It finally happened - The old version of Evernote (6.25...) stopped syncing and won't let me log back in

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, sl1200mk2 said:

It's still available, directly from Evernote's CDN. 

No,  apparently it's not.  That link doesn't work for me on Win 11.  Even if it did,  the chances of the app syncing with Evernote's servers at all,  or for longer than a few hours seem pretty bad.  So why don't we accept that this old,  unsupported tech has finally reached the scrap heap and stop posting pointless links?

Like horse-drawn transport,  Legacy had it's day,  and was even preferable to modern vehicles  in some ways (especially if you like roses);  but taking a horse out on a modern freeway is not a good idea...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

No,  apparently it's not.  That link doesn't work for me on Win 11.  Even if it did,  the chances of the app syncing with Evernote's servers at all,  or for longer than a few hours seem pretty bad.  So why don't we accept that this old,  unsupported tech has finally reached the scrap heap and stop posting pointless links?

Zero problem downloading on Windows 11 using HTTP or HTTPS. 😕

image.png.96d0b2f1a50f11409510543befff3c05.png

image.png.778c31d20d11c5528288169d2dc79d1b.png

Instead of pointing someone to File Hippo where they're getting who knows what, it's still available from Evernote. If someone needs it for whatever reason (which is none of my business or concern), there it is. 😀

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, sl1200mk2 said:

Zero problem downloading on Windows 11 using HTTP or HTTPS

My browser refuses to touch the http:// link,  but adding the "s" makes the difference.  I reported it to the Forum admins for them to decide. 

- And if anyone is still using Legacy as their daily driver I have some radium cough mixture you can have... 

• Level 5
6 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Oh, if you put a warning sign and some taillamps on it, it can still take you ahead. Unfortunately, outdated software is not fixed by adding a few bells and whistles:

image.thumb.png.9505f04edaeb9a021de0e64b670fa138.png

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Perhaps if I could summon up as charitable a feeling for the Legacy devotees as I have for the Amish people among whom I grew up, I wouldn't get so annoyed around here. (Some Amish nowadays use solar panels to power appliances, but still no Evernote for them.)

• Like 3

I'm not saying to take anything away from you v10ers who like it, but client/server's not that hard.  I don't know how it all works, but client/server/local database/sync changes shouldn't be that complicated.  I don't even need updates.  Is an updated Evernote desktop client any less susceptible to compromise?  Have there been any documented cases of compromise through a Legacy client? or has it all been weak credentials, social engineering, or lack of multifactor?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/19/2024 at 12:52 PM, drokxytext said:

I'm not saying to take anything away from you v10ers who like it, but client/server's not that hard.  I don't know how it all works, but client/server/local database/sync changes shouldn't be that complicated.  I don't even need updates.  Is an updated Evernote desktop client any less susceptible to compromise?  Have there been any documented cases of compromise through a Legacy client? or has it all been weak credentials, social engineering, or lack of multifactor?

If you're talking about Legacy syncs,  it may be more that the server has been switched off...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Legacy is unsupported software. It has access to the server, either by using the API or by other means. It doesn’t really matter,

Legacy users were warned that the software is phased out. Now it happens, there should be no surprise about that fact,

I think the discussion about „oh, please keep it up, I take it as it is“ is beside the point. Currently they need to run 2 data structures side by side on the server: One for all modern clients, using RTE, and another for the classical syncing.

As long as legacy clients are allowed, EN needs to maintain this duplication of data and the permanent conversion when a user switches between clients. Furthermore every time they change something on the modern side, they need to see that the conversion is still working

It is obvious this creates permanent cost and drag on dev resources. No, we are currently reading the last chapter from the book of the legacy clients. And the cowboy is already mounting his horse, to be riding into the sunset.

• Like 2

I've been using the legacy version 6.25.3.9348 (309348) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) on Windows 10 Home for over a year and so far it's been running without problems. Some notices appeared a few months ago saying that it was an old version and advising you to install the new one, but they disappeared.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

but they disappeared.

