Webpages clipped on Android do not save

When I clip a webpage on my Android phone, the clip never seems to appear on the phone. Nor does it appear on my web account (not surprising since when does not appear on the phone). One clip I made over a week ago is still not visible on the phone or on the web account.

It is difficult to know if clips eventually appear after several days, as I do not keep a record of my clips (that's why I use Evernote.)

This means that clipping on the phone does not work and is useless. I reinstalled Evernote, cleared the cache, still no improvement.

My phone has this problem ever since a major upgrade of Evernote some months ago when the interface totally changed. Before this upgrade, I could sync all notes and this worked very well.

To make a clip:

• Go to a webpage in Chrome I want to save.
  • Click on the 3 dots at top right of browser
  • Take option to share to Evernote.
  • This shows a "Clipping" message in Evernote.
  • I then click "Save" to clip the note.
  • The message "Clip saved" is displayed.
  • The message does not appear in the "recent" list. Or anywhere.

Taking the sync option in Evernote on the phone has no effect:

• Click on the t3 bars in bottom left of Evernote.
  • Click on gear icon at top against my account name.
  • Take "Sync" option.
  • Click on "Sync now".
  • WIthin a second, the message "Sync complete" is displayed.
  • I still cannot see the note I clipped.

Evernote version 10.23.1 on Pixel 4a, with Android 12.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert

I find v10 much more consistent that the old v8 on Android. You do have to allow the sharing to complete. It isn't instantaneous. But, for me, it works everytime whereas v8 was mostly not working.

Does Evernote on Android do some sort of intelligent classification of notes? In chrome on my Chromebook, the default behavior of the web clipper is to try to guess the notebook you want the note to appear in. Maybe a similar thing is happening on Android.

• 1 month later...

Looks like it may be a bug in their SQLite code. Just a guess, but this error shows in the Evernote log every time I use the clipper (and I lose the clip data 100% of the time, as well). 

[Sun Jan 30 2022 01:47:09:0853] ERROR: neutron:  AndroidSharedDatabase error {"message":"table Note has no column named bookmarkData (code 1 SQLITE_ERROR): , while compiling: INSERT INTO Note (id, nodeID, container, tags, label, noteContent, status, attachments, bookmarkData)\nVALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)","code":0} apply (native)

• Like 1
On 1/30/2022 at 6:55 AM, apraetor said:

Looks like it may be a bug in their SQLite code. Just a guess, but this error shows in the Evernote log every time I use the clipper (and I lose the clip data 100% of the time, as well). 

[Sun Jan 30 2022 01:47:09:0853] ERROR: neutron:  AndroidSharedDatabase error {"message":"table Note has no column named bookmarkData (code 1 SQLITE_ERROR): , while compiling: INSERT INTO Note (id, nodeID, container, tags, label, noteContent, status, attachments, bookmarkData)\nVALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)","code":0} apply (native)

I just checked the log and find have the same message as you.

As I am on the free version I cannot ask support for help. Evernote Support, please answer us here, as we have a problem where your app does not work for us.

Thanks for the suggestions here, but I still cannot clip on Android. I wish they had worked!

I tried:

1. Cleared the storage and cache from the Android app settings.
  2. Uninstalled then re-installed Evernote.

Neither of these worked - I still cannot clip on Evernote for Android.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, agsteele said:

Did you uninstall the app and then reinstall?

Yes.

BUT after more work, I got web clipping on the Android app to work. Finally, after many hours. Here are steps I took, all on the Android app after the reinstall:

• I noticed that in the Play Store the installed Evernote app said "this app is associated with a different account".
  • As this was not my main account, I deleted it from the phone.
  • The Clipper still did not save the page after clipping.
  • In the app, I checked the settings. I noticed that in the list of my notebooks, one was blank.
  • Then I noticed that when clipping, the notebook appeared as "loading"
  • As this was my only notebook with a name of two words and/or with an apostrophe (') in the name, I edited the name to make it a simple single word.
  • The notebook now appeared in the list, no longer blank.
  • The Clipper worked!

I have spent many hours on this, but at least I can now clip pages properly.

I had this problem for months, since the new interface on Android was introduced. For a few weeks, the app clipped just the URL, then nothing at all. So, I am pleased it now works again.

• Thanks 1

Same problem (share from Android not clipping anymore, just doing nothing).

My solution: in addition to reinstalling, I also did : renamed all my notebooks to remove characters " ' &

Now much better : share works again, and app much more stable (eg not freezing or bugging anymore when displaying list of notebooks) !

Same problem. Cleared cache didn't help. Uninstall/Reinstall worked for one single web clip and then no longer. Who knows how many clips I have lost this week by trusting that they would be there. This is a crippling bug, any info on when a patch update will be released?

No, with v10.26 this is not solved, have the same error:

tried to clip a web page
with Firefox and Chrome on Android 12, Evernote V10.26

I see the clipping dialogue in Evernote, a message, that it is clipped, but nothing appears in Evernote.

Tried it several times, waiting several hours, the clips didn't appear in Evernote, neither in the app nor in web account.

I cleared the data and cache on my Android tablet (settings - apps - Evernote - storage), but without success.

My activity protocol says something about database?

