Images aren't loading on the Desktop version

I take a lot of screenshots when I work, and dorp them into Evernote. This morning, none of my images are loading. I get a spinning circle that never resolves. 

This is a deal breaker, and given that Evernote doesn't allow users to actually contact anyone for support... here I am. 

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.53.13 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From how it looks the local database has taken a shot. You can try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  5. Let the initial download run, and leave the app open. It will take a while to download the full content, for offline use.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but I wanted to share that I have exactly the same issue, and while I briefly panicked (I have > 12,000 notes, so many, many thousand images), I realised that I can see the attachments on my iphone and on the Web client, so I know that my data isn't lost. But it's still profoundly disconcerting that I can't see any of it on the desktop version of the app (I'm using a macbook).

• Like 4

I have exact same issue, can't see some of the images from a lot of my notes on desktop version, iOS version, or web version, I'm very concerned, not sure how to fix it, I really need to see these images as soon as possible and I don't have a way to look at them now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I seem to have the same issue. I'm on version 10.58.8 downloaded from Evernote not from the appstore. 

I've done all that was suggested above, including restarting my Mac (MacBook Air) to no avail.  I still have this annoying endless rotating circle. 

The images are PNG (I've seen JPGs not rendering but being saved in a local location before, this is not the case). I'm concerned because I've captured these images from my screen and I have no way of recapturing them.

On a more general note, sometimes I capture PNGs and don't have the time to turn them into JPG. Does EN not support PNG? 

image.png.42b314880ae215cf84cc79fe9bdba98d.png

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue would be highly appreciated. 

I tried what was mentioned in this thread and it did not work. This a huge issue that is very anxiety inducing when considering all the valuable images I could lose if they never load again. In my specific case, images don't load on desktop, web, nor iOS.

• Like 1

I also have this issue of images not loading in existing notes. It impedes my productivity. And it erodes my trust in this product. Will official instructions be posted or an update released to resolve this issue soon?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and I'm using the web version, Chrome as the browser, iMac, and also occurs on my MBAir using the app. I've previously had to delete the photo and start over, and I've learned that whenever possible to copy text rather than use a screen clip as this function (using images in Evernote) is not reliable.

Unfortunately as I was trialing Evernote, I accidentally imported a large pdf, so in order to try it longer than one day I had to purchase it for a year.

Disappointed in this particular function - and the fact that no one has addressed it despite it being a known issue for months - but I need true offline functionality so this is all that there is available at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Kelly Flanagan said:

Images I had just annotated aren't even that big, but won't load anymore

Hi.  Are these images attached to a note?  What Evernote version do you have,  and can you sign in to the web version to see your notes there?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guy Terry said:

I have all updated versions of Evernote on both Macs but one is Intel and the other M1. I have also tried it from the web version and the same thing happens. I thought I had put that in the original post though.

Hi.  I was actually responding to the post after yours - have you updated to Evernote 10.64.5 on all your devices?  This latest release was only today I think...  download from http://evernote.com/download/ to update.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having this issue as well. Just tried this and it worked for me - in Settings, go to your profile, and under Account Summary>Evernote Web, click "Go back to previous version." Add the images you want in the "old" version and then switch back to the new version, and they should show up. Clunky solution, but working for me for now.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Clare James said:

Logging in on the web version is the same load of spinning circles as the app.

Hi.  Please confirm your device / OS / Evernote version and browser;  plus - how big are your picture files,  and do they display in Goodnotes?

• 2 months later...

Also having similar issue, and this is across the desktop and browser based versions.  I noticed it with one note in particular and not with other notes.  This occurred when pasting images from one note into another note.  Now seeing the spinning circles in this new note.  I'm wondering if this is an isolated episode specific to that note.

(I used to see more of the spinning circles before, with other notes a few weeks ago, and after a few minutes, Evernote would download the images.  With this current note it's not downloading.)

• 1 month later...

No one found a solution to this? I have taken screenshots and pasted into a note, but only 3 out of 20 shows, neither in desktop version, iPhone version or web version. Roll back to earlier version has saved twice before, but no earlier versions show for this note, though it has been added to over a couple of days.

This is in best case utterly frustrating, worst case completely crisis and showstopper for my 15 years as Evernote customer, when you cannot trust that your data is safe anymore. Evernote has really degraded the last 4-5 years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, moslien said:

No one found a solution to this?

