Basic calculation in Tables

Maik Schurrer

Idea

I would like this feature, too.  I tried to use your standard savings temple and it's a bit of a joke if you need to manually calculate all the fields you provide in there.  Try it and lol!

I find the "slippery slope" argument silly. You could use that for any new feature request.

Embedded Excel sheet worked fine for xOS (it updated the note) but updates did not propogate back to Evernote under Windows (download worked, though).

• Like 4

Voted. Especially after seeing Notion app can do these simple calculations in their tables it made me think that I can have my statements or expenses in a table like a table of content and it can add them up for and I can have links to other notes.

Now I keep tables for things in Evernote but then I also have an Excel file saved in that note so I can do the summation etc. Would be nice to have one table period.

• Like 4

Being a 20 year business user of IT I do second this request.

I would never want to do complex calculations in Evernote as there are better tools. There is no great need for anything more than + - / * for cells in row or column with a sum to make the tables feature more useful in Evernote.

As a corporate person I would further more not expect my customers to assess feasibility or the risk of my operations but to give me their opinion on features.

I do understand Evernote is a progressive company with options. As a customer I would therefore like simple calculations like I can do them for long even in spotlight on Mac or in the google search engine to help my workflow. It shouldn´t be hard and it is logical for a table feature.

Please bring basic calculations to tables.

Your customer :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Upvoting this here.

Reasoning: I want to be able to start as much as I can in Evernote and then eventually move some of thoses I started into a more robust environment for taking it it all the way home, as it where.

E.g.:

Writing articles:
1. Tee it up with some loose thoughts before I lose them, in EN
2. File it away for a while
3. Come back to it and massage it some more 
4. Notice it's taking shape and could be publishable
5. Move into Google doc

I'd like to be able to do the same with spreadsheets.

EN would just be a staging area that way. Plenty of ideas would die in EN for lack of attention, but some of it would see the light of day through something like Google Sheets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

If I was Evernote, I would be hesitant. Basic calculations today. Summary and Average calculations tomorrow. Statistic calculations soon. Slippery slope.

Well , that doesn't matter as long it not too weight the program . If it is useful people will likely chose to use it or subscribe for it . For complex calculation I think people would still prefer using Excel with all their feature , but evernote as a personal note it would just need some simple calculation , rather than using calculator manually and write the value manually. That would help saving time and effort .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sure slippery slope. But I want to use Evernote as a scratch pad to refer back to things and use as I speaking to clients. I need to SUM quickly and refer back to without creating a spreadsheet just for a quick calculation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, thom382 said:

Just being able to sum a column would be extremely useful to me.

Just merged an identical request to this topic, wherein I talked about how the developers might go about getting started with this (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/112314-basic-calculation-in-tables/#comment-560544), it's not so much that simple summing is difficult, it's a fair amount of setup that needs to take place before the simple summing can come into play...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Yes, it would be nice to have some basic calculations in tables. Missing them  from time to time myself.

But it would be nice to have a ton of other features as well. And now we are getting closer to the roaring cliffs on software ocean:

Not every user asks for the same, and the total of all requests will turn every software into a crappy piece of bloatware.

So, on second thought, I would still like to have some base functions, but I can pretty much do without it. And there is nothing absurd about this idea.

I absolutely do not accept the "slippery slope" argument and feel I have enough information to see this essential feature request rather clearly - and as follows.

1. Evernote is a NOTE TAKING application whose primary goal (if i'm not mistaken) is to make it FAST & EASY CAPTURE essential ideas and well, ummm NOTES.  Further, it's BUSINESS obligations are / should be to give its users AS FEW REASONS AS POSSIBLE to HAVE to use other solutions, or leave their platform environment AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
  2. Numbers (best stored in TABLES) actually 100% qualify as NOTES.
  3. Tables of numbers without ANY formulas are relatively USELESS and SIGNIFICANTLY slow down the note taking process WITHOUT BASIC formulas (see point 1 above).
  4. Linking LOCAL Excel documents (not even SAS cloud spreadsheet integration mind you, like Google Sheets or Office 360) causes SIGNIFICANT issues / slow down / limitation and creates OUTSIDE DEPENDENCIES (not to mention creates a slew of other irritants and ongoing complications like user expense buying additional software, file management / migration of local files, ongoing 3rd party compatibility issues / coding updates etc.)
  5. THUS, BASIC FORMULAS (summing, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) ARE INDEED ESSENTIAL AND ARE LONG OVERDUE.  I'm actually surprised this feature only has 255 upvotes as of this moment, but am sure that's far under representing the percentage of users or potential users (who may not be adopting EN because this basic necessary feature is not supported).

