Date shortcut - format changed

JimPf

Idea

62 replies to this idea

1. Keyboard shortcuts do not work in Title line - cannot add date using keyboard. This is important if you have a diary and title each note by the date like I do. 
  2. Date no longer has Day of week, only the date. This is important to me and cannot be changed or modified to include the day of the week. 
  3. Auto update is a disaster for people that want to organize based on last modification, as I do. I need to open notes and review and do NOT want a review to change the last update stamp. I only want the last update stamp to update if I make a change to the note. New version changes last update even upon a review or opening of the note. 
  4. Last updated timestamp cannot be modified or edited. 
  5. Cannot remove preview pane. 

I will come back and add more issues as they occur. 

• Like 3

I also would like a solution, as it was/is an important function for dating and sorting notes. I create notes starting with date format 20201109 based on invoice, tax point, investment date record or for other project oriented reasons. It's a tool for sorting notes by note title according to dates (invoice, investment buy and sell date) not directly associated with the creation or update date of the note. I use it constantly....Now I am required to type the date versus short cut keys according to a pre-designate exact date format. Not possible anymore....short cut keys or pre-setting a date format. 

• Like 6

Not being able to use the shortcut to create the original date format is really interfering with my daily use of years and years of notes! I'm no longer able to be consistent with my note entries without typing in the date manually. Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense! Why can't they have a way to customize the date stamp back to the original way it has been formatting for all this time??!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I find it a disaster that this problem is still completely ignored by Evernote. An app where you can't even set your own date format?

After being a paying user of Evernote for many years I'm getting really close to end this and switch to OneNote instead on my Mac.

I've tried to write Evernote directly - but (surpise..) not even a response!

• Like 2

+1 for options to format the date. There's a workflow now to edit global shortcuts, they could add a date formatting option to the Date shortcut on the keyboard shortcuts list.

Losing the ability to format dates (and originally the keyboard shortcut all together) has been the single most disruptive aspect of the new version of Evernote. I hope the team prioritizes re-adding this feature soon.

I am in same boat as idff, the automator works well in anything other than Evernote.

I too use a certain date format for my workflows, this makes my work almost as challenging as working with OneNote. Please EverNote if anyone is listening/reading let's get some basics back to the app.

• Level 5*
On 10/25/2020 at 9:33 AM, JimPf said:

I regularly use Cmd-Shift-d to insert the current date in notes. With the "upgrade," the format used for the date has changed from my preferred short format ("2020-10-25" (set in Mac system preferences)) to the long format ("October 25, 2020" (also set in Mac system preferences). Is there a way to change this behavior back?

Personally, I use scripting to generate the date in my preferred format
In fact - the entire note title is generated by script

My scripting tools are Applescript and Keyboard Maestro

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/10/2020 at 12:38 PM, DavidJR said:

Date no longer has Day of week, only the date. This is important to me and cannot be changed or modified to include the day of the week. 

I merged your post with a similar ongoing discussion    
Note my response above to use scripting to generate date in the preferred format

Same issue here still. version info below. despite changing date on my mac preferences to xx/xx/xxxx, it still shows like "December 17, 2020". 

v 10.5.6 build 2168 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ninafel said:

Why

Is there a reason you switched to the Version 10 product   
It's a wotk-in-progress and there's no indication what the date format plans are

I'm stll using the Legacy product - install at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Come on Evernote this is a basic requirement, I wonder sometimes if you actually use the product yourself! I'm sure there are hundreds of users who rely on this particular shortcut, how difficult is it to give us an option to set the format. Stop spending so much time getting Evernote to look good and address these issues. It's now really slow too, and no shortcut for 'Checkboxes' or 'Dividers' why were these options removed? We all love Evernote and have done for years, please sort these out. idff

This is really frustrating. Changing the date from 2020-10-25 to the long format October 25, 2020 messes up my workflow too. I've been an Evernote user since 2010 but am seriously considering switching to a new app. Has anyone from Evernote even commented on this issue? Feels like they don't care if they're just silent about it. 

I am running on Windows 10 on two computers (Desktop and Laptop). I am getting different date formats on each machine. I have no idea what is impacting the format. One is MONTH DD, YYYY and the other is DD MONTH YYYY. (Both have US keyboard and region Australia).

Very frustrating

• Like 1

Changing the shortcut-inserted date from 2020-10-25 to the long format October 25, 2020 messes up my workflow too.

Why can't they just use the date format I've defined in my Mac Preferences?

I was mucking around with this.   Put these pieces together on your mac and you'll be set.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8651300 <-- Instructions for setting up an automator quick action and assigning it to a script.

https://gist.github.com/Glutexo/78c170e2e314f0eacc1a <-- Script for creating differently formatted dates.