AFAIK there isn't a situation that needs a solution.  The OP here had a spinning icon,  others get pictures showing after a short wait depending on source and size.  If you'd like some help,  please start out with the basics - device / OS / Evernote version,  plus image size and format - PNG JPG or HEIC?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, moslien said:

Windows 10: 10.68.2, small screenshot, png-format. But same issue on web and iPhone (17.2.1) with Evernote 10.58.1.

Sadly that's the worst possible response because there's no obvious reason why such an image added to one device would not sync across the account... :(  Maybe my iPhone colleagues can offer a guess... 

Ah, update did not show up App Store before now, but did not help.

Thanks for your attempts to help out, but I decided right now to leave Evernote for Obsidian, at least you there have control over the files. Evernote try what they can to avoid people leaving by introducing a max 100 notes selection, but worth the one time hazzle...

• Level 5

Sorry to say, but you seem to be running a weird AppStore. Between 10.58 and 10.62.2 there were probably 10 releases. Not showing … ?

About exporting: Do it by batches of 100, I won’t blame you being wrong again. People who know the app would export by notebook, without a limitation.

But as you say: You want control over your files, so it’s a good approach to count them 😵‍💫

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue, I potentially lost a very valuable amount of work for a customer of mine.

Images not loading in a specific note, on Desktop and Web alike. Images were orignally pasted in PNG in another note, then cut-pasted in the current note.

• Desktop version :10.70.2-mac-ddl-public (20240102101123)
  • Browser :Firefox 121.0

Very worrying that this problem has apparently been running for a long time without being fixed. Can I still trust this software with my data of should I switch to something more reliable where my work is not randomly erased?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi

19 minutes ago, Eguenat said:

Very worrying that this problem has apparently been running for a long time without being fixed.

We haven't exactly established that there is an issue here,  or that a fix is required.  The forums here are mainly supported by other users,  but I have no issue with images or older notes that I'm aware of.  You could try exporting that note to HTML to see whether the images are present,  but if you are unable to view them you need to contact Support - who were taking 10-12 days to respond before the Holiday period.

I'm also having this issue since being forced to update to the new Evernote today. I'm now using Evernote 10.68.3.

None of the images in my notes will load - just a perpetual spinning circle.

Before anyone gets defensive - yes I have contacted support and restarted my macbook pro etc and I have also checked my iphone app and Evernote for web - images won't load on any device since the update. 

If anyone knows how to fix this, please help!

You might just want to give things some time if, as it appears, you just upgraded to v 10.  The data format is different so it will likely take some time to uopdate your database.  There could be a problem - not unheard of - but it could also be that trying a bunch of stuff right now will just slow things down even more.

Vinnie

• Like 2

Hi, the images still won't load. I don't want to upgrade as the new version I have now is extremely slow. So much slower than the old version I had. Also the search bar is terrible.

Customer support didn't seem to even bother reading my email and sent me a generic response asking me to attach an image to a new note - which I had already explicitly explained was not an issue. 

Only the notes that I previously had saved as local notes seem to have this issue. The new Evernote forced me to upload and import them again for no reason at all and since then all the images won't load - does anyone know if this is fixable? I deal with a lot of images and this would be a total disaster. If I had known that my images weren't secure on Evernote I'd never have used it in the first place. 

I'm not a mac person, sorry, but there are other mac experts here who may chime in.  But the slowness that you refer to regarding v 10 often indicates a corrupt database on your local client.  Have you followed the advice of @gazumped to reinstall?  And he is referring to a >complete reinstall.  Simply using the normal uninstall will likely not be good enough.  Use Appcleaner.  Then reinstall Evernote from the Evernote website, not from the Apple store.  There are lots of notes in the forum that describe this in more detail.  Maybe wait to see if any Mac experts have any alternate suggestions.

The legacy versions are no longer supported by Evernote and if you search around the forum you will see that others are also reporting some sync issues.  

Vinnie

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, Booboo said:

None of the images in my notes will load - just a perpetual spinning circle.

Also, how long have you waited since installing v10?  Depending on the size of your database it can take some time to settle in.  Also, there is a note conversion process that occurs when accessing notes for the first time on v10, which slows it down as well.

• 4 weeks later...

This is really upsetting. And it has been a longstanding issue with Evernote - I've been through it before already when copying and pasting images from one note to another. Gosh, I guess I've lost a couple of days of intense work just because of this bug. It's unbeliavable. I'm seriously considering changing the note app after this. Don't they read this forum? Hello, @evernote.

image.png.87d8a8478dfa5cee2b5000b0d72a1a15.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, omaverick said:

Don't they read this forum? Hello, @evernote.

