Note cannot be deleted or moved

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

I created a note from my phone (iPhone X). First issue is that the data I input, didn't hold. I went to add to the note and the notes I had jotted down weren't visible. I did however, have a new blank note. 

I recreated the note, taking more care to ensure I hit the green checkbox, and gave the note a title. My 2nd attempt at creating a note succeeded.

I then went back and tried to delete the blank note on my mobile device. I was unable to. It would just reappear (see .mov attached). 

When I was back at my desktop, I could see the blank note, but also had a message that the note was "unavailable" – and, when I took this screenshot, I was definitely online. I was able to successfully delete this note from desktop:2020-09-20_19-52-40.thumb.jpg.da70923cd60b6367221601d72bcb5fca.jpg

• Sad 1

Additional details: 

Although I was successful in deleting the blank note from the Mac client, and the deletion of that note did NOT carry over to the new iOS client, nor to the web client. And, I'm unable to delete the blank note from the web client, nor the iOS client. But, the blank note is not reappearing in my desktop client. The delete behavior here on the web is the same as in the video provided above. It looks like it deletes (temporarily goes away), and then reappears a few seconds later.

image.thumb.png.479199a0dadfda28e7a1f95440e274b3.png

• Level 5*

One thing that has worked for me in getting rid of a note which refuses to be deleted, on Windows anyway, is to:

1. Create a new note on the desktop version
  2. Merge with the problematic note
  3. Delete the resultant note.

FWIW.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a seemingly corrupted note ("Note unavailable" error) in the iOS version of Evernote (running iOS 14). When I move it to Trash it restores itself back to the original notebook. When I try to move it to another notebook (to delete the entire notebook or merge it with another note, as some users suggested in the past), it doesn't move either.

The note doesn't exist in the desktop version of Evernote (Mac) or in the web version, it's just stuck in my iOS Evernote. I've tried deleting and reinstalling the app but the corrupted note is still there.

This is a really odd issue that I've never had in about 8 years of using Evernote.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, evernomeansno said:

Yes, I've done that but it's still there.

Hmmn.  Very strange - the 'phone doesn't store notes locally (AFAIK) and if you've removed the app and reset the memory on the device (by restarting it) there's nowhere (that I'm aware of) for the note to hide.  I can only suggest you give Twitter and @EvernoteHelps a shot to see whether they can help - although with all the fuss going on at the moment it isn't going to be a quick response.  Hopefully one of the others here who has more iOS experience will be able to suggest something...

Hi everyone! I've the same issue. I'm unable to delete or move the corrupted note. On macOS the does not allow me to edit the note, and on iOS it gives me the "Note unavailable" error. Tried the web version but the end result is the same. It does not allow me to move or delete the note.

• Level 5

I have created a note by sharing a scan from the HP scanner app on my iPad. The first problem was that it didn't contain the scan as PDF. It just was an empty note without content. And now I cannot do anything with it. I tried to delete it, edit it or move it to a different notebook on all my platforms (iOS, Web-App and Mac). I guess this useless note will stay there forever.

1 hour ago, Stuhrer said:

I have created a note by sharing a scan from the HP scanner app on my iPad. The first problem was that it didn't contain the scan as PDF. It just was an empty note without content. And now I cannot do anything with it. I tried to delete it, edit it or move it to a different notebook on all my platforms (iOS, Web-App and Mac). I guess this useless note will stay there forever.

I know this "blank note" issue after a scan, too - after selecting a different note and re-selecting the new one the content appears (seems to be a refresh issue).

To get rid of this note maybe the legacy apps could help?

• Level 5
5 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

I know this "blank note" issue after a scan, too - after selecting a different note and re-selecting the new one the content appears (seems to be a refresh issue).

OK. Thank you. Until now I had no success, even with the old Mac version that I am still using. I might try to get some help from the support.

• Level 5
52 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

I found a solution. I moved all notes to a temporary notebook. The "blank note" was then the only one in the notebook. I then deleted the complete notebook, emptied the trash, recreated the notebook and moved the notes back. At least I got rid of the strange note.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Hi All,

This is an issue we've seen a small number of users report.

For what it's worth, we have often found that these notes do become deletable after a few days.

While this is obviously not a viable solution, I wanted to let you know in case you want to try deleting them again in the future.

In the meantime, we're working to address it, and I'll provide an update once I know more.

• Level 5

I had an undeletable note as well, created on my iPhone 11 Pro Max by sharing a selection of 4 photos from the camera roll in one go. iOS 14, EN 10.0.4

It synced to all other devices, header only, no content. It showed itself to be undeletable, even EN support did not know how to solve it. In the end uninstalling the app on the iPhone, dumping all data (offline notebooks) and reinstalling was the only way to get rid of the note.

When it was gone from the source device, it could be removed from the others.

Probably EN 10 chocked on digesting 4 pictures at once (what a laugh, this is nothing over which an app should get into trouble).

Dead note problem here too. 

