Splitting a note into multiple notes

I understand there is a merge note command, but I am in need of the opposite. I have a bunch of papers to scan (and am using Scandrop directly into Evernote), and need to separate the scanned documents into separate notes. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with your software. But since you say you're talking about docs that have yet to be scanned, I would say to scan the pages that you want to be in one doc & then stop. I have a scanner with an auto document feeder (ADF). But I only load the pages that are part of single document & therefore a single note. IMO, this is nice because I give the document a meaningful name. Then I copy it to an import/watched folder & it then gets auto loaded into Evernote with a meaningful title (the file name). All I have to do is then tag & move to the appropriate notebook.

• Level 5*

I'm always championing ScanSnap stuff, but assume that other software may have something similar - Fujitsu's ScanSnap Manager has an option to scan multiple pages to one PDF file, or to allocate one file per page. If you have some such option you may be able to split up these scans. Failing that, Adobe at least has an option within one PDF file to extract one or more pages into a separate file. If you can't scan 25 pages into 25 PDFs, you may be able to scan to one PDF and split that into 25 sub-files. Either way you don't want to send these files directly to Evernote - it's easier and less demanding on your upload allowance to mess around with the files on a desktop somewhere and only save the final format. Or just save the whole thing as one file (unless it's too big to OCR or add to a note) and let the indexing sort itself out.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

still no easy way to split an Evernote into multiple notes/pages?  -_-

I find it is easier to use Evernote by creating small individual notes.

If I have a huge PDF manual or e-book, I will put that into my DropBox or OneDrive.

As you can see from this 2011 post, splitting is not a big topic with the users on this forum.

• 5 months later...

I agree. I need this functionality. It must be possible. When. I double click on one of several images in a note, EN selects just that one image. So it knows that this notes image is a collection. But I cant cut/paste that single image! And I have some very large compound images that would be painful to do one at a time, even if it were possible.

Is there an applescript solution, maybe?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Seems to me there are a couple of things being talked about here - one is splitting a pdf within a note, and the other is splitting a text note?

To split a pdf, you need Acrobat (I don't use it, so I don't know if Reader will allow splitting of pages), which can extract pages. I use Nitro PDF Pro, which I think has the same functionality. Might be difficult to do that within Evernote ...

The splitting a text note should be relatively easy - select the text you want to move to a new note, cut (or copy) and then have an Edit/Paste as new note option in the menus. I can see how that would be useful, and shouldn't be too difficult for the Evernote devs to do.

Actually, there is a third option: splitting multiple images. Thats the problem i have. This happens if you are creating a note ising the camera, or if you combine notes with images. You can select individual images, but you cant cut them.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On November 17, 2011 at 6:44 PM, gazumped said:

I'm always championing ScanSnap stuff, but assume that other software may have something similar - Fujitsu's ScanSnap Manager has an option to scan multiple pages to one PDF file, or to allocate one file per page. If you have some such option you may be able to split up these scans. Failing that, Adobe at least has an option within one PDF file to extract one or more pages into a separate file. If you can't scan 25 pages into 25 PDFs, you may be able to scan to one PDF and split that into 25 sub-files. Either way you don't want to send these files directly to Evernote - it's easier and less demanding on your upload allowance to mess around with the files on a desktop somewhere and only save the final format. Or just save the whole thing as one file (unless it's too big to OCR or add to a note) and let the indexing sort itself out.

I just started using ScanSnap Manager (Fujitsu ix500) and I cannot find the option to scan multiple pages and allocate one PDF file per page.

Where can I find this option?

Many thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Bearing in mind that post is 5 years old now,  your software may be a little different to mine.  My SSM windows are here - click Options on the first window to open up the second one...

ScanSnap_Manager 680.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Here is a quick workaround to split a long text note into several. 

1. Select the text you want to split out to a new note (remember, you can use Ctrl+Shift+End to select all text from the current cursor position to the end of the note / helpful when splitting out the note in order) 

2. Press Ctrl+C or Ctrl+X (depending on whether you want to keep a copy of the text in the current note or delete it)

3. Press Ctrl+Alt+V  (this will create a new note in Evernote with your selected text) 

Note that if you filter your original note by Tags (in the search bar or by pressing Alt+Shift+T), your new notes will inherit those tags (so you don't have to re-tag all those new notes again). 

