I've deleted a note accidentally--how do I get it back?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. All.

If you delete a note and empty the trash, you can still recover chunks of it by hexediting the database file of your local client. This is what I've done on a win8 client database file; to recover partially a note that was oddily chopped.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Hi. All.

If you delete a note and empty the trash, you can still recover chunks of it by hexediting the database file of your local client. This is what I've done on a win8 client database file; to recover partially a note that was oddily chopped.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

I'm not sure what "oddily chopped" is, but this does not appear to be related to the thread.  You seem to be addressing notes that were deleted (in the trash) & then the trash emptied.  I don't see that scenario posted in any of the above posts.

Dear god! I seem to have deleted a note, but only a very old version exists in Trash...please help me someone!!

If only a very old version exists in the trash, it would seem you modified it on a device that did not sync.  Perhaps you can find a more current version on the device you were using.  I would also suggest you use a desktop client (Mac/Windows) so you can keep regular backups.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

slight oddity (bug?) on scrolling down on the mac client under Notebooks tab: i couldn't see Trash until I resized the window and refreshed the tab by clicking twice.  initially, it just stopped at however many notebooks filled the vertical column on the left.

• 4 weeks later...

I dont understand this... It seems the note that is critical important to me "disappeared".  I use iPad evernote and Laptop evernote and desktop Evernote....

this note disappeared!!! I looked in trash and its not there....its not emptyied yet. and i dont understand where it went.    That note was already added to shortcut list.... I noticed the disappearnce when i saw it is not on the shortcut list anymore.

I looked in all my device and dont see anywhere at all!!!!!

This desktop started to sort of freezed or slowed down...so I decided to reboot  knowing that evernote is already safe in the cloud and all other device... after rebooted and I upen up the evernote and that note not there anymore.... this is the possibly the worst day of my life..thsi one note VERY VERY Important.

HELP  how do I recover it... is there 'file history' on evernote to recover previous version ?

I dont understand this... It seems the note that is critical important to me "disappeared".  I use iPad evernote and Laptop evernote and desktop Evernote....

this note disappeared!!! I looked in trash and its not there....its not emptyied yet. and i dont understand where it went.    That note was already added to shortcut list.... I noticed the disappearnce when i saw it is not on the shortcut list anymore.

This desktop started to sort of freezed or slowed down...so I decided to reboot  knowing that evernote is already safe in the cloud and all other device... after rebooted and I upen up the evernote and that note not there anymore.... this is the possibly the worst day of my life..thsi one note VERY VERY Important.

HELP  how do I recover it... is there 'file history' on evernote to recover previous version ?

If a note is deleted but the trash has not been emptied, the note can be restored from the trash. Once the note is restored, any note history is available as well. (Note history is a premium feature. If you are not premium & need/want access to note history, you can pay $5 for one month of premium & then be able to access the note history.)

If a note is not deleted but rather modified, note history may be the answer.  Note history is only taken once about every eight hours, so any recent changes may not be included.

Notes do not randomly disappear into thin air, so either the note was modified and/or deleted.  It is always (ALWAYS) recommended to have EN Mac or Windows desktop client running on a computer & regularly make backups of that database so you have another option to retrieve important notes. 

When you rebooted when EN was running, that may have corrupted your note.  Rebooting when an app is running can do this & not wise to do unles it's your absolute only option.  Once this change was synced to the EN servers & subsequently to your other devices, it may be the note is not able to be recovered unless you have a Mac or Windows EN client backup.

You could try submitting a support ticket.

Good luck.

I recently deleted a note that was part of a shared notebook created by a colleague. I just figured that if something goes wrong, I can always fish it out of the trash. It turns out that it never makes it to the trash. It just disappears! Now whenever I Sync, it tells me 'sync failed due to unexpected behavior at client side". All my notes do sync though, it's just that that particular note from the shared notebook doesn't ever come back, and I think that's why the error appears. Hopefully Evernote addresses this soon.

