It seems like 10.95.4 has been pulled. I wonder what the issue was? Does anyone have any insight? We've had releases break things but they rarely roll them back within a day.

Yes, I can see the release notes on https://evernote.com/release-notes have reverted back to 'Version 10.94.3 - Latest'. 

On my web, though, I am on version 10.95.4. It seems for people who have got 10.95.4, it won't revert back. But, for people who haven't updated yet or for those who want to download the latest version from evernote.com, the latest is 10.94.3.

Can't comprehend. 😐 

There must have been a regression severe enough for them to pull it, or there was a regression and they are finally taking quality control seriously and decided to pull it.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, timwa said:

I found that Tasks, Files and Calendar in the Sidebar were all unresponsive in 10.95.4 on Windows 11

Same here on Mac.  I had to logout and remove the local database to get it working again.  

• Sad 1
14 hours ago, timwa said:

I found that Tasks, Files and Calendar in the Sidebar were all unresponsive in 10.95.4 on Windows 11

Whow - seems QA released it to hurry for the weekend 😡

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Whow - seems QA released it to hurry for the weekend 😡

even a simple smoke test would find this immediately 😕

• Haha 1

Interesting to read that the update was pulled. I installed 10.95.4 right away (MacBook Air M1) and have noticed zero problems. I use tasks a lot and just checked the calendar and files sections. They all work fine for me.

I'm on EN 10.95.4 WIN. There are some troubles with sidebar menu, and it seems to suck a bit more CPU power than before. And have of course all those earlier bugs and flaws. Quite normal Evernote behavior, i would say.

On 7/4/2024 at 10:23 PM, mackid1993 said:

It seems like 10.95.4 has been pulled. I wonder what the issue was? Does anyone have any insight? We've had releases break things but they rarely roll them back within a day.

They release new updates like crazy, which bring nothing new than chaos. They pulled it probably because there was a major issue. In my case this app designed by children doesn't start on my computer. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

You need to wipe it using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall with the actual installer from the EN website.

But you know this already, because you have been told so in another thread.

If I remember correctly your claim it wouldn’t start is wrong, BTW. It starts, but won’t connect because you try to run a deprecated version of the client (wasn’t it 10.8 …. We are now at 10.94).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You need to wipe it using Revo Uninstaller, then reinstall with the actual installer from the EN website.

But you know this already, because you have been told so in another thread.

If I remember correctly your claim it wouldn’t start is wrong, BTW. It starts, but won’t connect because you try to run a deprecated version of the client (wasn’t it 10.8 …. We are now at 10.94).

No, it didn't start. The latest version.

14 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

It's almost as if no one there uses the software.

That‘s what I was always thinking and that would also explain bad design choices and lacking functionality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, tm87 said:

Interesting to read that the update was pulled. I installed 10.95.4 right away (MacBook Air M1) and have noticed zero problems. I use tasks a lot and just checked the calendar and files sections. They all work fine for me.

IIRC there was a comment during the installation that an update to the database was required.  In my case, when the software restarted, I did not notice an update occurring and then when I tried all notes, tasks and calendars I found they didn't work, so I logged out selecting not to keep the local copy so it could be rebuilt.  That fixed it for me, so maybe this was an installation issue, if the local database update was triggered then it installed correctly, if not then you got the result I saw.

3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

IIRC there was a comment during the installation that an update to the database was required.  In my case, when the software restarted, I did not notice an update occurring and then when I tried all notes, tasks and calendars I found they didn't work, so I logged out selecting not to keep the local copy so it could be rebuilt.  That fixed it for me, so maybe this was an installation issue, if the local database update was triggered then it installed correctly, if not then you got the result I saw.

That's RENT being switched on. If you export an activity log you'll see isRENTenabled: true.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2024 at 6:54 AM, mackid1993 said:

It's almost as if no one there uses the software.

BS probably realized they could push releases faster if they stopped dog-fooding Evernote.