Your app will probably follow soon.  It's really a good idea to get used to v10 while you can,  because that will be the only option at some point.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Today these ***** added a big ugly red notification that Evernote legacy will be suspended on March 20.

Miserable money driven company with miserable decisions and lack of self dignity. 

This is a perfect example how stupid people make this world a bit worse.

I hope the ones who are in charge of this decision never born.

Please don't pay for this "new version" ***** and do not support them. Notion is completely free and is light years ahead of evernote.

I will miss Legacy version, it was one of the best apps I ever used...

RIP Evernote.

Screenshot 5729.jpg

• Like 2
20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There are users we see go with a warm farewell.

And there are users like you, @ustik86 . Good to see you go.

Today is Feb 25th and it stopped syncing at all. 

This is a crappy product.

That's why you see users not to go with a "warm farewell", but to run away.

It shouldn't be this way at all.

But you'll never understand it and will never accept it.

Excuses are for weak, leave it for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Excuses for what ?

There Is a new generation client available for everyone, free of charge, ready to download. It gives access to all notes and provides all necessary functions.

That‘s in fact everything that’s needed. It’s your own decision to make use of it. 

• Like 1

I'm with @ustik86. It's a pity Evernote has become so crappy. Time to explore Notion, Obsidian, etc.

Evernote WILL NOT last too much. Promise.

• Like 1

Evernote legacy is still syncing for me.  

I am working on transitioning my notes to Joplin.  https://joplinapp.org/help/

Joplin seems to work similarly to Evernote legacy and it is very fast, and it allows to change the "last modified" field of notes.  Joplin is very very fast compared to Evernote V10.  When exporting notes from Evernote, you can export each notebook and can easily import into Joplin in either HTML or Markdown format and the notes in Joplin are very usable.  As far as a replacement for Evernote Legacy I would say Joplin is a top choice.  

I agree that V10 is very very slow and that is a major problem for me personally and for some others on the forum.  Good luck!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Just downloaded. Oh, and it is slow. No it is not - you run the app in web client mode until downloading content has finished. This means that every bit of information first must be passed on from the server to your computer, just to be processed locally into what you want. Not hard to understand.

This bottleneck you created yourself.

• Like 1
On 6/28/2023 at 11:13 AM, jbrady0986 said:

Loooong time user, I have 50,000 + notes.  In last few weeks, I cannot move notes at times, cannot open notes at times, and have to continually shut and reopen.  Latest problem is moving notes, watching them leave one notebook and go to another then coming back later to find they are back in the original spot.   I have 60+ GB of hard drive remaining and cannot understand what is going on.   I cannot trust EN at this point

On 1/12/2024 at 1:31 AM, pritish said:

Its pathetic they stopped older versions like Evernote 6.25 from syncing. Disgusting user experience from new evernote app. it was so easy to move around within old evernotes app.

I think I'm considering leaving EN family for good.

• Like 1

again the legacy version is down. 

I was forced to update and the first thing that I noticed was that the new version is noticeably more lagging. 

Besides, with v10.77.3 the users are allowed to highlight or edit the contents after they copy the contents from a website. (you can add extra notes but not edit the copied ones). 

It depends on your purpose, for some users the new Evernote can be troublesome and a decrease in work efficiency. 

Well, I am still subscribed user, but it is HARD for me to recommend Evernote to anyone now, because I have seen how the software deteriorates from good, to not so good, and then slowly to a point that I have to make do with it. 

I used to recommend people sign up for it during the company's employee trainings, but not any more. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, yetiman said:

I was forced to update and the first thing that I noticed was that the new version is noticeably more lagging. 

