Content of notes is disappearing

Is anyone else experiencing almost instant loss of data in notes? I have had this issue for a few days: I create or edit a note, move on to the next note that needs editing and when I return to the previous, most of the information I had entered is simply gone. There were two notes that I retyped three times before creating new note with a slightly different names and deleting the original notes. This is extremely annoying!

The notes had not been in existence long enough to have a history, apparently, since the history returns only the mutilated version. Is there a way to do a hard "save" as soon as a note is completed so that I don't have to recreate it several times?

Or better yet, a way to fix this annoying bug?

Windows 10
Evernote 10.56.9

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
On 5/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, loriewa said:

a way to fix this annoying bug?

Hi.  This is not a known bug,  othewise it would be happenin to lots of people and yours is the first instance I've seen.  We're mainly other users here,  and someone maybe needs to look at your account setup on their servers - short term I'd say uninstall your current Evernote setup and untick 'keep a copy of my notes on this device';  then power the device off and back on,  and reinstall. 

Allow Evernote to rebuild your notes index from the server (which might take some time) and check again for your existing notes and run some careful tests on a new note or three.  If the issue continues,  report it to Support,  with a copy of your logs.

This only started happening after the 'update' that included editing by multiple users. As I am the only user that should have access to this account, it is a bit concerning when at random times, a little red cursor with USER:xxxxxxx appears next to something I have typed. At other times, the cursor is blue with my user name on it. This all occurs while it is taking the note several minutes to 'accept' the entries or changes I have made. The Modified Time remains at '5 minutes ago' or 'May 10' or whenever the last time it deigned to update the note...

I will try your suggestion, gazumped, to see if that improves the performance. Thank you for your response.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

Just to note, you can be a multiple user on your own notes. Access the note on, say, a mobile device and desktop. Each 'user' gets a unique colour and avatar combination.

6 hours ago, agsteele said:

Just to note, you can be a multiple user on your own notes. Access the note on, say, a mobile device and desktop. Each 'user' gets a unique colour and avatar combination.

To add to this, I've noticed that we can also get RTE cursor behavior now by only using just the Desktop app when we pop open the note in its own new window and edit the note from both the main window and the new window.

• Like 4
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

To add to this, I've noticed that we can also get RTE cursor behavior now by only using just the Desktop app when we pop open the note in its own new window and edit the note from both the main window and the new window.

So we can! And of course edits in one show up simultaneously in the other as always, but now with the RTE "decorations."

Me also facing the same problem. After create note.. then note disappear.. seem like the note or new content not sync. It happened after really time collaboration launch.! So annoying.! 

How to fix this problem?

I'm facing the same problem too. This was all after the latest launch of RTE. Lost several notes 2weeks ago and was careful not to pop up the note in a new window thereafter so that there is no "multiple me" working on the same note. Just purely typing on the first note > move to a second note > type on the second note > move back to the first note > viola! content on the first note that were typed few minutes ago were all gone.

Reported to Evernote 2weeks ago but have not had any resolution since. Only an email response saying they are seeing more ticket volume than usual and have escalated my case to their technical support team. 

Super frustrated. Been an Evernote user for >10yrs and a paid subscriber. Appreciate if anyone can crowd source possible solutions or workarounds, else not being an Evernote user is the only option left.

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, CHQ said:

Reported to Evernote 2weeks ago but have not had any resolution since. Only an email response saying they are seeing more ticket volume than usual and have escalated my case to their technical support team. 

It's not unreasonable to take a while to investigate an unusual issue - have you reminded them via the ticket that you're still waiting for a resolution? Apart from that I see no magical way to resurrect missing notes unless you have a backup copy somewhere.

Back up and restore your data in Evernote for Windows

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's not unreasonable to take a while to investigate an unusual issue - have you reminded them via the ticket that you're still waiting for a resolution? Apart from that I see no magical way to resurrect missing notes unless you have a backup copy somewhere.

Back up and restore your data in Evernote for Windows

Agree that it'll take a while to investigate. Just that what seem to be an unusual issue seems to be getting more common....? It happen to almost every Note I have worked on since this occurs - both existing and new Note; and it's getting to a point of being unreliable that I cannot trust what's in there anymore. Pardon my ignorance, is there anyway one can download an older version of Evernote before RTE release? I might do just that to see if it works.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

What I sometimes see since RTE is a note without content showing when I open it. This seems to be related to the conversion of the notes content to the new data structure, used for RTE. It sometimes takes several seconds (and honestly longer than I would like to wait), and then the content appears, healthy and complete.

Don‘t know if it is this what is described here. It does happen only occasionally, not with every older note opened for the first time after RTE was introduced.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, CHQ said:

is there anyway one can download an older version of Evernote before RTE release?