I recently deleted a note that was part of a shared notebook created by a colleague. I just figured that if something goes wrong, I can always fish it out of the trash. It turns out that it never makes it to the trash. It just disappears! Now whenever I Sync, it tells me 'sync failed due to unexpected behavior at client side". All my notes do sync though, it's just that that particular note from the shared notebook doesn't ever come back, and I think that's why the error appears. Hopefully Evernote addresses this soon.

This may be worth submitting a support ticket about, as either there may be some troubleshooting you can do to resolve the issue, or something Evernote can do on their backend to fix it for you, and it may indicate a broader bug. 

If you delete a Note from a Shared Notebook and the Notebook belongs to someone else, they will have the Note in their trash, not yours.

Basically, if they own the Notebook and you try to get rid of Notes, you cannot do so, they always have the originals in their Trash.

Regards

Chris

Hello everyone, I too stressed out this morning but then found the answer. In any of the clients (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android) go to the Notebooks tab and scroll to the bottom. You'll see the trash folder there and can pick anything out of it.

You saved my day.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I am using Evernote on my Mac (Mavericks), IPhone and iPad (iOS7), as a free user.  When I opened Evernote on my mac, it was showing me 2 conflicting versions of the same note, so I deleted one and emptied the trash folder on the Mac.  Next time I opened Evernote I couldn't find the other note either.  I put my Iphone and iPad on flight mode and opened Evernote, but its not there.  I went to the Evernote website and logged in, but can't find that note their either, even in the trash folder.  It has been 2 days since I deleted the note. 

Pls help - that note has data which I do not have access to.  Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Hi

I am using Evernote on my Mac (Mavericks), IPhone and iPad (iOS7), as a free user.  When I opened Evernote on my mac, it was showing me 2 conflicting versions of the same note, so I deleted one and emptied the trash folder on the Mac.  Next time I opened Evernote I couldn't find the other note either.  I put my Iphone and iPad on flight mode and opened Evernote, but its not there.  I went to the Evernote website and logged in, but can't find that note their either, even in the trash folder.  It has been 2 days since I deleted the note. 

Pls help - that note has data which I do not have access to.  Any help will be hugely appreciated.

On the the Windows desktop, conflicting notes are put into a local (non-sync'd) notebook. Macs may work similarly, but I don't know. If so, go,to your desktop, move the note to a sync'd notebook & sync. The note should now sync to the EN servers & subsequently to your other computers & devices.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by charboyd, August 5, 2014 - spam
Hidden by charboyd, August 5, 2014 - spam

Well, in such condition Mac data recovery software will really proves to be an effective and reliable tool for you. I am saying this on the basis of my experience, which I had faced when some of the important data gets accidentally deleted. For more query visit:

http://www.macfixz.com/retrieve-files-after-using-command-shift-delete-keys-get-corrupted-deleted-mac-data-recovered

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for your response.  The note is not there on my desktop.  Maybe that doesnt happen on a Mac.

Thank you.

Ajay - i have also been through a similar ordeal. I deleted one of the conflicting notes and both notes vanished. But I found them in trash. I am intrigued why did you delete the note from your trash?

• 1 month later...

I had an experience like this recently. I had trouble opening an encrypted note and somehow in the process of trying to sign in, I must have deleted the text with backspace. The encrypted note didn't appear in the trash, in any case. A day or so later I remembered my travel laptop also had Evernote installed so I opened it up and before signing in I turned off wi-fi. Then I signed in, opened Evernote, and my encrypted note was there. I copied it in Word, saved the info on a thumbdrive, and copied it back to my desktop.

Thanks a lot! Evernote should really consider making the Trash button more conspicuous.

Once you get really good at locating your conspicuous trash can a couple of times... you might then be asking for Evernote to make it a little more inconspicuous again  :P

• 2 months later...

