V10 has sooooooo many problems: EVERYONE NEEDS TO SPEAK UP

I have yet one complain (reported here on EN forum many times).

When you try to use keyboard shortcuts to search. Every time I press my shortcut, I expect the search box to be cleared. But not in new EN. This is the only program I know where I have to manually clear the search box before making a new search...

This is the most annoying me behavior of this application. It is completely different of anything I have seen ever.

Reported officially, I am trying to find ticket number for it.

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

The idea is you can repeat searching this way. I have often a situation where I want to find notes using the same search. In these cases it is useful.

Where it is helpful as well is when you switch between searching FOR a note, and the searching IN the note. The In-Note-Search field is already populated with the note search content. I don’t need to type anything again.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The idea is you can repeat searching this way. I have often a situation where I want to find notes using the same search. In these cases it is useful.

Where it is helpful as well is when you switch between searching FOR a note, and the searching IN the note. The In-Note-Search field is already populated with the note search content. I don’t need to type anything again.

As was stated here many many times: "many users, many workflows, many user causes". Which is good for one, isn't good for other. For me it is step back in compare of legacy version. If They want to extend functionality why They don't provide an option to switch this behavior "new" and "old" ?

Additional keystrokes, complete different "workflow". WHY???
I was fine with legacy version. But They forced me to everything new. As extension, increasing price 2x times...

Really, good luck.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gawkla said:

I was fine with legacy version. But They forced me to everything new.

Ok, you need to come to terms that V10 is a different app and Legacy is no longer.  Evernote is V10.  If V10 doesn't do something you want, fine, request it at feedback@evernote.com.  Comparisons back to a version that the new team at Bending Spoons likely never used will get no traction.  If you provide a good use case and how this may benefit others, in addition to you, then the new Evernote team may take your suggestion under advisement. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Ok, you need to come to terms that is a different app and Legacy is no longer.  Evernote is V10.  If V10 doesn't do something you want, fine, request it at feedback@evernote.com.  Comparisons back to a version that the new team at Bending Spoons likely never used will get no traction.  If you provide a good use case and how this may benefit others, in addition to you, then the new Evernote team may take your suggestion under advisement. 

Understand, but how long new EN v10 is created? It is not "complete new thing that currently BS Team is not aware". It is very old, missed / not implemented feature. Theay really squeezing old users away.

• Level 5

The v10 app is new, 100% fresh code, zero carry over.

The only communality was (until May 2023) the common database. This was abandoned when RTE sync was introduced.

It is a new app and should be accepted as such.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, gawkla said:

Understand, but how long new EN v10 is created? It is not "complete new thing that currently BS Team is not aware". It is very old, missed / not implemented feature. Theay really squeezing old users away.

Maybe you aren't aware of the history, but Bending Spoons bought Evernote a little over a year ago, so yes, this is new to them.

Your choices are pretty straightforward, either use V10 and work to improve it with bug reports and feedback, or move to another app that works better for you.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Maybe you aren't aware of the history, but Bending Spoons bought Evernote a little over a year ago, so yes, this is new to them.

Your choices are pretty straightforward, either use V10 and work to improve it with bug reports and feedback, or move to another app that works better for you.

Understand your point of view, but can't agree. I can’t imagine that somebody (BS) bought a piece of software without any basics research. There are hundreds of Users complaining here about EN policy since many years… I am paid customer since 2013 (10 years).
Now I have give a last chance to new team. I am still under my $$ plan, but this is last year (I am cancelled my paid plan and give force to me to find alternative this year).
I am long term paid customer. I know my habits, I know unique and special EN features, but it is right point in time for me to focus on other solution.  Snow ball was fired.

24 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

understand.
good luck, for me (and other users here) step back. This is business goal, business decision. I understand. Im active user since 2013. am worry that all that was paid and developed against many years was gone.

• Level 5

Actually we are all on a subscription. It starts when it is paid, runs for the defined period, and when it's over, the money is consumed. The continuous part are your notes - which you can take and move wherever you want. If you decide to subscribe, the cycle starts again.