Hmmn.  Not from Evernote.  A few third-party sites like filehippo.com offer previous versions of most software,  though with Evernote's changes to database format you install anything other than the current release absolutely at your own risk.  If you're a subscriber it's far better to contact Support and get their help rather than experimenting on your own...

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Not from Evernote. 

Actually, as it happened @RMorgan posted a link to an earlier version in a separate thread for a different need but should do the trick...

However, the older version will try to update itself fairly speedily so be careful to stop that happening.  v10.58 is due soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not recommend using older client versions.  RTE is a huge change with changes on both client and server.  I only posted that version because it is before the shutdown handler was added which was causing the user to completely not be able to run.  There might still be some compatibilty issues.  It is always better to stay on the latest.

I am seeing this problem as well. Edits to some of my notes are not being saved. It started happening when multi-editing was released. I keep hoping it was a one-off, but I've noticed it a couple of times now.

I am also seeing this problem exactly as others have described.  I go in and update a task list note, and few seconds to hours later, the note is showing a blank content.   Tasks that were there before are gone,  the new ones I added are gone, but can still see the original tasks in my task list.   

Very strange and annoying.  

13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I've now experienced this, simultaneously with a rather nasty mix of other problems, and posted the whole business here:

Thanks for sharing @Dave-in-Decatur. I have not experienced misplaced content (or maybe I haven't noticed yet?) but I'm still facing continued content loss.

Have also observed that this is in spite of Note status showing "All changes saved" on my first Note before I moved on to the second Note and came back to the first. Another strange one is that the content I typed previously were not found in Note History either. There were multiple history versions, but none were meaningful enough to be restored. Wonder what change were saved originally...? Most recently, my deleted Tasks are still found in my open list, but I think I can deal better with deleting Tasks/Notes again vs content loss.

• Like 2

Same issue. Here's the help ticket request I just submitted: 

2023-05-30

Am writing this help ticket request for the 2nd time (this time in local desktop text editor, as I was nearly done and about to punch "Submit ticket" when Evernote reset and apparently lost my entire note.

MacBook Air M1 chip 2020, running Mac OS Ventura latest version (Mac OS Ventura 13.4 (22F66).

Synch issue.

Evernote for several days now has frequently reverted edited notes to an earlier version, losing substantial edits. Or it appears to attempt to "fix" a synch issue by merging several iterations of edits into one passage, rendering the note / passage unreadable and unusable.

When I notice this issue, I can sometimes (but not always) get most of the edits back by restoring an "earlier" note from Note History by looking at timestamps.

1) I don't have time or capacity to reread every note I edit every day (sometimes hundreds) to see if my edits "took."

2) I work on desktop, always, for what I thought was stability. Occasionally, when its faster to access a note through an internal link, I will check or start a note on web and then verify it saved on desktop. But I have had enough experience with synch issues from running web and local simultaneously that I know not to work on the same note in both places. And I add my own inline time and date stamps to such notes so I can verify on desktop that I'm in latest note before I make changes locally.

3) This glitch, which I've never experienced before in 11 years of paid Evernote use (paid user since 2012) is a dealbreaker. I'm not paying for "SometimesNote."

What is causing this error?

When will it be fixed?

Are my local notes actually saved locally on my desktop, or are they only in the Evernote cloud? Separate issue: when we were without power or internet for a week in February, many attachments and notes that had been (I thought) *on* my computer for years. notes I made 2 or more years ago, either would not load at all, or would not load the attachments until I had internet. Again, defeats the purpose.
  • Like 1

adding after reading some more in this forum (these additions not in my help ticket request, copy of which posted above) 

- no Tasks in any notes - I don't use them

- not alternating devices -- do 100% of editing on desktop; use iPhone (11) to view notes but not edit them

- web and desktop notes - did address in help ticket request: while I'll occasionally edit a note in Evernote web, I add manually, inline, date and time of edit and wait until I see that timestamp on desktop render, then close web version, before making additional edits.

Thanks - helpful thread and It's reassuring to know not only one struggling with this issue.

Edited by raojenkins
  • Like 1
On 5/21/2023 at 11:26 PM, CHQ said:

I'm facing the same problem too. This was all after the latest launch of RTE. Lost several notes 2weeks ago and was careful not to pop up the note in a new window thereafter so that there is no "multiple me" working on the same note. Just purely typing on the first note > move to a second note > type on the second note > move back to the first note > viola! content on the first note that were typed few minutes ago were all gone.

Super frustrated. Been an Evernote user for >10yrs and a paid subscriber. Appreciate if anyone can crowd source possible solutions or workarounds, else not being an Evernote user is the only option left.

Same. Submitted ticket 2023-05-30 and nothing. Also, help page (https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us) now has this message: ""We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable due to the high volume of support requests. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding."

