Enhancements for Templates

CalS

Idea

• Level 5*

I know templates just arrived, but...

Templates are a great addition.  The thing with templates is that they are used for repeatable actions.  As such there may also be repeatable characteristics of the template other than the body, like part of the title and tags.  As such a couple of thoughts:

1. Save the tags from the base note with the template.
  2. Save whatever title is in the base note with the template.

Personal example is a phone call template.  The title starts with Phone Call - leaving space for the participant at the end.  The tag is !Phone.  With the current templates I have to add the title text and the tag every time I create a Phone Call note.  It is quicker to use my existing method of double clicking the ENEX of my template which sits on the desktop (double screen set up and the shortcut is always visible).  I then get a new note with the above already in it.

Thanks for listening.

26 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 9/25/2018 at 11:08 AM, Lauren S. said:

Budget Template - Please consider adding simple mathematic functions of addition, subtraction, total.  Thanks!

I'm not seeing math functions as a template request; more of a general table request
Please add your vote to the request linked below

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112314-basic-calculation-in-tables/

I really like the templates feature, however a number of my existing templates include attachments and these disappear when turning them into templates. so please add support for attachments in templates!

thanks,

Lorenz

Love the new Templates feature... really great for Business use and fast note creation in general... But I would like the my Templates gallery to show templates specifically for my Personal and business accounts. I don't need to see my business templates in my personal account and vice versa. It will provide a better overview and reduce clutter.
Also I often share my screen in a meeting setting, and to show my personal templates to all meeting participants is just not very "pro".

Thanks

Kristoffer

17 hours ago, CalS said:

Not if the cell is blank.  There has to be something in the cell for the text format to stick to the cell.  Alignment on the other hand does stick.

Yup. not just table cells but anywhere. A blank line seems to take on whatever formatting was last used on the previous line unless there is "something" to hold a different format. I tried a space but while it works fine in a note, it's no good in templates. Spaces in templates come out looking like the attached screen clip. Capture.JPG.a6179777c3119552e8bbacfb60059800.JPG

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, tavor said:

Why use ENEX instead of a regular note to store your template?

Double click and the note is created, go to the Inbox, click on the note.  More steps if cloning an existing note..  Again, if title and tags persist in a template, add note, select template.  Not so much the number of steps as the time and ease to accomplish them.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Not to be a killjoy but I'm struggling to see what this provides over what I currently do today which is just tag a note as template and copy it when needed.  Maybe future enhancements will make the feature benefit clearer.

Agreed. If I copy my "template" note, I get the title and tags.

12 hours ago, CalS said:

I can see benefit if tags and title are included in the template.  Click new note, select the template and you are off.  A bit quicker than my current double click the ENEX and go get the note.  

Why use ENEX instead of a regular note to store your template? I guess locating your enex is a bit quicker if you always have the area of your desktop where the enex sits visible. As you know, if you use a regular note, you could create a shortcut to it, and then use the built-in keyboard access to duplicate the note.

For those that haven't seen anything other than the too-short-video on templates, these articles provide a little more color:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001929468

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001929488

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, CalS said:

I can see benefit if tags and title are included in the template.

If they're not, it's a deal-breaker for me (you can see how much I've played around with templates, eh?). 

38 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not to be a killjoy but I'm struggling to see what this provides over what I currently do today which is just tag a note as template and copy it when needed.  Maybe future enhancements will make the feature benefit clearer.

For me, personally, I'm not seeing it either, at least right now. *shrug* But it sounds like other folks like it, and more power to them.

• Level 5*

I can see benefit if tags and title are included in the template.  Click new note, select the template and you are off.  A bit quicker than my current double click the ENEX and go get the note.  

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I'm struggling to see what this provides over what I currently do today

I'm thinking this has more value for the newbies who have trouble with the features.

It could also be a base for form features since the template isn't stored as a common note.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, jefito said:

I haven't decided whether templates are worth my time or not.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not if the cell is blank.  There has to be something in the cell for the text format to stick to the cell.  Alignment on the other hand does stick.

Never said anything about tables; neither did the person I was responding to. I just typed, e.g.:

BOLD: 

RED: 

Italic: 

Comic Sans MS: 

Leaving the last space before the line break in the desired style makes it work fine. 

In general, though, it would be nice to be able to apply styles to particular cells without needing to have a character in that style present. Or on empty lines, for that matter.. Then you'd get that in templates for free.

I haven't decided whether templates are worth my time or not. I do use templates for a weekly planner type thing, and for non-trivial bug/feature tickets, and maybe one or two more things. I used to start from a blank template for my weekly planner, but more recently, I've just found it easier to to duplicate last week's, clear out the daily entries, change the dates and due dates, and clip out anything related to to-do items from the week before (so I can summarize the last week's activities for a Tuesday meeting). Sounds like a lot, but it's a good first-thing-Monday-morning activity while the brain cells are reving up...

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, jefito said:

I can do that with a template. Do I read this as that you cannot, or you haven't tried it?

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

The templates are wonderful and I have a minor suggestion that would make them even better. Allow the user to have formatting (like bold, underline, italic etc.) as part of the template so that when the user types in a particular spot the result is automatically bold type, and somewhere else it is not.

I can do that with a template. Do I read this as that you cannot, or you haven't tried it?

Thank you! Thank you!

Oh, and did I mention thank you!

The hrule works again so I can get rid of the 1px high image of an hrule I have been using for quite some time. Attaching a picture of a horizontal rule may not have been efficient but was necessary when the regular one stopped working a few versions back.

The templates are wonderful and I have a minor suggestion that would make them even better. Allow the user to have formatting (like bold, underline, italic etc.) as part of the template so that when the user types in a particular spot the result is automatically bold type, and somewhere else it is not.
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'd like to be able to edit the template,  but I have no idea where they're stored.

When adding templates from the EN site, they appear immediately in the Windows client without syncing (it seems they have their own separate sync). That suggests templates maybe intended to work from the cloud.

I find editing a template via creating a note with it, deleting the original and saving the note as a  template, to be enough for now.  Not as convenient I guess.

Have long wanted templates and today discovered they had been added.

Some enhancements I'd like  ( some similar to those posted above ) 

a) a virtual folder element on the left hand tree browser where i could see all my templates and more importantly edit them ( like the tags tree )

b) get rid of that annoying - "this note isn't synced yet so you cannot make it a template error" - please just sync the note for me !!!!

c) ability to template the title and target folder/tags as well as the main body 

d) let me add drop down lists or combo lists to a template so i can make forms more easily

e) let me publish a template to a website ( or embed in a website ) and have the submit button create a note ( maybe as a premium only feature ). I know evernote isnt a fully fledged form builder , but its so close to what i'd like that sometimes the idea of paying for another service JUST to allow me to host adhoc forms for friends / family events  is frustrating. 

f) an android widget listing my templates by most recently used so i can quickly create notes from my android home screen ( or a button "create note from template" on the existing widget 

I've been an Evernote user since 2008. I currently use Evernote on my Windows 10 desktop, Android Phone and Apple iPad

• Level 5*

My enhancement request is to save the template as a note.
I'd like to be able to edit the template,  but I have no idea where they're stored.

>>It is quicker to use my existing method ...

I'm also continuing with my workflow using stored template notes.
Duplicate note works for me; I also use scripting (Mac) to automate the process.

Archived