Evernote iOS7 on iPhone 5 Not Functioning | Frozen

I am curious to find out if anyone else is experiencing difficulty with the new version of Evernote on the iPhone.  It had been functioning properly after downloading the most recent version (iOS7), but then it stopped responding … it's basically frozen.  Restarting/rebooting the device does not fix the problem.  I am hoping that Evernote comes out with an update soon that might address the problem for me, but that assumes it's a widespread issue that others are experiencing.

yep, me too, I can't even use it and I'm using Notes instead.  Good thing I paid $40 a year to use Evernote!  Reinstall fixes it until it does it again right away.  So, that's not a fix at all.  It works well on the iPad mini though.  I wish it worked well on the phone though as that's where I need it most.  I'm all upgraded on the phone and iPad as for iOS etc.

My problem exactly, since I upgraded to IOS 7. I'm afraid of reinstalling in case I lose my files. Is there any danger of that happening?

As long as you are up to date synced, reinstalling is no problem.  I've reinstalled so many times since the in ios7 update!  Enter your log in info, it auto syncs and all your stuff is there!  :)  gl

Same problem here, on iPad running iOS7.

In particular, when - or if - I get Evernote to load, eventually I get to the "All notes" page.

Then I tap into the "Search" bar (which is really hidden, by the way - green on green is NOT a good colour combo, especially if visually imperfect. My vision is good, but my wife's isn't).

Now that I've tapped into the "Search" bar, I start typing the search term. I was after the word "Jack". But I got the J - then it hung.  Eventually it let me type an 'a' - and then hung again, this time never to recover. 

So I went to the old double-tap of the home button, swiped ALL my apps away, then back to the home page and tried again.  Same problem.  Every time.

So I deleted Evernote from the iPad (holding my breath), then re-installed it from iTunes. It took forever to sync as I have a large database. And the problem remains...!

Is it something to do with real-time search? Is it trying to find every instance of each letter as we go, like an online Google search does? Is there any way to turn that off, and just have search results when I hit the "Done" button at the end of typing in the search?

Or is it some other problem?

Didn't happen previously - this is only since the update earlier today Australia time.  Although EN on the iPad was getting VERY slow and sluggish before that - probably since upgrading to iOS7. Same on my wife's iPad, which she uses for everything.

Hardware is iPad 2 with 64GB RAM (mine) and 32GB (hers).

Any clues?  Is it Evernote itself, or some interaction with iOS7?  Whatever it is, Evernote is currently unusable on the iPad here...

OK - further information. It seems that some or all of my problem appears to be that with the latest update, all the notes - which I had set for "store locally" - had to be re-downloaded onto the iPad. I had to scroll through the entire notebook (looooong job) and let each pageful of notes download. Now that they are all back on the iPad, doing that same search for "Jack" is as quick as it used to be.

So maybe the problem was that the locally-stored notes had been wiped in the update? Recall that the problem was present both BEFORE and AFTER deleting EN from the iPad and reinstalling and resyncing.  It still obviously hadn't downloaded the notes - just the headers.  Once the notes had been downloaded by the manual scrolling process, all seems to be working again.

Bug? Or feature? ;)  Maybe something that needs to be looked at by the team....

But for now, everything seems to be working OK. Not sure how it will withstand a complete turn-off/turn-on. It's very late at night here, so will try that tomorrow.

And one more piece of info: after the iPad has had a sleep mode, or a power-off restart, Evernote then takes forever to do anything. It seems to freeze while it is syncing and unable to do anything, including search, or scroll through notes. And this takes a long time - it's VERY slow (both over wifi and over 3G). And that is AFTER I made sure the entire database of notes was downloaded onto the iPad locally yesterday, as posted above.

There seems to be something happening that locks up EN when it is first run after the iPad has been in sleep mode, and it seems to be while EN is syncing - I think.

But it is VERY frustrating - I used to be able to flick into EN and look something up quickly.  Now I can't. Anyone else seeing similar? Any word from Evernote?