This can happen for a day or two just after an update - Evernote builds a new data structure in your local storage and somewhere in the background - downloads your account.  Meantime it's answering any 'live' requests to see Legacy notes,  and translating them from one code base to another on the fly.  Depending on your internet connection,  account size and hardware it can get a bit busy in there.  It settles down in time...  If it doesn't,  check how much free storage you have,  and do some local housekeeping.  You will have an EXB file somewhere which will be redundant after 24 March but you could move to external storage as an archive... 

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, p1154 said:

What happens to the EXB file after 24 March?  Thank you

-The Windows Legacy app is required to open an EXB file and I presume that when server access ends at the end of March it will not be possible to open it to sign in. 

I recall using a SQLite app at one stage to browse through EXB,  so some deep diving may be possible - if absolutely necessary - but the file is not 'usable' as such.  Your Evernote v10 data is stored elsewhere.

• Level 5

@ben353253 What is so funny ? It is a native app, using a native, proprietary data format. You are hyping it, not us.

All notes that are synced to the server are stored there, and can be accessed through a fine set of modern clients.

There is no problem to access and use this data (except for users too stubborn or malicious to do the obvious).

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, LAVEISSIERE said:

Impossible to upgarde the version and to synchronise . PLEASE HELP

Hi.  Device / OS / details of your issue - where did you install the app from / were you able to log in correctly / what happened?

• Level 5
9 hours ago, yetiman said:

again the legacy version is down. 

Besides, with v10.77.3 the users are allowed to highlight or edit the contents after they copy the contents from a website. (you can add extra notes but not edit the copied ones). 

It depends on your purpose, for some users the new Evernote can be troublesome and a decrease in work efficiency. 

Well, I am still subscribed user, but it is HARD for me to recommend Evernote to anyone now, because I have seen how the software deteriorates from good, to not so good, and then slowly to a point that I have to make do with it. 

I used to recommend people sign up for it during the company's employee trainings, but not any more. 

A couple of people who are new to v. 10 have posted like this, wanting to be able to pass definitive judgement on it after just a couple days of use. Yes, it's slower at first, because:

1. It's downloading your complete database in the background (and of course the speed of that depends on your Internet connection, the capabilities of your computer, and the demands on Evernote's servers, which is probably pretty high right now).
  2. Notes that exist in the old, Legacy data structure have to be converted to the new one when they're first opened, which can take a couple of seconds. After that, they're faster to open (and faster to edit on multiple devices).
  3. The Electron framework v. 10 is wrapped in costs some extra time to run, but provides a comparable interface and functionality on different platforms. Native apps will always be (a) faster and (b) incompatible with each other across platforms at some point.

All of which is to say, give it a chance. Let it set itself up, convert notes, etc. I'm a little puzzled by this:

Can you say some more about this? If you're talking about notes created with Web clipper (or some notes that are emailed in), yes, their content is in an HTML container signaled by a gray box around it. Click on  the top bar of it and there's a "magic wand" to convert it to editable text (but lose some of the original formatting). Not everyone likes this process; it's possible to both edit the content and keep the original for comparison by clipping twice and merging the notes, then converting one of the HTML boxes to editable text.

• Like 2

I guess this is now the end of Evernote Legacy. Got yet an other annoying message saying that March 20 is over. At least this EN made it clear with a clear timeline. I wonder if they will dare do this... Unfortunately the latest 10.X does not work for me and this after girding all my devices and cleaning everything away locally. I am not speaking about the fancy new features but just about, you know, getting a note from device A to device B. And having it offline when it says that it is local. Noting magic for EN legacy. Obviously something really difficult for EN of today. I even found "work around" suggesting I should logout and login again, or reinstall, or reboot my device, ... what else?

Will see if after all it will get to work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is a less than clear description of a syncing issue.

You could start with telling which version is installed on which device, under which OS.

The standard with v10 is that if you have the same note open on 2 devices, you can see your edits appear on the second while you type in the first, with maybe a few seconds of lag in between. New notes still need to sync, and how they do is slightly different when created on desktop to mobile to web.

