Clipper & Gmail broken (Version 7.14.0.197-9b195f3)

EricBen

Anybody else having trouble with the Web Clipper and Gmail?  It no longer recognizes Gmail as email - I can only clip 'Full Article', 'Simplified Article', etc.  Until this week, it could clip the email format to Evernote 10.

I'm using Clipper version 7.14.0.197-9b195f3.

Eric

• Like 3
  • Ex Employees
On 9/17/2021 at 5:37 AM, EricBen said:

Anybody else having trouble with the Web Clipper and Gmail?  It no longer recognizes Gmail as email - I can only clip 'Full Article', 'Simplified Article', etc.  Until this week, it could clip the email format to Evernote 10.

Eric

Hi @EricBen, thanks for mentioning this. We're aware of an intermittent issue where this may occur but it doesn't seem to be consistent. I've been trying to reproduce as you mention but have been unable to on my end on 7.14 so far. Anything change in your setup or the type of email where this happens most consistently or did it simply just start happening across the board for you this week? We don't have an estimate on when to expect a fix at this time, but any details you may have are welcome. @gazumped's suggestion could be a good possible workaround in the meantime to give you greater Gmail clipping consistency.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, EricBen said:

Eric

I have been having the exact same problem with Evernote web clipper version 7.14.0.197-9b195f3 and gmail using chrome Version 93.0.4577.82. I have a business account and every employee account is experiencing the same issue. 

In addition to the gmail recognition issue, all my employees have been complaining that the clipper crashing. I have experienced the clipper crashing recently from time to time as well , I logged out and back in and cleared the chrome cache and it works but the clipper is still temperamental.  This is happening on computers using windows 10 and chrome os.

3 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

We don't have an estimate on when to expect a fix at this time

JayBob this does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. The clipper has been a rock solid Evernote service for years. The ability to easily get emails into Evernote has been kept me loyal since 2012 . I hope it doesn't change. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

It is usually not the clipper making trouble (how it could, no new releases of the clipper, so it is the same software). It is the browsers making trouble, or to be more explicit: It is Chrome, driven by Google, making the trouble. It is a know issue that Google twists Chrome to make the web more Google-ish, allowing Google to cut an ever larger chunk of advertising money from the total flowing through the web.

When using Google services, you are (probably unwillingly) part of the game driving others out of the internet.

There are only 2 browsers left that don’t drive their GUI based on Chrome / Chromium in the machine room: This is Apple with Safari, only available on Apple devices, and Firefox / Mozilla. Apple can spare the money, FF is said to be struggling.

Back to the clipper: They will get it back to work, one day, sooner or later. I appreciate they are not distributing fuzzy feelings when they probably still know they have a way to go to get it back to work.

17 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Hi @EricBen, thanks for mentioning this. We're aware of an intermittent issue where this may occur but it doesn't seem to be consistent. I've been trying to reproduce as you mention but have been unable to on my end on 7.14 so far. Anything change in your setup or the type of email where this happens most consistently or did it simply just start happening across the board for you this week? We don't have an estimate on when to expect a fix at this time, but any details you may have are welcome. @gazumped's suggestion could be a good possible workaround in the meantime to give you greater Gmail clipping consistency.

Hi @Jay-Bob- thanks for responding!  The problem with the clipper is universal with Gmail. I've tried it with multiple emails, on multiple days, and with both Chrome and Edge as a browser. It doesn't recognize the email as email - it only offers to take a screenshot, or clip the 'Full Article', which doesn't provide the threading format or attachments.

@gazumped- the Gmail clipper simply isn't as good. You can't search for a notebook and it's much, much slower than the Extension for Chrome. It works, but isn't really functional for my workflow.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is usually not the clipper making trouble (how it could, no new releases of the clipper, so it is the same software). It is the browsers making trouble, or to be more explicit: It is Chrome, driven by Google, making the trouble. It is a know issue that Google twists Chrome to make the web more Google-ish, allowing Google to cut an ever larger chunk of advertising money from the total flowing through the web.

When using Google services, you are (probably unwillingly) part of the game driving others out of the internet.

There are only 2 browsers left that don’t drive their GUI based on Chrome / Chromium in the machine room: This is Apple with Safari, only available on Apple devices, and Firefox / Mozilla. Apple can spare the money, FF is said to be struggling.

Back to the clipper: They will get it back to work, one day, sooner or later. I appreciate they are not distributing fuzzy feelings when they probably still know they have a way to go to get it back to work.

@PinkElephantCan't really blame Google when it's happening with Edge as well. It might be Chromium (since they both run on this), but that's 90% of the browser market, so Evernote really has to fix the problem.  I'm sure they will, but it's been >1 week and they don't seem to know about the problem yet...