What was left at the end of legacy was in fact a ton of technical debt. The new owners have described in the blog what they encountered, and how they managed to keep the boat afloat after the acquisition. It seems the pig they bought had nice lipstick applied ...

https://evernote.com/blog

The server software which was the only remaining active part of legacy was called the Monolith - which described the massiveness and the level of intelligence in a single term. Makes an interesting read - and between the lines anybody can understand why it was necessary to take this can of worms offline.

• Like 3

I am soo pissed!  every scan I do comes up untitled attachment.   I emailed and was told to be patient.  After taking papers out of my trash to try again same issue.  So then I took pics with my phone - they show up when I access through my phone but not on my desktop (again untitled attachment).  Any suggestions for an alternative to Evernote?  sadly I have used this for years but I sure need something that is dependable and is not so time-consuming (picking through my garbage can was so fun).

On 4/16/2024 at 8:56 PM, PinkElephant said:

The v10 app is new, 100% fresh code, zero carry over.

The only communality was (until May 2023) the common database. This was abandoned when RTE sync was introduced.

Well, V10 was released in October 2020, so it's not all that new and fresh anymore...

Can't drag'n'drop attachments into a note. The dropped attachment simply disappears, although before the drop either the line indicating where the drop would take place or (in an empty note) the '+' sign appears, thus Evernote is aware of the intended drop. Hate to say but that worked in Legacy without issue.

Adding via cut/copy and paste seems to work. 

Latest Sonoma/ 10.84.3 mac

Ticket #3873669

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, meredithmorin said:

FYI I DID NOT SIGN UP TO A BETA TESTER

No shouting needed and we are mainly only other users here.  You can open a support ticket or email to feedback@evernote.com

I’ve also experienced the problem, but it was only temporary.  Later when I came back to check, the files were there.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Feitz said:

Can't drag'n'drop attachments into a note. The dropped attachment simply disappears, although before the drop either the line indicating where the drop would take place or (in an empty note) the '+' sign appears, thus Evernote is aware of the intended drop. Hate to say but that worked in Legacy without issue.

Adding via cut/copy and paste seems to work. 

Latest Sonoma/ 10.84.3 mac

Ticket #3873669

Working for me in Windows 10. Sorry I can't offer anything useful.

1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Working for me in Windows 10

There was another mention of it in a new thread that I wasn't aware of.

• Level 5

Drag & drop of files works for me, no issue.

MacOS Sonoma, EN 10.85.2.

With some of the latest updates, functions only came live when logging out of the account, and back in. In one case I needed to restart the Mac to make new features work.

Another one: 

V10 started to create links from certain terms , e.g. words with an .app ending. Whenever I write an app name it creates a link to what it deems appropriate and which I a) don't want it to do and b) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I have to manually unlink the link every time. 

How can I make it stop? I don't want it and I didn't set it to do so.

Didn't find a setting to switch it off...

30 minutes ago, Feitz said:

Another one: 

V10 started to create links from certain terms , e.g. words with an .app ending. Whenever I write an app name it creates a link to what it deems appropriate and which I a) don't want it to do and b) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I have to manually unlink the link every time. 

How can I make it stop? I don't want it and I didn't set it to do so.

Didn't find a setting to switch it off...

You don't. .app is a valid tld. It is working as expected.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Ugh.  Could try type in all but last letter, hit space, enter last letter, remove the space.  Sometimes works with smart systems.

1 hour ago, Dave Green said:

Not a perfect solution, but you can, right after hit the space that causes the link, hit “undo” to remove the link.  Ctrl+Z or Cmd+Z

or just backspace works for me

• Like 2
8 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

You don't. .app is a valid tld. It is working as expected.

well, at least I didn't expect it 🙂

Not being able to edit attachment extensions or 'open with' is becoming a nuisance in V10: 

PDF displayed on a website via php script -> import into V10 -> PDF attached with wrong extension (.php instead of .pdf).

