2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
naturale

Basic calculation in Tables

Idea

Hi ,

I think it is would be cool and useful  if the Table in evernote  could do some basic Calculation like excel , no need so complex like what excel do , but some calculation between cell. 

This can Help a lot when someone want to sum the value of ingredient for example or many things that need some basic calculation . Well , that is what tables usually used for , isn't it . 

Hope you would reconsider this Idea ,

Thank you .

• Like 2

24 replies to this idea

If I was Evernote, I would be hesitant. Basic calculations today. Summary and Average calculations tomorrow. Statistic calculations soon. Slippery slope.

9 minutes ago, jbenson2 said:

If I was Evernote, I would be hesitant. Basic calculations today. Summary and Average calculations tomorrow. Statistic calculations soon. Slippery slope.

Well , that doesn't matter as long it not too weight the program . If it is useful people will likely chose to use it or subscribe for it . For complex calculation I think people would still prefer using Excel with all their feature , but evernote as a personal note it would just need some simple calculation , rather than using calculator manually and write the value manually. That would help saving time and effort .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Curiously, calculations, even statistical stuff is not that hard. It's getting hold of the operands in a persistable way. But if you can solve the latter, the former is easy...

• Like 2

Over the years I have seen this happen with similar requests to Evernote. Starts out with a simple "Please provide a simple photo editor", but eventually blossoms to requests for multi-layer PhotoShop capabilities.

And I remember one post (8 years ago) that explained it better than I could. It was the "I want a pony" reply...

jefito on July 15, 2010

"It's more often a case of "Users may know what they want, but don't necessarily understand the implications of what they're asking for". BTW, this often means not only external customers, but internal ones as well, including your own dear company executives and other valued colleagues. From the age of 2 on, nobody likes to hear "no you can't have that." As in: "I want a pony." "You can't have a pony." "But I want a pony." "We live in a 1-bedroom 4th floor walkup in Brooklyn. No you can't have a pony." <pause> "I want a pony." (OK, I'm just making light, the passcode request is not an unreasonable one)."

"Anyway, it's pretty clear the Evernote folks are aware of the request, and they're not ignoring their customers. There's a difference between ignoring and not doing what they want. Dave E engages the forum visitors here, and I really believe that when he says "thanks for the suggestion", he really means it, as formulaic as is may seem (since he says it so often). But the fact of the matter is that feature prioritization is their business -- they know their resources, they know their technologies, they know their plans, they know their markets, and yes, they do have some idea of what their customers want (and what percentage of those customers are really affected by the request). That's a lot of stuff to balance, and ultimately, it's their business that's at risk."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naturale said:

This can Help a lot when someone want to sum the value of ingredient for example or many things that need some basic calculation . 

I added my vote.  It's not a high priority for me, but why not.

>>Well , that is what tables usually used for , isn't it .

I see tables as a word processing thing; a way to line up information in rows and columns with a border grid.

btw  My word processing app (Pages) has basic calculation with tables

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

I see tables as a word processing thing; a way to line up information in rows and columns with a border grid.

A spreadsheet user might dispute this a little.. :) 

21 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

jefito on July 15, 2010

Wow, dredged that one up out of the dust of history, eh? Thanks for the memory!

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 3:18 AM, DTLow said:

I added my vote.  It's not a high priority for me, but why not.

>>Well , that is what tables usually used for , isn't it .

btw  My word processing app (Pages) has basic calculation with tables

Thank you for the vote DTLow 

Upvoted.

I'd love to see basic calculation capability - addition, multiplication, exponents.

• Like 1

Sure slippery slope. But I want to use Evernote as a scratch pad to refer back to things and use as I speaking to clients. I need to SUM quickly and refer back to without creating a spreadsheet just for a quick calculation.

• Like 1

I'd love to see too, I really need that features

Voted. Especially after seeing Notion app can do these simple calculations in their tables it made me think that I can have my statements or expenses in a table like a table of content and it can add them up for and I can have links to other notes.

Now I keep tables for things in Evernote but then I also have an Excel file saved in that note so I can do the summation etc. Would be nice to have one table period.

• Like 1

I try to keep my daily hours worked per project in a table in Evernote. I would like this function so I can have the table tally each day and project for me. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Just found this is Evernote's help:

Can I insert formulas or other spreadsheet functions into my table?

No. Tables in Evernote are optimized for the display, presentation, and visualization of information. Tables in Evernote are not optimized for manipulating data. If you use a spreadsheet program outside of Evernote, you can attach the file to your note to keep it in context with the rest of your notes.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, Nathon said:

If you use a spreadsheet program outside of Evernote, you can attach the file to your note to keep it in context with the rest of your notes.

