Evernote for Mac 5.6

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey all!

After 10 betas, Evernote for Mac 5.6 is finally out! Here's the link: http://goo.gl/3KLwXd

This is an absolutely massive release with tons of bug fixes and tremendous speed improvements. This will also accelerate the pace of our development going forward. The whole team is looking forward to your feedback!

Release notes:

At Evernote, we believe that speed and stability are essential for productivity. That’s why we’ve completely rewritten Evernote for Mac. It may look familiar but it's significantly faster, more reliable and consumes less energy than ever before. We’ve also snuck in some new features!
Speed:

• Sync is more than 3x faster. Users with lots of shared notebooks and Evernote Business users will see the biggest improvements.
  • New notes sync instantly so they’re immediately accessible on your other devices.
  • Share notes without waiting for a sync to complete.
  • Launch and quit times have been reduced dramatically.
  • New keyboard shortcuts have been added to jump to the note list for easy navigation (CMD + |) and you can now tab between the search field, the note list, current note title and note body.
  • Energy consumption when the app is idle has been significantly reduced.

Stability:

• We’ve closed over 500 bugs including more than 150 types of crashes.
  • Our crash reporting system has been completely rebuilt.

New features:

• Tables can now be resized, and have configurable background colors and border styles.
  • Images can be resized right in the note editor. Just click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner.
  • Search results are now ordered by relevance.
  • Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.
  • Redesigned checkboxes in the note editor are easier to click.
  • Evernote will now stay logged in by default.
  • Search your notes with Spotlight.

It seems this update removes Spotlight's ability to index content of PDF files in my Evernote database.

It seems that version 5.6 only lets Spotlight index the titles of the notes and not the content.

Can somebody confirm this.

I'm seeing just the opposite problem. I have a 70 page pdf manual for my riding lawn mower in EN. When I search for the model number (long string of numbers) in EN, the pdf isn't found. If I search that same number in Spotlight, it shows me the note.

EDIT: Further testing......and now the same issue @santander reports. I found a unique word in that pdf, "freewheel". Searching in EN, I'm shown the note. Searching in Spotlight, nothing.

I've tested several times now, and the results of both are repeatable.

@pgdahl:  Some like the progress bar, some don't.   ;)

I think that illustrates the point that Evernote needs to give us more control over the UI, more Preferences.

Now with over 100M users, I'm sure there is lots of diversity.  One size doesn't fit all.

I think Evernote knows that. They just refuse to apply it to the Mac user base who, it seems, they consider too dumb to operate a customisable interface. Apparently removing buttons and lock down the rest saves a load of cash in terms of customer support.  The steady journey towards an interface that looks pretty but does absolutely nothing started way before version 5.

I think that illustrates the point that Evernote needs to give us more control over the UI, more Preferences.

Now with over 100M users, I'm sure there is lots of diversity.  One size doesn't fit all.

I think Evernote knows that. They just refuse to apply it to the Mac user base who, it seems, they consider too dumb to operate a customisable interface. Apparently removing buttons and lock down the rest saves a load of cash in terms of customer support.  The steady journey towards an interface that looks pretty but does absolutely nothing started way before version 5.

And yet, there are keyboard shortcuts for absolutely everything, and if you're versed in the product it's fluid and fast and great. But shortcuts are for advanced users, not novices.

Wait, what?

I was happy with the functionality at version 4. A document database with a good Spotlight search is one of my most important requirements. This version is a step back in this respect. Although I am able to find most documents by searching within Evernote itself it is interrupting to my work flow to have to switch to Evernote to do a search if Spotlight does not get the result.

• Level 5*

I noticed that Evernote are offering this update as a direct .dmg download from the Evernote site. Does this mean that the version I use, from the Apple Mac App Store, has been superseded?

Evernote has always offered the download from both the App Store and the Evernote site.

The Evernote site has the advantage of receiving updates faster because it doesn't have to wait for the Apple approval cycle.

Most of us recommend the Evernote site.

And yet, there are keyboard shortcuts for absolutely everything, and if you're versed in the product it's fluid and fast and great. But shortcuts are for advanced users, not novices.

Wait, what?

Yes, do wait a minute. 