Now I can neither rename the attachment to the correct extension nor open it with anything but the default app (for php). The 'open with' dialogue is also gone.
So there is no way to open the PDF with the appropriate app. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Feitz said:

Not being able to edit attachment extensions or 'open with' is becoming a nuisance in V10: 

Funny - all my attachments open in whatever application I'd expect.  Maybe you should start a new thread with more details about what's happening and we can maybe suggest how to avoid your issues...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Funny - all my attachments open in whatever application I'd expect. 

That's not different here and not the issue: attachment with .php extension opens in editor which is the default app for .php. 

What's wrong is that the PDF was imported with a .php extension instead of a .PDF since it was displayed by a php-script, that I can't change the extension in V10 like I could in Legacy and that I can't chose which app to open the wrongly named attachment with.

EDIT: adding ticket #3875870 to my list of unanswered requests...

To  my workflow this is the most disruptive app I have ever used. 

• Sad 1
On 4/19/2024 at 6:42 AM, Dave Green said:

Not a perfect solution, but you can, right after hit the space that causes the link, hit “undo” to remove the link.  Ctrl+Z or Cmd+Z

good idea, unfortunately more often than not V10 opens the search dialogue when I hit cmd-Z which it is not supposed to do but sigh...

• Level 5

About the extension: First I don’t encounter this, using EN web clipper. Second an app doesn’t need to provide solutions for any weirdness that may exist.

Go to the note, click the attachment, save as (where you can already modify the extension), save it. Then import the corrected file again.

The folder it opens for the import will be the same one you had saved to before, which makes the operation quite straightforward.

5 hours ago, Feitz said:

good idea, unfortunately more often than not V10 opens the search dialogue when I hit cmd-Z which it is not supposed to do but sigh...

That certainly shouldn't happen. Probably worth checking your EN keybaord shortcuts and to see if any of the standard bindings have been changed. 

• Level 5*

Before you post here - please consider opening a new thread.  So far we've had issues being raised with:

• Search
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Scanning
  • Drag n Drop
  • App links
  • Attachments

All with possibly different device/ OS/ Evernote version numbers.  If you have an issue,  or even a rant - please give it a separate thread with a suitable title.  It'll be easier for someone else in the same situation to find content that relates to their situation,  and it makes life a little easier for those replying to the post.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Feitz said:

That's not different here and not the issue: attachment with .php extension opens in editor which is the default app for .php. 

What's wrong is that the PDF was imported with a .php extension instead of a .PDF since it was displayed by a php-script, that I can't change the extension in V10 like I could in Legacy and that I can't chose which app to open the wrongly named attachment with.

EDIT: adding ticket #3875870 to my list of unanswered requests...

To  my workflow this is the most disruptive app I have ever used. 

The pdf was displayed by a PHP script, so what Evernote correctly imported was PHP. In whatever app was displaying the PDF, could you save or extract the PDF?  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Mike P said:

Probably worth checking your EN keybaord shortcuts and to see if any of the standard bindings have been changed. 

Thanks, everything standard in shortcuts.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

About the extension: First I don’t encounter this, using EN web clipper. Second an app doesn’t need to provide solutions for any weirdness that may exist.

basically saying: if it doesn't work, you don't need it ?!?

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Go to the note, click the attachment, save as (where you can already modify the extension), save it. Then import the corrected file again.

The folder it opens for the import will be the same one you had saved to before, which makes the operation quite straightforward.

Why would I then use web clipper at all if I have to redo the imports anyway?
Point is I can't edit file extensions any more and can't choose which app to open an attachment with, which often was very handy in Legacy.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Before you post here - please consider opening a new thread. 

I directly answered to a suggestion of a fellow user here, so no need to point me to forum search...

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you have an issue,  or even a rant - please give it a separate thread with a suitable title.  It'll be easier for someone else in the same situation to find content that relates to their situation,  and it makes life a little easier for those replying to the post.

But in general I agree, threads often develop and get more difficult to tell apart...