A better description could help to sort things out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Dear PinkElephant:

Thanks and sorry for not being clear. My point was: will Evernote dare pull the plug on a Legacy system that does still a fantastic job of note taking. Granted it has less buzz and whistle and might have a few security leaks but it did work for ages with very little loss, never catastrophic on a daily basis with note taking and much more.

About the sync issue I reported some examples of the sync troubles I experienced in a thread that existed. I also contacted EN support but after a week no feedback.

The bets are open: will they really pull the plug on the Legacy version? 

24 minutes ago, jpservices said:

They will. I would almost bet my life on it. It doesn't make any sense on any level to keep it, in this stage. Even though I consider v10 not finished enough for many usecases of people. And 70% fit for my usecases (thus missing legacy features/speed), it doesn't make sense. For focus and progression they must santize the product portfolio and then refocus the resources to cathcing up and surpassing competitors even if it costs then 30% of paying customers (which it will not I believe).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

They will. I would almost bet my life on it. It doesn't make any sense on any level to keep it, in this stage. Even though I consider v10 not finished enough for many usecases of people. And 70% fit for my usecases (thus missing legacy features/speed), it doesn't make sense. For focus and progression they must santize the product portfolio and then refocus the resources to cathcing up and surpassing competitors even if it costs then 30% of paying customers (which it will not I believe).

They are not madmen...  they paid big money to buy Evernote and they can probably do the math to see if it's worth it to shut Legacy down...

And they have clearly said that they will shut it down... so they have already calculated it economically a long time ago.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

The signs have been there way in advance: All legacy versions except the last ones have already been cut from syncing in the last months. There were warning messages showing on the remaining ones.

The moment it was announced the last information was added: The date. I am sure the „kill switch“ for the API is already installed and tested.

I assume the clients will still be working after it, technically.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, jpservices said:

Dear PinkElephant:

Thanks and sorry for not being clear. My point was: will Evernote dare pull the plug on a Legacy system that does still a fantastic job of note taking. Granted it has less buzz and whistle and might have a few security leaks but it did work for ages with very little loss, never catastrophic on a daily basis with note taking and much more.

About the sync issue I reported some examples of the sync troubles I experienced in a thread that existed. I also contacted EN support but after a week no feedback.

Others have responded accurately to your basic question. Evernote's reasoning for pulling the plug is stated clearly in this blog post: https://evernote.com/blog/legacy-decommissioning.

"A few security leaks" are not going to be acceptable for most users, I think. I can promise you that if Legacy caused a security problem, users would rush into the forums howling at Evernote for putting out this buggy, unsafe product.

If you could give a little more detail about data loss and sync troubles (such as the link to your previous thread post) it might help the conversation. I also use v. 10 on a daily basis, and I'm just not seeing that sort of issue.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My status FYI.

My old version Evernote_6.25.1.9091 stopped syncing days ago, and it still cannot recover for days . And i tried to "sign-out", and it cannot be "sign-in" again. Fx**, I still have notes for days that were not synced to the server and these notes were totally losed.

I tried the Evernote-latest, it can connec to server but it was a horrible app, not getting better even for years...

Tried the Evernote legacy link below , and I can confirm that the server cannot to be connected with this "Evernote Legacy" version either. so "Evernote Legacy" is dead

https://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe

image.png.4b7fa3b6ed475293f4acb05a10577ffc.png

• Level 5*
On 3/30/2024 at 11:53 AM, sfjdjd said:

"Evernote Legacy" is dead

True.  After three years of increasingly urgent warnings,  Evernote removed the old server settings.  Your synced notes however are still on the server,  and if your old app still works locally,  you should be able to export any unsynced notes to ENEX files and import them into the account via v10.  (There are a couple of threads in the forums here where the Legacy app is still working without a server connection.)

• Level 5

@sfjdjd This was announced, and it was expected long before.

About unsynced notes: You can only try to export the unsynced notes to an ENEX file (no idea if this still works, maybe try it in offline mode). Then install v10 form the EN website, log in and let it sync your notes from the server.