+1.

iPad 3 running latest version in iOS 7, and Evernote is a brick. (But iPhone 5 is fine -- knock on wood.)

FYI, I was able to restore functionality on my iPad by deleting and reinstalling the app. Inconvenient, yes, but I've seen this occur with other apps after a major update.

This has happened to me twice. Between the two I had a chat with EN support and was told an update is in the works but the ETA is unknown.

Unfortunately, Evernote has a QC problem with updates. I've had failures or real difficulties with half of them or more. A quick look at the reviews of this version will show you there are a lot of unhappy users, many of them ex-users. It's too bad, because EN is a very useful product and pretty much essential for the research I do for my novels.

The default answer for any problem is remove and re-install, which is a serious time thief when you're trying to keep 20,000 notes, as I am.

So I ended up deleting the app from my phone and reinstalling it via iTunes and everything, once again, seems to be functioning.  It's been a couple of days now, and I have come across no further issues.  I will note that I had been running the latest version of the iPhone app for a couple of weeks before it froze up on me.  Obviously, a fix for this situation will be most welcome by many.

• Level 5

Ugg.  That all sucks.

I'm going to go running with scissors on my way to buy lottery ticket.

I've flipped through v7, v7.01, v7.02, v7.03 all without issues in iOS7 on an iPad 3, iphone 5s and iphone 4.

What I have noticed is a persistent data access issue in ios7.  But it's not limited to Evernote, and hasn't been rectified by tips to reset Network Settings after the ios7 update.

I will notice a lack of sync on initial launch of Pages, Numbers, Evernote, or even searches/updates in the App store.

If I swipe up control center and toggle airplane mode, that fixes the network stalling issue instantly.

Secondly returning focus (after swiping away the control center) causes Evernote to sync.  And everything starts moving again.

My problem exactly, since I upgraded to IOS 7. I'm afraid of reinstalling in case I lose my files. Is there any danger of that happening?

As long as you are up to date synced, reinstalling is no problem.  I've reinstalled so many times since the in ios7 update!  Enter your log in info, it auto syncs and all your stuff is there!  :)  gl

I reinstalled my iPhone app via iTunes, and while the app is no longer frozen and is operating, it won't sync to all of my notes on desktop.  I have attempted to manually sync on all of my devices and still no luck.  Count me as another one hoping that Evernote fixes this BUG, and fast.

• Level 5

Hmmm.  I'm also running the ipad 3 and 5s on ios7.  My upgrade through Evernote 7.x versions have all been fine.

It's borked on both devices?

How large is your Evernote data?

Had a reply from evernote team. They have just released 7.1 which has bug fixes and since installing has so far stopped the freezing and all good  :)

Hope stays that way as it has been such a great product.

Evernote data on iphone 5S is only 26.8MB. I'm running iOS 7.0.3 on both devices. Upgrading to Evernote 7.1 causes the same problem on both devices - crashes when trying to open any note. Reverting to Evernote 7.0.3 clears the problem.

I have deleted and reinstalled several times now. And done a few device restarts (iPhone 5S). Freeze keeps recurring. I agree with a comment above - jmpsfs - EN updates on iOS and OSX often cause problems. All my reinstalls have been over the air installs, going to try an iTunes install this evening - with a device reboot to boot!! In the past EN have said to do a reinstall from iTunes not over the air. So I would recommend trying this before getting a support ticket.

Will repost in a day or two with news.

I am having this problem as well.  Today I installed the new update which indicated Bug fixes; but to no avail.  It is still happening.  Also, when I create a new note on the PC and click Sync; it appears that it is syncing but it doesn't show up on my phone.

Same problem. I'm a paying EN user and Tech Support was of no help. I installed and reinstalled several times, but it's simply unusable on my iPhone 5 w. 7.0.3, just like it was with 7.0.2. I've loved the app and used it daily, 80% of my use on the iPhone. No more. Now I use Notebooks -- killer app, does it all, syncs with Dropbox -- and am considering OneNote. I never had a problem with UI changes -- but realiability is the sine qua non of *any* app, and EN is now flat-out unusable on the iPhone. I still use the Web version occasionally on my PC, but all the fun's gone out of it. For most of us, it's the iPhone that sees the heaviest use. Man, I can't believe how the company could let something like this happen *and not make a major statement acknowledging the problem.* It's insane. Severely disappointed with  and pissed at Evernote. 

