This version of the app is outdated. You need to install the latest version to keep using Evernote. Update now

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Using the legacy database repair tools I found the local database had collected mistakes over time. It was not trustworthy, and for sure no source for a solid backup.

Good point to be checked. Where are these repair tools to be found?

25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It wouldn’t…

And I wouldn’t trust a backup from a local database, that may or may not be intact.

When I switched to v10, I had a lot of differences in the note count between legacy and v10. v10 web, mobile and desktop where showing the same, legacy was off.

Using the legacy database repair tools I found the local database had collected mistakes over time. It was not trustworthy, and for sure no source for a solid backup.

Well, good redundancy, error checking and repairing databases exist for cloud servers, but also locally. It depends on what technology is used where. I've seen damage in cloud databases as much as in local DB's, depending on the technology. There is no guarantee that Evernote uses full proof DB servers in the cloud, though I hope so.

My database at Evernote clearly has something damaged. When I newly install Evernote on an Android device, no matter which, I always get in a "broken" state with notebooks/tags, have to jump through some hoops I found out with help from support, and then it starts up semi-correctly. Currently I have no notebooks anymore on Android. Some other user of Evernote told me a while ago, that support had rebuild his DB at Evernote side, and that similar problems were gone after that. 

But I agree. Making back-ups from a local source, while Evernote clearly states the cloud/remote DB is your leading single point of truth, might be a shaky idea.

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

FWIW, not wishing to bang the drum, evernote-backup does just this.

Very good! If that tool uses goed CRC/HASH based detections on errors (so it can redownload the cache on the right moment), or even better, self correcting redundancy DB, then I would be perfectly comfortable using such a local cache. @Denis L Hope Backupery will do that IF they download locally.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MvdH said:

Making back-ups from a local source, while Evernote clearly states the cloud/remote DB is your leading single point of truth, might be a shaky idea.

But if the local database isn't trustworthy enough to make a backup from, what's the point in having desktop or mobile apps that work on a local copy anyway?

What's the point in syncing if the local copy can't be trusted?

I'm not saying a local DB can't be trusted. In the contrary. A better technology local copy is more trustworthy than a remote shakey no redundancy, no autocorrection, no error detection remote one. I'm not speaking of Evernote nor of Backupery, I'm speaking in general terms.

• Like 1

It's been 3 years after the release of v10, but you still cant edit notes in any RTL language (as you could in v6)... it used to partially work in v6 (you could align the text to the right by clicking ctrl+right shift). Since v10 however they've killed the Crtl-shift option entirely, thus the app can't be used by anyone writing text in RTL languages.

3 years, no one fixed it ... quite a good reason not to upgrade don't u think? Btw, you probably know Ninite - but have you known it still offers only v6? (ever wondered why)? 

When a company stops caring for her clients, her clients do the same!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Keyboard shortcut for right alignment, on the Mac. You can look it up on Windows using the help on keyboard shortcuts.

image.png.08e244b39d6b99e51caca1a28aa7a5a2.png

Of course I can click the align to the right button at the toolbar (or use the shortcut for that matter), but that's not the issue. The issue is that once you align to the right any RTL text that combines punctuations or bullets just breaks (it wasn't happening in v6 if I used the CTRL-RIGHT-SHIFT trick).

There have been many complaints & requests to support RTL over the years that were always ignored by the team for some unknown reason, but people kept on using v6 with RTL languages by using the method I just described (which unfortunately doesn't work anymore). Btw, Joplin does support it.

Here's a screenshot that shows how a text with bullets shows when aligned to the right (normally the numbers should be the first characters on the right):

image.png.38aabd79eb5e3529d5ff60b24e31acaa.png

Here's the text below - so you can try for yourself (and hopefully alert someone in the dev team in hope they'll finally fix this):

1. שורה ראשונה
2. שורה שניה
3. שורה שלישת
4. שורה רביעית

3 מילים אחת אחרי השניה!

Thanks!

• Level 5

We have had these complains with legacy as well - I know, I answered to some of them, always supporting RTL support.

My only point was that you claimed there was no shortcut for right alignment. But there is, even if it doesn't provide the type of alignment you would favor.

Personally I doubt EN will do much about it, at least not in the next couple of months. They would need to add a general setting to the text style, plus maybe a few fonts, plus maybe a user definition of the text styles. All this has been requested since v10 launched, up to now without success.

Which is a pity, both for missed business opportunities for EN as well as for a usage hardship for those on RTL languages.

7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

. All this has been requested since v10 launched, up to now without success.

Which is a pity, both for missed business opportunities for EN as well as for a usage hardship for those on RTL languages.

Couldn't agree more. My guess EN isn't even aware that they're giving up on so many users  (like myself) that would have no other choice, but to ditch their software and look for an alternative once they're forced to upgrade to v10 (which no longer supports even the most basic type of rtl).

Btw, I don't even mind contributing my time & working with someone from DEVs on this, even though they've never shown any interest in fixing this, but unfortunately I can't even reach them...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hmmmm... I wonder if my architect stops being an architect when he meets with me to discuss how I want my house to fit our life style? Is he only an architect when he's drawing lines on a blueprint?

There is a difference between a "developer" and a "coder."  Just mho 

• Like 1

Actually they are synonyms IMHO. The architect in your example would probably be the project/product manager in the case of a software, the ones who link between the clients & the devs.
Well, I guess they're the one to blame if they're not even reviewing these forums to collect users' feedback.

• Level 5
22 hours ago, ALB3452 said:

Actually they are synonyms IMHO. The architect in your example would probably be the project/product manager in the case of a software, the ones who link between the clients & the devs.
Well, I guess they're the one to blame if they're not even reviewing these forums to collect users' feedback.

As a certified Project Manager I wish I could push back on that, but alas...

"In the old days" a true developer wouldn't rely on what a PM, BA, etc. are telling them is needed--they were one with their user community so as they are coding they "know" what users really find valuable. Again, alas...

Let's hope for the best once legacy goes bye-bye (and that they give us a final "okay... as of mm/dd/yyyy you can no longer use legacy" warning so those of us waiting till the end for a miracle will have time to make a final choice and implement it. 

52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Henry Ford (allegedly):  If I asked customers what they really wanted,  they'd've said "faster horses"...

I think that was true.

You don't ask people what they want, you ask them what problems they have and then go solve them.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5
On 11/8/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jon/t said:

I think that was true.

You don't ask people what they want, you ask them what problems they have and then go solve them.

But first you create problems, then ask them what problems they'd like resolved. That way you end up looking like a hero! 🤔

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, jcnassoc said:

But first you create problems, then ask them what problems they'd like resolved. That way you end up looking like a hero! 🤔

A programmer friend once told me this :)

We programmers get paid to fix bugs - it's evolution!

Other manufacturers in other fields have to pay clients to claim for bugs in their products.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've given up on Evernote now that they're forcing me to update the Legacy version to newer versions that don't support RTL. For those of you in similar situations, I've switched to Joplin - it has a similar UI to Evernote, and supports RTL. Plus it's free! Took me a while to import nearly 1000 notebooks, but so far it seems like I've found my solution. 

P.S. I tried switching to Microsoft OneNote first, but kept getting stuck when trying to import notebooks, so I gave up.

• Like 1