----------------

Tue Feb 08 2022 20:49:09:0183] ERROR: neutron:  AndroidSharedDatabase error {"message":"table Note has no column named bookmarkData (code 1 SQLITE_ERROR[1]): , while compiling: INSERT INTO Note (id, nodeID, container, tags, label, noteContent, status, attachments, bookmarkData)\nVALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)","code":0} apply (native)
[Tue Feb 08 2022 20:49:09:0187]  INFO: neutron:  CEC event sent: {"category":"share-extension","action":"save-intent-to-localdb","clip-source-detail":["https://www.jacksonsart.com"],"pre-note-guid":"32d46cac-40b9-4d8a-a2e4-430427c56d49","tag-guid":[],"notebook-guid":"a5614d3e-d84e-4b71-a3a5-00ca27f617a8","label":"","elapsed-time":8} apply (native)
[Tue Feb 08 2022 20:49:09:0499]  INFO: neutron:  AndroidSharedDatabase notes fetched [] apply (native)

I have done this.

I supposed that someone has already found a solution, that's why I am here.

The activity snippet is for declaration purpose, you must not read it and you can scroll over it.

I have first just cleared storage and cache in the device settings for EN, then uninstalled and reinstalled it, no success. I am not a free member, I have Personal (ex Premium).

The support already has got my activity protocol.

But my experiences with the support are bad, often there only answer is to un- and reinstall, but this mostly hasn't solved any issues from me in the past. That's why I ask here ...

Here the answer from support right now:

Clear cache and storage of EN in device settings - apps - Evernote - storage, then un- and reinstall app.

That's exactly what I did yesterday, that's exactly what I wrote to support yesterday.  they just don't read the mails properly, and they artificially lengthen the requests, and suggest solutions to me that I've already done and told them, that it still didn't work.  It's just annoying when people just don't read what you write to them and only answer in ready-made text modules.🤬

(Yes I have told this to them right now, too!)

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Logi said:

Several users have suggested sending the activity log to support. I am guessing that many are on the free version of Evernote, which gives no access to support.

Anybody who is on a Free account can subscribe for a month, get access to support and use it. It will cost the equivalent of a large "to go with flavor". If it is not worth this amount, then it is not a pressing problem.

We are other users here trying to help, but on some issues we can't. They put a big sign on that door, you know:

seabass-creatives-U3m4_cKbUfc-unsplash.jpg.a7df5fc8c5da7724be7b8d0232d48333.jpg

• Level 5
1 minute ago, BEHA said:

Here the answer from support right now:

Clear cache and storage of EN in device settings - apps - Evernote - storage, then un- and reinstall app.

That's exactly what I did yesterday, that's exactly what I wrote to support yesterday.  they just don't read the news properly, and they artificially lengthen the requests, and suggest solutions to me that I've already done and told them, that it still didn't work.  It's just annoying when people just don't read what you write to them and only answer in ready-made text modules.🤬

Support staff is working on different levels.

Tell them what you told here. I would use nicer words to tell the same message - but this is more a tactical question. If you do not get a better response, ask the ticket to be passed on to 2nd level support, because it does not solve your problem to repeat what has been done already.

And no, it should not be like that, but life is not perfect, companies are not, and honestly we aren't either.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Logi said:

Thanks for the suggestions here, but I still cannot clip on Android. I wish they had worked!

I tried:

1. Cleared the storage and cache from the Android app settings.
  2. Uninstalled then re-installed Evernote.

Neither of these worked - I still cannot clip on Evernote for Android.

That worked for me, Thank You.

• Thanks 1

Hi - coming in late to this discussion. Have exactly the same issue as described by @Logi at the top of this thread.

I've now reverted to sending "clippings" via mail to my Evernote account - a bit less convenient, but at least I don't lose clippings for which I relied on EN to keep them.

Took me a while to realize that some notes hadn't made it from my phone to my EN notebooks - very annoying. And yes, I did try all the cache clearing etc. stuff on the phone.

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, surfrank said:

've now reverted to sending "clippings" via mail to my Evernote account - a bit less convenient, but at least I don't lose clippings for which I relied on EN to keep them.

Did you try any of the suggested resolutions in the thread which seem to have worked for others?

Similar issues here. Clearing cache and reinstalling app hasn't worked.

Also, for info. when I open a note (new or existing) and try to paste a link I'm kicked out to my phone's homescreen - after a few attempts at this I get a message from Evernote confirming it's a bug, (screenshot attached).

I've logged a ticket (private user) and hoping it's fixed soon!

Screenshot_20220216-122549_Device care.jpg

On 2/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, agsteele said:

Did you try any of the suggested resolutions in the thread which seem to have worked for others?

Yes (clear cache, un/reinstall EN on phone) but they didn't result in an improvement.

EN10.27 is being rolled out. Just got it to my devices.Again the release notes do nothing say about bug fixing. Maybe they addressed the issue with this version. I will do some testing by myself.

• Evernote Expert

Apart from a brief issue with v10.24 for Android, I've not experienced any problems sharing a web page from a browser to Evernote on Android.  I'm currently on v10.27

So, although not doubting the experience of others, it is also clear that this isn't a bug in the sense of an issue which can be demonstrated on all devices.

So finding a fix looks likely to take some time since the combination of factors contributing will be difficult to identify.

It could be that android is putting EN to sleep before it completes an upload. 

Try going to android settings, battery, background usage limits, never sleeping apps, add EN to the list by clicking the plus sign, choose from the list and then click the add button.

• 1 month later...

thx all for the suggestions

tried all of them, didn't work, was going to abandon evernote

today, checked names of notebooks again, found one which had an apostrophe ['], renamed it to remove the apostrophe, and wow, clipping finally works again

ability to choose folder during clipping process also works now

thx again

Edited by evozero
changed "folder" to "notebooks"
  • 1 year later...