Please - get ON this Evernote!  More advanced formulas / functions, like table to table communications (which apparently requires table names which do not as of yet exist in the EN database), percentage calculations (desired but again, could live without for 90%+ of my daily needs at least) and more, could easily wait if these basic tools were provided reliable / robust.

On 3/24/2017 at 5:18 AM, Maik Schurrer said:

I would love to have the possiblity to make simple calculations (sum, multiplication, ...) in the tables.

It would be very helpful. I don't need a full excel capabilities... just simple calculations.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If I was Evernote, I would be hesitant. Basic calculations today. Summary and Average calculations tomorrow. Statistic calculations soon. Slippery slope.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Curiously, calculations, even statistical stuff is not that hard. It's getting hold of the operands in a persistable way. But if you can solve the latter, the former is easy...

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Over the years I have seen this happen with similar requests to Evernote. Starts out with a simple "Please provide a simple photo editor", but eventually blossoms to requests for multi-layer PhotoShop capabilities.

And I remember one post (8 years ago) that explained it better than I could. It was the "I want a pony" reply...

jefito on July 15, 2010

"It's more often a case of "Users may know what they want, but don't necessarily understand the implications of what they're asking for". BTW, this often means not only external customers, but internal ones as well, including your own dear company executives and other valued colleagues. From the age of 2 on, nobody likes to hear "no you can't have that." As in: "I want a pony." "You can't have a pony." "But I want a pony." "We live in a 1-bedroom 4th floor walkup in Brooklyn. No you can't have a pony." <pause> "I want a pony." (OK, I'm just making light, the passcode request is not an unreasonable one)."

"Anyway, it's pretty clear the Evernote folks are aware of the request, and they're not ignoring their customers. There's a difference between ignoring and not doing what they want. Dave E engages the forum visitors here, and I really believe that when he says "thanks for the suggestion", he really means it, as formulaic as is may seem (since he says it so often). But the fact of the matter is that feature prioritization is their business -- they know their resources, they know their technologies, they know their plans, they know their markets, and yes, they do have some idea of what their customers want (and what percentage of those customers are really affected by the request). That's a lot of stuff to balance, and ultimately, it's their business that's at risk."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, naturale said:

This can Help a lot when someone want to sum the value of ingredient for example or many things that need some basic calculation . 

I added my vote.  It's not a high priority for me, but why not.

>>Well , that is what tables usually used for , isn't it .

I see tables as a word processing thing; a way to line up information in rows and columns with a border grid.

btw  My word processing app (Pages) has basic calculation with tables

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

I see tables as a word processing thing; a way to line up information in rows and columns with a border grid.

A spreadsheet user might dispute this a little.. :) 

21 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

jefito on July 15, 2010

Wow, dredged that one up out of the dust of history, eh? Thanks for the memory!

• Like 1
On 3/17/2018 at 3:18 AM, DTLow said:

I added my vote.  It's not a high priority for me, but why not.

>>Well , that is what tables usually used for , isn't it .

btw  My word processing app (Pages) has basic calculation with tables

Thank you for the vote DTLow 

Another useful and badly needed feature request sat on for over a year.  Evernote has not been getting many usability updates.  Why is that?  As a paying user I really would like to see more improvements like this.  I can't say how disappointed I am to see stuff like this ignored.

