Version 10 Release - Thumbs up so far!

I've been using Evernote consistently for at least 11 years now. The version 10 release is a long overdue change and appears to be finally moving again in a positive direction.

I''m sure given how many users and their individual behaviors the product supports, you will not be able to please everyone Day One, and I completely expect to find issues as it becomes my everyday driver, but I absolutely think this type of overhaul was required.

Very stale Evernote (along with it's exorbitant recent price scheme) was being threatened by irrelevancy.

I hope that you commit to this version and further improvements and that the community gives you the opportunity to do so.

John

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, NYCJC said:

The version 10 release is a long overdue change and appears to be finally moving again in a positive direction.

Interesting to see a positive post   
My issue is not about the direction;   
imho This version should not be a GA release until issues/bugs are resolved, and missing features implemented

I recommend using the legacy versions until we see a GA quality release

• Like 3

Well, I have to say mine was a knee-jerk post after waiting years for some signs of improvements to various shortfalls in the application and observing the company's various restructurings.

Scanning through the forums now though, I'm concerned about a number of issue reports, primarily the move towards becoming a web app. and the synchronization changes. My first few minutes, though, have been much better than I would have expected. I haven't tested thoroughly by any measure and hope the legacy version remains functional for the foreseeable future (just in case).

I do believe that an overhaul was necessary and long overdue, I just haven't been involved in the design or feedback of the re-work and can't comment on the actual design direction taken. I can say Evernote is pretty awful about providing specifics with version releases and I've yet to learn anything of use from one of their release notes).

Time will tell I guess.

John

• Like 1

I can do another positive post... The new app is great!

I used EN from 2008ish until around 4 years ago when I moved to OneNote.

Reasons for moving were different editor in different apps, notes looked different on different devices, the editor was from the olden days on Win 95, no paragraph headers for a note taking app!! lol... other note takers were becoming much more functional as the world moved on... you could do more with the notes.

Sure, if you wanted to store plain text files with attachments or micromanage everything with 5000 tags then everything was fine but note taking was better & faster using other apps.

The new app looks the part, the editor is great with real functionality.

I'd still like to see free drawing with a pen like with OneNote, this was very handy.
I'd like to see real time collaboration and not just for the business plan.
Would love to see the ability to publicly share a notebook via a URL, with an access password. 
Easier and more integrations with other apps. Not just waiting for others to integrate with EN but EN go out and integrate with big apps.
On click backup off all notes.

Overall, I am more than happy with the new app and I'm a new paying subscriber since the new app came out. I wonder how many of those there are 😘

4 hours ago, NYCJC said:

Well, I have to say mine was a knee-jerk post after waiting years for some signs of improvements to various shortfalls in the application and observing the company's various restructurings.

Scanning through the forums now though, I'm concerned about a number of issue reports, primarily the move towards becoming a web app. and the synchronization changes. My first few minutes, though, have been much better than I would have expected. I haven't tested thoroughly by any measure and hope the legacy version remains functional for the foreseeable future (just in case).

I do believe that an overhaul was necessary and long overdue, I just haven't been involved in the design or feedback of the re-work and can't comment on the actual design direction taken. I can say Evernote is pretty awful about providing specifics with version releases and I've yet to learn anything of use from one of their release notes).

Time will tell I guess.

John

It’s not a web app from what I understand. I think this view is based on a hate of electron and a twisting of some of what Ian said. He said look at the web and it will give you and idea where we are going, it has for that look is being implemented elsewhere. He has recently said that each app has shared code but each will evolve in ways appropriate for the platform it’s used on so its not the case all are the web app. A lot of this seems to come from some people’s strong dislike of electron which is the JavaScript platform they have used to write the new apps. Some people despise this and because it’s Java they say it’s just a website, JavaScript is a language so it can be way more than a website. 

One thing I did was go to the electron website and see who is using it - everyone from Facebook to Microsoft, to the holy notion app and so many more! So a lot of companies are apparently getting it all wrong. 

Personally I’m waiting things out, the new apps work really well for me barring some iOS sync issues which I hope get sorted soon, I know workarounds for those so I can protect my data. The roll out has been in no way smooth, thats for sure, but I think the company is working hard. I feel it’s a little unfair to say the don’t engage well in this forum for much of the tone here wouldn’t get constructive engagement had they replied. 

Just my views - which will probably get me in trouble shortly 😂

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

It’s not a web app from what I understand. I think this view is based on a hate of electron and a twisting of some of what Ian said.

Absolutely. I've worked with a small number of companies who have implemented Electron apps and there's nothing wrong with the framework at all.