Unfortunately, a significant percentage of Evernote's iOS updates cause problems like this. I calculate (with a curse) that I'll have to uninstall and reinstall  on either the iPhone or iPad about once a month - frequently after one or the other of them has worked well for weeks.

They have a QC problem with updates and will generally repair the problem. It's a real downside but there's just no alternative (unfortunately).

• Level 5

There's got to be something more at play here.

I have run upgrades all the way up to current on two 4's, a 5, a 5s, and an iPad 3.

I have yet to need to do a re-install, on all but once on my daily driver about a year ago.

I'm not saying it isn't still an issue for EN to track down, but there's got to be something different in the data, the Shard, or the degree of use of offline notes/notebooks, that vary. 

It's been about 15 months since that period when iOS over-the-air updates where corrupting the apps themselves (having to do with the Fairplay DRM wrapper) causing them to crash and I've heard no mention of any re-occurence on that front.  So if it's not the apps, or the distribution, because it's not universally experienced, that seems to leave the data itself

• 3 months later...

Tried a number of variations of reboot, reinstall etc without success, but Metrodon's post #10 was the one that worked.  I didn't do anything w iTunes tho, just uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, synched and goodness reigned once again in iPhone-Evernote land.

Has anyone had any satisfactory resolution of this issue?

This freezing problem has just started happening for me on an iPhone5C, working fine on my mac and iPad 3.

I can get into the app alright but every time I try to access any notebooks the app just completely freezes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled but still nothing.

• 3 months later...

I am now having this problem as well.  I have a note that contains a photo that is "stuck open" in EN on my iphone.  I can open and close and work with EN just fine on my windows or mac computers and even on my android tablet...but no matter what I do I can't get it to let me close that note on my iphone and go back to main interface.  

I have just uninstalled and am now reinstalling and was hoping that would be a permanent fix, but from reading other responses on this forum it appears that might not be so.

Tracey

From another app like email or camera roll, try opening a photo or email attachment in Evernote. That will force Evernote to boot you out of the sticky screen and create a new note with the file you just used.

You can delete the newly created note if you don't need it beyond getting you un-stuck.

• 2 months later...

If you are experiencing the same issue as the original poster, that is, you are stuck in Evernote's integrated browser, then you should follow the directions below:

From another app like email or camera roll, try opening a photo or email attachment in Evernote. That will force Evernote to boot you out of the sticky screen and create a new note with the file you just used.

You can delete the newly created note if you don't need it beyond getting you un-stuck.

also, updating to the latest version of the application removes the integrated browser so that should also un-stick you. 

However, its sounds like you are actually experiencing a different issue. Could you describe the problem you are experiencing? Is it crashing on launch? Is an error displayed? is it freezing at a certain point? If so, what precedes the freeze?

• Level 5*

Hi - if you search the forum (top rght) for "iphone frozen" (without the quotes) there are quite a few hits for similar problems - I'm not an iPhone user,  so can't comment;  but they may help..

A forum etiquette note: There is no need to make essentially the same post in multiple locations. Either add to a thread that is related to your problem, or start a new thread and provide as much information as possible. Now you will get fragments of responses spread across at least the three posts you have made. Please see my post from another thread in response to you:

If you are experiencing the same issue as the original poster, that is, you are stuck in Evernote's integrated browser, then you should follow the directions below:

also, updating to the latest version of the application removes the integrated browser so that should also un-stick you. 

However, its sounds like you are actually experiencing a different issue. Could you describe the problem you are experiencing? Is it crashing on launch? Is an error displayed? is it freezing at a certain point? If so, what precedes the freeze?

Now that you have your own thread, lets stick with this one you've started here. Can you respond to the text in the quote that I have bolded.

Archived