Terrible version

Alexandre Nakamura

Idea

45 replies to this idea

You aren't alone. I never thought I'd consider leaving Evernote. I'm scared to do it.

But, after 3 days with Evernote 10 on my Windows 10 device, I'm done. The lack of functionality is staggering. No sync button, no internal links, no note counts next to the notebook. Heck, I don't understand why I can't delete a note anymore with the DELETE key?!  (why should I have to push TWO keys to delete a note??).

I'm very frustrated and scared that Evernote is done. For now, I'm going back to the older desktop version. The iOS version doesn't affect me as much, but I rely on Evernote as a power user for my daily work and productivity. This is atrocious. I'm so sad...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
On 11/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, Mystic said:

Evernot's old client needed to be changed, in 2020 it looks ridiculous

What do you mean it "looks ridiculous"? I don't know about other platforms, but the Windows client version 6 is one of the better-looking programs I use. Besides, it's a desktop program, it's not like it needs to be rewritten every season to keep up with the latest fashions.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:35 AM, Scotpip said:

It's pretty much identical to the web client in features and performance.

That's quite a low bar to clear, though. I expect desktop software to be much more responsive than websites.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just read through the lengthy and agitated thread about Windows dark mode. Since the old Windows client is 32bit, it could not incorporate the system dark mode. Now it is possible, because the app was completely rewritten.

I don't know the details, but I find the claim that a 32-bit program couldn't use dark mode hard to believe. But, even granting that, it's pretty unusual to have to rewrite much just to recompile a program in 64 bits. Most of the time, it does not take any changes at all.

Win10 gets an update every 6 month, a functional update every 12 month. MacOS gets a full update every 12 month. This alone means you are permanently updating

It doesn't mean that at all. It is very rare for Windows updates to break reverse compatibility. A lot of 20-year-old software runs perfectly fine without changes.

Plus you have the mobile clients, the web client, 4 or more browsers with the web clipper. Enough to keep more developers on the jump than you probably want to employ.

It's really not rocket science. Saying this having written a full-featured Evernote client myself a while ago, one with rich text editing, offline note storage, search, attachment, multimedia note support, etc.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
39 minutes ago, Mystic said:

Are there developers here? Does anyone read this at all?

Interviews with Ian Small suggest that he and the developers are aware of what's said in forums; but they have never engaged very much in dialogues here.

2 hours ago, Rentgius said:

Where are the options?? i cant find them!!

From an announcement about the new version: options/preferences were not included in the first release, but will be added back in.

We are no more important in their lives than, what’s the phrase, I know, less than 2%

they are interested in money, not art. 
they had something good and they threw it away. We are not taking Steve Jobs here or Tim Cook.  No they are not any where near their league. In their minds though they are right up there. Sad for all of us 2% ers. 

• Like 3

Another very disgruntled long-time user here - I've literally been with Evernote since it was a little desktop app.

This feels more like Alpha software - how it was released in this state is unfathomable. It's bad enough that I genuinely think it might kill the company unless they move really fast to fix things - this might go down in software folklore as a $billion mistake!

In addition to the lack of a sync button, the missing notebook counts, the missing Preferences, the weird keyboard combination to delete a note, the missing editing shortcuts and the missing right click menu on the stacks, I'm experiencing show-stopping performance issues.

I'm running on a high-powered HP workstation, but simply dragging a note from one folder to another is taking a full 8 seconds. These are quite big  notebooks, but this was virtually instantaneous in the old client. I need to reorganise thousands of notes for a new project, and with this performance it's totally impractical.

And another huge bug - if you multi-select a group of notes and drag them to a new folder, only the one you drag moves - the others just stay put. What kind of quality control is this??

But there's more - notes are taking forever to load, and the editor isn't keeping up with my rather average typing speed. So typing a note is a horrible experience with the cursor lagging and stuttering.

In short - the whole Windows client is unusable.

Maybe the performance is just a short-term server issue. But if it's a baked-in software issue, they may have made a catastrophic mistake.

Like you guys I'm looking at alternatives. It's hard to trust your data to a company than can do something like this to its customers. I'm a developer, and this looks like gross incompetence. 

