malcolm.b.anderson

Allow searches of special characters

Idea

Currently it is not possible to search for special characters like (pretty much any symbol other than the underscore)

I have used special characters like $, %, ^, &, *, @, and # as part of my tag system and would like to be able to search for them.

This came to my attention when I found that I can not search for all of my notes dealing with the programming language C#

(I got back every file that had the letter "C" in it)

• Like 4

16 replies to this idea

if anyone knows of an existing feature request similar to this, please let me know and I will delete this and up vote theirs.

My search for the term "Search for special characters" turned up no results, so I created this request.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, malcolm.b.anderson said:

Currently it is not possible to search for special characters like (pretty much any symbol other than the underscore)

I have used special characters like $, %, ^, &, *, @, and # as part of my tag system and would like to be able to search for them.

This came to my attention when I found that I can not search for all of my notes dealing with the programming language C#

(I got back every file that had the letter "C" in it)

EN will support tag searches with special characters, though all searches are from the beginning of the tag name.  EN won't search the body of a note for special characters.  The tag C# would be found in the tag drop down, but C# would not be found with a text search,.

The underscore is not supported 100%. If you do a search in your notes with title including "_", you will see not all notes show up. :(

15 hours ago, iShiBin said:

The underscore is not supported 100%. If you do a search in your notes with title including "_", you will see not all notes show up. :(

Works for me.  Works with or without the intitle:.  Be sure the _ is by itself if all you want to find is the _.  Otherwise you need to include some of the other text.  Windows anyway.

ScreenClip.png.2b77874e2fa153686ad3b4aa9a6a8a74.png

I could get result with _ in the title but not all. That's why it fails. Try to create some new notes with _ in the title, and then you may see it.

13 minutes ago, iShiBin said:

I could get result with _ in the title but not all. That's why it fails. Try to create some new notes with _ in the title, and then you may see it.

Can you give specific fail examples.  All my tests were successful

Here is an example note with title "some_thing".

Anyway, it seems correct if I put a space character in and after the _. So I may use this way instead to mark my notes instead.

32 minutes ago, iShiBin said:

Here is an example note with title "some_thing"

From my Mac597ac6ed58938_ScreenShot2017-07-27at22_07_54.png.10b456ab89c1ebfea2bb7640218b0f3b.png

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

From my Mac

I am sorry but you misunderstand it. I mean to search using "intitle:_" and you won't get the notes with a title like "some_thing". 

In addition, I tried using intitle:"_thing" but it failed again. I guess the only way to make it work is to have a space before and after _

EN only searches from the beginning of the word.  A search for some_ should work.  

53 minutes ago, csihilling said:

EN only searches from the beginning of the word.  A search for some_ should work.  

No, it won't when it is in the title. Even, I tried to quote it using intitle:“some_” but failed.

For whatever reason intitle searches for specific matches.  A search for intitle:some_* will find all notes containing some_ in titles. 

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

For whatever reason intitle searches for specific matches.  A search for intitle:some_* will find all notes containing some_ in titles. 

You're right. It works. Thanks!

You are welcome.

I am surprised this hasn’t gotten more support... I have been a long term Evernote user, but never a tagger, and recently started using symbols at the beginning of note titles as a way of quickly tagging (and sorting them from list view).... but no way to search for notes with the symbol in the title?!?  Bummer... since apparently there doesn’t seem to be any traction to fix this.

• Thanks 1