No, they don't, mostly only other users here.  If you want this looked at you will need to submit a support ticket.

A follow-up on my situation: After all the despair, I turned off my computer, and when I turned it back on the following morning, the images were all back there. Wonderful news! I was getting distraught. See (compared with the previous image):

image.png.6c1f5577f3e27f00a74b1386d2b27e5b.png

Another thing: Evernote replied to my request with the following instructions (which I did not need to use since all the images were there after a night of Evernote sleeping on it). Here it is:

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you've been facing and we'd be pleased to help you out. Before proceeding with further investigations, we suggest carrying out the following steps, as they'll help us better isolate the issue and rule out any of the following root causes. If you have already followed them, feel free to give them another try.

• The Operating system requirements for Evernote have been updated recently. Please check the article to see if your device is still compatible.

• Make sure you’re using a strong Internet connection, possibly trying to switch from cellular to Wi-Fi and vice-versa or switching to a different network

• Restart your device. A simple restart can fix some errors.

• If you are using Evernote Web, make sure is browser is updated, relaunch your browser and try to switch to a different one. We also suggest to clear the browser's cache.

• Make sure the app is updated to its very latest version. Here’s how to check for updates and download the latest available version.

• Sign out and sign back into your Evernote account.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

This is a pretty good initial help script but they should include removing with Appcleaner/Revo and direct downloading from their website.  We know their support is aware of it since I saw it quoted elsewhere.  Maybe they save that for the second round?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just started happening again today.....trying to put together an outline for a presentation. Can't get the pictures on either desktop or web version. Fortunately these pictures are also in another note.

image.png.bc34a1c4526c39f6a87af776b6f03784.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guy Terry said:

Just started happening again today

Hi.  You seem to have reported this issue in July and August last year,  and now 8 months later in April 2024 it's happening 'again'?  This sounds more like a connection issue than something connected with your account.  What fixed it the last two times?

...lack of need for the notes that it messed up last time. I think that they were personal in nature or something I'm not using these days. I don't remember what they were off the top of my head, and since I'm now heavy into a PhD, I haven't had time to sort through all of my notes to see which ones had this problem last time. If I had known the problem wouldn't be solved a year later, I would have taken more care to flag those notes. I was new to Evernote then. These current notes are right in the middle of what I'm doing for the next week and my screen clips have references I can use to search for them, and fortunately I have the same pics pasted in another note. I was trying to consolidate some other notes I made and put them into an outline for a presentation. Since I have the authors of the papers I'm referencing and a spinning thing, I know to pull up that reference to pull the pics that I need for the presentation. Unless they suddenly re-appear. I don't have time to do Evernote's work for them.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Guy Terry said:

I don't have time to do Evernote's work for them.

A few users here have complained about missing content.  The reaction has mostly been that they appear to be a small minority.  I've had no issues adding images to notes or viewing attached files.  We're mainly other users,  but if you'd like some assistance to investigate how and why this happened please let us know your device and OS / Evernote version numbers.  Have you been using v10 for some time?

If your attached images remain unavailable you should also contact Support via https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us

• Like 1

I had problems with images not showing yesterday (EN desktop and EN android). But it seems to work fine (hmmm, a bit slow maybe) today.

Have also been experiencing this occasionally before. Not missing content permanently, as images seem to show up again at some point later.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, janndk said:

Have also been experiencing this occasionally before. Not missing content permanently, as images seem to show up again at some point later.

Images specifically, or attachments in general?

31 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Images specifically, or attachments in general?

Images specifically.

I don't use so much other types of attachments (which unfortunately have their own challenges --> "Untitled Attachment" when exporting notes as pdf). 

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, janndk said:

Images specifically.

I don't use so much other types of attachments (which unfortunately have their own challenges --> "Untitled Attachment" when exporting notes as pdf). 

Ok, I’m the opposite, mostly pdfs and few images.  I wonder if they treat images/attachment as metadata or as note content?  They are working on their metadata sync (Rent) and if attachments are considered metadata then I’m holding out hope this will be fixed when they implement the new system.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been happening to me as well over the past couple of days, perhaps around the time I updated to 10.85.4 (Windows desktop). Spinning circles that never resolve, even though the image appeared when I first added it. I had to resort to recreating the note in a different app in case these images don't reappear, as I will definitely need them in the near future.