An option to add to the list of alternatives is Joplin - a fast-maturing Open Source project with 18k stars on Github and a lot of momentum behind it. It's something of an Evernote clone and can import Evernote databases. It's a bit geekier than Evernote and is based on Markdown. It's still a bit rough around the edges but think that this release of Evernote will give it a big boost as people haemorrhage away from an unusable app.

But maybe Evernote will get these issues fixed - they are going to get huge pushback from their corporate customers, and while they can ignore us small folks, they can't ignore the people who keep them in business. I'm going to give them a few days, because when it was working it was still the best app in the field, despite the ugly interface.

Be interesting to see if the moderator censors this, or if they have the integrity to let it stand. Companies that don't listen to their customers don't last long - never mind the 100 years they claim to be planning for. For goodness sake Evernote - get this sorted!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sadly I have to agree - I love(d) EN and use it all day every day for everything. For now, I'm clinging on to the old version but will have to cancel membership & look for something else (argh!)

v10 is on so many fronts is a retrograde step  giant leap off a cliff

• Basic core OS functionality has gone (intuitive stuff like shortcuts, renaming or dragging Notebooks)
  • It's slower (!) and sucks system resource
  • Sync missing
  • Note formatting that looked fine on v6 has gone to ***** in v10 - reformat all your notes anyone?
  • Can't present
  • etc etc etc

Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, loz394 said:

Note formatting that looked fine on v6 has gone to ***** in v10 - reformat all your notes anyone?

Can you comment more specifically on this particular point? I'm not yet able (still on Windows 7) or willing to "update" to v. 10 at this point, and this has been a concern of mine for when I do. Is it the new limited font set, or something else that is harming the existing formatting?

Dear Evernote,

After 8 years...it's time for us to break up.  

You've changed so much that I don't even recognize you.  You used to be so helpful all the time.  You were quick to respond to my every request.  No you barely acknowledge me and spend most of the time spinning.

My new boyfriend OneNote is in the process of collecting my belongings from you.

Sincerely,

Your crushed Ex

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, Mel678 said:

Dear Evernote,

After 8 years...it's time for us to break up.  

You've changed so much that I don't even recognize you.  You used to be so helpful all the time.  You were quick to respond to my every request.  No you barely acknowledge me and spend most of the time spinning.

My new boyfriend OneNote is in the process of collecting my belongings from you.

Sincerely,

Your crushed Ex

I have tried but i can't export all the attachments, ¿do you know how?

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Can you comment more specifically on this particular point? I'm not yet able (still on Windows 7) or willing to "update" to v. 10 at this point, and this has been a concern of mine for when I do. Is it the new limited font set, or something else that is harming the existing formatting?

Last week I installed EN10 but I reverted to EN6.x within a couple of hours.

One of the scary changes: my Tahoma 10 notes were reformatted to Sans Serif 16. More specific formatting was gone or got scrambled.

I panicked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well ... I used v10 through pain for several days. Here's what I can say:

• It's slow. If you scroll through the entire list of notes - epic slow. (i7 and rtx2070). How???
  • Where drag notebooks?
  • Why i can't change notebook color???
  • Font size... oh man, before I could open all the notebooks and everything fit without the need to scroll. Now it's impossible to use it. I don't want to scroll non-stop. The list of notebooks should always be at hand, and I have a large one.
  • Dark theme on win10 has several issues

And the main question! I already paid you money for the plus. Premium is useless for me. Why the hell am I supposed to watch an AD for the premium version in the search box without the option to remove it ?

So far, the new version looks like garbage for me. How could this be done? I mean, why did you release a new version like this? Why hurry? Why does it act as the main one on the site? This is beta. No more! So make a beta release, why force everyone to do it?

And remove the damn premium AD, I basically won't renew my subscription while I see it.

ps sorry for my english, if something is wrong.

• Level 5
12 minutes ago, Mystic said:

And the main question! I already paid you money for the plus. Premium is useless for me. Why the hell am I supposed to watch an AD for the premium version in the search box without the option to remove it ?