8 hours ago, dbvirago said:

The pdf was displayed by a PHP script, so what Evernote correctly imported was PHP. In whatever app was displaying the PDF, could you save or extract the PDF?  

well, web clipper showed the green elephant PDF import button, so it must have recognized the PDF and  I would expect it to import as PDF or not show the PDF import shortcut. Again this woudln't be an issue if I could edit the extension later-on as was possible before V10 (or even in eariler version of V10, I don't remember that)...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Feitz said:

I directly answered to a suggestion of a fellow user here, so no need to point me to forum search...

Just for a change this wasn't personal... ;)

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Feitz said:

well, web clipper showed the green elephant PDF import button, so it must have recognized the PDF and  I would expect it to import as PDF or not show the PDF import shortcut. Again this woudln't be an issue if I could edit the extension later-on as was possible before V10 (or even in eariler version of V10, I don't remember that)...

Same thing just happened to me. Used the web clipper to save a PDF, and it seemed to save fine and is viewable in the note, but can't be opened because it has a slew of nonsense characters appended to it beyond the "pdf" extension. Same on the web so it's not just a desktop client issue. The weird thing is the Evernote client can see the file just fine (it renders multi-page previews, etc.) but for some reason the file name is broken and the rename file function doesn't fix it.

On 4/21/2024 at 5:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

Tried this and thought it would be a useful trick, except the file re-imported with the exact same nonsense characters appended after the pdf extension! Very strange. I should report to support, but I'm getting a little tired of repeatedly reporting bugs and having very few of them actually resolved.

• Thanks 1
On 4/16/2024 at 11:28 AM, gawkla said:

I have yet one complain (reported here on EN forum many times).

When you try to use keyboard shortcuts to search. Every time I press my shortcut, I expect the search box to be cleared. But not in new EN. This is the only program I know where I have to manually clear the search box before making a new search...

This is the most annoying me behavior of this application. It is completely different of anything I have seen ever.

Reported officially, I am trying to find ticket number for it.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

This one is excruciating for me, too. It's not that the old search term should be deleted, it's that the old search term should be highlighted. Want to repeat the search? Just hit enter. Want to delete the search and replace it with a new search term? Just start typing and your keystrokes replace the previously highlighted search term. This is how it works in Spotlight, Finder, Safari, Notes, Chrome, Firefox, Pages, Numbers, Word, Excel, and on and on and on. Just about every application respects this convention except Evernote v10. It's such a small change but irritatingly inconsistent with other applications and it would be so easy to fix.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

This one is excruciating for me, too. It's not that the old search term should be deleted, it's that the old search term should be highlighted. Want to repeat the search? Just hit enter. Want to delete the search and replace it with a new search term? Just start typing and your keystrokes replace the previously highlighted search term. This is how it works in Spotlight, Finder, Safari, Notes, Chrome, Firefox, Pages, Numbers, Word, Excel, and on and on and on. Just about every application respects this convention except Evernote v10. It's such a small change but irritatingly inconsistent with other applications and it would be so easy to fix.

You haven't actually covered the scenario, which I personally use most, of adding to the search. In your proposal you would probably have to type {end} and then {space}. Currently, to highlight the search term so that you can type in a new search, you need to type {shift}+{Home}. So I guess EN need to decide which use needs an extra keystroke or two.

As a general point deleting or overwriting  the search term is an extremely unreliable way of deleting the search, as filters will often still be in place. A much better way is to go to Home first and then search. On windows that's alt+ctrl+1 followed by alt+ctrl+F

3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

fully agree. EV10 is complete different from other apps. I have no idea what it was created this way. Very irritating for me, also complete different from legacy version.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

You haven't actually covered the scenario, which I personally use most, of adding to the search. In your proposal you would probably have to type {end} and then {space}. Currently, to highlight the search term so that you can type in a new search, you need to type {shift}+{Home}. So I guess EN need to decide which use needs an extra keystroke or two.

If you want to add to the search then right arrow then space. Just as you would in probably every other application you have installed on your computer right now. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

If you want to add to the search then right arrow then space. Just as you would in probably every other application you have installed on your computer right now

Which is the same number of key strokes as my suggestion of end then space.

