for over a month now... with my Win10 Desktop Evernote V10.66-5 installation (Paid Personal Plan). Btw, I always apply the latest update when prompted within the app.

Support was completely unhelpful, and this was after having to wait over 10 days for them to respond. Very disappointing because I have had great experiences in the past, which would have been before BendingSpoons took over.

That being said, I see that others are not suffering like me with speed and useability issues. At least this gives me hope 🙏.

Please can anyone offer me suggestions on how I might be able to get back to normal? I am literally having to go do something else (multitasking), while waiting for Evernote to perform simple tasks like adding a tag, embedding a small image from my clipboard, moving a note to a different folder, etc., etc. And then often times after the spinning circle finally finishes, the intended action fails... or worse, Evernote completely crashes. Also... doing simple searches is hit and miss to put it nicely.

"Unbearable" actually does not even begin to describe the pain I am experiencing :(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Level 5

Purge the install: Log out, quit the client. Now use Revo Uninstaller to remove all parts from the disk. Restart the PC.

Go to the EN website, download a fresh installer. Install, open, log in.

And now let it run in the background. You can use it, but when you don’t, still keep it open. It will take a while to download a fresh copy from the cloud server.

• Level 5

It is a sign of a incompletely loaded local database when attachments don‘t show.

It can take several days (!) on a good network connection with the app up and running (on desktops can be in the background) until it has downloaded all. Unfortunately there is no indicator like on mobile to see if the download has finally executed.

My best bet is to open Task Manager / Activity monitor and go to the network tab. When there is activity (mainly in the download direction) for the EN app while it has not been in use for several minutes, you can assume it is still downloading.

• Level 5

Sorry, the discussion and latest answer(s) in this thread were directed at solving a speed issue on a desktop client.

If you have a problem with the offline download on a mobile client, you are just hijacking here.

Open a new thread, or search for an ongoing concerned with offline download on mobile.