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, David Aranowitz said:

I would like to take my wife's box of index card recipes and mass scan them, then name each card with the recipe name.  Is this possible.  I am using a ScanSnap S1300i.  Thank you

It is possible, you will need to title each of them manually.  

1. Set up an import folder/notebook in EN, preferably with delete after import set. 
  2. Set a profile in your ScanSnap to a scan into individual files per page and save to a folder other than the import folder. Also turn OCR on. 
  3. Scan as many cards ar a time as works.
  4. Drag the files from the scanned folder to your import folder. 
  5. The notes will appear in your scan notebook
  6. Rename and tag them if you like
  7. Move them to the notebook of choice
  8. Repeat 3 to 7 as long as it takes. 

The reason for the two folders is that when using the separate option, EN will sometimes try to import the file while it is being created.by ScanSnap causing errors.  At least it did in the past. I haven’t checked since I put the process above in place.  I use it for receipts and interestingly enough, used it to scan my wife’s recipes into her account.  :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

Set a profile in your ScanSnap to a scan into individual files per page 

I think that's the important point, regardless of the scanner type (individual files per scanned page)
If all your scans are stored in a single file; you end up with a single note
Then you're back to the subject of this discussion "Splitting a note into multiple notes"

18 hours ago, David Aranowitz said:

then name each card with the recipe name

I see this as a manual process, after the scan and import
If you turned on OCR, this will just be a copy/paste operation

• 3 months later...

I still see it as an important feature request: the ability to divide a large (text) note into several smaller notes. I have several archives of material I would love to be able to divide in a computer assisted way, rather than manually (using the block, ctrl-c, ctrl-altv provided above). Ideally this would involve being able to tell Evernote to

1. Seek a string assigned as a break point

2. Select all text up to the next instance of the break point string.

3. Create a new note with the first line after the first break point as its title.

4. Repeat until complete.

This would be a great feature for transferring material from my old askSam files!

• Level 5*
On 11/04/2018 at 7:18 PM, Brother Tobias said:

I still see it as an important feature request: the ability to divide a large (text) note into several smaller notes. I have several archives of material I would love to be able to divide in a computer assisted way, rather than manually (using the block, ctrl-c, ctrl-altv provided above). Ideally this would involve being able to tell Evernote to

1. Seek a string assigned as a break point

2. Select all text up to the next instance of the break point string.

3. Create a new note with the first line after the first break point as its title.

4. Repeat until complete.

This would be a great feature for transferring material from my old askSam files!

Hi.  That's totally outside the scope of a general-purpose notation app like Evernote.  You would be able to do (most of) that with a script or an external application,  but not Evernote.

I've archived a lot of data into Evernote,  and some I've saved into separate notes where it was convenient to do so.  Some items I've left for more "agile" curation - they're saved as one (very long) note,  which I normally hate - but I know I'll find the content within that note if I ever need it again;  and when/ if I do,  I'll probably copy it from there into its own note. 

That will be a highlight / cut / paste into a new note job.  It's not worthwhile to spend the time now getting all those notes into some sort of neat and tidy order - there's too much to handle in any reasonable time frame.  So I'll process it over maybe 2-3 years if and when I need it.  If I don't need it within that time,  it's probably no longer relevant anyway!

13 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  That's totally outside the scope of a general-purpose notation app like Evernote.  You would be able to do (most of) that with a script or an external application,  but not Evernote.

I've archived a lot of data into Evernote,  and some I've saved into separate notes where it was convenient to do so.  Some items I've left for more "agile" curation - they're saved as one (very long) note,  which I normally hate - but I know I'll find the content within that note if I ever need it again;  and when/ if I do,  I'll probably copy it from there into its own note. 

That will be a highlight / cut / paste into a new note job.  It's not worthwhile to spend the time now getting all those notes into some sort of neat and tidy order - there's too much to handle in any reasonable time frame.  So I'll process it over maybe 2-3 years if and when I need it.  If I don't need it within that time,  it's probably no longer relevant anyway!

Yes, I realize Evernote can't do it. That's why this is a feature request. It seems obvious to me that if you have a feature that merges notes, it would be useful to have a feature to split them.

I have been using external scripting for this; but it is less than convenient. I have multi megabits of data that I would like to convert to Evernote.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You could post a feature request in the forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-general-feature-requests/

This topic is a scanner settings issue from a user.