Red is Evernote's. And the link doesn't work. Seems like RTE has broken the "Ever" part of Evernote, rendering it less than useless.

• Like 1
On 5/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, RMorgan said:

I would not recommend using older client versions.  RTE is a huge change with changes on both client and server.  I only posted that version because it is before the shutdown handler was added which was causing the user to completely not be able to run.  There might still be some compatibilty issues.  It is always better to stay on the latest.

Howdy. Nice to see staff here. Any update on when this not-keeping-changes issue will be fixed? In 11 years as paid user I've never had this issue before. it renders the app essentially less than useless. since I can't trust that any change I make to any note will actually *stay." No "Ever" in Evernote.

• Like 2

There is a lot of flux unfortunately with RTE.  There were several bugs fixed in 10.57.10 and if you're not on that version I would suggest checking for updates or manually downloading from the website.  10.58 is scheduled for next week and I know it has some fixes for note duplication and missing attachments among other things.  Please be patient.  RTE has huge benefits for not just multiple people working on notes simultaneously but also better handling of note conflicts between devices.

Data integrity is still our #1 priority so we take these bugs seriously.  https://evernote.com/privacy/3-laws-of-data-protection

• Level 5*

I’m all for rapid fixes but please ensure the QA team has adequate time to test the new versions before they are released into the wild.  At times it seems like we are taking one step forward but two steps back.  Updates that cause data loss should never see the light of day.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Want to chip in I've also had this problem even with on version 10.58.5-win-ddl-public, and been seeing this problem for over a week now. (I'm messaging support)

-on desktop notes are very reluctant to save, switch notes and the changes vanish. 
-sometimes notes look like they are saved but after power cycle the next day the latest changes are gone.

I don't need any of the new features like collaborative editing, just don't break the core functionality... Open Beta maybe?
as raojenkins said, evernote is practically unusable right now. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Chronopolize said:

(I'm messaging support)

Hi.  You're doing the right thing.  In any modern app getting things fixed is a two-way street.  Evernote won't know things are going wrong unless they get specific feedback from users.  This Forum doesn't exactly count - it's mainly supported by other users like me, and while Evernote staffers will read comments (days or weeks after they're made),  they (mostly) don't respond on individual issues.  Individual feedback also means Evernote can view Activity Logs to see what's going on with their code.  Basically more reports mean faster fixes.

Sadly I'm not seeing the same things here - Windows 11 and 10.58.3 (I just updated manually, so I don't feel inclined to do it again for a .5 version).  Evernote has its ongoing... indiosyncrasies...  but it's not "unusable" by any means.

I am also having the same problem for days. I thought I was going crazy. Finally yesterday I was able to confirm the issue and yes, after 2 hours of research, I was left with almost nothing. and now I have to redo it all over again. So frustrating.

The application is on the latest version, the same for Windows 11 I am using. I do use tasks and it is available in the UI. I only use the desktop version and the research is private so I am the only one that has access to it.

image.png.32085b6ae56ecf2ef4307dc3a203dac8.png

This is the first time that this message appears. Before the content would just be gone and left me with a lot of confusion and frustration.

I am honestly moving to One Note. I am not sure if it is any better but I can't trust that the report and research I do for work will still be there after the next sync.

• Level 5*

You mention that you are on the latest version and that you use tasks. That implies that you were using version 10, but the message you show I believe is only on the legacy version. Is it possible that you have the legacy version and V10 both installed?

I added a task to the note and some content underneath yesterday. 

This morning all the content was replaced by that message and left "Nothing Foun" which was part of the research I have done.

In the places I added a Task (Alt+T) it would be replaced with something like belo

image.png.2ab2e1dd3364aba127bcdfd212b248ef.png

or the tile of the task would be deleted and all the content underneath was also deleted.

image.png.9d395dc10e51f2118545042f231e5333.png

• Level 5*

If you haven't already, please submit a problem ticket.  What is confusing me is the message.  I have only seen that in the legacy version before, never V10.  Can you see your tasks when you log into Evernote in your web browser, instead of using the installed Windows client?

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Thiago Murphy said:

In the places I added a Task (Alt+T) it would be replaced with something like belo

That message is definitely from the Legacy version of Evernote which must also be installed on your system.  I'd suggest you uninstall Evernote from your system,  and restart your device;  then download the latest version from Evernote.com (now 10.58.8) and re-install.  When you log in it will download your notes from the server,  which can take some time.  Afterward you should be able to see Tasks without further issues.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2023 at 4:10 AM, RMorgan said:

10.58 is scheduled for next week

2-3weeks have gone by and I'm still seeing this when I clicked "Check for Updates". Is this something I should worry about - that Evernote cannot detect its latest version? 🤔

image.png.6be2703bf513051839944a86b90032e7.png

• Level 5*

Hi - it means you're in a 100-200 million user queue as the update is rolled out.  Jumping the queue is easy - download and install the new version directly from Evernote.com.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Bill in Edmonton said:

Also same problem multiple times. So much lost work …also the latest version hangs frequently   Is there no quality control?