It gives you the ability to use the same code over different operating systems and devices. You can also deliver much quicker as you're designing and building once.

They are absolutely not just websites, they use web technologies but are not just websites.

8 minutes ago, wbutchart said:

One thing I did was go to the electron website and see who is using it - everyone from Facebook to Microsoft, to the holy notion app and so many more!

On my PC my email app (Zoho Mail) is Electron, so is Skype, Pocket Casts, Todoist, WhatsApp, iAWriter, Evernote and a few more.

You can write good apps and bad apps in Electron, same as any other platform.

8 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Absolutely. I've worked with a small number of companies who have implemented Electron apps and there's nothing wrong with the framework at all.

It gives you the ability to use the same code over different operating systems and devices. You can also deliver much quicker as you're designing and building once.

They are absolutely not just websites, they use web technologies but are not just websites.

On my PC my email app (Zoho Mail) is Electron, so is Skype, Pocket Casts, Todoist, WhatsApp, iAWriter, Evernote and a few more.

You can write good apps and bad apps in Electron, same as any other platform.

Yeah this is my thinking too. I really like the windows app, its working so well for me and search found something based on two words that may have linked to something I vaguely remembered so I could share it with someone else, was really impressed with that! 
The iOS app as I said, - it’s got sync issues when brought from background for a long period back to foreground, it doesn’t sync at that point for me and data is lost. I just need to close the app before I use it again, it’s fine for short periods, even a few hours but much longer and it wont sync. So I wouldn’t say I really like that app yet lol, i would describe it as temperamental and it will be a while before I trust the iOS app. 

I just installed version 10 and I must admit that I really like it. Of course, as Ian already mentioned, not all functionality isn't provided yet, but it is very promising. The most exiting improvement is the dark theme. Many thanks to the EN team for listening to your customers ! The UI is much more intuitive and although I was used to the top-list view, I think I can use the left list as well.

Two most important features I really miss:

1. Import folder for my scanner workflow

1. HTML Export and Full export of all notebooks at once : this is crucial, as long as I'm not locked in and have a readable archive format like HTML, I'll stay with EN...

• Like 1

I've seen numerous other native applications replaced by web technology and rarely has it been a better experience, but I appreciate the clarifications on Electron, I'm not partial to the backend technology for Evernote as the user experience is key. Bullet proof synchronization and search (which has been lacking for me for years) are important to me.

I've complained (mostly to myself) over many technical and definitely financial issues with Evernote, but I have to admit that not only is my life (both personal and professional) in Evernote, but I've introduced and annually pay for the application for my wife and my children. My eldest daughter started using it in elementary school and it's become a core part of her technical workflow as she heads into college. Even my non-technical wife and her mother use it regularly. I can say that no other application has provided this kind of utility over the years.

I'm hoping that my use case (core features, not dependent on intricate tagging and organization) puts me in decent stead during the move to the new framework.

I will say that it behooves Evernote to revisit their pricing structure though. Where is a family premium plan?

Thanks, all, for your input. I hope Evernote lives on to meet each of your needs.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I've been using the new app for a while too - for my use cases it's working very well. 

There are always complaints on here when things change (people don't like change) and those complaining about missing features also aren't telling Evernote much as I'm sure they'll add the ones that they believe give the most value as and when they come.

All in all, I see v10 as being a vital step to Evernote continuing to be a viable commercial entity and given my long term use (I was on their first server) and dependency on the app I'm pleased with the progress.

• Like 1

I have been a user for 10 years and paying for Premium or Plus pretty much the whole time. Not what some would consider a power user, but I have some set workflows that still are working just fine for the most part. I am leaning towards liking this new app and see it is a positive direction.  Both the Mac and iOS versions. Are there hiccups? Yep.  Can you use legacy? On Mac, yep! I am going to be patient and see how things shake out. But again I think it is making steps in the right direction. Maybe some more beta testing would have been better though.

I am hopeful that they resolve the outstanding issues quickly since they have a unified backend now. 

One thing that does concern me is how the CEO downplayed the importance on tags. They play suck a vital role in EN and are a huge differentiation from other apps. I have a hard time believing so few folks use them and wonder what % of PAYING customers use them. Of course tags were (and still Lina are) a mess on mobile platform so maybe it shouldn’t be too surprising. 

