MORE MISSING ATTACHMENTS (brought to you with love by Bending Spoons)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

No.

2 notes destroyed by the iOS in-app scanning function. No solution, spinning circle, note size indicates the notes do not hold more than the header text.

If I force a sync by pulling down the notes list, the app crashes. When I sync from the settings menu option, the sync never stops. All this after an uninstall, a forced restart of the phone and a reinstall.

Nonsensical answer from support.

The scanning itself had worked, because the pictures taken were saved into the camera roll on the iPhone. But the notes are corrupted when converting the fotos into a note.

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

No.

2 notes destroyed by the iOS in-app scanning function. No solution, spinning circle, note size indicates the notes do not hold more than the header text.

Nonsensical answer from support.

The scanning itself had worked, because the pictures taken were saved into the camera roll on the iPhone. But the notes are corrupted when converting the fotos into a note.

Did you reach out to Gigi?

• Level 5

No, and in fact I won't.

We don't need special treatment here in the forum.

These guys need to stop releasing crappy updates, and be proud of their ability to fix them fast. We are paying customers, not their guinea pigs for bug hunting.

A little QA before rushing releases could do wonders, but somehow they believe they will do better without. There is NO update that you can trust to fix things without breaking others.

A support that would look into issues instead of shelling out "First update the app", and then believe they did something useful would be nice as well.

I always write the release status of app and OS into the fields provided for it. If they would read the tickets they receive, they would know when "update everything first" is an offense, and not an assistance. They just hide behind a wall of demands I have to provide for THEM, to justify their inactivity or plain stupid answers.

This is a pattern, and it is a dark one.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

The images in my known corrupted note are still represented by spinning circles. In fact, having just checked it again, I see that some additional images may also have disappeared. I added a section and labeled it soon after discovering the glitch, where I hunted down and re-copied the images so I would know what was missing. Those images are also now just a bunch of spinning circles. At worst, there's a possibility the problems with missing attachments have grown. At best, the known issue has not been fixed.

I have not sought individual help, as this is clearly not an issue that affects a) only me, or b) only this note. Your contact said they would pursue a solution for all users and that's what I'm waiting for. Tracking down a specific individual within EN for help every time I come across a corrupted note is not sustainable, so for now this one note serves as something of a litmus test of the presence and effectiveness of a system-wide fix.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
39 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

So has everyone gotten their notes back?

Gianluigi was very friendly and helpful but no, one important attachment was lost. There were several affected notes (apart from those I had already deleted prior to Gianluigi's help) but only one was really important and that one is gone.Ā 

• Sad 1
31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is NO update that you can trust to fix things without breaking others.

That is exactly the problem. You can't keep track of all your stuff all the time and verify it is not broken somewhere deep down inside the notebooks. My trust in V10 is completely gone and I don't add anything important to it.Ā 

I still use the web clipper out of habit but since I find the new web clipping format a big step back from Legacy I will probably be looking for an alternative clipper as well.

Any (Mac / Safari) suggestions are welcome.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

No, and in fact I won't.

These guys need to stop releasing crappy updates, and be proud of their ability to fix them fast. We are paying customers, not their guinea pigs for bug hunting.

A little QA before rushing releases could do wonders, but somehow they believe they will do better without. There is NO update that you can trust to fix things without breaking others.

A support that would look into issues instead of shelling out "First update the app", and then believe they did something useful would be nice as well.

I always write the release status of app and OS into the fields provided for it. If they would read the tickets they receive, they would know when "update everything first" is an offense, and not an assistance. They just hide behind a wall of demands I have to provide for THEM, to justify their inactivity or plain stupid answers.

Are you considering jumping ship?

6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No, and in fact I won't.

Wow, you are finally finding out the reality here.Ā  I decided to shut up for a month and just try v10 positively.Ā  It just constantly had me muttering under my breath... They should just tie a rope around the neck of this beast and sink it beside the Titanic.Ā  I'm starting to think it's just not even fixable...Ā  Ā on the subject of Missing Attachments... Many times i know an attachment is there, then I'll be in a place to use it, and i get the Missing Attachment, then i wait for two minutes, kill Evernote, and usually it's back... But sooo very maddening... And i dread every new release... It's like Trauma over and over... Nice people, HORRIBLE PRODUCT!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think they are now implementing RENT, maybe this transition will cause some instability? I stumbled across a flag to enable it, which is disabled by default (at least in my case).

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, eric99 said:

? I stumbled across a flag to enable it, which is disabled by default (at least in my case).

Don't change flags. RENT is big change with new local database so when you get it you'll see a pop up telling you to make sure of internet connection and then the app will reload and download everything into a fresh database. It's a big change.Ā 

Changing flags may cause issues.Ā 

5 hours ago, FredJ said:

I'm starting to think it's just not even fixable...Ā 

That's exactly my take on V10 and specifically RTS or how it's called. I suspect in real life there are timing issues that corrupt attachments during sync and this is hard to catch when you are on a 1 or 10 Gb development network.

Ā 

1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

Don't change flags. RENT is big change with new local database so when you get it you'll see a pop up telling you to make sure of internet connection and then the app will reload and download everything into a fresh database. It's a big change.Ā 

Changing flags may cause issues.Ā 

sure, I wouldnĀ“t dare...are you a betatester?

21 minutes ago, eric99 said:

are you a betatester?