I don't normally add to a search term in other programs. The building up of searches using the advanced search syntax in EN is one of its strengths. It's difficult to incorporate all three scenarios we have discussed without somebody having to hit some extra keys. Currently you are doing the extra and I'm not - I'm sure if it was the other way around I would feel the same! 

4 hours ago, Mike P said:

Which is the same number of key strokes as my suggestion of end then space.

I don't normally add to a search term in other programs. The building up of searches using the advanced search syntax in EN is one of its strengths. It's difficult to incorporate all three scenarios we have discussed without somebody having to hit some extra keys. Currently you are doing the extra and I'm not - I'm sure if it was the other way around I would feel the same! 

The difference is there's a software design convention that Evernote violates, and it just so happens to benefit you. Congratulations, I guess, but that's not a great reason to keep doing it, is it? Also, they are probably violating the convention accidentally, because of the way the desktop app is developed (i.e. with Electron*). If they used native operating system APIs, the "highlight search term" feature would happen by default as it's a built-in function in Windows and Mac. Which is why it worked that way in Evernote legacy and why it works that way in just about every other application...

*Note: to be clear, there's no reason it can't work that way in Electron apps, I'm looking at two Electron apps right now which do it. It just so happens that the developers have to be thoughtful about implementing the feature as it doesn't happen by default, unlike with native apps.

• Like 1

Why should I pay for subscription for a broken app without any available support?

• support ticket I just created after getting annual subscription email.  I don't understand how a business can operate this way.

"I have submitted several support tickets for very significant items such as missing attachments ('Untitled Attachments') and failed ENEX exports that have either not been answered at all or not addressed the problem.  And on top of that there are plentiful other problems with V10 that you seem to be completely ignoring.  So why should I pay an increased annual subscription price to a company that offers their clients service like that?

I hereby announce that any future charges by Evernote or Bending Spoons to my credit card are unauthorised.

In order to retain me as a client I require rectification of the two main issues I have described above in order to regain my trust of your app with my valuable data."

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, enfan-01 said:

In order to retain me as a client I require rectification of the two main issues I have described above in order to regain my trust of your app with my valuable data."

I doubt individual demands carry much weight and you have engaged enough here on the forums to know that it is unlikely Evernote will see this.  Best to send your comments to feedback@evernote.com if you want to be heard, but don't expect a response.  This communication channel is one way only.

• Like 1

One-way communication eh?  How's that working out for users?  Everyone getting what's on their wish list?  Anyone getting major problems resolved?

Maybe some of you 'insiders' can share some light on what exactly this comment from their boilerplate email is supposed to mean (specifically how the part "you will maintain access to all of your notes and notebook" relates to the limits of a free account)? 

"Your subscription won't change until your current billing cycle ends. Once your subscription runs out, your subscription will be canceled and your account will automatically revert to Evernote Free. None of your data will be lost, and you will maintain access to all of your notes and notebooks."

01.jpg

• Level 5*

I’m just letting you know the situation and giving you a better way to respond than complaining to fellow users.

4 hours ago, enfan-01 said:

(specifically how the part "you will maintain access to all of your notes and notebook" relates to the limits of a free account)? 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/23565231682323-Note-and-notebook-limits-in-Evernote-Free-December-2023

There is no insider information.  The information is there if you search.  If you can't find answers to specific questions then ask away ... politely.

• Level 5

If you do more of the same, you get more of the same.

Which in the case of EN led into a chronical lack of profitability, and finally in being sold / taken over.

I doubt anybody wants more of the doing that led to this result ...

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the 8 examples on that linked page that suit/answer my questions about what will happen to all my data and how I can access it after I stop my paid subscription.

Ironically, the question about how many devices "Free" can be used on links to a page that doesn't work.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-Compare-Evernote-plans-and-limits

Number of synced devices 4

4 For more information, see Understanding the device limit.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068

This company is such a f-ing gong show!

001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...