Rolling out Desktop 10.63

• Administrator

Apologies for the delay, I tested positive with Covid on Monday—my first time after 3 years, I was starting to believe I was invincible :)

On Monday we started the rollout of Evernote Desktop 10.63. While I was off the team also released a couple of quick patches, the latest version is 10.63.3. This is why we love phased rollouts: we can fix issues quickly while very few people actually experience them.

Fixes:

• Fixes an issue where the screen would switch to home when filtering notes including sub-tags.
  • Fixes an issue with "Permissions lost" when creating a notebook while filtering or when restoring a note from Note History in the filter results and clicking on the "default notebook" link in the toast message.
  • Fixes an issue where the 'Filters' and 'Go to' sections were not appearing within search suggestions.
  • Fixes an issue where internal app links didn't direct user to the target note (Windows).

Improvements:

• Improvements and fixes to AI-powered search.

As usual, it's a gradual rollout but you can get it early at evernote.com/download (in that page you'll see that there's a new page that automatically shows release notes!)

Please, use this thread to report issues you specifically experience on 10.63.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Apologies for the delay, I tested positive with Covid on Monday—my first time after 3 years, I was starting to believe I was invincible :)

On Monday we started the rollout of Evernote Desktop 10.63. While I was off the team also released a couple of quick patches, the latest version is 10.63.3. This is why we love phased rollouts: we can fix issues quickly while very few people actually experience them.

Fixes:

• Fixes an issue where the screen would switch to home when filtering notes including sub-tags.
  • Fixes an issue with "Permissions lost" when creating a notebook while filtering or when restoring a note from Note History in the filter results and clicking on the "default notebook" link in the toast message.
  • Fixes an issue where the 'Filters' and 'Go to' sections were not appearing within search suggestions.
  • Fixes an issue where internal app links didn't direct user to the target note (Windows).

Improvements:

• Improvements and fixes to AI-powered search.

As usual, it's a gradual rollout but you can get it early at evernote.com/download (in that page you'll see that there's a new page that automatically shows release notes!)

It also fixes the slowness of note display reported for 10.63.1:

2 hours ago, janndk said:

10.63.3 ---> "Unable to connect to Evernote. Please check your network connection and try again." 😒

(Managed to log in eventually 😌)

Subtag bug: fixed 👍
Numbered list pdf bug: still NOT fixed 👎

Since the introduction of the AI search, that I haven't yet tried, the search providing a subset of the results based on title content only (i.e. before we hit enter/search) is no longer working. This kind of search represented over 80% of my used case and was fast and precise for my needs. Now I need to scan a long list of results before finding the note I need, a negative user experience for me. I hope the former functionality will be provided once again soon.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Lemayp said:

Since the introduction of the AI search, that I haven't yet tried, the search providing a subset of the results based on title content only (i.e. before we hit enter/search) is no longer working.

I think you are talking about not seeing the part that Federico mentions above: "Fixes an issue where the 'Filters' and 'Go to' sections were not appearing within search suggestions."

I'm seeing it back for me now on 10.63.3 and showing notes, notebooks, stacks, and tags:

image.png.3220cd5c648e865d65ed6042aab481c5.png

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I think you are talking about not seeing the part that Federico mentions above: "Fixes an issue where the 'Filters' and 'Go to' sections were not appearing within search suggestions."

I'm seeing it back for me now on 10.63.3 and showing notes, notebooks, stacks, and tags:

image.png.3220cd5c648e865d65ed6042aab481c5.png

Oh you are right.  I saw a notification that a 10.63.3 update took place during the day but it turned out that it was only my web connection that received it, and for this reason my main Evernote environment, on windows, was still experiencing the situation.

I forced the upgrade by downloading the most recent version and the "Go To" section is back now on both Windows/Web. Very happy that it didn't disappear for too long.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my message.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grant837 said:

I seem to have a small bug: 

- When typing in the search bar for Tasks, the cursor loses focus and my typing is no longer entered.  I do not know where the focus is going

I noticed that yesterday too for the first time! Don't know if it was introduced in 10.63 or if it was there before.