So far, the new version looks like garbage for me. How could this be done? I mean, why did you release a new version like this? Why hurry? Why does it act as the main one on the site? This is beta. No more! So make a beta release, why force everyone to do it?

And remove the damn premium AD, I basically won't renew my subscription while I see it.

ps sorry for my english, if something is wrong.

Your English is very clear! Do be aware, though, that these are primarily user-to-user forums, and not a good way to address Evernote directly.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, mi_cha said:

Last week I installed EN10 but I reverted to EN6.x within a couple of hours.

One of the scary changes: my Tahoma 10 notes were reformatted to Sans Serif 16. More specific formatting was gone or got scrambled.

I panicked.

Yes, this conforms to what I've seen in the Web client: default text (= Tahoma 10) is converted to Sans Serif 16, which is a little large. Can you say anything about the specific formatting that was destroyed?

Oh yes, there is also a "share with me" button, which is needed by 1% of users, but it can't be disabled.
To be honest, I am reading all this now and don't understand why I still use this service. It's time to explore the alternatives ...

13 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Do be aware, though, that these are primarily user-to-user forums, and not a good way to address Evernote directly.

If so, then it becomes clear why they are losing users and destroying their product. They make it for users, they are obligated to read their reviews.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Rentgius said:

I have tried but i can't export all the attachments, ¿do you know how?

I don't see a way in v10 yet, at least in the Mac version.  I don't have v10 installed on Windows, but I think they are basically the same.  You will need to use the legacy version to save attachments.  Select your notes and then the right mouse button meno shows the save attachments option.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:58 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Interviews with Ian Small suggest that he and the developers are aware of what's said in forums; but they have never engaged very much in dialogues here.

Yet when I attempted to email my comments directly, they directed me to the forum.

And when you do post on the forum they don't bother to react. 

And they even cut off the chat.

This is not a healthy sign. Customer-friendly companies engage actively with customers who are making the effort to give them feedback. 

It very much feels like a group of developers who have lost touch with their customers and withdrawn into their bunker. 

I've got a nasty feeling about this and am preparing a bolt-hole. This is more than a slip-up - it's deeply incompetent. Not helped by the fact that they seem to have crippled the export feature. It's almost as though they're trying to hold our data hostage?

Joplin is a VERY active open source project that's pretty usable now and can only get better. And you own your own data. Pretty sure that's where I'm headed. 

It's the keen users like us who helped build the company - they can't afford to lose us. OK, I'm not a paying customer right now, but I have been in the past and I would have been again. And I've evangelised their product online and off. I've used Evernote since its days on the desktop almost 20 years ago - if they haemorrhage people like me they are heading for trouble.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you take away some of the best features that Evernote had! 

I don't even know how many times a day I used screen grab / clip.   This is insane that one of the simplest features was removed!   

The new version is NOT intuitive.  It makes no sense whatsoever.  

Obviously they are getting slammed and the should.  They've now turned off chat so they don't have to respond to customers.  

THIS IS AN EPIC FAIL

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yes, this conforms to what I've seen in the Web client: default text (= Tahoma 10) is converted to Sans Serif 16, which is a little large. Can you say anything about the specific formatting that was destroyed?

@Dave-in-decatur 

I couln`t identify a systematic reformatting. Examples:

Apart from Tahoma 10 > Sans Serif 16 (this seemed to be a uniform change), I noticed that many ocurrences of my original text in size 12 /14/16 changed to Serif 26 (converted to a header level, it seemed).

Paragraphs: all paragraphs in the original text were justified > EN 10 changed paragraphs to centralized or left in the same text, for example: two first paragraphs justified, then one paragraph centralized, then justified again, then left alignment...

Highlighted text from Webclipper disappeared sometimes (randomly again).

2 minutes ago, mi_cha said:

@Dave-in-decatur 

Apart from Tahoma 10 > Sans Serif 16 (this seemed to be a uniform change), I noticed that many ocurrences of my original text in size 12 /14/16 changed to Serif 26 (converted to a header level, it seemed).

Paragraphs: all paragraphs in the original text were justified > EN 10 changed paragraphs to centralized or left in the same text, for example: two first paragraphs justified, then one paragraph centralized, then justified again, then left alignment...