If you accidentally deleted a note in Evernote on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad or iPod touch), and deleted it from Trash, or even just accidentally deleted part of the content of a note in iOS, *and* that note or content is old enough to have been in your last backup of your device in iTunes, then you can use a desktop/laptop computer application called iBackupBot to recover the lost data.  iBackupBot for iTunes on Windows or Mac costs US$34.95, but you can download and install the trial version for free (but it's so good, after I used it to recover my lost partial content today, I just purchased it).

iBackupBot allows you to access the latest iTunes backup of your iOS device and access individual files in that backup.  Once you've installed iBackupBot, open it and go to the Evernote documents (User App Files > Evernote > Library > Private Documents > www.evernote.com > (some number: mine is 49355362) > content).  You will see a list of all Note documents.  But the filenames are a long string of what looks like hexadecimal digits and therefore for all intents and purposes are encrypted to you (e.g. ed279ba8-29d1-4d0f-a038-e16f1b326939):  they are actually folders, because each Evernote document is a combination of the Note file plus all embedded images stored externally as individual JPG, etc. files.

So you will have to select the folders one at a time and use the Modified date on each file in there to help you find your file (that's the fastest way I could figure out at this point to find your document).  Double-click any image file to view it or any Note file to view it.  Note files are just text files containing HTML code--the language of the world wide web, which is how Evernote implements its documents I guess.  So you may have to scroll down any Note document you open in order to find any actual text to look at to see if it is your document.  If not, close it and go to the next folder.  It may be a long a tedious process, but it's worth it.

When you find your document, select all the content (e.g. Ctrl-A, i.e. select all the HTML code in that document, from the top to the bottom), copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-C), create a new text file in your favorite text editor on your computer, and paste (Ctrl-V) and save the contents of the clipboard into that new text file.  Then rename the text file, changing the extention from ".txt" to ".htm" (a web file).  Then just open it in a web browser (e.g. in Windows you can either double-click it or right click the file and choose to open it in Firefox).  Then select the text you want to recover, paste it into a new email message, and email it to yourself.

Back on your iOS device, copy that email's contents and paste it into the Evernote document you lost it in (if it was partial content you lost) or create a new note and paste it into that new document (if you had earlier accidentally deleted the entire document and deleted it from Trash).

Good luck,
Gary

• 4 weeks later...

TWO of my notes disappeared today. I know one of them went to the trash as I accidentally hit the trash. However contrary to the moderators "never" happen nonsense it was not in the trash. This has happened too many times to keep using this product. No to mention the frequent crashes. Oy.

TWO of my notes disappeared today. I know one of them went to the trash as I accidentally hit the trash. However contrary to the moderators "never" happen nonsense it was not in the trash. This has happened too many times to keep using this product. No to mention the frequent crashes. Oy.

FYI: Moderators are just regular users who get the "moderator" title because they have posted more than 300 times, so the title really has no bearing on the things they talk about (the people in the 300+ category are pretty split between being very enthusiastic about EN and very critical of EN). 

As others have pointed out, the experience of honestly losing data into the ether is pretty rare, especially the instances that occurred totally independent of user error. People's comments about the rarity of the occurrence aren't intended to be dismissive. 

It is a shame that it isn't working well for you. Indeed EN is not the solution for everyone. Sometimes it is because of a strangely error-fraught experience as is the case with you, sometimes it is because the features simply aren't what are needed by the user. There are a number of threads in this community that address some of these concerns and what workarounds or alternatives exist. They might help you find a good strategy for either relating evernote to specific tasks or finding another option entirely.  

• 2 weeks later...

How can you easily find the note that you deleted in the trash? This just happened to me where I deleted a note by mistake and control-z/command-z didn't undelete it. I remember how it was tagged because i had just tagged it and meant to put it in another folder when it was accidentally tossed in the trash. I have over a 1000 notes in the trash so it would be nice to be able to search it.

• Level 5*

How can you easily find the note that you deleted in the trash?

. . .

I have over a 1000 notes in the trash so it would be nice to be able to search it.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is NO direct way to search the EN Trash.