Not got it yet but the EN experts had a call about it last week. Its been a big job lol.Ā  They'll be doing a blog about it soon explaining all the tech bits.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

Not got it yet but the EN experts had a call about it last week. Its been a big job lol.Ā  They'll be doing a blog about it soon explaining all the tech bits.

hopefully it's a more conventional database, not just some caching of web documents or something

Ā 

10 minutes ago, eric99 said:

hopefully it's a more conventional database, not just some caching of web documents or something

Ā 

Not sure on the exact technicals but they say its a mother-load quicker, more reliable and lets them turn off more of the giant Java monolith programme which was written in 1800 and something!

I will ask about the technicals at some point as I'm quite interested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 6/15/2024 at 7:09 PM, Jon/t said:

Not sure on the exact technicals but they say its a mother-load quicker, more reliable and lets them turn off more of the giant Java monolith programme which was written in 1800 and something!

I will ask about the technicals at some point as I'm quite interested.

hopefully it will finally solve the poorĀ  performance of bulk processing of notes

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, eric99 said:

hopefully it will finally solve the performance of bulk handling of notes

AND help Android mobile (what I spend 90% of time on, out and about)!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, eric99 said:

hopefully it will finally solve the performance of bulk handling of notes

The easiest solution currently for speed is to cut the network connection before executing bulk operations. This speeds them up massively.

Changes will sync when the network connection is established again, in the background.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Changes will sync when the network connection is established again, in the background.

I agree, but this somehow defies the whole purpose and alleged benefit of RTS, doesn't it?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Feitz said:

I agree, but this somehow defies the whole purpose and alleged benefit of RTS, doesn't it?

Er,Ā  no.Ā  If you're about to make some major changes to notebooks or notes,Ā  it seems helpful to get all the changes done while offline and allow the system to catch up later.Ā  RTS is great for small changes and instant syncing.

42 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Er,Ā  no.Ā  If you're about to make some major changes to notebooks or notes,Ā  it seems helpful to get all the changes done while offline and allow the system to catch up later.Ā  RTS is great for small changes and instant syncing.

I can't think of any networked, databased application that has to be taken offline while modifying contents of the database. To my knowledge it has never been communicated by BS that their fancy new RTS sync is incapable of actually RTSyncing larger changes and that it has to be taken offline for this purpose.

Since it already chews up single attachments when they are added to V10, the bar for having to take it offline seems rather low.

On 6/15/2024 at 12:36 AM, Feitz said:

There were several affected notes (apart from those I had already deleted prior to Gianluigi's help) but only one was really important and that one is gone.Ā 

I didn't bother Gianluigi with trying to restore any unimportant notes, so I deleted these as well. In total I think there were around 15 corrupted notes that I deleted, some before Gianluigi's intervention and some after I got his list of corrupt notes.

As far as I remember all of them were created more recently using V10.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Er,Ā  no.Ā  If you're about to make some major changes to notebooks or notes,Ā  it seems helpful to get all the changes done while offline and allow the system to catch up later

That would explain the 100 notes selection limit that was implemented in V10 and which is a major constraint e.g. when you Ā are working with tags. Trying to mitigate the shortcomings of RTS while not being transparent about them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

This is a known subject since long. It was possible for a while to push the limit up to close below 1.000. But it only made sense to use it on so many notes when first going offline. Else you would have needed an extra large coffee to bridge the wait.

• Level 5*

Similar issue existed in legacy days. Massive tag changes or moves took forever to sync. But if you firewalled EN and made changes and then reconnected the changes synced quickly.

Seemed like EN was getting in its own way real time but not so much ā€œbatchā€. Ā No idea what is up in the new world.Ā 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CalS said:

Similar issue existed in legacy days. Massive tag changes or moves took forever to sync.

Before I ditched my last Legacy client in March I exported all notebooks to ENEX files and before each export tagged all notes with an 'exported' tag. Largest notebook was 8000 notes that I tagged in one go (select all -> tag) and it took a couple of minutes to sync - definitely not forever. During sync Legacy became fairly unresponsive, but that was to be expected.Ā 

But I didn't have to take it offline even with 22000 notes tagged in short order...

• Level 5*

Don't see what we're discussing here.Ā  Legacy no longer exists,Ā  and v10 is the only Evernote option.Ā  It MAY speed things up for you when processing lots of changes if you take it offline,Ā  because whatever infinitesimal processing time is involved with sending every. single. action. to the server,Ā  is held over until you go back online.Ā  -And you can walk away at that stage while things update themselves.

Evernote haven't published any comment,Ā  because this was a user suggestion;Ā  and it's not obligatory - if you find it doesn't work for you that's fine.

Ā 

• Level 5*

Point was EN was slow synching massive changes in the day and appears to be the same in the new day. There was a workaround in the day,

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Legacy no longer exists,Ā  and v10 is the only Evernote option

You mentioned this once or twice in the past and I am aware of it.Ā 

But it can't hurt bringing up issues with V10 and compare how Legacy didn't have these, like chewing up Ā attachments and the ridiculous 100-note-selection-limit that is absolutely unique to V10 and is a major pain if you use tags a lot as you are supposed to do.

Then maybe someday some of the better functionality of Legacy will find its way into V10.
If we stop comparing nobody will care what was lost and what could be learnt from past versions.

• Like 1