Notes given a new "last updated" date-time when they weren't

This is an initial enquiry so sorry for lack of details.

I have lately noticed notes listed as having been recently updated when they haven't.
This has happened sporadically a few times but I initially put it down to "I must have clicked somewhere by mistake ..." but it has happened a few too many  times on notes that I really haven't done anything to in quite a while.

Currently running Windows client 10.67.3.

I tried restoring a previous version of one and off hand cannot see any changes.

Asking if anyone has experienced something similat?

Possible theory ?????

Maybe it happens to old notes that appear (but are not edited) as a result of a search. Could it be due to the need to change to the newer format???

In any case it is very disturbing because I rely a lot  on being able to sort my notes by last-updated.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can't say I've noticed,  but we're mainly user2user here - if you can find some examples of notes that change the date and submit your activity log for that period to Support they may be able to look into it,  but I would have thought this is going to be a low-priority issue,  so reckon on 10-15 days for any reaction...

1 hour ago, yakir said:

I have lately noticed notes listed as having been recently updated when they haven't.

This "feature" whereby simply viewing a note causes a change in the updated date, has also been noted on Mac

Yes, @Jakir, frequently noticed here too. I currently keep it at something that bothers me prio zero but doesn't bother me to the extent that I lose confidence with it. Maybe something underlying to do with moving data at server level? Sometimes I find it, then it was a task I made changes to (defer notification for example) but not always. Sometimes also notes without a task and as you write where nothing has happened with it for a long time.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.  (Windows 11.)

Just viewing notes - without even opening them is changing the date updated. (and consequently the sort order), which is incredibly frustrating.    

• Level 5*

Maybe start entering the date with each actual change to a note? (Alt+Shift+D) - then at least you have an accurate timeline for the future...

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Maybe start entering the date with each actual change to a note? (Alt+Shift+D) - then at least you have an accurate timeline for the future...

But that won't affect sorting; and the issue is specifically with notes that have not been changed.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But that won't affect sorting; and the issue is specifically with notes that have not been changed.

Notes that haven't been changed will not contain a date;  so <clientname> -2024 (forinstance) might be a start.  I know things 'should' work,  but if they don't and a bit of lateral thinking can come up with a workaround...  

<clientname> 2024 will find all the notes actually changed in january (or at least from now on) and either version of the search can be added to tags or note details to narrow down results.  just suggesting...

On 12/4/2023 at 8:44 AM, yakir said:

This is an initial enquiry so sorry for lack of details.

This has happened sporadically a few times but I initially put it down to "I must have clicked somewhere by mistake ..." but it has happened a few too many  times on notes that I really haven't done anything to in quite a while.

Currently running Windows client 10.67.3.

I tried restoring a previous version of one and off hand cannot see any changes.

Asking if anyone has experienced something similat?

I faced a similar situation this morning.

Before that, I faced a problem where I realized that on a given note, I lost 2 days of changes. This is a kind of "Journal log" note where I put daily information into it and at some point, the note was back in the state it was on last Sunday (i.e. 2 days ago).  Even the note history is back at its state of Sunday.

It was while investigating this situation that I faced a similar issue as you.  I needed to have all the notes ordered by the last change date to see what notes changed since last Sunday.  I clicked on some of those notes, and they instantly received a new change date, making them appear at the top of my list.  I faced the same behavior on notes that were updated several days ago.

That being said, I am now working on a different computer.  Although the note that lost 2 days of work is in the same state on that computer, the other notes that received a new update date just by clicking on them haven`t received the updated information on that second environment.  So I have faced a similar situation as you, but what I have observed didn`t make it to the web, it was only occurring locally. 

• Level 5

@Lemayp, you probably need to create a support ticket. Slow and overwhelmed as they are these days, they're the ones most likely to be able to deal with the data loss from that one note. I've seen a couple of other reports of note changes, including note history, getting lost like that, and going to support for help was really the only option.

4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@Lemayp, you probably need to create a support ticket. Slow and overwhelmed as they are these days, they're the ones most likely to be able to deal with the data loss from that one note. I've seen a couple of other reports of note changes, including note history, getting lost like that, and going to support for help was really the only option.