Hi.  Have you reported your issues to Support?  And - just to confirm - are you using Evernote 10.58 now?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a Mac on Evernote 10.58.8-mac-mas-public (459909), Editor: v172.19.3, Service: v1.69.5.

I continue to have the problem of Evernote losing my notes. It happened again this morning. It lost everything from the bottom of my note to about half-way through the single task I had set for myself.

Evernote is unusable. As everyone said, if there's not a fix soon, I'll need to find a new note taking app. As a paying subscriber for many years, I hate to do it.

Since Apple has Notes built into MacOS for free, that's probably the first thing I'll try.

I am on windows and have a terrible problem with things being lost there.  For example, I once penned a long (full page printed) note and, when I came back to it the next day, it was empty.  The history showed 2 empty notes.  I did at least print it so that my material is not lost.  (The solution was to enter it again on my mac, which did not seem to have the problem).

What I have seen on windows is that I can enter text on a screen, exit the note, come back and it is not there.  I even tried making edits, duplicating the note, and come back.  The text is missing from both my original and the copy..

I started noticing a month or so back that copying and pasting between notes would not get the full copied material pasted.  This has only become much worse.

I did uninstall evernote on my PC and reinstall it, and this did not help.

I am on the latest

10.58.8-win-ddl-public (4175)
Editor: v172.19.3
Service: v1.69.5
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I am on 10.58.8-mac-ddl-public (4175), Editor: v172.19.3, Service: v1.69.5 and have also just lost the contents of a note.  In the past I have had trouble with notes not rendering correctly but have always been able to ignore it for a few days and the contents eventually reappeared.  Today was different.

The note appeared to lose the entire contents and replaced it with three "Untitled task" entries.  While I was submitting my ticket, part of the note reappeared...but only part of it.  The restored contents were definitely rearranged and not located or formatted in the way it was originally.

This is absolutely ridiculous behavior for a note taking app.  How can this even be a product when contents are disappearing and partially reappearing?

I have also reported it to support with logs. 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, KeithF said:

I am on 10.58.8-mac-ddl-public (4175), Editor: v172.19.3, Service: v1.69.5 and have also just lost the contents of a note.

Is this only happening with notes that have tasks included?  That is the only time I’ve seen this problem.

Evernote support just responded to me that I should restore my note from the history.  If that doesn't work, then they will escalate the issue.

The gives me the feeling they don't actually take this issue seriously unless there is data loss that we can't recover.  The fact that notes are losing their contents spontaneously seems like it has a large enough customer impact that they should root cause and fix the underlying issue.

The fact that their restore from history feature works is not a valid reason for ignoring the initial issue.

This is disappointing and doesn't instill confidence in Evernote.

History is not really working for me... the edits or additions I make never get saved to History... my only salvation is a little clipboard utility I use: I copy the body of the note as edited and then restore it WHEN Evernote doesn't retain the creation or edits on the note.

• Evernote Expert

Rather, this reflects the fact that your issue is very well known and it's being given significant resources to resolve for all those who are similarly affected.

The note history function is the way to recover things for you immediately. If that doesn't work for you then a referral up the chain is needed because you are experiencing something more than what is common.

If note history gets you going again then you are good to go. The Devs are already working on the issue.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, agsteele said:

..... The Devs are already working on the issue.

What indication do we have that the devs are working on this?  Support certainly didn't indicate this is the case.

• Evernote Expert

I'm fairly certain that one of the posts by @Federico Simionato detailed this. He had definitely detailed the action taken already and indicated what else is underway.

Certainly the briefings we've had as Evernote Experts have confirmed this to be the case.

• Like 1

Why would EverNote not stop working on EVERYTHING immediately and fix this? I am in the process of researching other options - Keep, OneNote, etc...this is ridiculous. I can no longer trust anything I type into EverNote.

• Level 5

We can only speculate what they are doing in detail, because we don’t know what the root cause analysis tells.

What we can tell is that management and staff is aware of the importance of the problem, and are working to solve it.

One measure against too little local storage was release as a partial fix, because EN didn’t want to wait until the second part was ready for release. This speaks for the pressure under which measures are taken.

When the issue will be completely solved, we can’t tell either.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, NGMO said:

I can no longer trust anything I type into EverNote.