Edit:  Scratch that.  I just saw requests going back to 2012 asking for this.  So you've sat on it for 6 years?  SERIOUSLY? I'm not sure what the next level below disappointed is, but that's where I am at now.  Disafurious?  There, Evernote's frequent gross incompetence resulted in the creation of a new word.

• Level 5*
On 3/28/2018 at 11:47 AM, Exavior said:

Why is that?

Did you indicate your support for this request.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion.

I also think this would be a useful feature, but do you think Evernote should transfer resources for a request that only has 9 user votes.   edit: the request is up to 28 votes

Yes, I voted. :)

But you can not expect every user to be active in the forums.  I only recently got frustrated enough with lacking functionality to come here via google searches.  But I've seen a number of threads on this issue, all with votes, dating back 6 years.   This is not a complex bit of functionality to add (software engineer here) and with how stagnate Evernote has been I'm wondering what they are spending their time on.  There are a lot of great requests that have never been acted on.   All add value to the application, all seemingly ignored.  If I were using free Evernote I would not be upset, but I'm paying for Evernote with the sole intent of supporting a product I believe in, but I'm not seeing much activity on their part.

You say "only 9 votes" but keep in mind that whenever a bug is reported, or a feature suggested, that number represents only a small fraction of users. (usually only a fraction of a percent)  So 9 might as well be 9,000.  In an example such as this most users who don't see the ability to sum a column in Evernote just go elsewhere or do the the math on their own.  They don't take even more time out of their day to search for forums, which they might not know exist, and post a request or search for and vote on an existing requests.   

The value of the request should be the determining factor, not votes from an isolated segmentation of a user-group.  At the end of the day, this has been on their radar and overlooked. 

If it were overlooked because they were busy churning out functionality and improvements that would be a different matter, but in my personal experience Evernote functionality improvements have been extremely stagnate for a long time.

• Level 5*

@Exavior

Sure, this is not super complex functionality (yes, software engineer here as well, and also yes, I've implemented functionality like this before for commercial products), but honestly, is this really a high priority piece of functionality required by the general Evernote user, or a nice-to-have for a smaller audience? Remember, votes here in the forums are counted, but they're not the only source of feature interest gathered by Evernote. Even so, from outside, how is it possible for you or me to gauge a proposed feature's importance to Evernote and/or its customers? Do you have some secret source that gives you all the answers? I guess I need to assume that you do, as well as one that gives you your deep insight as to what Evernote developers do with their time. Me, I guess I am going to just have to trust that they know their customers better than me, and somehow have managed to accumulate a reported 200 million users to date despite their apparent "stagnate"-ness. *shrug*

For me, the usual rule of thumb to any application or tool that I use applies: if a particular piece of functionality is required for my workflow isn't present, then I'll seen another tool, or at least a workaround. In this case, table calculations aren't a requirement for me, but a feasible workaround would be to use a spreadsheet attachment.

Me, I'd be a lot happier if they got their basic editing down rock-solid, with performance improvements and perhaps enhancements like formatting styles first. This feature would be pretty far down on my list, but that's just me. You see it differently, apparently, and that's perfectly valid (and btw, thank you for using the voting system, and also for being a paying customer). But as far as I can tell, I doubt that you or I can really extrapolate from our own opinions and the visible forum information to some greater knowledge of what the general Evernote user wants most.

Agreed, many of my notes and all the ones with tables would benefit from this.  Instead I have to maintain them in Excel which is ridiculously over the top for simple lists of balances etc.

Just found this is Evernote's help:

Can I insert formulas or other spreadsheet functions into my table?

No. Tables in Evernote are optimized for the display, presentation, and visualization of information. Tables in Evernote are not optimized for manipulating data. If you use a spreadsheet program outside of Evernote, you can attach the file to your note to keep it in context with the rest of your notes.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Nathon said:

If you use a spreadsheet program outside of Evernote, you can attach the file to your note to keep it in context with the rest of your notes.