So now I type super fast before it can steal the focus!

• Level 5*

I notice that I have to reconnect my Import Folders every time Evernote updates - and in 10.63.3 (I didn't notice of this applied previously) the message about the ability to delete files after they have been imported "coming shortly" has disappeared.  We used to be able to delete files after they were imported to save space and avoid inadvertent duplications (I once had a small batch imported three times).  I would really like to have that option again. 

At the moment it's necessary to save files into this folder,  check the app to make sure they were imported, and then delete the content.  Auto,mmatic deletion would be nice.  :)

Current options are - 

image.png.253a1a106d52c6ac8ee4a3d71cbecdbc.png

• Level 5

When I see all the temporary files, caching and mirroring that automatically takes place on modern OSes, I sincerely doubt that the files left in an Import Folder after importing are at the root of an „out of space“ situation on a modern notebook. If the files stay in the Import Folder or not really doesn’t play a role. Keeping them builds a natural backup for the import. I rather don’t want EN to start deleting files on my computer.

For those who definitely, positively want it emptied automatically, a little script that executes in the background is enough to „solve“ the issue.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2023 at 2:17 PM, Federico Simionato said:

(...)

Hello @Federico Simionato,

I've got one issue with a note in which I keep track of all my day to day activities. When I type in that note it responds quite slow. It feels really unnatural to type. It's a note with one large table and it's 227KB big at the moment. 

The rest of my notes seem unaffected by this issue. But since I use this note everyday it's a bit annoying. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Chris_NL said:

a note with one large table and it's 227KB big

That's a pretty big note.  How about having your daily notes in a separate notebook and creating a new note each day with the appropriate heading?  You could use a template for the note and include the year and month,  just leaving you to add the day number.  It's even possible to add notes by email,  so you could simply mail your entries in.

Use templates

Save emails into Evernote

• Like 1
15 hours ago, gazumped said:

That's a pretty big note.  How about having your daily notes in a separate notebook and creating a new note each day with the appropriate heading?  You could use a template for the note and include the year and month,  just leaving you to add the day number.  It's even possible to add notes by email,  so you could simply mail your entries in.

Use templates

Save emails into Evernote

Thank you for your advice but I think it is more of a hassle to implement that in my flow than to wait a little before the characters are shown on screen. It's also the note where I keep track of my goals/habits I want to create. So having that in one note gives a better view in my opinion. 

I keep track of my activities since 2015 (a new note each year) and never had this issue before, so that's why I'm reporting it. If EN can't fix it I will take a look at your option. 

• Like 1

I'm on 10.63.3-win-ddl-public (20231003171454) and have problems with backlinks when I use a search.

When a saved search is active, links between/among the notes found in the search results note list do not work..
It looks like all backlinks point back to the first note in the result list.

When the active search is cleared, the backlinks work correctly.

Any suggestions?

On 10/11/2023 at 12:41 AM, amInMarina said:

I'm on 10.63.3-win-ddl-public (20231003171454) and have problems with backlinks when I use a search.

When a saved search is active, links between/among the notes found in the search results note list do not work..
It looks like all backlinks point back to the first note in the result list.

When the active search is cleared, the backlinks work correctly.

Any suggestions?

Same problem/issue observed in the Evernote Web App

Looks like the search does not have to be a saved search. 

Problem reported via new support request. 

-----

update 10/12/2023, 1:43pm PST

New version 10.63.4-win-ddl-public (20231006121931) does not fix the problem with backlinks in notes that are in a search result noted list.

Fixes:

• Fixes an issue where the 'Add filters' and 'Go to' sections were not appearing within search suggestions.

Improvements:

• Improvements and fixes to AI-powered search
  • Like 1