Over 15 years of heavy use I don't recall any losses of data with Evernote - but I still keep a backup copy of my database just in case.  I have had data losses from several other apps - because I'm relying on a network connection to complicated electronic devices that all have their own peculiarities.  Only two things in life are certain - anything elextronic is not.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Over 15 years of heavy use I don't recall any losses of data with Evernote

Consider yourself fortunate.  Over 15 years here as well and no data loss … until the new sync release.  I’m being patient and am double checking things, but having data loss is a real disappointment.

Yes... you can't back up something that has never made it into Evernote. When you complete a note and it looks fine but has disappeared when you go to the next note... and Note History reveals only the nearly blank note, backing up is futile...😪

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, gazumped said:

What device / OS / Evernote version?

Mac, latest version, 10.58.8.  Support has all the details, and has occurred since the recent backend changes, though infrequent.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

... infrequent...

and that is acceptable???

Data loss of any degree is inexcusable.  It is infrequent on 10.58.8.  More common, for me, on earlier versions, or before the backend changes, not sure which, so they do seem to be making progress.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Which doesn’t help when you lose data right after entry which is the problem that I’ve experienced.

Exactly!  This is the why backups are not a valid solution for this problem and why this problem is more critical than your typical corruption of a note.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:28 AM, gazumped said:

Hi - it means you're in a 100-200 million user queue as the update is rolled out.  Jumping the queue is easy - download and install the new version directly from Evernote.com.

Hmm…. I would have thought that “as the update gets rolled out”, Evernote would get updated automatically. Checking for updates manually by clicking on “Check for Updates” would be considered as jumping the queue. LOL. Oh well, I took your advice - uninstalled the version I had, downloaded & reinstalled the latest version directly from Evernote.com - and the same problems exist: 1) content missing right after moving to another Note even though it says “All Changes Saved”. 2) Note History did NOT capture anything.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, CHQ said:

2) Note History did NOT capture anything.

Did you check note history in both notes?

- I don't know where Evernote are in resolving tha data loss issue - if you've not heard from them recently,  the best source of information is Support - we're mainly other users around here...

On 5/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, CHQ said:

Just an update: Evernote Support contacted me regarding their attempt to recover images that I have lost and I recently found a newly created Note containing some of the missing images. So I do believe that the team is doing whatever they possibly can to help recover IF you have reported the issue. However the missing texts are still yet to be recovered, and new images and texts are still missing right after entry, just like many who have expressed so. This is for both Notes with Tasks and without Tasks.

I have given up on the desktop version - the same happened with 10.58, if not worse. Many times I saw another “me” appearing on the same Note when I’m the only user using that Note, and it’s not a shared Note. OR the circle will keep spinning & loading & Evernote would just hang up on me. Having said that, I do observe an improvement recently with the web version. So far, the content are still there (fingers crossed still!), compared to the web version 2 months ago where data would still be lost right after entry. Not sure why there would be a difference - maybe some of the experts here might know? So for those who are facing an issue with the desktop version, you might want to give the web version a shot & see if it works better for you?

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, CHQ said:

Many times I saw another “me” appearing on the same Note when I’m the only user using that Note, and it’s not a shared Note.

Was the same note open on another device?  I think that would be the only way you would see another “me.”

It’s interesting that you are seeing the web version perform better than the desktop version. I thought the fixes were mainly on the server side, so I didn’t think it would matter much between clients but, maybe not.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

the web version perform better than the desktop version

I guess that's logical - the new RTE setup has the installed version constantly checking with the network and the server.  The web version is the server,  so fewer delays... 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Was the same note open on another device?  I think that would be the only way you would see another “me.”

Nope, I’m the only user on the Note, and I made sure to use it on 1 device at any 1 point in time intentionally  - precisely to avoid “multiple me” situation or anything that might potentially cause data loss; but still, data are lost right after entry.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, CHQ said:

Nope, I’m the only user on the Note, and I made sure to use it on 1 device at any 1 point in time intentionally

Ok, only on device.  Any chance the note was open on both desktop and web on the same device, or open in a second window?

12 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Any chance the note was open on both desktop and web on the same device, or open in a second window?

Nope, it’s either desktop OR web in my use case. Opening the same Note on both desktop and web (even on same device) would result in multiple me, isn’t it? I tried that before, and saw another me on the same Note which makes logical sense. But in the case I described earlier, it’s solely 1 session on that 1 note on 1 device. I should add that it happened very quickly - with my avatar appearing and disappearing within seconds. Occasionally, I would also see a red cursor coming up on some parts of the Note saying “user XXXXX” (XXXX being user ID) just like how it would on a Google doc except this is way more clunky.

I just happened to me as well! Just lost 2-3 hours of painstaking work! So upset right now. I generated a shareable link (not sure if that was the trigger) and suddenly all that was left of the note was a short garbled paragraph. All entries in Note History only contained variations of the garbled paragraph. Pages upon pages of created and layouted content gone.

