Andrew Wiles

mac QUESTION: Does Evernote slow down with more notes?

38 posts in this topic

I currently have between 11,000 and 12,000 notes. I used to have close to 20,000 but have been forced into archiving many of them as Evernote was slowing to a crawl. It's not so much the mac version, though that's been subject to it, but the IOS versions that suffer most, including frequent crashes. I've also taken to a multiple notebook approach and try to keep each notebook well under 1000 notes. I'm slowly building my notes back up again, but following the new multi-notebook rule for me (one for each year, as well as the general topic ones like recipes. I might have to start breaking those down as well.

I agree about an option on the instant search, I too would love to turn it off as I hate when it freezes.

1 person likes this

I currently have between 11,000 and 12,000 notes. I used to have close to 20,000 but have been forced into archiving many of them as Evernote was slowing to a crawl. It's not so much the mac version, though that's been subject to it, but the IOS versions that suffer most, including frequent crashes. I've also taken to a multiple notebook approach and try to keep each notebook well under 1000 notes. I'm slowly building my notes back up again, but following the new multi-notebook rule for me (one for each year, as well as the general topic ones like recipes. I might have to start breaking those down as well.

I agree about an option on the instant search, I too would love to turn it off as I hate when it freezes.

Oh. That sounds bad. Do you think it was the number of notes causing the problems in iOS? I sure hope not, because I am well on my way there :(

That seems to be the key factor. I've had much better luck since dividing my notebook into smaller ones. The other factor is I had several VERY long notes which I've moved back out. It seems to be happier with shorter notes rather than ones that are several pages.

I've got just over 50,000 notes (used applescript to import lots of back emails, paid $20 for the extra EN bandwidth to do it). I use EN on Mac/PC/iOS/Android and web. Lately EN has become virtually unusable on the mobile devices. The Mac client has become very bogged down, seeing the spinning beach ball often. Was excited to have one place to have everything, especially since I'd be able to access it from any of my devices. Now I'm loosing faith, doesn't seem like EN scales so well. I'll try breaking some of my large notebooks down into smaller ones, but accessing even small notebooks on mobile has been an effort in futility due to freezing up. Currently moving 2000 notes from a 26000 note notebook to a new one is taking a second per note on the Mac client (unacceptably slow).

Funny, with the motto "Remember Everything" I didn't expect this. Perhaps changing it to "Remember 100,000 things" would be more appropriate.

1 person likes this

Now i have 30.000 Notes or more. The same : Evernote unsuable on mobile device...

Last time i made  a fresh install on my MacBook Pro i7 2.6Ghz/3.2 16Go ram (late 2012) and 50Mbit Fiber Internet connection, it take 3 days 24/24 to synchronize !

Each time it synchronize it take 10s to 30s or more... And often it freeze the client.

Lots of slowness in the client : when fusion of 2 notes, when moving notes to another notebook.

Lots of freezing, making evernote unsuable, have to wait 20s to use it again.

Multitasking ? 8 cores on the i7 and always have to wait.

So Evernote is good when you don't use it.... 

1 person likes this

Yes, there are many upset and angry Evernote customers.

Even the biggest and most powerful users are voicing their frustrations.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66103-power-user-discontent-best-alternatives-to-en/

As users accumulate more notes, the scalablity difficulties get worse and worse.

Even the Support Department is having difficulty keeping their head above water as they struggle to address all the problems the program is causing.

And the response from Evernote? Just crickets. It looks like they are all hamstrung until the long rumored corporate takeover happens.

2 people like this

And the response from Evernote? Just crickets.

Hey folks, cricket here:

I'm glad to see this discussion in the Mac forum. Our power users are everything to us. We (the Evernote team) are all power users too. I have 5 digits worth of notes and was growing frustrated too. We are working on it.

We just released Evernote for Mac 5.6. This could easily be called the biggest power-user release we've ever done. Our sync was completely rewritten from the ground up. We reduced the opportunity for crashes significantly (and if you do crash, our new crash reporting system ensures that we tackle the most frequent crashes before every release). Our note editor is brand new to handle old features better (like bulleted lists), new features (image resizing, table resizing), and features we can't even talk about yet! Search was rewritten to sort by relevance so that users with large numbers of notes get better results (not just more of them). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is: we're working on it. Making an awesome place to store your life's work is our life's work. Keep the discussion going. We love the feedback.

3 people like this

That's excellent news. Please keep up the good work! However, encrypted notebooks and selective sync can't come soon enough for me. Yes, I'm sure I have mentioned that once or twice before :)

Thank you, Cricket, er, Jackolicious! I wish there was more company interaction here on the forum.

3 people like this

I have 18,000 notes.  I actually have more, but the Windows Desktop product has not consistently been updating the database.  I hope they're being saved on the web version.

The program has not worked properly in about two years.  The program hangs up indefinitely  and is for all practical purposes unusable. I have not renewed my Premium subscription.

EDIT:  

On the fifth try, I'm seeing recent notes, but who needs this?

On the fifth try, I'm seeing recent notes, but who needs this?

Not you, I guess, but that's why it's an option that can be turned on or off in Evernote's preferences! 

Some people do like that feature. 

While Jackolicious offered a reply of a coming fix for this for Mac users, what about Windows Desktop users who are experiencing the same thing?

I have, for quite some time (months, at least), in mulitple versions. Yet I have only about 1500 notes taking up about 140mb. When I do a search (even if only within a notebook of 500 notes), it often freezes after typing two characters, for about 5 seconds (about 50% of the time, enough for me to have come searching for help and found this thread and read it to the end here.)

I see others here also reporting the issue on Windows. Surely only a few hundred notes and a couple hundred meg should not be the cause of slowness. (I'm on rev 5.8.1+.)

Is this an acknowledged issue on Windows as well? And is there any solution, planned or that we can implement? I'm open to doing anything like a index rebuild or optimization. I won't try uninstalling/reinstalling, though. I had in fact done that just a couple months ago, to no avail. (Well, I was suffering the longstanding problem of the old 4.6 release that would not uninstall, as was widely reported by many. I finally got it off and upgraded to 5, and a couple of updates to that since then.)

1 person likes this