I agree and I did that immediately after observing the missing note content situation.  Waiting for them to contact me on that, I haven`t touched the impacted note, just did a copy of it and I only use the copy for the time beign.

• Like 1

WAIT....

I was just forced to upgrade to the new version of 10.71 or whatever... from 6.22. Noticed the issue where it changed the updated date by simply viewing a note.... AND I FREAKED OUT COMPLETELY lol like the rest of you I'm guessing. 

HOWEVER... for me.... on the same day as the upgrade and this issue (today,) it ONLY did that for the first note... and later on NOW I can't replicate the problem. It seems all ok. If I view the notes... they don't get updated. If I click in the note... and then go back out... it doesn't update the note. 

NOT SURE what happened or what... but are any of you now experiencing the same thing? Where it no longer updates the note simply by viewing it? 

🤞

Prophat

UPDATE: I did find that if I perform a SEARCH for something and I click on the note, it shows up as updated. I'd be curious to know how long this has been going on for. If it's over 6 months.... I might have to go elsewhere. This is horrible... 😭😭😭😭😭

Edited by Prophat
Added NEW info... NOT GOOD
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*

This one seems to come and go and has been for a while.  Sometimes I've noticed it and sometimes not.  If it comes back, don't be shocked.  I sort by date updated so will be VERY happy when this is fixed for good.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

This one seems to come and go and has been for a while.  Sometimes I've noticed it and sometimes not.  If it comes back, don't be shocked.  I sort by date updated so will be VERY happy when this is fixed for good.

Do you know how long this has been going on for? Roughly...

• Level 5*
Just now, Prophat said:

Do you know how long this has been going on for?

Not sure exactly but I think it came in when they introduced the new real time editing (RTE) sync technology mid last year.  RTE has been an improvement but there have been some lingering problems such as this.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Not sure exactly but I think it came in when they introduced the new real time editing (RTE) sync technology mid last year.  RTE has been an improvement but there have been some lingering problems such as this.

Worst. news. of. the. year. I trusted my gut with not upgrading since 6.22... until I was forced to today. This hurts my heart. 😭 Might have to go elsewhere.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

In fairness to BS they moved all of the development to Italy this past year and then have been tearing into the code to improve the backend and the apps.  It has been a bit bumpy and they are not done yet, so you may need to be a little "flexible" in your expectations.  The app is usable so I'm still here, but I'm watching this space, and hope they get this sorted sooner rather than later.

Just now, s2sailor said:

In fairness to BS they moved all of the development to Italy this past year and then have been tearing into the code to improve the backend and the apps.  It has been a bit bumpy and they are not done yet, so you may need to be a little "flexible" in your expectations.  The app is usable so I'm still here, but I'm watching this space, and hope they get this sorted sooner rather than later.

@s2sailor Sadly, we've been down this road before with many saas companies. If something as simple as the issue we're talking about here (viewing a note from search updates the note) hasn't been fixed in months...   there's usually a MUCH bigger problem going on that they're unwilling to share. UGGH... this sucks. And I've read the info from the link you provided- thanks. Not good. I'm going to guess they haven't communicated much else to everyone either about the current issues they're trying to resolve- in specifics. 

Question for you...  how are you working around it? Just curious.... since to me this is a deal-breaker and such a devastating issue that would completely mess up and cripple my process. 

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Prophat said:

Question for you...  how are you working around it?

I'm more dealing with it than working around it.  When searching for a specific note I may see older notes, that I know I haven't edited pop up in the list.  I'll just scroll past them to find what I want or I'll add extra key words to the search.  It is inconvenient, but not crippling.

12 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I'm more dealing with it than working around it.  When searching for a specific note I may see older notes, that I know I haven't edited pop up in the list.  I'll just scroll past them to find what I want or I'll add extra key words to the search.  It is inconvenient, but not crippling.

Do you know by chance how many notes you work with daily? For reference, we work with about 100 per day...  viewing, updating, creating, etc. I'm almost thinking of contacting their leadership team to see if things are going to change soon.

• Level 5*

Less than that.  I’d suggest that you work with it for a bit first.  It may not be as bad as you think and the only other choice you have is to move to another app where you will likely run into a different set of challenges.