Like another user wrote, this is simply inexcusable. This time it was for a personal project, but I use Evernote for work! Which could have been disastrous. 

I've been a paying Premium-member for 10-15 years but if Evernote can't be trusted anymore, I will have to look for alternatives ASAP. I have also been responsible for recommending Evernote to countless friends and colleagues over the years and would now feel obligated to warn them to stop using Evernote. :( 

P.S. I work as a Solutions Architect in IT (E-Commerce specifically) so I'm no newbie when it comes to tech or software.

/Really disappointed and frustrated.

• Level 5*
On 7/18/2023 at 10:17 PM, pontus.olin said:

Just lost 2-3 hours of painstaking work!

I hope you have contacted Support - for interest,  what device,  OS and Evernote version are/ were you using?

It just happened to me, I have been using EN since 2009, it has never happened before. I am using Windows 10 Pro / Evernote 10.59.5 (updated yesterday)

My hours of work just disappeared, not found in history, I was using a regular note the same than ones I have been using for the last 14 years, I switched note, and when I get back I found an early stage of the note

The bad thing is the Trust Issues that comes after something like this, I am very concerned right now

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, AlexGalindo said:

The bad thing is the Trust Issues that comes after something like this, I am very concerned right now

Hence the suggestion that you should contact Support - they will at least be able to investigate how and why this happened.  Have to say that I'm also on 10.59.5 and -so far- haven't had any of the nightmare cases that some are reporting...  I definitely haven't lost any work,  and I've been adding rather more notes than usual recently.

• Thanks 1
I am absolutely devastated and heartbroken, if your company cannot get back my notes, then I will be forced to leave their platform. 

I am absolutely heartbroken that your company app did not save my entry. I have never ever ever had a problem using the Apple notes app.

I put in pages of notes, and they are gone, absolutely gone!!!

Error log below

[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0783]  INFO: conduit-core:  NSync event source created: 13855c44-5664-4f14-b0f7-bb6e29f17dee:  lastConnection=1690605442699&connectionId=9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a&encode=false&entityFilter=[5,6,12,13,18,14,16,15,17,19,30,23,26,24,25]&newIdentityIds=[] apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0851]  INFO: conduit-core:  Received NSync event: connection 9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a::1690605442699 apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0853]  INFO: conduit-core:  Received first NSync event from event source  {"connectionID":"9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a","lastConnection":1690605502699,"lastFilter":["SavedSearch","Shortcut","Preferences","Board","Widget","WidgetContentConflict","NoteContentInfo","Reminder","Task","TaskUserSettings","ScheduledNotification","Scores","CalendarSettings","CalendarEvent","CalendarAccount","UserCalendarSettings"],"lastAttempt":0,"identityIds":[],"lastKnownIdentityIds":[],"inMigration":false} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0872]  INFO: conduit-core:  Executing remote mutations for upsync:  {"mutationsToUpsync":{"count":1,"mutations":[{"name":"rteUpdateContent","id":"fbbf4258-77ef-7b5b-c7bb-aa4b766c3be7"}]},"start":1690605706872} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0885]  INFO: conduit-core:  Upsync remote mutations response: {"time":13,"retryMutations":{"count":1,"mutations":[{"name":"rteUpdateContent","id":"fbbf4258-77ef-7b5b-c7bb-aa4b766c3be7","guids":{"note":"cc3d72e8-e380-71ca-7d28-037a3b17600a"}}]}} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0927]  INFO: conduit-core:  Received NSync event: complete 9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a::1690605646906 {"documentCount":4} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0937]  WARN: conduit-core:  Unknown sync info {"connectionId":"9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a","identityIds":[]} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0938]  INFO: conduit-core:  Processed NSync event: connection 9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0947]  WARN: conduit-core:  Unknown sync info {"documentCount":4} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:46:0948]  INFO: conduit-core:  Processed NSync event: complete 9d35e939-e99b-4d6d-ab46-65844f1e0d1a apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:47:0602]  INFO: conduit-core:  [RTE_SESS].[tryClose] called for note cc3d72e8-e380-71ca-7d28-037a3b17600a by listenerKey 6+EDITOR_VIEW_44eb3cad-e9e6-4e0c-8063-252899f76a5d apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:47:0603]  INFO: conduit-core:  [RTE_SESS].[destroy] noteID: cc3d72e8-e380-71ca-7d28-037a3b17600a apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:48:0696]  INFO: conduit-core:  Executing remote mutations for upsync:  {"mutationsToUpsync":{"count":1,"mutations":[{"name":"rteUpdateContent","id":"fbbf4258-77ef-7b5b-c7bb-aa4b766c3be7"}]},"start":1690605708696} apply (native)
[Fri Jul 28 2023 22:41:49:0103]  INFO: conduit-core:  Upsync remote mutations response: {"time":406,"successMutations":{"count":1,"mutations":[{"name":"rteUpdateContent","id":"fbbf4258-77ef-7b5b-c7bb-aa4b766c3be7","guids":{"note":"cc3d72e8-e380-71ca-7d28-037a3b17600a"}}]}} apply (native)