• Level 5*
On 4/23/2024 at 1:25 PM, thefryhole said:

Spinning circles that never resolve

Sounds like a bad update.  Have you tried an uninstall using Appcleaner and then a reinstall from the Evernote website?

15 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Sounds like a bad update.  Have you tried an uninstall using Appcleaner and then a reinstall from the Evernote website?

What happens to all the unsynced content in that process? An uninstall sounds like it would wipe all that, is that correct?

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

What happens to all the unsynced content in that process? An uninstall sounds like it would wipe all that, is that correct?

Yes, if you have unsynced content you will lose it.  Export anything that hasn’t been synced to enex files.  Then when you have a new installation import those files back in.

Thank you for confirming how it works.

I have no way to know what's been synced and what hasn't, so I'll need to cut my losses on whatever is gone and try to recreate those notes later if possible. Rather than risking additional sync errors that increase the number of notes lost or receiving new updates that further compound the issue, I'll just close Evernote and won't add anything to it until I have a block of time in the next few weeks to go through the uninstall/reinstall process.

I appreciate your description of the process, it's very helpful.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

I have no way to know what's been synced and what hasn't

If you know about when syncing stopped, as a thought, how about sorting by creation date?  Move those in the date range of interest into a new notebook and then export that notebook.

Syncing hasn't stopped, at least not most of it. Heck, this might not be a sync issue at all, who knows. I added a note with an image late yesterday and it synced fine. So far I've discovered 2 notes affected by the same problem but there's no way to be sure they are the earliest/latest/only instances. Both appeared fine when I first added the images. It was only upon returning to them later that I saw the previously intact images had been replaced with spinning circles.

If a clean reinstall is the recommended fix, then I'll do that once I have time. If I continue to encounter corrupt notes post-install, I will just need to hope they either weren't as important as I thought they were or that I can remember where else the missing bits might be available so I can recreate them.

• Level 5*

To confirm exactly what is in your account, use the web app.  You may be able to compare notes there with those in your desktop app to see which may have problems.  Good luck.

Is there perhaps a de-duplication script that can run between the web and desktop apps? Because if not, I'm afraid I don't see how looking at the web app will be useful. I already confirmed the 2 corrupted desktop notes are also broken in the web app, which seems to be a commonly recommended troubleshooting step. Checking through my remaining 8k notes one by one is not going to happen, either on desktop or on the web. At this point, I think it's simply a case of hoping that additional issues don't pop up and finding workarounds for them if they do. At least if someone finds this thread when searching for a solution to their own problems with missing images, it might give them some ideas about where to go next.

Thanks again.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

I already confirmed the 2 corrupted desktop notes are also broken in the web app

Ok.  There is no compare script available that I'm aware of.

• I am also having issues with embedded screen shot images not loading on both desktop (Win10-PC) as well as in the Web app. Just getting the spinning circle where the image is supposed to be.
  • Just started happening with update to 10.86.4... or it might have started with my updated 10.85.4 and I just hadn't seen it happen yet.
  • Now when I try to upload an image, I get this error dialog box..
    • image.png.c52c8fd2f7825e7799f1a322bb6e2a78.png
  • And... the "Open containing folder" link takes me to this folder set on my Desktop where the "failed" uploads end up...
    • image.png.dfbccf0a19db6d9098e572f20209f582.png
  • Any input would be greatly appreciated. I rely heavily on screen shots to build out most all of my notes.
  • Like 1
On 4/24/2024 at 10:27 PM, s2sailor said:

To confirm exactly what is in your account, use the web app.

I had this issue now for at least 3 random notes - in Windows EN10.86.4 app (downloaded directly) AND in Web app 😡. I corrected the note by re-inserting the images from an older save (THX to my Legacy installation 😉). Next time I'll submit a ticket...

BUT: From my point of view it's a horror scenario if images (and other attachments also?) go lost with EN10.
Before announcing and releasing any new feature EN should really work on the stability of the current version 🙏.

• Level 5*

I wonder if this is more affecting those that migrated to v10 after RTE was implemented, than those that migrated earlier?  Just speculating …

I have just discovered now that this problem goes beyond just embedded images... it is all files... including PDF and DOCX files. Everything gets sent to my "Failed Uploads" folder.

image.png.4bcbd6124ea6aaf1a745546a76055587.png

I even tried uploading images directly to the new "Files" tab in the EV app... thinking that maybe if I can get the attachments into my database, I could maybe then add them to a note in a round about way... no luck. All of my attempts at uploading files directly, also get sent to my "Failed Uploads" folder. Arghhh... very frustrating!

image.png.d9d2207b6b2c7b86f74ec5b80eb01c00.png

If anyone can provide any insights and ideas for me, that would be greatly appreciated. All this makes me realize how dependent I am on this very basic feature of Evernote. Losing this functionality would actually make it impossible for me to continue.