This is my solution for formulas and other spreadsheet functions (spreadsheet program outside of Evernote)
The data actually comes from Evernote; I mass copy the data from notes into the spreadsheet
Two options for the spreadsheet file

1. Store somewhere and include a link in a note
  2. Store as an attachment in a note
    I prefer this option. I don't have to be concerned where the spreadsheet is filed, or backed up.
  • Level 5*
On 9/14/2018 at 6:34 AM, AndiB said:

I would never want to do complex calculations in Evernote as there are better tools. There is no great need for anything more than + - / * for cells in row or column with a sum to make the tables feature more useful in Evernote.

Um, except this: getting to "+ - / *" is the hard part: you have to figure out how to specify cell referencing for tables (which are not necessarily regular grids, btw, because you can merge adjacent cells) so users can specify formulas. Once you get that sorted, then you need to make a parser so that constructs like "1 + 2 * 3" are handled correctly (it's 7, not 9, btw), plus parenthesis handling so you can write "(1 *2) * 3", and so on. You also need to handle the fact that now a cell can contain two values: a formula, and a result. But then hey, once you're there, adding things like abs(), sin(), max(), etc. are not not hard.

Yep, I've implemented functionality like this, though not in a spreadsheet/grid context, so it isn't all guesswork.

BTW: I did upvote this item, as I can see its utility, even for me. But I don't think it's as easy as some people think, so I'm not expecting it any time soon.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2018 at 6:58 AM, jbenson2 said:

Honestly I don't see how this is a slippery slope. It's a matter of Product Management and feature planning as noted (basic calculations first, advanced calculations later); finding out what features users want and need and adding them.

Evernote isn't an advanced spreadsheet application, so how they design the UX would be more about an approach that's focused on simplicity IMO. If you really need an advanced Sheet, why don't you link a Google Sheet in your Note and open it in an app that's made for it? What I'd like to see is the nice Google doc link formatting that's in Desktop on mobile…

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, paulvantuyl said:

Honestly I don't see how this is a slippery slope. It's a matter of Product Management and feature planning as noted (basic calculations first, advanced calculations later); finding out what features users want and need and adding them.

Once again, it's not much harder to expose advanced calculations then it is to expose the easier ones. The hard part is exposing the cell/range referencing so that it's reasonable for users to make their own formulas. You could assume A1, B2, etc. like everyone else, but that's not currently exposed to the user at it is in a true spreadsheet. So now you have to accept some UI unclarity, or redesign tables to accommodate. And gee, it sure would be nice to reference a different table in the same note (or in a different note, whee!) but tables don't have names at this time. Sort that out, and math/formulas are pretty easy, though you need to watch out for circular references, etc. But it's the first step that's harder, and that's the basis for everything else. Well, after that, I suppose formatting would be necessary, though you can expose that with functions, I suppose.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool / useful, mind.

Your suggestion to link to a Google sheet is good, or you could embed an Excel (or whatever) spreadsheet right in a note. Right now, that's the only way...

Honestly I'd be happy at this point if I could just copy from cells in an EN note, and have them paste into a Google sheet's spreadsheet and/or Excel, cell for cell.

Right now all the values from all cells in EN paste into a single column in Google/Excel. That's not helping me at all.

Bonus would be if I could spawn a new, blank Google Sheet from the Evernote.

I just want to tee it up in EN and move it quickly into some sheet where formulas are possible.

I prefer taking notes in Evernote, but I cannot do some simple calculation in Evernote. I have to switch context to Calculation app or Excel on my mobile for computing the numbers in my note.

I would be great if Evernote can save my precious time. Notes look better and safe in Evernote on multiple devices that why I want to use Evernote instead of opening an Excel spreadsheet for noting my calculations.

Please add Computation Cells that can be referenced in other Computation Cells' or simple formula cells.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2018 at 1:14 AM, jefito said:

Once again, it's not much harder to expose advanced calculations then it is to expose the easier ones. The hard part is exposing the cell/range referencing so that it's reasonable for users to make their own formulas. You could assume A1, B2, etc. like everyone else, but that's not currently exposed to the user at it is in a true spreadsheet. So now you have to accept some UI unclarity, or redesign tables to accommodate. And gee, it sure would be nice to reference a different table in the same note (or in a different note, whee!) but tables don't have names at this time. Sort that out, and math/formulas are pretty easy, though you need to watch out for circular references, etc. But it's the first step that's harder, and that's the basis for everything else. Well, after that, I suppose formatting would be necessary, though you can expose that with functions, I suppose.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool / useful, mind.