image.png

• Like 1
On 7/28/2023 at 12:58 PM, gazumped said:

also on 10.59.5 and -so far- haven't had any of the nightmare case

Well I'm glad you haven't had any trouble... I was away from Evernote for the past couple of weeks but applied the update. Today when starting up the program  I am faced with a new and really crazy problem: when opening a notebook, Evernote goes through a very long loop of what I suppose is syncing. It shows the contents of the notebook for a couple of seconds then the circular spinning icon for a few seconds then the notebook then the circular spinner...and so forth for several minutes! Even when the notebook contains only three notes. And it is slower than ever in response. I am NOT impressed with the update (and hope that this is not indicative of the new ownership)...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, loriewa said:

Well I'm glad you haven't had any trouble... I was away from Evernote for the past couple of weeks but applied the update. Today when starting up the program  I am faced with a new and really crazy problem: when opening a notebook, Evernote goes through a very long loop of what I suppose is syncing. It shows the contents of the notebook for a couple of seconds then the circular spinning icon for a few seconds then the notebook then the circular spinner...and so forth for several minutes! Even when the notebook contains only three notes. And it is slower than ever in response. I am NOT impressed with the update (and hope that this is not indicative of the new ownership)...

I see the same thing everytime I add something to a note that contains tasks.  

First post ever.... I came here tonight because I am having exactly this issue. It's been plaguing me for a couple of weeks now. I think it's because of the new update? This is a pretty bad issue to have... losing the content of my notes. It's frustrating.

I have the same issue and have support tickets on multiple occurances of notes with disappearing content while editing.  Going to try the recommened reinstall. 

10.59.5-win-ddl-public (5236)
Editor: v174.13.3
Service: v1.70.3
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I'm not sure if my comment will help you, but maybe it can give you some peace of mind. In May, it was almost impossible for me to work with Evernote. I had to slow down my workflow tremendously, keeping Evernote open on both my desktop and in the browser to check if notes got synced, and also copy-pasting content into Word, just not to lose it. Now, two months later, I am back to my original workflow, and I am trusting Evernote again to keep track of my inputs. So, for me, it got better over the last couple of weeks. I also investigated moving out of Evernote, but my workflow is so ingrained in it that moving out would not only require a huge effort to migrate 10k+ notes but also leave me with multiple tools when I can now do everything with just one.

My apologies for not being very helpful. I hope things will improve soon for you too!

• Like 2

I just had my long bullet text note deleted.

Wrote the note yesterday. Long note with about 150 bullet points.

Opened Evernote today and there's only one bullet point there (!).

Looked through Note History - it looks a bit better - I can recover a version with a whopping 9 bullets.

But still, this is a disaster, to have totally lost  ~141 of my ~150 meeting bullets!!!!

This has never happened to me before. I had a problem with offline-taken notes syncing properly several months back, but that's been solved for awhile + this note was taken while online, anyway.

Evernote version: 10.59.5-win-ddl-public (5236)

Editor: v174.13.3

Service: v1.70.3

This is absolutely inexcusable. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with OneNote, Word, Google Docs, or indeed any other app.

That's an hour of my life I will never get back.

• Level 5*

@flyer1003: Hi - were you using the installed app or the browser version when editing the note?  Can't suggest much to help I'm afraid - if most of the note was created in one session and that's missing,  it sounds like the content never made it to Evernote.  I do suggest you contact Support - maybe they can help with the content,  or at least find a way to ensure this doesn't happen again...

I experience this constantly.  Win-EN 10.59.5, Win11.  Have followed all tech assist instructions down to remove/reinstall/rebuild.  Have sent multiple logs immediately after "tail-clipping" incidents.  Tech Service response was shockingly useless:  "Our team worked hard to find a solution to the issue that you kindly flagged up. However, it was not possible for us to reproduce it successfully nor to detect a generalized issue."  As the word "error" occurs many dozens of times in the logs, I interpret this to mean "Yeah your data disappeared, but not in a predictable/repeatable fashion; random data destruction fails to meet our definition of 'bug' so we're going to ignore it". 