Here is a workaround, not very good, but maybe better than nothing:

1. Create a LOCAL Notebook, maybe named "Deleted_Notes", or whatever you prefer.
  2. Goto EN Trash
  3. Select all Notes, and COPY to "Deleted_Notes"
  4. Search "Deleted_Notes" for the Note of interest.

Good luck!

• Level 5*

I want to know the method to protect the NOTEBOOK & Documents so that no user can delete it. Is it possible in evernote please guide how?

There is no way to lock a Notebook or document (attachment) to prevent deletion by anyone with your EN login credentials.

Your best protection is to backup these Notebooks regularly, like at least once a day, by exporting them to ENEX.

You can do this manually, or using an online system like CrashPlan.

If you are referring to shared notebooks, then you can just make the permissions to be read/view-only, and the person you share it will cannot do deletions, or make any other changes.

• 1 month later...

If a note is deleted but the trash has not been emptied, the note can be restored from the trash. Once the note is restored, any note history is available as well. (Note history is a premium feature. If you are not premium & need/want access to note history, you can pay $5 for one month of premium & then be able to access the note history.)

If a note is not deleted but rather modified, note history may be the answer.  Note history is only taken once about every eight hours, so any recent changes may not be included.

Notes do not randomly disappear into thin air, so either the note was modified and/or deleted.  It is always (ALWAYS) recommended to have EN Mac or Windows desktop client running on a computer & regularly make backups of that database so you have another option to retrieve important notes. 

When you rebooted when EN was running, that may have corrupted your note.  Rebooting when an app is running can do this & not wise to do unles it's your absolute only option.  Once this change was synced to the EN servers & subsequently to your other devices, it may be the note is not able to be recovered unless you have a Mac or Windows EN client backup.

You could try submitting a support ticket.

Good luck.

ONE MEELYON-- NO, ONE TREEEELYON THANKS TO {{{{{{{{BurgersNFries }}}}}}}}FOR THIS!

Because I just deleted the stupidest thing I could possibly delete. Yes -- my list of passwords in my double-encrypted key-coded Evernote all-passwords file -- and I lost my hard copy somehow and kept meaning to make another, but I never, um -- OOPS! I didn't delete the whole note, just had the encrypted box of stuff accidentally highlighted and then backspaced an extra line and BAM! -- deleted it. *sigh* I tried to access the unscrewed version on other devices with the wifi off, but since I wasn't premium, I couldn't look at the notes offline. So I did what you said -- signed up for premium and it said I now have access to note histories. But it doesn't say how that works. I started googling but wasn't getting what I was looking for and I'm getting somewhat anxious because I'll need a couple of those passwords later today. I'll keep looking for instructions, but thought someone might be up and reading threads in a different time zone and might provide the answer faster than I can find it... Just playing it safe as possible!

Thanks!                           :wub:

And thanks again to BNF for the original info!

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE PLEASE Evernote, add an option to confirm deletions. On a Mac it's so easy to hit the backspace key and bingo you deleted a note, possibly without knowing it. Given that pretty much every note I make is important, I would not be irritated by the need to confirm deletion, and one could always turn the feature off.......

@Nick Harvey -- if you use Evernote a lot and every note is really that important, I'd say it's worth it to become a premium member. Just rescuing that one encrypted note by being able to view the history was worth five bucks to me for a month-- and Evernote is so great that I'm glad I finally gave them some money after using the service for free for years to sync my devices before Airdrop made it so simple to share docs instantly. Anyway, just a thought from one more satisfied customer. :)

Hello. I have been using Evernote for over 2 years now but have done so only on my iphone. Anyway, I accidentally deleted a very critical note. I didn't know what to do so for the first time, I opened up evernote on my laptop. I checked the "trash." NOTHING. I submitted a ticket to evernote and have not received an adequate response. It has been five days since this has happened. I upgrated to Premium in hopes of having more access to the note history but its as if it doesnt exist.  I DESPERATELY NEED HELP. 