Your suggestion to link to a Google sheet is good, or you could embed an Excel (or whatever) spreadsheet right in a note. Right now, that's the only way...

Sounds like you're saying it would be easier, maybe even necessary, to develop a calculation table as a separate feature that co-exist with the current table feature? (Like "Insert... 'normal table' or 'calculation table'"?

Anyway, I would definitely love this feature at some point.

You mention "(...)you could embed an Excel (or whatever) spreadsheet right in a note"

Are you saying it is currently possible to embed a an Office document and not simply add it as an attachment that needs to be opened in order to be read?

Edited by Petsolb
typos!
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Petsolb said:

Sounds like you're saying it would be easier, maybe even necessary, to develop a calculation table as a separate feature that co-exist with the current table feature? (Like "Insert... 'normal table' or 'calculation table'"?

I don't know which would be easier. In order to make this happen, you'd need a way to recognize cell/range references in in a table, and distinguish them from things that might look like cell references or formulas. This has to be done using some form of HTML markup, and I don't know how easy/difficult it would be for Evernote to do all of that.

For me, the easy (and cool) bit -- or at least the part of the problem that I have experience with -- is parsing and evaluating formulas.

You mention "(...)you could embed an Excel (or whatever) spreadsheet right in a note"

Are you saying it is currently possible to embed a an Office document and not simply add it as an attachment that needs to be opened in order to be read?

"Embed" means "create attachment".

• Level 5*

On my Mac inline display is an option for Office/iWork documents; doesn't have to be opened to be read

3 hours ago, jefito said:

I don't know which would be easier. In order to make this happen, you'd need a way to recognize cell/range references in in a table, and distinguish them from things that might look like cell references or formulas. This has to be done using some form of HTML markup, and I don't know how easy/difficult it would be for Evernote to do all of that.

For me, the easy (and cool) bit -- or at least the part of the problem that I have experience with -- is parsing and evaluating formulas.

"Embed" means "create attachment".

Hey, thanks. I thought you meant you could preview/display directly in the note. I use windows/ Android, I guess I've seen people refer to the mac version.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

On my Mac inline display is an option for Office/iWork documents; doesn't have to be opened to be read

Cool! Care to share a screenshot?

Sounds like the mac version is the the most advanced version right now?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Petsolb said:

Cool! Care to share a screenshot?

Here's my budget note1391293387_ScreenShot2019-06-10at12_12_20.png.c9acb3212ded76e518f4f97a99507923.png

A script to transfer receipt notes
and
the actual spreadsheet

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, mathieu93 said:

proper way of voting

There's a vote button at the top left corner of the discussion.  This request has 6D06D433-85DC-405F-B7B8-510251F99920.jpeg.de3e2bdcb861e973b7395f00dcf9fa0b.jpegvotes

• Like 1

I definitely support this idea, particularly now that Templates has become such a great feature.

I have a template that I use as a vehicle log book for my camper van. I record the mileage at the start and end of each day's trip and it suddenly struck me that if I put this part into a table then it could calculate the daily mileage. Alas no - but I so wish that it would!

I don't want a mini-Excel, just something that will add, subtract, multiply and divide numeric data in cells.

• Like 1

Native markdown is a 100% compatible commonmark renderer, a react native markdown renderer done right. This is not a web-view markdown renderer but a renderer that uses native components for all its elements. These components can be overwritten when needed as seen in the examples.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, rk1461 said:

Native markdown is a 100% compatible commonmark renderer, a react native markdown renderer done right. This is not a web-view markdown renderer but a renderer that uses native components for all its elements. These components can be overwritten when needed as seen in the examples.

Not quite sure what you're going on about; this topic is not about Markdown.