The "tail-clipping" behavior is not simply "fail-to-register/sync latest text".  It is "destruction of recently entered or edited data" including mere text formatting.  See attached clips of an incident moments ago:  ORIGINAL was amended to finish a sentence + set subtitle typeface to BOLD.  RESULT shows both added new text and merely emboldened old text destroyed.  Incidents of data destruction (tail-clipping) typically display "all changes saved" before EN destroys the edits.  All (my) instances of tail-clipping involve editing a note, then switching to an alternative note, then returning to the edited note.  It does not occur "before my eyes" while editing.

(All data entry via WinEN app; history recovered via WebEN).

Schooner

Original.jpg

Result.jpg

I'm also having this issue on Android. I'm a paid subscriber. The loss of bits of notes is more frequent than not. Syncing notes does not prevent recently typed content from not sticking. It is so bad I'm taking screenshots regularly.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jfromncl said:

I'm also having this issue on Android. I'm a paid subscriber. The loss of bits of notes is more frequent than not. Syncing notes does not prevent recently typed content from not sticking. It is so bad I'm taking screenshots regularly.

Noted,  but this is a Windows thread - please post in the Android forum

I am both losing critical points of information in my notes and having my notes being randomly duplicated. I am experiencing a loss of notes in realtime as I am typing more. Trying to correct the problems causes more problems. Some of notes are randomly being duplicated around as well. I have not posted all screenshots of every problem area, but these are two screenshots of what I am experiencing. These issues seem to come and go as they please on my end. Everything was working fine. These issues come up. I correct them. For a while it's fine but then the issue comes up again. This is extremely debilitating.

I was trying to shift things around in my notes by copying and pasting. And it threw my stuff into a section I did not intend near the bottom of the document, which was NOT where I was originally editing, thus messing everything up.

I am using the Evernote application Evernote 10.59.5

image.png.3308a393b19b273246d1a6eef6bb5510.png

image.thumb.png.53a94eb34514b26d2ba9b02fd9972a67.png

Updated to 10.60.4 with the Evernote app when tried taking notes on a different machine.
Thought the problems were fixed, but I witnessed this just now.

As I was typing a line, I saw Evernote delete some of my text from a lower line and it inserted 3 bullet points in place of the missing letters.

image.thumb.png.b3fcf49e7516d51c285d369ea0874c87.png

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

Hi, @vincent.lo, and welcome to the forums. We're mostly other users here, so there are limits to what we can suggest. My question would be about your Internet connectivity. Evernote is constantly syncing, and if there are hiccups in connectivity, this kind of thing might happen, I think. Beyond that, you may need to contact Evernote's tech support: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

Just lost data again.  I have not had any issues until today when I added note content and then added several tasks.  Only a portion of the first task that I added made it into the note.  Everything after that - several more tasks and some additional note content was lost.

I think this has been said before, but the dataloss seems to be highly coupled with adding/editing/moving tasks.

I would suggest avoiding tasks in Evernote.  It might not be 100% guaranteed, but suspicious for sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Uninstalling/reinstalling EN desktop version did not work for me. I started having data loss problems on Notes without tasks before it extends to Notes with tasks. Eversince I move onto Web version, I notice the data loss issue has improved alot but it may still occur especially if my Note contains images. It would now give me the circle of death loading image and again, History does not help to restore anything.

image.png.63cc63c4ba1e39a4a9c34cad44195c77.png

• Level 5
1 hour ago, CHQ said:

Uninstalling/reinstalling EN desktop version did not work for me. I started having data loss problems on Notes without tasks before it extends to Notes with tasks. Eversince I move onto Web version, I notice the data loss issue has improved alot but it may still occur especially if my Note contains images. It would now give me the circle of death loading image and again, History does not help to restore anything.

image.png.63cc63c4ba1e39a4a9c34cad44195c77.png

Since you've reinstalled, I assume you're on the latest version, 10.60.4. See this request from @Federico Simionato for users suffering data loss to report it:

• Like 1

So, it seems as if there is no resolution? I have been losing notes for the past month or so, and nothing seems to fix it. The core function of Evernote is...notes. Been using it for 13 years, but I may have to say goodbye. This is so frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You tell you know !

I would say, you know nothing, and just prove to be the forum troll you are, spreading gossip and negative spirit.

To prove the contrary: What was EN sales income Q2/23, and how did it compare with the business plan and with Q2/22 ?

Now you better have an answer …

• Level 5
8 hours ago, NotePilot1969 said:

Time to cut the cord and move to a note app that isn’t plagued with so many issues that never seem to get resolved. EN keeps getting worse, and their company’s outlook is worse every quarter. 

Cut away, but please speak for yourself. In my experience, after the very rocky start in May and June with the new sync and real-time editing, many issues have been resolved, and Evernote has gotten better. Obviously not for everyone, but that's my point: experiences vary, and no absolute or universal statement is valid.