DaJoLo

When will Evernote's improvements roll out?

Dear Evernote

As a premium customer I am increasingly frustrated by the very slow rate of much needed software revisions. The browser app is particularly bad but overall the editing tools across the platform are woeful (improvements to these I think are much requested). 

I have watched the videos on your website which are full of promises but there's (a) no obvious action hitting customers and (b) no regular updates as to what is happening and when. There are now new alternatives available and Evernote should fbe bothered about that. I am content to stay for now but increasingly fed up waiting for software improvements that seem to have been in the pipeline for years not just months. 

I am now investing time in learning how to use Notion - it too has many flaws but it also has some features that Evernote might look at. On balance Notion is not yet ready enough  to make me switch. However, although I would rather not discard my investment of effort and time in using Evernote this may change. 

At the very least Evernote might look for ways to improve its comms with customers and to keep refreshing its info on its website, while notifying us of new items (I for one would opt in to email updates). You can't rely on the same website promises for more than a few weeks or months. At least give us the feeling that something is developing/changing.

My request to Evernote is (a) DO SOMETHING quickly to improve your software (if I have to use that horrible browser app much longer I will almost certainly quit; and the ridiculous server lag/data refresh bottleneck on the WIndows app is driving me mad ... ); (b) do try to keep us better informed about developments and forthcoming updates  - even small interim updates are a good way to keep us happy (well, me anyway) with a few small but obvious changes.

Even being part of the Beta program seems to make no difference and there does not appear to be a systematic approach to gathering feedback from users (if there is one it is not very visible to me).

Hopefully you have some encouraging news in your response. :-)

Thanks

Yours in supportive but frustrated spirit ...

• Thanks 2

I was just browsing the forums looking for any sign of whether some new behind-the-scenes videos or blog posts would be launching soon. Hopefully someone in the know replies to this thread...

Still a slow pace but there's currently a public beta (web) available to all users

Hi Paul A

Thanks for that info but I can't seem to find it. When I go to evernote.com in my browser and log in at the evernote home page I am taken straight to the app. So, not sure how to download the beta.

Any advice appreciated ...

... 5 minutes later!

Aha! I just realised that I am still using the 'classic' web app rather than the new one - after switching I find I am now in the beta. Duh!  🍩

Mind you I was using the new version some time ago but switched back to classic for reasons I now forget (I guess the new version as it was then didn't seem to work very well). I'll stick with it for now. 

But I am also concerned about the weaknesses of the Windows desktop app. I have the latest version of that but  do you know if there is a new beta version available?

Thanks again for the heads up.

58 minutes ago, DaJoLo said:

But I am also concerned about the weaknesses of the Windows desktop app. I have the latest version of that but  do you know if there is a new beta version available?

The Windows beta has always been easily available to anyone: Tools / Options  / General  / "Enable beta features and updates".  The most recent beta  or public release is usually announced in the Windows Product Feedback / Feature Request subforum: https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/224-evernote-for-windows/

On 10/10/2019 at 3:46 PM, DaJoLo said:

Dear Evernote

As a premium customer I am increasingly frustrated by the very slow rate of much needed software revisions. The browser app is particularly bad but overall the editing tools across the platform are woeful (improvements to these I think are much requested). 

I have watched the videos on your website which are full of promises but there's (a) no obvious action hitting customers and (b) no regular updates as to what is happening and when. There are now new alternatives available and Evernote should fbe bothered about that. I am content to stay for now but increasingly fed up waiting for software improvements that seem to have been in the pipeline for years not just months. 

I am now investing time in learning how to use Notion - it too has many flaws but it also has some features that Evernote might look at. On balance Notion is not yet ready enough  to make me switch. However, although I would rather not discard my investment of effort and time in using Evernote this may change. 

At the very least Evernote might look for ways to improve its comms with customers and to keep refreshing its info on its website, while notifying us of new items (I for one would opt in to email updates). You can't rely on the same website promises for more than a few weeks or months. At least give us the feeling that something is developing/changing.

My request to Evernote is (a) DO SOMETHING quickly to improve your software (if I have to use that horrible browser app much longer I will almost certainly quit; and the ridiculous server lag/data refresh bottleneck on the WIndows app is driving me mad ... ); (b) do try to keep us better informed about developments and forthcoming updates  - even small interim updates are a good way to keep us happy (well, me anyway) with a few small but obvious changes.

Even being part of the Beta program seems to make no difference and there does not appear to be a systematic approach to gathering feedback from users (if there is one it is not very visible to me).

Hopefully you have some encouraging news in your response. 🙂

Thanks

Yours in supportive but frustrated spirit ...

Can't agree more with what DaJoLo says. The Safari 13 plug-in issue is a fiasco, an initial fix was promised this week and has not arrived. I am a long term Evernote user but am seriously considering moving to Apple Notes if things do not get any better. Come on Evernote.... you are better than this!

A shout out for the Windows web clipper: I find it's a pretty good tool; I have several topic notebooks and plenty of tags and the clipper seems to have a good try and identifying a notebook and even a suitable tag. Quite often it is very helpful.