The new version of the Evernote provides very good abilities for creating and editing tables. But some notes that require elementary calculations (e.g. total sum etc.) I still keep in the spreadsheets. It would be nice if the tables supported basic math formulas not to keep the notes in different applications and to use the Evernote for everything :)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Brandon Wood said:

The solution I use for this is to create the table using Apple Numbers and copy and paste it into Evernote. 

Paste into Evernote will not provide "calculations In tables"   
I would embed the spreadsheet as a note attachment; displayed inline on my Mac

• Level 5*

OK, here's how to do it:

1. First things first: if you want to attach a formula to a table, you're going to need a way to refer to the table if the formula is outside the table, either in the body of the note elsewhere, or in a different table. That goes to the internal anchor problem/request that is already present in the Evernote wish-o-sphere. And you probably need a way to define a landing spot for the result of the calculation, a la a code block or suchlike. So a new Evernote element to add. Note that for calculations done wholly inside a table, the previous items are not really necessary. All of this needs to be encodable in ENML, of course.
  2. OK, so now we have a way to attach tables to formulas, we probably want to make sure that the tables are regular rectangular grids. You can create irregular tables in Evernote, and those would be awkward to use (though not impossible).
  3. Given a rectangular table, we could then adopt the Excel cell referencing scheme A1, C43, AB7, etc, including the absolute referencing $D$8 stuff. Oh, and including the range stuff, e.g., A1:B10, etc, etc
  4. OK, so now you have a way to reference cells and ranges in your table, now you get to the real fun stuff: formulas!! things like (again using Excel as an example): =SUM(A1:C20), =A1+A2*A3, etc, etc. To do that, you need a little formula parser, the read & validate & eventually evaluate a formula. Probably no need to worry too much about performance here (famous last words), as any really large, computation heavy table calculations would likely be far better served by, um, using a spreadsheet.
  5. Probably want to be able to copy from a spreadsheet into a note, and vice-versa, and have things Just WorkTM.

Sure, there's lots of fussy little details to worry about, but it seems pretty straightforwards, right?

Very much yes. Simple calculations like sums, also some basic number formatting. Nothing serious. I use tables for some basic finance stuff and budgets. I end up having to do the calculations in Google Sheets and drop them in... not the worst, but a bit of time suck.

• Like 1
On 9/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, Nathon said:

Just found this is Evernote's help:

Can I insert formulas or other spreadsheet functions into my table?

No. Tables in Evernote are optimized for the display, presentation, and visualization of information. Tables in Evernote are not optimized for manipulating data. If you use a spreadsheet program outside of Evernote, you can attach the file to your note to keep it in context with the rest of your notes.

There's a problem there if you need to edit the file. It won't save back into Evernote. You have to save the sheet to disk, delete the attachment in Evernote then reattach the saved file. It's clunky.

I see no reason why simple calculations should be problematic; there's obviously a demand for it at it works well in Notion, Coda, etc. If you don't like the idea of it, simply don't use it.

Being able to do basic calculation in Evernote, makes sharing notes between family members for budgeting purposes much easier and more valuable than if we had to get off of this platform and onto another to do the same thing. It keeps everything together.

From the point of view of Evernote, you become the more valuable platform where everything can live, making it more and more probable that people will continue to pay.

Not at all! I have a template that I use frequently for a vehicle log. Setting aside the fact that you probably can't put a spreadsheet into a template anyway, all I want it to do is subtract start mileage from finish mileage and show the answer - elegant simplicity rather than complicated mathematics - add, subtract, multiply, divide is all that's needed. This idea was mooted over four years ago and has received widespread support, it's a shame that Evernote has not been more proactive on this matter.

• Level 5

If all ideas that were posted over time would have been implemented, we would have a nice little fatty piece of bloatware by now. Calculation may sound simple, but HTML does not support it by default.

Personally I think it would be a nice extension of the tables function - but the sun will not stop to shine if it is not implemented.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Different technology, different platform.

Think of an EN note as a web site, think of a table as of a table on a web site. It is mainly designed to show content in an orderly manner. It is not designed to replace a spreadsheet. To add calculation, it probably needs a sort of plugin that extends the capabilities HTML in itself does not cover.