Yes; I believe a feature request has been posted regarding this with the topic "unmerge." 

The op is about scanners, but the question is about splitting notes. That's why I commented.

I use Evernote on Win 10 and Android.

• 2 years later...

I also need an unmerge/split function. I scan my receipts using ScanSnap (Fujitsu) with OCR PDF into Evernote. After it is scanned, I change the title on it and add some tags.   I was doing a whole bunch and I made a mistake.... I would like the ability to split/extract this particular page into another note (or a separate note is fine too) all within EN (instead of using  another program like adobe or preview (on Mac)). I’m using a Mac. I know this is an old thread... has this capability been added at all? I couldn’t find it.... I’ve searched high and low on google and on the forums. The ability to scan a whole bunch of receipts into one PDF and being able to separate the pages into separate notes would be so valuable to me. 

• Level 5

EN is not a pdf editor. You can annotate a pdf, but not change the original content.

In you case on a Mac it is quite simple: Open the pdf from inside EN with Mac‘s Preview. To do this, right click on the top of the pdf (where it has the File Name and 3 icons) and choose „Open with“, then select Preview. In preview with the pdf Open choose the last position in the side tabs (see picture). In my example 3 pictures are selected (can be a range, can be any selection). Then right mouse click, from the popup menu choose „Export as ...“, pdf and give it a File Name. Then create a new note and move the new pdf there.

19741B01-BD08-48E8-B128-6E6DBD2ADEC3.thumb.png.b497e2fd30b11b6553fab4f10b3d2d9f.png

To delete the pages from the original pdf, stay in the view with the little pages and select them. Go to the edit menu and choose „Delete“. The pages will be deleted from the pdf. Now (important) go to the File menu and choose „Close window“. This will close the pdf in preview AND save the changes made to EN. As a last step to save the change inside of EN, close the note in EN. This will write the modified pdf to your EN data base, and sync it to the server.

As you see, the very useful Preview program that is installed on your Mac will do the job.

13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

EN is not a pdf editor. You can annotate a pdf, but not change the original content.

In you case on a Mac it is quite simple: Open the pdf from inside EN with Mac‘s Preview. To do this, right click on the top of the pdf (where it has the File Name and 3 icons) and choose „Open with“, then select Preview. In preview with the pdf Open choose the last position in the side tabs (see picture). In my example 3 pictures are selected (can be a range, can be any selection). Then right mouse click, from the popup menu choose „Export as ...“, pdf and give it a File Name. Then create a new note and move the new pdf there.

19741B01-BD08-48E8-B128-6E6DBD2ADEC3.thumb.png.b497e2fd30b11b6553fab4f10b3d2d9f.png

To delete the pages from the original pdf, stay in the view with the little pages and select them. Go to the edit menu and choose „Delete“. The pages will be deleted from the pdf. Now (important) go to the File menu and choose „Close window“. This will close the pdf in preview AND save the changes made to EN. As a last step to save the change inside of EN, close the note in EN. This will write the modified pdf to your EN data base, and sync it to the server.

As you see, the very useful Preview program that is installed on your Mac will do the job.

Thanks for the detailed info. I feel like if it has the capability to merge notes it would have the capability to split/unmerge how ever the user pleases. I can select just that page and rotate it within EN, it also has the option to delete the selected page(s). So it can isolate the relevant sheet(s) already.  I was hoping I could just drag and drop that particular sheet to wherever and make a new note but it wasn’t that easy. 🤣  Anyways I thought maybe I was missing something or doing something wrong. But it looks like this capability isn’t available yet. 

• Level 5

Well, it has some capabilities, but it is no full PDF editor (and does not promise to be). There are enough tools that will do.

When working on the note itself, the code is created by EN, so full editing is in place. This is different with attachments. Usually EN "houses" the attachment, but the original program or one compatible with the attachments format is used for editing. With pdf it goes a little further by offering the annotation feature.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, nyks019 said:

I feel like if it has the capability to merge notes it would have the capability to split/unmerge how ever the user pleases.

There seems to some confusion about Evernote's merge function and pdf attachments
Notes are merged, however the pdfs remain as separate attachments; they are not merged

To merge/split pdf pages has no connection to Evernote's merge function