• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
Andrew R

Safari Mac Safari Webclipper - nothing happens

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I thought the previous version of clipper was fun enough (constantly being asked to sign in, suggestions to "why not clip this PDF" on every single PDF opened) but it's now not working at all.

When I click the evernote button a new tabs opens and ends up at URL www.evernote.com/ClipperSuccess.action?canClose=true&login=true    This quickly closes leaving me back on the page I wanted to clip but nothing else happens.

I've already tried reinstalling the extension (now on 6.11), restarting browser, clearing all evernote cookies/local storage.

Screen_Shot_2017-03-08_at_12_06_49.jpg

Update: This was resolved as follows: 

• Uninstall the Evernote Web Clipper in Safari by navigating to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Evernote Web Clipper and choose Uninstall
  • From the menubar, choose Safari > Clear History and choose All History > **Clear History
  • On your keyboard, press ⌘ command + ⌥ option + esc simultaneously, then select Safari and choose Force Quit
  • Restart your Mac
  • Open Safari and install the Evernote Web Clipper from www.evernote.com/webclipper
  • If prompted to choose between installing the extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery or directly from the developer choose Install from Developer.
  • Navigate to Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Updates to ensure you have the latest version of the extension installed
Edited by Andrew R
Updated with resolution

Also logged as ticket# 2039271.

1 person likes this

Followed solution steps as described above. Clicking on the web clipper still does nothing. Not sure what happened within the past few weeks but it used to work flawlessly. Now, nothing!

Manually cleaning EN local cache files stored in ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage/ did the trick for me, check this post with entire workaround:

1 person likes this

Ah I'd tried that beforehand and it hadn't helped so perhaps in some cases it's a combination of both the above AND clearing LocalStorage that's needed to get things working again.

Yup, it looks like we're back to the same catastrophe. Why the folks at Evernote can't fix this is beyond me.

Folks have done a lot of good work to come up with ways to fix this. The problem is, and Evernote is not acknowledging it, these solutions require USERS to uninstall potentially many things, clear out low-level (relatively speaking) files, then execute various restarts and reinstalls until finally - hopefully - the Evernote Web Clipper works. (And those results seem a little mixed as to success.) Casual users who just expect products to work likely will not do this, or worse, end up breaking something they can't fix. While I am a fairly experienced user, this is too much of a pain when I can just use the One Note clipper to do the same thing for the relatively few items (in the big scheme of things) that I actually clip. Sure, it means I have to use a separate app to view them. But that is less intrusive (for me) than trying to fix something that is not designed well. A better approach, if Evernote would think of users first, would be to provide an update that replaces the (obviously) defective version of the Web Clipper and as part of the installation process clears out the files no longer needed by the extension. There is just something wrong with a solution that requires me to uninstall extensions from companies A-E in order to reinstall a malfunctioning version of an extension from company F.

1 person likes this

Does not work for me. Tried the first method. Clean the LocalStorage too. What a shame ! The only solution now for me is to open the website on my iPhone and use the iOS Evernote extension...