Either their new internal collaboration tool is a lot more productive, or that bugs don't need to be fixed if no one spots them.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

A faulty release has hit the customers. Faulty in basic functions, bricking the app on customer computers, needing additional measures to allow a new install.

That’s all I need to know, and it always points to a massive lack of quality management.

This is not the first faulty release, but it is the worst. And watching the frenzy of releases, I don’t see they learn from what happened.

Which is another fail in QM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

So far, 🤞, I haven't experienced any problems with 10.95.4.

In general, I find MANY mobile apps are frequently updated. I had one that was updating every two or three days recently. Most update weekly with the reason being 'miscellaneous bug fixes'. I wonder if this is the approach in the mobile world? Bending Spoons had come from the mobile development world. Is mobile development more inclined to cycles of rapid releases fixing issues on the run?

I'm not justifying or supporting the approach but wondering if BS had brought this rapid release mentality to Evernote?

• Level 5

EN is a productivity app.

Imagine a company with 1 million employees, all stopped from working because of a bad software update.

This is the dimension we are talking here, just that the user are not all employed by one company, and we don’t get paid, we pay for what we get.

For what I see the approach of releasing new updates is not matching the type of application. And that’s not a glitch, it’s a management failure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Imagine a company with 1 million employees, all stopped from working because of a bad software update.

This is the dimension we are talking here, just that the user are not all employed by one company, and we don’t get paid, we pay for what we get.

For what I see the approach of releasing new updates is not matching the type of application. And that’s not a glitch, it’s a management failure.

I agree with PE 100%. Never thought it would ever come to that 🙂

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Hit the nail right on the head. QA needs to be overhauled and as I've said many times we need a true opt-in beta program.

People like me who like to tinker would be willing to live with some bugs to test the latest hotness. However there are some that just want things to work and would prefer a stable or even LTS channel (wishful thinking).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
23 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

That's RENT being switched on. If you export an activity log you'll see isRENTenabled: true.

Not for me.  Many rent_rollout... variables but no isRENTenabled.

5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not for me.  Many rent_rollout... variables but no isRENTenabled.

This is where to check, you'd go to Help -> Activity Logs -> Save Most Recent Logs

image.thumb.png.ec81c4f0e20466e78e21c61f6f9e7346.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, this is in the currentUserData.txt file on the Mac and not in the .log file. Yes, mine is shown as enabled.

Nice! I assume we'll see a blog post about this soon. @Jon/t mentioned this will be rolling out.

• Level 5

Actually I would prefer a blog post telling we suspend all feature creation, not to be restarted before 

- We have a solid QA firewall for releases installed

- We have a number X of long lasting bugs squeezed, and the processes consolidated in a way that they won’t occur again

It is heroic that they try to sort out in a year plus something what had sedimented in the years before. But I don’t ask for tragic heroes, they may live long and a productive life, fixing what is broken (and not just a little outdated).

• Like 2

Related to this issue??? The application will not load.  I have downloaded latest version from website and reinstalled the application but only get this attached message over and over again.  

image.thumb.png.32d405456aaebeeca58d483796adc746.png

Submitted support request.  Not holding my breath.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, ddg said:

I have downloaded latest version from website and reinstalled the application but only get this attached message over and over again.  

Did you uninstall using Revo or Appcleaner as mentioned above before reinstalling?  A standard uninstall is sometimes not enough.

2 hours ago, ddg said:

Related to this issue??? The application will not load.  I have downloaded latest version from website and reinstalled the application but only get this attached message over and over again.  

Uninstall. Delete %appdata%\Evernote. Reinstall.

8 hours ago, ddg said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately can't install unapproved software (uninstallers). Tried to manually wipe everything named Evernote.  I can access via web.  May be the final straw for me. Just tired of fighting bugs.  Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, ddg said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately can't install unapproved software (uninstallers). Tried to manually wipe everything named Evernote.  I can access via web.  May be the final straw for me. Just tired of fighting bugs.  Thanks again.