Another: some horizontal lines disappeared (I use them a lot, I usually have long notes)

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, mi_cha said:

@Dave-in-decatur 

1 minute ago, mi_cha said:

Another: some horizontal lines disappeared (I use them a lot, I usually have long notes)

Thank you for these details. It seems that Sans Serif 16 is treated as the equivalent of "default" text (Tahoma 10). Pretty disturbing that flush-left justified text was changed to centered! The seeming randomness could possibly reflect some underlying format codes that weren't visible in the v. 6.25 program. Definitely not looking forward to the inevitable day....

23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thank you for these details. It seems that Sans Serif 16 is treated as the equivalent of "default" text (Tahoma 10). Pretty disturbing that flush-left justified text was changed to centered! The seeming randomness could possibly reflect some underlying format codes that weren't visible in the v. 6.25 program. Definitely not looking forward to the inevitable day....

I'm not a tech expert but see this:

Most of these notes (scrambled paragraphs in EN10) are long and contain different pieces of text from different sources: some text I typed myself, some copied from Word, some from browser, some from OCR pdf...

In EN6 I always use ctrl+shift+V (copy without format) and make sure that everything is uniform (tahoma 10, justified, for example). Perhaps some information from the original format remained somewhere and caused this mess in En10, although many of these notes are years old.

Well, I am not able to say why this happened, just giving more information about.

Important: I couldn`t identify a pattern, it all seemed random to me (apart from Sans Serif 16 as default font).

• Like 1

We've been down this road before with Evernote 3.5, when they decided to rewrite the client in .NET. It became slugging and lost features, the users were up in arms. Thankfully, the developers had the humility to go back to native in version 4.0.

• Like 1

For me, Evernote V10 is one of the most disappointing updates that I have ever made to any software. 

. It takes ages to startup compared to previous versions

. There’s no “sync” button so there’s always some uncertainty about whether everything is up to date

. The clip option has been removed from Outlook (for me, this was by far the most common source of Evernote content)

. I find it much more difficult to navigate than previous versions

. The editor may be better but, in my case, I rarely enter or update documents using the editor ( I primarily use Evernote for saving emails and other existing documents).

I really don’t understand the marketing strategy that would convince the Evernote developers to go down this latest, very backward, set of modifications.

Edit.

Like many others in this forum, Version 10 just became too difficult to use so I have now reverted back to Version 6.25.2.9198. It's a real indictment on the developers of any product when you have to go back a level of software to actually gain features.

• Like 1

I ran away to nimbus notes, which is what I advise you. The project is developing at an incredible pace and they interact with their community, unlike evernote. Support answered me in 4 minutes !!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Mystic said:

I ran away to nimbus notes, which is what I advise you.

Me too. Picked up a good lifetime deal on AppSumo. It has pros and cons compared to EN, but the pace of development is far faster, the app is responsive and fairly stable, and it's getting the job done. The main drawback is the limited export, but sorting that is on the roadmap so I've decided to take the risk.

2 hours ago, Mystic said:

I ran away to nimbus notes, which is what I advise you. The project is developing at an incredible pace and they interact with their community, unlike evernote. Support answered me in 4 minutes !!!!!!!

I've read in another topic that the Nimbus client is a bloated Electron app, like the new Evernote. Better support is good, but, if this is true, it won't replace Evernote's old native client. I want to have good software and not interact with support at all.

4 minutes ago, Don Reba said:

I've read in another topic that the Nimbus client is a bloated Electron app, like the new Evernote. Better support is good, but, if this is true, it won't replace Evernote's old native client.

Evernot's old client needed to be changed, in 2020 it looks ridiculous. But what they did is horror. Plus 0 reactions to criticism after its release.
I don't care what the inside of the nimbus is. It is important that I feel comfortable using it, it is stylish and we are working on it with the community.

• Like 1

I'm finding the Nimbus client fine on Win10 - loads in a couple of seconds and is responsive enough to be pleasant to use.

It's pretty much identical to the web client in features and performance.

There's nothing wrong with Electron as a platform - like most frameworks is mainly down to how well  you implement it.