10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Less than that.  I’d suggest that you work with it for a bit first.  It may not be as bad as you think and the only other choice you have is to move to another app where you will likely run into a different set of challenges.

It took all but 10 seconds for us to see it become a compounding problem. Not your typical users here. We've reached out to the leadership team. 🤞

This bug is "doing my head in" 

Today I was searching for notes of a meeting I had last summer, but wasn't sure when. It was mid June but at the time I thought it could have been any time from May to September. I searched on a keyword and started browsing the list. Every note I clicked on suddenly got a new updated date of today and promptly disappeared from view screen, as there were several hundred in the list they would have shot to the top but I'd scrolled halfway down. Very disruptive and disconcerting.  Now of course if I'm doing a similar search in the future, I can't just search through the rough date range of last updated, because a bunch are now incorrectly showing as Last edited on 16 Jan 2024 and will be near the top of the list. 

This does not happen on a list view for notes within a notebook or stack, but it does happen for search results.

I read the link posted above:

The first time a note is opened with the new RTE note system, it needs to pass through a conversion process and takes a couple of seconds to load. After this first time, notes should open and sync instantly.

So it would seem this on-demand process of conversion is tripping the updated field. But that does not explain why it doesn't happen when viewing notes within a notebook.

My concern is this is going to keep happening and every note that pre-dates this Real Time Editing change (about 5k in my case) is at some point going to have its metadata screwed up. Bye bye history.

Of course now since v6 I can't manually fix those notes as in their infinite wisdom Evernote have removed the ability to do so. 

This really strengthens my resolve to jump ship. I already did so, to Joplin, cancelling my sub earlier this year, to beat the price rises. I only came back because Joplin doesn't allow multiple note windows to be open and doesn't have a choice of view in the note list (only showing title), and as I kept getting 40% off offers on the free tier nag screens.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

So it would seem this on-demand process of conversion is tripping the updated field.

That is only my reading of the tea leaves.  There is likely more behind this.  I would recommend entering a support request.  The more they get reminded of this problem the greater the chance we have of getting it fixed.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I'm almost sure that's incorrect. I believe the false updating was happening before that. The one sure way of find out would be for someone to search these forums for relevant terms (e.g., "view" and "update") and see when the first screams were posted. Have fun, someone.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Have fun, someone.

It won't be me 🙂.  It is very possible that it happened earlier but I didn't notice it.  I had several problems with the introduction of RTE so I was focused on anything amiss and noticed it then.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, s2sailor said:

That is only my reading of the tea leaves.  There is likely more behind this.  I would recommend entering a support request.  The more they get reminded of this problem the greater the chance we have of getting it fixed.

Logged a ticket for what good it's likely to do...

• Level 5
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually when I tried, I couldn't reproduce the "update view" behavior any more on 10.71.2 (Mac) and 10.65 (iOS) already.

It's always been intermittent and unpredictable for me. But I downloaded 10.72.2, so we'll see.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Actually when I tried, I couldn't reproduce the "update view" behavior any more on 10.71.2 (Mac) and 10.65 (iOS) already.

Just tried it on my Macbook Air, 10.71.2 version and was able to reproduce it. It does seem either intermittent or depends on a permutation of conditions. It updated the edited date on a note from 21 Apr 2022 but not on one from 5 Apr 2022.  This was in a search list, it doesn't seem to have the issue on a regular list of notebook or stack contents.

23 hours ago, 4d4m said:

Logged a ticket for what good it's likely to do...

For anyone else with this issue, my ticket number is 3814369. It might be worth quoting this as another instance of the same issue.

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Seems to be fixed in Windows too...

Nope not fixed on 10.71.2 which Check for Updates reports as the latest version.

• Evernote Expert
39 minutes ago, 4d4m said:

Nope not fixed on 10.71.2 which Check for Updates reports as the latest version.

Please note everyone is talking about 10.72.2 where the fix has been released.

52 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Please note everyone is talking about 10.72.2 where the fix has been released.

OK great. How/when do I get it?

#image.png.1582d610ad5b79b5e7d5ca02f869c93c.png

• Level 5

It’s as always a staged rollout - not every user gets it at the same time.

Usually the manual download delivers the latest release. No need to uninstall first - just install it over the existing one.

• Like 3