This is my solution for formulas and other spreadsheet functions (spreadsheet program outside of Evernote)
The data actually comes from Evernote; I mass copy the data from notes into the spreadsheet
Two options for the spreadsheet file

1. Store somewhere and include a link in a note
  2. Store as an attachment in a note
    I prefer this option. I don't have to be concerned where the spreadsheet is filed, or backed up.

Being a 20 year business user of IT I do second this request.

I would never want to do complex calculations in Evernote as there are better tools. There is no great need for anything more than + - / * for cells in row or column with a sum to make the tables feature more useful in Evernote.

As a corporate person I would further more not expect my customers to assess feasibility or the risk of my operations but to give me their opinion on features.

I do understand Evernote is a progressive company with options. As a customer I would therefore like simple calculations like I can do them for long even in spotlight on Mac or in the google search engine to help my workflow. It shouldn´t be hard and it is logical for a table feature.

Please bring basic calculations to tables.

Your customer :)

• Like 1

Upvoting this here.

Reasoning: I want to be able to start as much as I can in Evernote and then eventually move some of thoses I started into a more robust environment for taking it it all the way home, as it where.

E.g.:

Writing articles:
1. Tee it up with some loose thoughts before I lose them, in EN
2. File it away for a while
3. Come back to it and massage it some more 
4. Notice it's taking shape and could be publishable
5. Move into Google doc

I'd like to be able to do the same with spreadsheets.

EN would just be a staging area that way. Plenty of ideas would die in EN for lack of attention, but some of it would see the light of day through something like Google Sheets.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 6:34 AM, AndiB said:

I would never want to do complex calculations in Evernote as there are better tools. There is no great need for anything more than + - / * for cells in row or column with a sum to make the tables feature more useful in Evernote.

Um, except this: getting to "+ - / *" is the hard part: you have to figure out how to specify cell referencing for tables (which are not necessarily regular grids, btw, because you can merge adjacent cells) so users can specify formulas. Once you get that sorted, then you need to make a parser so that constructs like "1 + 2 * 3" are handled correctly (it's 7, not 9, btw), plus parenthesis handling so you can write "(1 *2) * 3", and so on. You also need to handle the fact that now a cell can contain two values: a formula, and a result. But then hey, once you're there, adding things like abs(), sin(), max(), etc. are not not hard.

Yep, I've implemented functionality like this, though not in a spreadsheet/grid context, so it isn't all guesswork.

BTW: I did upvote this item, as I can see its utility, even for me. But I don't think it's as easy as some people think, so I'm not expecting it any time soon.

• Like 1

Just being able to auto sum a column would be extremely useful to me.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 6:58 AM, jbenson2 said:

Honestly I don't see how this is a slippery slope. It's a matter of Product Management and feature planning as noted (basic calculations first, advanced calculations later); finding out what features users want and need and adding them.

Evernote isn't an advanced spreadsheet application, so how they design the UX would be more about an approach that's focused on simplicity IMO. If you really need an advanced Sheet, why don't you link a Google Sheet in your Note and open it in an app that's made for it? What I'd like to see is the nice Google doc link formatting that's in Desktop on mobile…

6 hours ago, paulvantuyl said:

Honestly I don't see how this is a slippery slope. It's a matter of Product Management and feature planning as noted (basic calculations first, advanced calculations later); finding out what features users want and need and adding them.

Once again, it's not much harder to expose advanced calculations then it is to expose the easier ones. The hard part is exposing the cell/range referencing so that it's reasonable for users to make their own formulas. You could assume A1, B2, etc. like everyone else, but that's not currently exposed to the user at it is in a true spreadsheet. So now you have to accept some UI unclarity, or redesign tables to accommodate. And gee, it sure would be nice to reference a different table in the same note (or in a different note, whee!) but tables don't have names at this time. Sort that out, and math/formulas are pretty easy, though you need to watch out for circular references, etc. But it's the first step that's harder, and that's the basis for everything else. Well, after that, I suppose formatting would be necessary, though you can expose that with functions, I suppose.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool / useful, mind.

Your suggestion to link to a Google sheet is good, or you could embed an Excel (or whatever) spreadsheet right in a note. Right now, that's the only way...

Honestly I'd be happy at this point if I could just copy from cells in an EN note, and have them paste into a Google sheet's spreadsheet and/or Excel, cell for cell.

Right now all the values from all cells in EN paste into a single column in Google/Excel. That's not helping me at all.

Bonus would be if I could spawn a new, blank Google Sheet from the Evernote.

I just want to tee it up in EN and move it quickly into some sheet where formulas are possible.

I would like this feature, too.  I tried to use your standard savings temple and it's a bit of a joke if you need to manually calculate all the fields you provide in there.  Try it and lol!

I find the "slippery slope" argument silly. You could use that for any new feature request.

Embedded Excel sheet worked fine for xOS (it updated the note) but updates did not propogate back to Evernote under Windows (download worked, though).