Yesterday I created a new note in my iphone app. But the note didn’t allow editing. Since then, this note can’t be deleted. When I send it to the trash, it appears again in my inbox notebook. 

I’ve restored the phone and reinstalling the app, but the note is still there. 

This note is synchronized and appears in the V10 desktop software for Windows too. 

See attached screenshots from iOS app.

F4427AC7-DC62-4E8B-B769-5EF1AAAE9D89.jpeg 7A6281B3-D523-4607-A26E-B92757500ECD.jpeg

• Level 5
1 hour ago, pepemacias said:

Dead note problem here too. 

Yesterday I created a new note in my iphone app. But the note didn’t allow editing. Since then, this note can’t be deleted. When I send it to the trash, it appears again in my inbox notebook. 

I’ve restored the phone and reinstalling the app, but the note is still there. 

This note is synchronized and appears in the V10 desktop software for Windows too. 

See attached screenshots from iOS app.

F4427AC7-DC62-4E8B-B769-5EF1AAAE9D89.jpeg 7A6281B3-D523-4607-A26E-B92757500ECD.jpeg

From what I read so far about this problem I think the solution could be:

• Remove all other notes from the folder
  • Make another folder your default folder
  • Delete the folder

Or you could try to merge the note in a desktop client with a "healthy" note. This could make the note editable and deletable.

Or wait for some time. See Shane D. response above that such a note could get healed after some time.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to [resolved] Can't delete or move note that self-restores
15 minutes ago, ks. said:

If you do not know, here you can find a lot of good alternatives for Evernote. While Evernote goes downhill last ten years, many other counterparts built exciting applications.

Please stop spamming all over the place. Please post this ONCE in an on-topic thread talking about alternatives. Please delete your spamming posts. If not, I hope some moderator will block your account or something. Thx.

Hello I have the same problem it seems:

• Undeleatable note was created on IOS app
  • The corrupted note appears also on the Web client (descarting IOS memory or cache) @gazumped
  • The corrupted note is not allowing my windows client to sync.
  • It wont allow me to delete it or get moved to another notebook. When deleted the note on the app, it says it deleted it successfully but then the note reapears. watch video*

Activity log in Windows client:

12:18:47 [INFO   ] [12204] [9308] 86% Retrieving note "Untitled note"
12:18:47 [INFO   ] [12204] [9308] 86% * guid={95f09731-a9d2-194a-dfa5-f06263c46142}
12:18:47 [INFO   ] [12204] [9308] 86% * note content, length=122
12:18:47 [ERROR  ] [12204] [15752] Geocoding: unexpected status: "REQUEST_DENIED"
12:18:49 [INFO   ] [12204] [9308] 100% Submitting a batch of 15 note calls, size=3.9 MB
12:18:50 [ERROR  ] [12204] [9308] 100% EDAMNotFoundException: id="Note.guid" key="95f09731-a9d2-194a-dfa5-f06263c46142"
12:18:50 [INFO   ] [12204] [4536] Client synchronization finished, status: failed
12:18:50 [INFO   ] [12204] [4536] * elapsed time: 3s
12:18:50 [INFO   ] [12204] [4536] * 2 items received

• Level 5

One more observation with another corrupted note, this from Sunday: The notebook in which the note got stuck is not downloading completely to offline use. Offline download stopped at appr. the progress bar status where the note is found, in chronological order.

So there is more to such notes than just not being able to delete them. They seem to block other processes as well.

• Level 5

Update: After the corrupted note could be deleted, the offline download (that had been stuck, most likely because of that single note) continued until all the download indicator bar was green - but it did not close, even not after an hour waiting time.

So I decided to switch the notebook in the settings once to „no download“, then I clicked on „keep data“. The toggle returned to „on“, and after appr. 40sec of waiting it switched itself „off“.

Then I switched it directly (without closing the app) to „ON“ again, it started downloading, went through the download pretty fast this time (everything was already in local memory), and this time it closed the download, showing the notebook is now completely available offline.

So a thumbs up 👍 from my side for 10.1.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Update: After the corrupted note could be deleted, the offline download (that had been stuck, most likely because of that single note) continued until all the download indicator bar was green - but it did not close, even not after an hour waiting time.

So I decided to switch the notebook in the settings once to „no download“, then I clicked on „keep data“. The toggle returned to „on“, and after appr. 40sec of waiting it switched itself „off“.

Then I switched it directly (without closing the app) to „ON“ again, it started downloading, went through the download pretty fast this time (everything was already in local memory), and this time it closed the download, showing the notebook is now completely available offline.

So a thumbs up 👍 from my side for 10.1.

does not work for me

• Like 1

Have the same issue with two notes. No note content however was able to change the titles. The notes would not allow me to add a pdf drawing set. One of the notes was in my account for over a week and never allowed me to deleted, would just keep popping back into the original notebook. I found this as a fix: On Mac, right click, select move to trash, quickly right click again and it glitches to show the options for in trash delete, select option to Delete Permanently. This deleted the notes from the folder. Not in any way an acceptable solution, but for now it seems to have worked. 

• Thanks 1