• Level 5

Edge Runs (as you say) on Chromium, so it is to be expected that a Chrome issue hits these browsers as well.

We had a problem about 2 years ago, when Apple released a new version of Safari. It took 6 weeks for EN to adapt the web clipper.

The solution usually is to use another browser - while Safari was down, FireFox worked just fine.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, EricBen said:

the Gmail clipper simply isn't as good. You can't search for a notebook and it's much, much slower than the Extension for Chrome. It works, but isn't really functional for my workflow.

I just have it saving to my default notebook,  so clips are pretty quick.  Another app - Filterize - checks all newly synced notes and tags/ reassigns them to different notebooks as necessary.

• Ex Employees

I'm glad to hear it! This does seem to be an intermittent issue though, so be aware it may return at some point (hopefully not). Our developers are working on resolving this in all scenarios, but no eta at the moment.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

I'm glad to hear it! This does seem to be an intermittent issue though, so be aware it may return at some point (hopefully not). Our developers are working on resolving this in all scenarios, but no eta at the moment.

I can repro this 100% of the time, in case that helps to narrow down the issue. I also have an easy workaround - triggering the clipper a second time will then recognize the email. If I refresh Gmail (or close Gmail tab and later reopen it), the process repeats.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I can repro this 100% of the time, in case that helps to narrow down the issue. I also have an easy workaround - triggering the clipper a second time will then recognize the email. If I refresh Gmail (or close Gmail tab and later reopen it), the process repeats.

That was an older problem. I was having that problem before as well - whenever I rebooted, this would happen. Clicking on the clipper a second time would make it recognize Gmail as email.

However, this other problem didn't fix itself with a second click. It kept happening. Seems still to be fixed for me (24 hours later).

5 hours ago, EricBen said:

That was an older problem. I was having that problem before as well - whenever I rebooted, this would happen. Clicking on the clipper a second time would make it recognize Gmail as email.

However, this other problem didn't fix itself with a second click. It kept happening. Seems still to be fixed for me (24 hours later).

Hmmm. I'm curious, what did you do to fix the "older" problem? I tested it again yesterday and is still an issue for me. Doesn't bother me much though, as I don't clip much from Gmail and the workaround is easy. I've got a long list of much bigger fish to fry. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing the same thing since a couple of days (today is October 13th), on Edge on Windows and Chrome (not Chromium) on Linux. No way I'm able to clip an email as "email". This is sort of a bummer. I have seen since ages problems like "the first time it does not work, then either retry, or reload gmail page, and it works" and happily co-lived with those, but now it's a 100% rate of no clipping. I'm forwarding emails now, but it requires more curating on my side. 😐

• Sad 2
9 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

I'm seeing the same thing since a couple of days (today is October 13th), on Edge on Windows and Chrome (not Chromium) on Linux. No way I'm able to clip an email as "email". This is sort of a bummer. I have seen since ages problems like "the first time it does not work, then either retry, or reload gmail page, and it works" and happily co-lived with those, but now it's a 100% rate of no clipping. I'm forwarding emails now, but it requires more curating on my side. 😐

Yes - it seems to be happening again. It was fixed for a few weeks, but now it's back.  Sad...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just wanted to chime in that I'm having the same issue.  I too was happily working with the workaround of just cancelling and reactivating clipper.  However, like the others have mentioned, that no longer works.  

I was running 7.14 when I noticed it today and even updated to 7.15.0.231-2ab77b6 today.  Still no joy. 

• Sad 2
On 9/24/2021 at 3:39 AM, Jay-Bob said:

@Jay-Bob It *has* returned, as you can see... And now it's more powerful than ever. IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN. And now with 100% reproducibility. Please please give the clipper some love, now it's really the weakest link of the Evernote chain IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, gozzilla78 said:

it's really the weakest link of the Evernote chain

Possibly because all the browser operators - Chrome / Firefox / etc - are apt to update and improve security on their products on a more or less daily basis.  I'd imagine Evernote have a few folks beavering away in the background,  trying to keep up.  Control is out of their hands...

• Level 5

I just read somewhere that the clipper team at EN would count 40 devs - which would be a very significant resource dedicated to keep up with the ever changing web design and security features.

It is 3 basic browser concepts ("engines"), and a far higher number of actual browsers derivated from them. Plus an ever growing number of editors, content managers and other tools applied to make web sites what they are today.

Kudos to the team that works on this !

• Like 2

I put in a support ticket about this and this is the response from Evernote - "you can save emails to Evernote on the previous version of Evernote Web Clipper. Unfortunately, we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote Web Clipper. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering".

37 minutes ago, ianfm said:

I put in a support ticket about this and this is the response from Evernote - "you can save emails to Evernote on the previous version of Evernote Web Clipper. Unfortunately, we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote Web Clipper. This is one of a handful of features we are still considering".