And my script (a mashup of both of those two pages)  I use for yyyy-mm-dd:

on zero_pad(value, string_length)
	set string_zeroes to ""
	set digits_to_pad to string_length - (length of (value as string))
	if digits_to_pad > 0 then
		repeat digits_to_pad times
			set string_zeroes to string_zeroes & "0" as string
		end repeat
	end if
	set padded_value to string_zeroes & value as string
	return padded_value
end zero_pad

on run
	set now to (current date)

set result to (year of now as integer) as string
	set result to result & "-"
	set result to result & zero_pad(month of now as integer, 2)
	set result to result & "-"
	set result to result & zero_pad(day of now as integer, 2)

tell application "System Events"
		keystroke result
	end tell
end run

• Thanks 1

That's a great idea 'Not my name' I've set it up and added 'Evernote' and 'Notes' as explained using System Preferences->Security & Privacy->Accessibility.

It's working fine in 'Notes' but it will not work in 'Evernote' at all, which is frustrating.

Any ideas anyone?

Does anyone from Evernote actually read this? Surely it's best for them to add that option in Evernote, or at least acknowledge this thread?

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, JimPf said:

I regularly use Cmd-Shift-d to insert the current date in notes. With the "upgrade," the format used for the date has changed from my preferred short format ("2020-10-25" (set in Mac system preferences)) to the long format ("October 25, 2020" (also set in Mac system preferences). Is there a way to change this behavior back?

The absence of any meaningful preferences to set in Evernote | Preferences (just a checkbox for "Save Data at Log Out") is kind of astonishing . . . . 

exactly - i have same feelings..!!

• Like 1
On 12/25/2020 at 3:25 AM, Ninafel said:

Not being able to use the shortcut to create the original date format is really interfering with my daily use of years and years of notes! I'm no longer able to be consistent with my note entries without typing in the date manually. Why would they do that? It doesn't make sense! Why can't they have a way to customize the date stamp back to the original way it has been formatting for all this time??!!

Evernote is becoming crazy with the new updates. Voice recording is gone. Screenshot is gone. Date Format is gone. Preferences is gone. All in the name of upgradation.

Lamenting for being a Evernote user. Used to advocate for Evernote. But I can't anymore.

Hi Evernote. Please fix this to use the system short date format, like it used to. This new format is no good at all. Having to type dates since the new version.

When they announced the date shortcut was back I was "Yeah!". but then after CMD SHIFT D I was "Nooooooo!" 

You can always add as a preference if users really requested the Long Date format ( I seriously doubt that anyone likes this format).

Evernote is the worst regarding long-wished-for or long-complained-about issues.  I feel like the next software company that features -- front and center -- their new policy of listening to their customer base (what, something like .. when 20% of all registered users have clicked ✔ "I want this feature", we will make it a top priority for next release...?), they're going to become very, very popular, and quick.  Why not include a current list of requested features within the app itself, and let users vote on the their top 5 favorites, or something.. direct feedback.  What gets included on that requested feature list could come from an official feature/bugfix suggestion mechanism.  Was going to say, and just show the top requested features/bugfixes.. but to be completely transparent, you could show the most popular, in a main list, but allow users to see the complete list as well, and if some bizarre little obscure request suddenly gets a lot of traction, it could enter the main requests list...  Simple voting dictates Evernote (or whichever app) development priorities, at least on some track of the company's future efforts.  If there is an unusual reason why the company cannot oblige a request, it must explain that reason in full (e.g. "feature would be too difficult to implement because of X, Y, Z.", or "here are our current priorities, and resources..  we can't do both things, pick one, or crowdfund your new feature request outside the normal roadmap timeline"..).    Obviously no one thinks a customer base should be able to willy nilly dictate the direction a company takes, but if the company structures itself from the outset with that sort of mechanism in place, and offers it as a value to customers, it could work.  Would be interesting to see several incarnations of that idea play out.

• Level 5

Probably EN currently is too busy to implement and release what they have on their agenda to think about a bunch of users to create another one.

If I look at the most cited threads here in the forum, a few made it above a voting count above of 1 vote per 1 million users.

On needs to be pretty desperate to base long term decision making on a 1:1.000.000 representation quote. 

You can personally participate in decision making by using the feedback function build into the clients.

@idffI was glad to hear they were aware of the situation, too. They continue to release updates, additions, and more every two weeks. I know there are some big things in the works and lots of bugs and requests being addressed. Hang on for the ride. It's going to be great!

• Like 1

Is there any news on this - I'm still unhappy with the current situation as the output of SHIFT-CMD-D is still not adjustable. Evernote, please fix it - I don't want to use the old legacy version 'cause I love the markdown support on the other hand.

• Level 5

You can wait for this to happen …

An alternative is to get the PopClip Menu bar helper. It has a configurable Date & Time stamp element you can load into the popup menu. It allows to insert a D&T stamp in every application, not only into an EN note.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:30 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can wait for this to happen …

An alternative is to get the PopClip Menu bar helper. It has a configurable Date & Time stamp element you can load into the popup menu. It allows to insert a D&T stamp in every application, not only into an EN note.

Thanks @PinkElephant. Sure I'll wait - I have no choice anyway instead of switching to OneNote - using another tool, which costs me ~15€ btw, is not an option, but thanks anyways for the hint.