• Level 5*
On 9/7/2021 at 4:31 PM, Pounders said:

find another note taking app

For calculations, I recommend finding a spreadsheet app   
Some word processing apps support basic calculation functions

• Haha 1

Nimbus Notes has basic calculations, percentage completed and so on in their tables. I find even a small table with no calculations slows down the page loading, but others might be OK with it. EN is much snappier, and also allows image embedding in tables. I feel it's horses for courses here, and EN's tables suit my use case better. 

On 5/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

Different technology, different platform.

Think of an EN note as a web site, think of a table as of a table on a web site. It is mainly designed to show content in an orderly manner. It is not designed to replace a spreadsheet. To add calculation, it probably needs a sort of plugin that extends the capabilities HTML in itself does not cover.

This is a nonsensical argument.

Tasks and Google Calendar integration is not supported by HTML either but it's here and actually makes Evernote appealing again.

Notion handles cell formulas in an elegant way and would be a great source of inspiration for this feature.

• Level 5

The integrations work by linking, which is a HTML feature.

The basic design of notion is completely different - it is practically a data base behind a user interface. Nothing to be learned from it - unless you tear the whole EN system apart and rebuild from scratch.

We will see if calc in tables will ever arrive.

At this point I would rather have the option to preview documents and image files in EN just like with PDFs, PNGs etc. I guess a calculation table/ calculator could be added as a Home widget short term, for on the go calculations, either by Evernote or a third party. If Evernote finds the time to do a full calculation integration in the text editor at some point, that would also be great, but an image preview allows for so many other uses.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Petsolb said:

At this point I would rather have the option to preview documents and image files in EN just like with PDFs, PNGs etc. I guess a calculation table/ calculator could be added as a Home widget short term, for on the go calculations, either by Evernote or a third party. If Evernote finds the time to do a full calculation integration in the text editor at some point, that would also be great, but an image preview allows for so many other uses.

I agree. My ideal would be to see a Google spreadheet embedded in the note rather than just a link. 

• Level 5

If I need some number crunching ability, I am embedding a spreadsheet document into the note.

Since one of the last releases it again opens directly from the note, and saves changes back to the attachment when I hit „Close“ in the Spreadsheet application.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

If I need some number crunching ability, I am embedding a spreadsheet document into the note.

Since one of the last releases it again opens directly from the note, and saves changes back to the attachment when I hit „Close“ in the Spreadsheet application.

Agreed, tables are really useful for attaching documents. I keep my original editable documents in EN, and open them directly from the note. When I've made a change, I save a copy of the document as PDF in a backup folder on my harddrive, and paste it back into evernote, using the table to add date and add any additional comments. Just so much easier than rummaging through the file explorer on windows and checking each file. Also helps me prevent documents names like "FINAL-v2_edit_this-is-FINAL_(...)"

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Petsolb said:

When I've made a change, I save a PDF in a backup folder on my harddrive

I don"t understand the use of a "PDF in a backup folder"    
My data is stored in Evernote,  in enml format (basically html).  Attachments are stored in their native format

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don"t understand the use of a "PDF in a backup folder"    
My data is stored in Evernote,  in enml format (basically html).  Attachments are stored in their native format

I meant to say I save a PDF copy of the document ( "save as" within Excel or whatever app I am using) on a harddrive, keeping the original, editable file in EN. I started doing this as I want to keep backup copies outside EN, and even if I "save as" to the EN attachment folder, I still need to add it manually to a table to make it appear.

The reason I save copies as PDFs is just a personal preference, as it prevents me from messing up by editing different copies of the same document from two different locations.

• Level 5

Depending on what platform you use:

• Windows - use a standard backup software to copy the local EN data folder to a backup medium, like an external disk or a NAS
  • Mac - use TimeMachine to do the same, together with all the other files

You can restore from this backup to an EN client if needed, it runs all the time, automatically, and you save yourself a lot of permanent effort just to create copies you -most likely - will never need.