Thanks for filing the support ticket and for posting the response. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure the response from Evernote makes much sense? As far as I know there isn't an easy/supported way of using the previous version of web clipper. It's as if they copy/pasted a response regarding the new/legacy versions of evernote and just inserted web clipper instead? Would you mind responding to support to see if they can clarify?

On 10/15/2021 at 7:36 PM, Paul A. said:

Thanks for filing the support ticket and for posting the response. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure the response from Evernote makes much sense? As far as I know there isn't an easy/supported way of using the previous version of web clipper. It's as if they copy/pasted a response regarding the new/legacy versions of evernote and just inserted web clipper instead? Would you mind responding to support to see if they can clarify?

I asked the question and the reply was what I expected "Unfortunately you can no longer download or install the previous Evernote Web Clipper"

Google is well known for introducing new products and then discontinuing them a year or two later, but at least they give plenty of notice to their users. Evernote on the other hand just removes one of their most useful tools and doesn't bother giving any notice. @Jay-Bob

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I know that some users don't like the alternative, but there is an EN developed plug in for Gmail which will clip an Email. I suspect that dropping it from the web clipper presumes the use of the plug in.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, agsteele said:

I know that some users don't like the alternative, but there is an EN developed plug in for Gmail which will clip an Email. I suspect that dropping it from the web clipper presumes the use of the plug in.

Thanks for the advice, which I followed. But then remembered why I dropped the extension: any message in Japanese (I get a lot of them for work) is detected as "spam" or "suspicious" and the plugin won't allow me to clip the message... :(

On 10/18/2021 at 2:01 AM, agsteele said:

The Gmail plugin is not helpful for my use case as you cannot select individual emails from a long email thread (instead it wants to save the entire thread). I believe it also didn't work for one of my Google business accounts the last time I checked (that was a while ago and could have changed, but I did test the ability to save individual emails this week.)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, Paul A. said:

The Gmail plugin is not helpful for my use case as you cannot select individual emails from a long email thread (instead it wants to save the entire thread). I believe it also didn't work for one of my Google business accounts the last time I checked (that was a while ago and could have changed, but I did test the ability to save individual emails this week.)

Fully understand. I was simply pointing out that the plug in is the only option available.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

Ticket submitted. Will share their feedback as soon as I get it.

Got the following response when I submitted a ticket. At least they know there's a problem.

Raven B. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Oct 21, 2021, 7:58 PDT

Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. I'm Raven, and I'll be looking into your concern.

I understand that you're having trouble with clipping your emails with the Evernote Web Clipper. Please know that we are aware of this problem you experience and that our developers are working on a fix; however, we are unable to provide a definite time as to when it will be completed.

In the meantime, you may try these workarounds until a permanent fix is implemented:

1. The issue where the "Email" option doesn't show is usually the first time you click on the Web Clipper. A possible workaround is to close the Web Clipper box > and click on it again.
  2. You can also save emails to Evernote using your unique Evernote forwarding email address.

I apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused, and hoping for your patience and understanding on this matter.

Kind regards,

Raven B.
Customer Support Representative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, gozzilla78 said:

Ticket submitted. Will share their feedback as soon as I get it.

They weren't able to reproduce what I see unfortunately. So am out of luck for the time being -- will have to content myself with the email forwarding workaround, waiting until they fix the clipper.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally fixed!!

I updated Chrome, uninstalled the Web Clipper and then re-installed (version 7.17.0 for Chrome for Windows), and it seems to be recognizing Gmail again.  Yay!

This took a long time to fix, with minimal communication from Evernote. It has me worried...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Good it works again. Given there are at least 3 main browser engines with a ton of individual browsers derivated from them (each on its own update cycle), plus a wide field of extensions, what sort of communication would you expect ?

You solved the problem by updating browser and web clipper to the lastest  release level - which is exactly what support would have told you, as first measure, case you asked. This „make sure everything is up to date“ is even part of the automatic email everybody receives when contacting support.

So thanks for reporting here how it works.

• Like 1

Well it doesn't seem to be solved for good, as it just started happening for me. Tried closing and clipping a second time, tried removing and reinstalling the web clipper, neither helped. That's bad, because a majority of my clips come in via email. The gmail extension is slow and doesn't have the features I use, forwarding is a rather clumsy workaround. :(

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for adding to the observation pool. Can you post your configuration to allow a cross check ?

Sure, it is Web Clipper Version 7.17.0.273-302f6e1 on Chrome 6.0.4664.45, OS Windows 10 with latest update from Nov13th . Is there anything else that could be relevant?

[Edit] Had to restart my machine for completely different reasons, now gmail clipping works again. Strange bug indeed.

• Thanks 1