I use the long version also as the place where i put it, lies in a form I sometimes export for others to see. Then the long date appears nice but I get the request to make it short. 
As I use Textexpander I already found a workaround which also works in titles. 👍🏻

good luck in getting the request handled. I hope the developers will look into it 

On 2/2/2022 at 11:53 AM, EvernoteConnoisseur said:

Is there a way to add "day of the week" back to the CMD+Shift+D shortcut on Mac?

While Evernote is seemingly working on some kind of "solution" to this long outstanding issue, does anyone know of a way to add day of the week? 

So the format will be:

Tuesday, March 28, 2023 11:44pm

Automator and Applescript could easily accomplish this but then of course Evernote 10 dropped support for Applescript. The alternative TextExpander is also expensive and subscription based now 😠

There's an extension called timestamp, whereby you can automatically insert formatted date text. I use the 2023-03-29 format at the beginning of each (most) note title, thereby achieving the sorting functionality lost when they screwed this area up. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, heathkane said:

There's an extension called timestamp, whereby you can automatically insert formatted date text. I use the 2023-03-29 format at the beginning of each (most) note title, thereby achieving the sorting functionality lost when they screwed this area up.

Ok, just found the timestamp extension. But I don't see adding day of the week listed as one of the options. Is there a way to add more formats to this extension? image.png.b5abe4a83fc4e62b2f2654c5743cc39b.png

30 minutes ago, heathkane said:

Popclip...

Is this a commercial? I mean we're asking for a solution in evernote, that already exists with the old legacy versions. It's disgusting to see again postings about tools with another paid subscription - please. I don't use evernote for free - i paid for that. So any news about the issue?! cheers

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You could as well write it on paper, open the window, burn it and hope somebody will smell your wish.

The forum is user2user, and thus the wrong place. You may get a workaround here, which you got.

To contact EN issue a support ticket.

Lush...I have been using Evernote since 2009 or so for personal use. No affiliation with any company or product. It's not perfect, and I agree they screwed up on this function. Your 'disgusting' comment's pretty extreme. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You could as well write it on paper, open the window, burn it and hope somebody will smell your wish.

The forum is user2user, and thus the wrong place. You may get a workaround here, which you got.

To contact EN issue a support ticket.

yepp - you're right - it's a user2User - my bad.

• Like 1

Thank you PinkElephant for pointing us to Popclip and EvernoteConnoisseur for highlighting the Timestamp extension. At last after nearly 3 years I can now add a date like 2023-03-29 easily (the only format I find useful because used at the start of your title you can order your notes by it, crucial for so many things I do).

Still cross that we cannot do this using Cmd-Shift-D like we used to within Evernote, and have to pay for another application when it should be so simple for Evernote to restore/add this feature rather than all the new amazing features they keep on adding that I don't need!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, idff said:

Thank you EvernoteConnoisseur for highlighting the Timestamp extension. At last after nearly 3 years I can now add a date like 2023-03-29 easily (the only format I find useful because used at the start of your title you can order your notes by it, crucial for so many things I do).

Hi @idff you're welcomed.

Well, after we all waited for 3 years, today I present to you a new way of adding date/time/timezone stamp in anyway one would like with one single keystroke.

I mean I like what popclip can do, but I couldn't stand its popup nature and at times I could tell if the popup got activated.

Please see my next post for a new and in my opinion a more elegant solution (one single keyboard shortcut).

For those who has BetterTouchTool Mac app already (I do), find the "Insert Custom Text" function and select "Insert Custom format via Date Format Patterns."

image.png.47c0538ca4eaa1a36204764b2c60190b.png

Then go to this page about Date Format Patterns and choose the pattern you like.

image.png.153628302cf3d5d8ddd7642536076b0c.png

For example, for those who like the old Evernote day/date/time format, you can use this "format pattern" that I typed out in the screenshot below:

image.png.1856728651a851d86aefec77df674fa6.png

From now on, anyone can create and customize any date / time stamp format that meets one's purposes, and most importantly with one keystroke, despite Evernote not being able to provide this feature for years.

Special thanks to @Mike P and @Boot17 for inspiring me to come out with this solution less than 24 hours I posted my question.

13 horas atrás, EvernoteConnoisseur disse:

For those who has BetterTouchTool Mac app already (I do), find the "Insert Custom Text" function and select "Insert Custom format via Date Format Patterns."

image.png.47c0538ca4eaa1a36204764b2c60190b.png

Then go to this page about Date Format Patterns and choose the pattern you like.

image.png.153628302cf3d5d8ddd7642536076b0c.png

For example, for those who like the old Evernote day/date/time format, you can use this "format pattern" that I typed out in the screenshot below:

image.png.1856728651a851d86aefec77df674fa6.png

From now on, anyone can create and customize any date / time stamp format that meets one's purposes, and most importantly with one keystroke, despite Evernote not being able to provide this feature for years.

Special thanks to @Mike P and @Boot17 for inspiring me to come out with this solution less than 24 hours I posted my question.

The imagens are not loading for me. Is this a OS feature or is it a third party app?