• Like 2

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

• Like 5
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, oden said:

PLEASE, FOR YOUR OWN GOOD, GIVE EVERNOTE A CHANCE TO APOLOGIZE AND IMPROVE. I have been using Evernote since 2011, happily. The last release gives me, like many other fellow users, multiple headaches. A lot of our favorite features are gone. Some new features are not user friendly. Performance is slow. PR was poor. Yes, it should have stayed in beta mode much longer. This holds also true: Evernotes basic intentions for this total make over are legit and logical. They just had to escape the dead end street. Potentially Evernote is still the best organizer out there. I understand the anger and frustration of my fellow users but I encourage everyone to give Evernote a chance to improve version 10. Please, after venting your frustration, give Evernotes developers a break and feed them with detailed, constructive user feedback. I suggest, if possible, you fall back on a recent legacy version. Still superior to the latest Notion, OneNote and others.

@oden, I'm inclined to agree with you. But please post a message only once; multiple posting only adds to the clutter.

On 25/10/2020 at 09:18, Jon/t said:

Je peux faire un autre article positif ... La nouvelle application est géniale!

J'ai utilisé EN de 2008 à il y a environ 4 ans, lorsque je suis passé à OneNote.

Les raisons du déménagement étaient un éditeur différent dans différentes applications, les notes semblaient différentes sur différents appareils, l'éditeur était du bon vieux temps sur Win 95, pas d'en-tête de paragraphe pour une application de prise de notes !! lol ... les autres  Rachat de crédit plus rallonge argent devenaient beaucoup plus fonctionnels à mesure que le monde avançait ... vous pouviez faire plus avec les notes.

Bien sûr, si vous vouliez stocker des fichiers texte brut avec des pièces jointes ou microgérer tout avec 5000 balises, tout allait bien, mais la prise de notes était meilleure et plus rapide en utilisant d'autres applications.

La nouvelle application ressemble à la pièce, l'éditeur est génial avec de vraies fonctionnalités.

J'aimerais toujours voir le dessin gratuit avec un stylo comme avec OneNote, c'était très pratique.
J'aimerais voir une collaboration en temps réel et pas seulement pour le business plan.
J'adorerais voir la possibilité de partager publiquement un bloc-notes via une URL, avec un mot de passe d'accès. 
Des intégrations plus faciles et plus avec d'autres applications. Pas seulement attendre que les autres s'intègrent à EN, mais EN sortent et s'intègrent avec de grandes applications.
Cliquez sur sauvegarder toutes les notes.

Dans l'ensemble, je suis plus que satisfait de la nouvelle application et je suis un nouvel abonné payant depuis la sortie de la nouvelle application. Je me demande combien il y en a 😘

Hello, I too would like to have the possibility of publicly sharing a notepad via an UR, how do we go about it?

Today I've further tested version 10 .

To give some context: In total I have 3400 notes spread over a few notebooks. I'm a heavy tag user.

First of all, I'm impressed by the stability and robustness: it's much better than the first releases of  new windows implementations a couple of years ago!

It took a couple of hours before all my notes were downloaded in background. At first I didn't realize that the notes were still downloading and I started simultaneously an export to ENEX of a complete notebook of 3000 notes. When I finally noticed that it was still downloading my notes, I was afraid that EN would deadlock on non-existing notes in my local database, but it nicely synchronized with the download and my ENEX export finished properly without any hick-up!

During the download, I already reorganized complete notebooks and tags without any problem. I wouldn't have done that if I would have known that it was still building the database, but surprisingly, everything went fine!

The search engine is improved and is intuitive for non technical users as well.

Since people complained about code-block problems, I tested it myself: source code from VisualStudio Code is properly copied into a code block in a monospaced font. At least for my purposes, it's ok.

I further tested note editing and everything is there for my workflow.

To conclude: I'm convinced that version 10 is a big step forward with a lot of potential. Since there is only one code base left, EN developers will be able to focus more on features and innovation !

So, I'm glad that I made the switch already...

3 hours ago, eric99 said:

Since people complained about code-block problems, I tested it myself: source code from VisualStudio Code is properly copied into a code block in a monospaced font. At least for my purposes, it's ok

Not sure if you've found out yet but there's very basic markdown support. ``` gives you a code block - very nice shortcut. So is --- for a line :)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The Shortcuts seem not to work in the editor of the iOS client.

That's a shame... still waiting for the Android app to go live but would be nice to see some of the markdown shortcuts included.

So much easier to do this for headings

# heading
## heading 2
### heading 3

and use + or - for a bullet list.

Hopefully it will come.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 10:50 PM, Jon/t said:

Not sure if you've found out yet but there's very basic markdown support. ``` gives you a code block - very nice shortcut. So is --- for a line

The other really useful coding feature is the ability to add inline code by surrounding your text with single back ticks.

image.png.f2b2544f92bc55def25b6e8e8fc0c5b6.png

I also really love the #, ## and ### for different header levels.