You don't need to use Revo Uninstaller just delete %appdata%\Evernote. It does the same exact thing. Nothing of value is stored in the registry.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Actually it doing this manually you should remove %LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote
Documents\Evernote together with the directory selected to store the Evernote data if you have chosen to change that in settings. That's in addition to %AppData%\Evernote as suggested.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, agsteele said:

%LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

Don't delete that. That will leave an Uninstall entry in the registry. It's best to uninstall from Control Panel or Settings and then remove %appdata%\Evernote. Uninstalling will remove the binaries in %localappdata%\Programs\Evernote as well as the entries Windows creates in the registry.

In reality all that needs to be done to clean up an Evernote install is quit Evernote from the menu or open a run box and type taskkill /f /im evernote.exe and delete %appdata%\Evernote and reopen. Electron apps are fairly simple, it's the associated Chromium profile and database that breaks, not the actual installation.

I work in IT for a living, primarily with Windows based systems and my MS is in Cyber Security. I know Windows like the back of my hand. There is no need to waste your time with all of these other steps. They simply will waste time and not do anything to help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, EN-flow said:

Big jump to Version 10.97.1

Not really 😓. None of my biggest issues are fixed therein. Release notes tell the following:

New Features:

• When opening a note link on Evernote web, you can now switch to the desktop app with a single click

Fixes:

• Performance improvements and miscellaneous bug fixes

Whow - couldn't they tell us what "miscellaneous bug fixes" mean?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

When opening a note link on Evernote web, you can now switch to the desktop app with a single click

this doesn't even work

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2024 at 4:19 PM, AlbertR said:

Whow - couldn't they tell us what "miscellaneous bug fixes" mean?

No, without QA they cannot know in advance whether bugs are really fixed or not. It's up to us to find out. So the popular Crowdstrike approach 😏

• Level 5

Well - that’s no contradiction.

Always mention „miscellaneous bugs fixed“ in release notes - maybe you rectified some by accident you did not even try to fix ?! I mean, they break things all the time they said they didn’t touch, so why not fix some through a „black“ job occasionally ?

53 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Well - that’s no contradiction.

Always mention „miscellaneous bugs fixed“ in release notes - maybe you rectified some by accident you did not even try to fix ?! I mean, they break things all the time they said they didn’t touch, so why not fix some through a „black“ job occasionally ?

Was the QA this poor with the old team as well?

2 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Was the QA this poor with the old team as well?

Comparing to the team right before BS bought it? No - I don't think so. Not even close.

When BS first took over and started breaking things, some said "Oh - it's because they are still getting up to speed on the code base" or "Oh - they've inherited a lot of technical debt/baggage"... Well, that was probably true to an extent, but now we see that mostly that's just the way BS rolls.

"Move fast and break things" is how I've seen it described by at least one Level 5 recently. IMO, that may be fine for an image editing app, but for something that people depend on for productivity and have invested thousands and thousands of hours into it and have years and years of notes it's a lot harder to work around.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Just to throw this in: One of the last updates (must have been, I never touched it myself) just toggled the „offline“ switch to off again.

Which means that all my meticulously downloaded offline content on my iPhone has just been send down the gutter, again.

It will take days to download, again.

Its not that I would really need it. I just rely on it for my living as a freelancer who needs access no matter where, no matter when …

BTW offline access is not working on any of my Mac’s either, although they all carry a full download on their respective SSDs.

Support acknowledged the ticket, and went silent about it since.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I am not sure how you find out what the version is. On the website they don't tell version numbers, you only get an installer. The version number becomes visible only when running the installer (at least on the Mac).

I doubt they would roll back that far - this would set back before RENT rollout, and this is probably a problem with the entire data structure, once RENT has been applied. I would run what I have as long as I am not actively informed to uninstall and roll back.