My phone 6613435534

My email robertecortes26@icloud.com

• Level 5*
@Robert Cortes:

Unless you want to get a lot of spam and marketing calls, you should remove your phone# and email from your post.

You said that you checked the EN Trash on your laptop, but did you check Trash on your iPhone?

Since you are a Premium account owner, you can take advantage of EN Support Chat for a faster response.

See Evernote Chat Support., available business days 7am-7pm US CST. 

(Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Please HELP!! Oh where Oh where have my little notes gone?

I accidentally merged notes and the originals are not in the trash folder.

If you will please tell us what versions of Evernote and OS you are running, we might be able to offer more help.

You might try signing out and quitting Evernote on your device (to make sure it will not do any further syncs with Evernote Cloud) and view your Notes using the EN Web client at Evernote.com (must be on a PC or Mac).  

Check your Notes there, including the EN Trash.

Merging Notes does put the original Notes in the EN Trash, but does NOT permanently delete them.

To permanently delete the Notes in the trash requires user action (unless there is a bug).

I was using my mac desktop when the "merge" happened. I signed out, quit the app and then logged back in on Evernote.com as you advised.

The original notes are still missing.

I am running Evernote Version 6.0.11 & OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3 on my desktop.
  • Level 5*

@T.Paradis:

If you can't find your Notes in their Notebook or in EN Trash in either EN Mac or EN Web, then the only other suggestion I have is to restore the Notes from a backup (either Time Machine or ENEX files) that you have made.
  • 1 month later...

I am not certain why this is not posted at all. It took me forever and some support to recover the note and notebook. You cannot restore an item that is not there, however, if you login on line and look for the trash can on the left, you should be able to see the note you probably accidentally deleted like I did and got it back. Yiiiiipppie. I am thinking that maybe on the mac and app version you want to have the program ask if you want to deleted or trash something, which keeps you from hitting the wrong key and looking for it for an hour like I did. Anyway, all is well. 

thank you evernote

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I accidentally deleted all of my notes yesterday (I'm not even sure how). When I check my notebook trash today, per all of the advice I've read here and in the support documents, it is empty. I did not knowingly empty the trash. Is there any other way i can restore all of the notes?

• 7 months later...

Hey! Please help! I saved my snapshots and made sure that they are saved.. I logged out and logged in to confirm...but now when I again logged in I couldn't find my that file... Though others files are still there but the last one isn't there. Is there any way to get that note back?

On 4/10/2014 at 6:22 AM, bwaymark said:

Liairol:  if you login through your browser you will see a trash ... I can't see a trash on the client for OSX ....

Thanks, this is the answer, which instantly help me recover my important information I inadvertently deleted on my iPhone app.  Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hi wusunspurs,

First of all you should be able to find deleted Notes in the Trash. Just restore them.

However, if you have deleted part of a Note then yes, you can go to another device, log onto the internet and they should still be there. Copy them as a new Note. Then they should sync over to the device that is currently not logged onto the cloud.

Best regards

Chris

FIRST !  Set your preferences to manual sync to make sure it will not do any further syncs with Evernote Cloud !

Method 1: 
Try signing out and quitting Evernote on your device and view your Notes using the EN Web client at Evernote.com (must be on a PC or Mac). 
Check your Notes there, including the EN Trash.
  • Merging Notes does put the original Notes in the EN trash but does NOT permanently delete them.
  • To permanently delete the Notes in the trash requires user action (unless there is a bug).
Method 2 : Time Machine if you have a Mac
The key for restoring notes from a Time Machine or from another computer is to disconnect the computer from the internet. If you haven't open Evernote on your PC since you merge the notes, there is a chance you can restore them.
  • Disconnect your PC from the internet
  • Open Evernote on your PC
  • Locate the note and export them How to here
  • Once the notes are exported, connect your computer to the internet
  • Import the notes to your account
Best of luck! 

Archived