Certain features that I used for years have been removed. This makes me very sad. I watched a lot of Evernote evangelists walk away after the big Android client update a few years ago. I stuck it out... now they are hitting me where it hurts. It doesn't make sense for these guys to alienate their biggest supporters who also pay for the premium service. Scratching my head. Will probably be packing up and moving to OneNote or something similar. Darn it!! 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Sorry, your argument sounds as if you were new to the forum. Just read through the lengthy and agitated thread about Windows dark mode. Since the old Windows client is 32bit, it could not incorporate the system dark mode. Now it is possible, because the app was completely rewritten.

Win10 gets an update every 6 month, a functional update every 12 month. MacOS gets a full update every 12 month. This alone means you are permanently updating, and with the old clients can‘t share the code base. Plus you have the mobile clients, the web client, 4 or more browsers with the web clipper. Enough to keep more developers on the jump than you probably want to employ.

Although badly implemented, I think the strategy of unifying the code base, the editor and the clients is still sound.

I had to go back to evernote because nimbus doesn't support encryption. Hell.
And it really hurt, because evernote didn't fix anything that pissed me off.
99% of the questions are about the interface, how could you have made it so terrible.
- White scrollbar in dark theme - aaaa !!!
- Offer to buy premium when I don't need it and I bought plus.
- The buttons at the bottom of the list of notebooks take up space which is so small when there are many notebooks.
- And all this is so slow! Oh God...

Image 2020-12-01 01.20.12.jpg

37 minutes ago, Don Reba said:

I don't know the details, but I find the claim that a 32-bit program couldn't use dark mode hard to believe.

It has nothing to do with 32bits. Windows dark mode is only available to Windows Store (.net) apps. The EN (legacy) client is a Win32 (full thick client windows application - "win32" can mean either 32bit or 64bit - yeah, weird developer nomenclature) app. Win32 apps using native controls simply do not have access to the dark mode api. It used to be that a Win32 app couldn't even determine if dark mode was enabled without checking an undocumented registry flag. I don't know if that has changed since I looked at it.

> But, even granting that, it's pretty unusual to have to rewrite much just to recompile a program in 64 bits. Most of the time, it does not take any changes at all.

ROFL!!! BTDT, seen many pointers pushed into a 32bit variable. It's not that it won't compile - it will - and then proceeds to blow up in the most interesting ways! The first step is seeing what the compiler tells you (with warnings cranked all the way up). The 2nd step is inspecting pretty much every line of code that works with pointers.

Also, as I remember, there were some 3rd party libraries we (past tense, I've been gone a while now) used that didn't support 64bits. So the effort required to update was deemed too much - since we still had to support 32bit OSes.

• Like 1

Editing clipped articles from internet is TERRIBLE as well. I don't know how can you ruin Evernote this bad! Worst part is nobody answers questions! Where's the preference menu? Was that really needed to be removed? We chose Evernote because we like it! Part of that is the ability to customize it. 

Why clipped notes lose all formatting when you try to edit them? This is beyond me.

Fonts menu is gone. What is this???? CTRL + D doesn't work anymore.

I had a specific font I chose for all my notes. Not only that's gone, but already created notes with that font CHANGED as well!!

What is this???

Friends, can someone petition the developers to pay attention to us? I do not know what to do. There are no good alternatives and Evernote has become a trash heap. Going back to 2000 and storing notes in text files?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mystic said:

can someone petition the developers to pay attention to us?

It's not the devs you need - it's management! The devs are good people - I worked with them for 6 years. But they don't make the decisions on product direction.

• Like 1

How do I downgrade??! 

The missing Sync button is infuriating.  I can't right click to create a Notebook in a Stack anymore.  EN is not playing well with Outlook.  This all is creating a colossal waste of time and energy.

Taking my money elsewhere if they don't fix this.

Not sure where you are right clicking but right clicking the stack in the main notebooks window gives you the option to create a notebook.

image.png.e2fc8e251f9964b54a67373bb922559a.png

Sadly the sidebar has very little usful functionaility any more and right clicking a stack there doesn't work.

You can install the legacy version from:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph