Rolling out Evernote mobile 10.54

• Administrator

It's a phased rollout, it will go out gradually over this week.
If you can't wait, on iOS you can update by directly visiting the App Store page. On the Play Store unfortunately you need to wait, there is no way to update manually.

Changelog:

• Added support for Android 9
  • Removed a lot of unused old code
  • Better analytics to investigate missing content issues
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements

As said in other messages, we're focusing on speed, stability and reliability, so:
👉 Please report in this thread any issue you might find on this new mobile version

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just installed and I'm finding a bug introduced in Tasks. 

On the home screen, recurring tasks are showing greyed out with a warning triangle adjacent to the checkbox. When you click on the entry it pops up a warning "Content not supported" This content depends on a feature not supported in this version of Evernote. You can check periodically to see if there is an update available."

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Powerfab said:

On the home screen, recurring tasks are showing greyed out with a warning triangle adjacent to the checkbox. When you click on the entry it pops up a warning "Content not supported" This content depends on a feature not supported in this version of Evernote. You can check periodically to see if there is an update available."

I have the same problem.

In my case, this problem occurs with reccuring tasks.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, janndk said:

How to understand this - should we reject the coming update (mobile 10.54) and wait for the next again?

If you use recurring tasks, like I do, it sounds like we should sit this one out.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Changelog:

6 hours ago, Powerfab said:

Just sayin'.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, s2sailor said:
1 hour ago, janndk said:

How to understand this - should we reject the coming update (mobile 10.54) and wait for the next again?

If you use recurring tasks, like I do, it sounds like we should sit this one out.

I thought they might pull back this update (as it's known to be buggy) and release a new one?

Once again, Evernote has presented us with a gigantic bug, this time in the tasks that have stopped working on the iPhone.
The incompetence and irresponsibility of the entire Evernote team is pushing us more and more towards efficient modern apps, which Evernote will NEVER be.

13 hours ago, Powerfab said:

I have the same error.

@Federico Simionato Also another issue with scratchpad - didn't have an issue in the last 2-3 releases.

When adding a note in the windows app, the notes does not appear in the ipad/iphone. After 1 hour or so, that appear, they are double and every time I need to select which one to keep.

When deleting the notes from scratchpad, it takes way too much time for them to be deleted from ipad/ios. When they are deleted and restart the app, they appear again

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Babis1215 said:

When adding a note in the windows app, the notes does not appear in the ipad/iphone. After 1 hour or so, that appear, they are double and every time I need to select which one to keep.

I’m experiencing the same issue.

3 minutos atrás, thom382 disse:

Unfortunately, this has been going on for several versions without fix...

This has now become routine for the Evernote team.
There is no planning, everything is done in such a way that one bug is fixed and another appears.
They are complete amateurs playing experts with the users.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
40 minutes ago, Silvio'ss said:

This has now become routine for the Evernote team.
There is no planning, everything is done in such a way that one bug is fixed and another appears.
They are complete amateurs playing experts with the users.

Sometimes if you have nothing reasonable to say - you should just not say it. I really hope folks don’t speak to you in your work the way you think it’s ok to speak here. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
3 minutos atrás, WilliamL disse:

Sometimes if you have nothing reasonable to say - you should just not say it. I really hope folks don’t speak to you in your work the way you think it’s ok to speak here. 

If criticizing and demanding what is a customer's right is unreasonable, the world is over and we are slaves.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Silvio'ss said:

If criticizing and demanding what is a customer's right is unreasonable, the world is over and we are slaves.

The world is over if you can’t insult staff for their work? My goodness. I have no words. 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:50 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Thank you, we reproduced the bug and will solve it soon.

Can you please post the roadmap or timeline for fixing the problem with the recurring tasks. The app is pretty much unusable for me with this bug and I would like to know specifically when a fix can be expected.

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, thom382 said:

Hello,
I still have this problem: the contents of my sketchpad duplicates until it's full.

Unfortunately, this has been going on for several versions without fix...

Several people are reporting this issue in this thread. Unfortunately, this thread is about the mobile app, not Windows. Raising the issue with tech support would probably be more effective--it may help if they get multiple reports of it. A quick search of the forum will show at least one existing thread on this Windows bug, where the discussion could be done more usefully.

Apologies if this offends someone. I personally like for these threads to be somewhat orderly, so that issues can be located and discussed more easily.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, Federico Simionato said:

Thank you, we reproduced the bug and will solve it soon.

That is a relief, I was dreading the thought that you might have taken away the feature which would be a real problem.  I also noticed that you sunset the beta version.

On 9/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, postit said:

Can you please post the roadmap or timeline for fixing the problem with the recurring tasks. The app is pretty much unusable for me with this bug and I would like to know specifically when a fix can be expected.

Thanks in advance. 

Not ideal but they still work on the web and in Windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also while we are talking about issues, can you please fix the issue with it taking forever to create a new task in Android?  Maybe it's related to the number of tasks you have, but if you were to introduce an "archive completed tasks" feature then I could archive the old completed tasks and the performance would, I am sure, drastically improve.

48 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

It would be nice if there was a little more communication and QA testing before releasing a build with such a glaring bug.

Most bugs are not known about before they are released, making it tricky to announce them in advance.  I agree that if there were still a beta program, something like this could have been caught in time by a small subset of task users, not everyone.

• Like 1

Also on the subject of recurring tasks, I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to be possible to change the date of one instance of a task without having to change the date of all subsequent occurences - which is a pretty basic requirement of a recurring task.  It's the way the Google tasks works and it's the way that most calendars work when you change one instance of a recurring event - they give you the option to choose whether or not to change the whole sequence.

2 minutes ago, Barry Graham said:

Most bugs are not known about before they are released, making it tricky to announce them in advance.  I agree that if there were still a beta program, something like this could have been caught in time by a small subset of task users, not everyone.

I was suggesting that if they did a little more quality assurance testing prior to a release they'd catch these bugs. A beta program would be helpful too.

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Barry Graham said:

I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to be possible to change the date of one instance of a task without having to change the date of all subsequent occurences

This hasn't been a feature of recurring tasks. Evernote recurring tasks work by creating the next occurrence when the current one is completed.

to all android / dark mode users... When i open EN from the large widget, i get a flashing white light before the dark mode gets activated...

this is especially nice when its night, you wanted to sleep but the short white flash makes you blind for the night 🙂

• Like 3

Yes, same problem with recurring Tasks on IOS app (iPhone and iPad).

Time this was sorted out as I was hit today with a 77% increase in my yearly subscription, this is not acceptable!

Edited by LMD
Additional comments
7 小時前, BeEfficient說:

to all android / dark mode users... When i open EN from the large widget, i get a flashing white light before the dark mode gets activated...

this is especially nice when its night, you wanted to sleep but the short white flash makes you blind for the night 🙂

I have encountered this problem in version 10.52, and it has not been fixed after using it for several versions.🙃

On 9/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, Federico Simionato said:

It's a phased rollout, it will go out gradually over this week.
If you can't wait, on iOS you can update by directly visiting the App Store page. On the Play Store unfortunately you need to wait, there is no way to update manually.

Changelog:

• Added support for Android 9
  • Better analytics to investigate missing content issues
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements

As said in other messages, we're focusing on speed, stability and reliability, so:
👉 Please report in this thread any issue you might find on this new mobile version

@Federico Simionato There is a new EN update available in Google play store: is it the buggy version (recurring tasks bug), or did it get pulled back and new fixed version is now released?

• Evernote Expert

Just got v10.54 for Android and can confirm that display of recurring tasks on the Home screen and the sidebar tasks popout had the same issue as reported by iOS users.

However the tasks can be seen. If I open the note containing the task then I can apparently mark the task as completed. 

So definitely not right but I can at least work around the issue.

• Like 2

Hi! In fact, with this new version, the app is much faster, as well as synchronization (significant improvement). At least some good news, as it's a sign of the right direction. However, the app still closes when pressing the 'back' button.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Arantes said:

Hi! In fact, with this new version, the app is much faster, as well as synchronization (significant improvement). At least some good news, as it's a sign of the right direction. However, the app still closes when pressing the 'back' button.

Since I'm not risking using it on this state, I can't verify that. I hope you are right.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
20 minutes ago, Arantes said:

I have other apps that will exit or go to the Android Home screen with the Android back button, but go to a previous page of the app's own material with the back arrow at top left. Wikipedia, for one. I believe this is considered a standard behavior, or at least a normal one, and it does make sense to differentiate between the behavior of the two buttons.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:38 AM, Powerfab said:

I'm seeing the same error on Android 

For anyone struggling with recurring tasks I found a temporary workaround. If you go into the note with the recurring task in it then it can be interacted with. For example I use the default Things to do note for many of my reminders. If I access that note directly I can mark a task as complete. It seems that the home widget is broken but the notes themselves work still.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Federico Simionato Why did the reminder notification never work? The task notification only works because it's a push notification. Why didn't you do the same with reminders? It would be crucial to have the app running in the background without having to wait for note updates and not worrying about reminders since they would work.

• Like 1

I have problems with recurring tasks as well. To bad the Evernote team were unable to prevent this from happening. 

New comment: New problem with recurring tasks from Monday September 18th: Title in recurring tasks duplicates several times for some tasks. 
Show up in Evernote Web and Evernote Desktop as well.
Evernote Android v. 10.54 (1209248)
Evernote Web v 10.61.10 web 20230912133353. Edit (?): v176.8.0. Service (?): v1.72.12
Evernote Desktop 10.61.10.

Edited by Ole380
Added info. about Android app.
3 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

We are gradually rolling out Mobile 10.54.1 that solves the recurring tasks issue.

Already got 10.54.1 (1209339) this morning. Can confirm that recurring tasks (and multiple scratch pads too) are working now.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

We are gradually rolling out Mobile 10.54.1 that solves the recurring tasks issue.

@Federico Simionato You might need to do something with the intern communication at Evernote. Just got a response from EN support telling that they are aware of the recurring tasks bug, but don't yet have a time frame for when this issue will be resolved 🤔

• Confused 1
10 minutes ago, janndk said:

@Federico Simionato You might need to do something with the intern communication at Evernote. Just got a response from EN support telling that they are aware of the recurring tasks bug, but don't yet have a time frame for when this issue will be resolved 🤔

I've found support to be mis-informed a lot of the time when I reach out to them for something. They always say they are working ceaselessly on resolving an issue without ever providing any useful information.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

I've found support to be mis-informed a lot of the time when I reach out to them for something. They always say they are working ceaselessly on resolving an issue without ever providing any useful information.

That's my experience too, in several cases. Unfortunately 😕

• Sad 1
On 9/14/2023 at 2:28 AM, agsteele said:

This hasn't been a feature of recurring tasks. Evernote recurring tasks work by creating the next occurrence when the current one is completed.

That is true but it's a basic feature that should be there with recurring tasks to allow one instance to be changed without affecting all the others.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:09 PM, mackid1993 said:

It is frustrating that this change is being rolled out so slowly. You'd think that people like us who bothered to report it would be among the first to get the update. I'm still on the old version with no update available yet.

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, Barry Graham said:

It is frustrating that this change is being rolled out so slowly. You'd think that people like us who bothered to report it would be among the first to get the update. I'm still on the old version with no update available yet.

You need to ask Google about the roll out. Google's algorithm decides who is in whichever stage. iOS users have the option to install manually if they don't want to wait for the scheduled delivery to their device.

FWIW 10.54.1 arrived with me today.

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

You need to ask Google about the roll out. Google's algorithm decides who is in whichever stage. iOS users have the option to install manually if they don't want to wait for the scheduled delivery to their device.

FWIW 10.54.1 arrived with me today.

I got it too. I'm pretty sure that Evernote can selectively push versions too. 

• Level 5

You can get it immediately in the future - just switch to iOS. There is no staged rollout there, all users get the new release on day 1.

Personally I don‘t believe the „server side restrictions“ - I mean who on that globe has more servers and data centers than Alphabet / Google ? I think there must be another reason for the staging of the rollouts, either with EN or with the PlayStore mechanism.

• Sad 1
  • Administrator

The reason we do gradual rollouts is because even with all the testing in the world, it's impossible to test all the cases that millions of users go through daily. So in case we see that there is a breaking change we introduced and did not expect, we can pull back the update. In case it looks good on 1% of people, we are more confident to go to 10%, then 25% and so on.

We have no way to select who gets the update, it's all randomly chosen based on the rollout % by the App/Play Store.

• Like 7
  • Level 5

On the AppStore I never had any delay - and I don‘t think I am among „a chosen few“. Others using EN around me on iOS get it as well as soon as it is released, even the Free users.

Personally I think that Android for sure IS a different user group, for the diversity of devices and the infamous inability of many makers to keep the users on an actual or even recent OS level. So probably staging these rollouts makes sense.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

On the AppStore I never had any delay - and I don‘t think I am among „a chosen few“. Others using EN around me on iOS get it as well as soon as it is released, even the Free users.

App store certainly supports staged rollouts, though it's up to developers to use them. Overview here: https://developer.apple.com/help/app-store-connect/update-your-app/release-a-version-update-in-phases

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think that Android for sure IS a different user group, for the diversity of devices and the infamous inability of many makers to keep the users on an actual or even recent OS level. So probably staging these rollouts makes sense.

Certainly it's possible that staged rollouts are more necessary / have become absolutely standard in the Android world due to the diversity of hardware/software and perhaps historically they were considered less necessary on iOS. Still possible to FUBAR any app update though, so I think it's good practice to stage rollouts no matter the platform.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2023 at 9:53 PM, Arantes said:

@Federico Simionato Why did the reminder notification never work? The task notification only works because it's a push notification. Why didn't you do the same with reminders? It would be crucial to have the app running in the background without having to wait for note updates and not worrying about reminders since they would work.

Reminders in Evernote are useless because they only show up as notifications.  In order to be useful they would need to pop up just like calendar reminders do.

• Level 5

If you can’t use reminders (for any remote reason other users don’t see because they are using them anyhow), use tasks.

Remark: The difference between an appreciated feature that has been around for many years (had been there on legacy for eons already) and uselessness seems to be quite abrupt in your individual view.

On 9/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, janndk said:

That's my experience too, in several cases. Unfortunately 😕

This is an issue with many companies, not just Evernote, and not only in support.  I could expand on how that has happened but I don't want to go even more off-topic.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

If you can’t use reminders (for any remote reason other users don’t see because they are using them anyhow), use tasks.

Remark: The difference between an appreciated feature that has been around for many years (had been there on legacy for eons already) and uselessness seems to be quite abrupt in your individual view.

If I a reminder doesn't remind people then it's not useful even if some people have trained themselves to glance frequently at the notifications even when they happen to be away from their phone when it beeps.

• Level 5

There is a reminders view, nicely sorted for all who can see and find it useful.

What you want is an alarm bell going off right into your face, it seems. Hardly anything found in a note app. 

The forum is user driven. If this is your specific demand, contact support.

27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is a reminders view, nicely sorted for all who can see and find it useful.

What you want is an alarm bell going off right into your face, it seems. Hardly anything found in a note app. 

The forum is user driven. If this is your specific demand, contact support.

You can do that with the Tasks view also.  A reminder is indeed something that goes off in your face.  Maybe we are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about setting a due time as well as a due date on a task.  If I have to look proactively at a list in order to be certain of not missing the reminder when the due time comes, then it's not an effective reminder. I might as well just have an hourly google task in my calendar to look at my Evernote tasks to make sure I haven't missed anything.  For me it's much easier to set an event or timed task in my calendar, which I look at throughout the day.  When I saw that Evernote had the ability to set times on tasks, I automatically assumed, as others did, that a visible reminder would appear at the prescribed time.

I do have a daily reminder in my calendar to look at my Evernote tasks sorted by due date.

12 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

The reason we do gradual rollouts is because even with all the testing in the world, it's impossible to test all the cases that millions of users go through daily. So in case we see that there is a breaking change we introduced and did not expect, we can pull back the update. In case it looks good on 1% of people, we are more confident to go to 10%, then 25% and so on.

We have no way to select who gets the update, it's all randomly chosen based on the rollout % by the App/Play Store.

Interesting, but you could bring back the beta program and allow us to get the update that way.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:44 PM, Silvio'ss said:

Once again, Evernote has presented us with a gigantic bug, this time in the tasks that have stopped working on the iPhone.
The incompetence and irresponsibility of the entire Evernote team is pushing us more and more towards efficient modern apps, which Evernote will NEVER be.

Sounds to me like you should go somewhere else!

• Like 1