Then try to import the ENEX file with the missing notes.

• Level 5
On 3/30/2024 at 7:53 AM, sfjdjd said:

I tried the Evernote-latest, it can connec to server but it was a horrible app, not getting better even for years...

I hope the previous suggestions will help you get your unsynced notes from Legacy into your account. I would only add that while v. 10 looks much as it did when it was first introduced in 2020, it has actually gotten a great deal better in what it can do and how it does it, and if you haven't tried to work with it since you may find it more capable than you fear.

On 4/2/2024 at 6:58 AM, PinkElephant said:

@sfjdjd This was announced, and it was expected long before.

About unsynced notes: You can only try to export the unsynced notes to an ENEX file (no idea if this still works, maybe try it in offline mode). Then install v10 form the EN website, log in and let it sync your notes from the server.

Then try to import the ENEX file with the missing notes.

I cannot login into the legacy evernote any more, so those unsynced notes are not accessable for me now.

To be honest, i'd rather using an offline version of Evernote Legacy, but sadly, it is impossible now bcz I cannot even login into it 

On 4/2/2024 at 6:52 AM, gazumped said:

There are a couple of threads in the forums here where the Legacy app is still working without a server connection.

Is this still true if I have signed-out?  Thanks.

• Evernote Expert

Once you are signed out of Evernote Legacy, that is the end. There is no way back in since you need to sign into your account and that is no longer possible with Legacy.

So there is no option left for you. Sorry!

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

So there is no option left for you. Sorry!

V10 works. Not maybe as they want, but it does give access to login, to notes, to exports, etc.. 😁

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
17 minutes ago, MvdH said:

V10 works. Not maybe as they want, but it does give access to login, to notes, to exports, etc.. 😁

I agree that v10 works. But, sadly, not to recover the unsynced notes that were @sfjdjd's concern 🤕

• Level 5*

If there's an EXB file lying around somewhere it might be interesting to use a SQLite database reader on the content - it's a total Hail Mary but presumably unsynced notes are entries there that have not been sent to the server?  (It's also possible that unsynced notes are kept in some kind of temporary storage and don't get into the database until they're synced...  I don't know whether anyone would know at this stage...)

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

If there's an EXB file lying around somewhere it might be interesting to use a SQLite database reader on the content - it's a total Hail Mary but presumably unsynced notes are entries there that have not been sent to the server?  (It's also possible that unsynced notes are kept in some kind of temporary storage and don't get into the database until they're synced...  I don't know whether anyone would know at this stage...)

Thanks, I do see a exb file in my disk as "C:\Users\<Username>\Evernote\Databases\user_name. exb", will dig more for howto extract data from it.

16 hours ago, gazumped said:

I find this script which might be able to read exb files directly without login requirement, however, it was developed "8 years ago"

https://github.com/shawndaniel/evernote-exporter

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I did a quick search for "sqlite viewer" and found 2M hits - like https://sqlitebrowser.org/ which may or may not be useful.  Note that only Evernote Windows legacy installations will have EXB files (Macs use a different system) and if you do decide to view your file always work on a copy of the original because the act of viewing the content may change the file structure so it won't work with Evernote. - Not that that's necessarily a problem in this context,  but as a general "do no harm" thing.

Different software may react in different ways,  and I don't have time to experiment at present - but it should be possible to get some content back from EXB files that have been 'orphaned' by the loss of server contact.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 10:20 PM, JLU said:

I'm with @ustik86. It's a pity Evernote has become so crappy. Time to explore Notion, Obsidian, etc.

Evernote WILL NOT last too much. Promise.

I also agree with them. there goes my 12 years of using evernote. so regretful. but maybe since I'm a free user, my opinion or even 'existence' as evernote user won't probably matter for them. it's really so regretful. but as the saying goes, nothing last forever and that includes evernote as well. time to move on and find other alternative.