You're wrong. Evernote for Mac also fails miserably when it comes to keyboard shortcuts. There certainly are not keyboard shortcuts for everything. No keyboard shortcut for showing the activity stream or switching view modes just to give a couple of examples of obvious omissions that makes no sense. Evernote 5 for Mac does not appear to be designed to be user friendly.

So for a high profile app such as EN, how long does it usually take for Apple to approve it for the Mac App Store?  I haven't tried a direct download from EN's site, but often they have more bugs than the update/upgrade available for download from the App Store.  I don't know if it's because by the time it gets App Store approval the developers have more time to work out the bugs or if Apple requires it…  Probably something between the two…  But, I digress.  Does anyone have any experience with previous versions of EN and the functionality of direct download versus App Store download?

• Level 5

I found a problem related to note links (Ticket#736390):

Some time ago an external note link in the format "https://www.evernote.com/shard/<shard-id>/nl/<user-id>/" has been introduced for the Mac. This has been created via the "Note-Link Kopieren" menu (German version).

In order to create an internal note link one had to press the alt key before selecting the menu item which changed to "Klassische-Notiz-Link kopieren". This resulted in the internal link in the format "evernote:///view/<user-id>/<shard-id>/<note id>/<note id>/".

Both menu entries (with and without the alt key) still exist but both now create the internal link version starting with "evernote:///".

Do other users have the same problem or does this just happen for me?

• Level 5

In order to create an internal note link one had to press the alt key before selecting the menu item which changed to "Klassische-Notiz-Link kopieren". This resulted in the internal link in the format "evernote:///view/<user-id>/<shard-id>/<note id>/<note id>/".

Both menu entries (with and without the alt key) still exist but both now create the internal link version starting with "evernote:///".

Do other users have the same problem or does this just happen for me?

If you create a classic note link, it should always start with evernote://

If you create a regular note link, it should start with evernote:// when pasted into the Evernote client, and https:// when pasted outside the client.

Is this what you’re seeing?

Yes, do wait a minute. 

You're wrong. Evernote for Mac also fails miserably when it comes to keyboard shortcuts. There certainly are not keyboard shortcuts for everything. No keyboard shortcut for showing the activity stream or switching view modes just to give a couple of examples of obvious omissions that makes no sense. Evernote 5 for Mac does not appear to be designed to be user friendly.

Even if a menu entry doesn't have a shortcut defined you can almost always create your own as long as there is a menu entry that doesn't change.

Apple Menu | System Prefs | Keyboard | Shortcuts | App Shortcuts | Use + button to add

You are right about the notifications though, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign that.

And add my +1 for wanting a better/custom UI. 

post-186056-0-67170900-1412279309_thumb.

Reported this already during the beta and now again as it's still there in the final version.

Searching on different platforms shows different results. Ex. I search for a single word on my Android version and it shows 30 notes. Doing the same search on my ipad also results in 30 notes, so I'm pretty sure that's correct. BUT...searching on the Mac version only shows up 1 single note!

Bit more information: 29 of these notes are pdf-files in which this single word is found, only 1 note is a pure text-note. So seems that pdf-searching in the mac version is not correctly working.

• Level 5

If you create a classic note link, it should always start with evernote://

If you create a regular note link, it should start with evernote:// when pasted into the Evernote client, and https:// when pasted outside the client.

Is this what you’re seeing?

Sorry, that was my mistake and thank you for the clarification. I could not imagine that a copy and paste action can give a different results depending on the target application.

I tested it and it really works when pasting into another application. I informed the support to close my ticket.

Thanks again for your help.

Yes, do wait a minute. 

Even if a menu entry doesn't have a shortcut defined you can almost always create your own as long as there is a menu entry that doesn't change.

Apple Menu | System Prefs | Keyboard | Shortcuts | App Shortcuts | Use + button to add

You are right about the notifications though, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign that.

And add my +1 for wanting a better/custom UI. 

I am very well aware that OS X lets users customise keyboard shortcuts on a per app basis. The mysterious lack of keyboard shortcuts has been re-hashed numerous times and this solution is always mentioned. However, this is not user friendly and does not excuse Evernote's UI decisions.

Anyways, it is a little besides the point. My complaint is mostly concerned about the graphical UI where every button is locked down. With the recent announcement of more bloat to be added to Evernote (Work Chat, Context) I worry about many new buttons being forced down our throats.

• Level 5*

Does anyone have a link to the 5.6.1 beta? I cannot find a download link and Evernote is just crashing over and over in a loop.

I don't know of one.

@Jack:  Are you going to post a new thread announcing the 5.6.1 BETA?

Is image resizing working for anyone? I've tried a bunch of things but in all cases no drag handles - it seems as if the feature does not actually exist.  :(

James

Is it perhaps an OS X Version Issue?  I am running 10.7.5

It works for me on 10.9.5

as some of the other users in this thread I have lost my local notebooks during the upgrade to 5.6. part of (or the) reason might be though that I have upgraded the mac app store version with the web version - I guess this is what lack patience brings you (beats me why they are different though). nevertheless I need these local notebooks back. as the app store version stored the data in a different directory I assume the data is still there - but how do I get it back?

thanks & best,

lorenz

Is image resizing working for anyone? I've tried a bunch of things but in all cases no drag handles - it seems as if the feature does not actually exist.  :(

James

Is it perhaps an OS X Version Issue?  I am running 10.7.5

I had so many problems with 5.6 on 10.7 that I eventually went back to the prior version. I think that Evernote's QA department spent much more time on the newer versions. Make sense, I guess, given that fewer users have 10.7. Hopefully once things settle down a bit with the rewritten application, the issues affecting 10.7 users will get some attention. 

I find the new animations in the UX quite jarring. Anyway to disable that?

For example changing the notebook of a note, now takes at least a second longer. I get that it's a trend coming from mobile, but sure hope we can turn it off.

It was fast and snappy on 5.5. 

I just got the message that Evernote is migrating my notes. Got this a couple of weeks ago when I upgraded to 5.6.0 so strange that I should get it again. Perhaps the migration did not work well and that is why I am having Spotlight issues.

Did a new Spotlight search a few hours after the second migration, but it did not seem to change anything. 

I have therefore upgraded to 5.6.1 and I hope this helps. Will report back later.

I'm a premium user, and just in the last few days, my EN for Mac on all my computers (latest Beta) has stopped working, and when I reinstall, reboot, reinstall, beta, public, etc. I'm not able to, I get a "Version too old, please fix". Well, I'm trying to fix, but everything I'm downloading will not open.

PLEASE HELP.

• Level 5*

I'm a premium user, and just in the last few days, my EN for Mac on all my computers (latest Beta) has stopped working, and when I reinstall, reboot, reinstall, beta, public, etc. I'm not able to, I get a "Version too old, please fix". Well, I'm trying to fix, but everything I'm downloading will not open.

PLEASE HELP.

Mark, since you are a Premium account owner, you might try contacting EN Support via EN Chat, which opens at 9:00 am US PST.  This is probably the fastest way of getting support.

See Evernote Chat Support. (Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

PLEASE HELP.

Mark, since you are a Premium account owner, you might try contacting EN Support via EN Chat, which opens at 9:00 am US PST.  This is probably the fastest way of getting support.

See Evernote Chat Support. (Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

OK, so I submitted a ticket. However, just now, when I again tried to do another install, I got a notice of an update to 5.6.1, and now it actually installs, opens and is syncing. 

They must have just released a fix...

If you have local notebooks, please, please, please ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR NOTES REGULARLY. THEY ARE NOT BACKED UP BY EVERNOTE. 

I have been backing up exporting my local (offline) notebooks with Applescript, but 5.6.1 has broken it. A simple applescript like below wants to export all notes (yes, all, meaning every note across all notebooks), essentially rendering the backup process useless.

set matches to find notes "notebook:work"

export matches to workbackup

The other option, via Time Machine or other utilities, to backup all Notes is also broken. The key problem is when disaster strikes and I need to restore, how will I separate my local/offline notes from the online which will get resynced.

Evernote dev team really needs to give us a workable solution, that is documented and tested for every release.  And the solution has to include both backup and restore scenarios, a backup without a complete restore possibility is useless!

Archived