On a sidenote, if anyone from BendingSpoons is listening, I did not even try to submit a ticket for this incident because of how poorly my last attempt went in trying to go that route with another incident. That being said, I'm pretty sure this is the type of issue that we should be able to take up directly with a strong technical support team that can hopefully provide quick advice on how to find fixes as quickly as possible (IMO).

I have this issue as well , copying images from one note and pasting to another causes spinning images as if they are not loading , this error has occurred only since the latest update of evernote via the 'files' tab which is causing major issue for heavy users with plenty of images and documents, please help and fix this. 

using evernote desktop 10.82.2 march 29th Version to fend off this issue, newer version which have the 'file' tab are causing the spinning images when copying and pasting

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, DougLietz said:

I'm pretty sure this is the type of issue that we should be able to take up directly with a strong technical support team that can hopefully provide quick advice on how to find fixes as quickly as possible (IMO).

No disagreement here;  however,  we are where we are...

I'd suggest a 'clean' reinstall - sign out of Evernote / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data files and indexes.  It's usable but initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

Regardless of how your last experience went - if Evernote don't know about it,  they can't fix it - so please do contact Support and wait for a response...

@dannydu - see above!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

No disagreement here;  however,  we are where we are...

I'd suggest a 'clean' reinstall - sign out of Evernote / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data files and indexes.  It's usable but initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

Regardless of how your last experience went - if Evernote don't know about it,  they can't fix it - so please do contact Support and wait for a response...

@dannydu - see above!

Hi thanks for your reply, 

will try this , issue is also on Evernote WEB which is what I mainly work on, regarding support , my experience is that posting in the forums help more, technical support take a while to reply and often just answer me with a generic answer , the file 'tab' also does not work for me on web since I have probably many images and it fails to show them all . 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dannydu said:

... copying images from one note and pasting to another causes spinning images as if they are not loading ...

Hmm, sounds like a good idea - but is not repeatable on my site 🤔

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'd suggest a 'clean' reinstall - sign out of Evernote / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.

To be honest: I can't hear that suggestion any more... If the images are lost they're also lost in Web version. So it's not a kind of an incomplete download. Seems like a problem of uploading the images...

A software vendor should work on his site to avoid such situations. With all of his power. No new feature can solve showstoppers.

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

A software vendor should work on his site to avoid such situations.

Few user seem to be experiencing this,  and even fewer (I'd guess) are probably telling Evernote that it's an issue. If they don't know there's anything to fix...

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

even fewer (I'd guess) are probably telling Evernote that it's an issue.

Even ONE ticket should be enough to get in action on data loss events.
And if EN does not respond here - it might be a very good idea for them to read here (and in other media). I cannot believe they don't. 

21 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I wonder if this is more affecting those that migrated to v10 after RTE was implemented, than those that migrated earlier?  Just speculating …

Just for clarity in case EN actually decides to look into the matter: I've been on v10 since it was released so the data lost in my account is unrelated to the switch to RTE. And yes, the images that turned into spinning circles appear to be well and truly lost. Not available on desktop, not available on the web, and not appearing in any of the earlier versions of the note that I tried to restore.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Even ONE ticket should be enough to get in action on data loss events.

1 minute ago, thefryhole said:

in case EN actually decides to look into the matter:

The only way to get a company started on a bug hunt is to raise a support request.  The topics that generate the most requests get the most attention.  In this case we have  a small number of reports from some users with (presumably) a wide range of operating systems and Evernote versions.  It will get attention,  but only if those users are prepared to help with reports and information. 

Meantime other users with their own particular issues want their bugs fixed too...

22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The only way to get a company started on a bug hunt is to raise a support request. 

Yep - to start a bug hunt. But hunting includes to gather information from all available sources like a sniffing dog. Here are many users that have ideas around a problem - and some others who are willing to check out things (like supporter/developers hopefully do). But they do not submit tickets for that.

36 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

...  not appearing in any of the earlier versions of the note that I tried to restore

I checked it with my history records: Alle of the notes from history contained the failty images - but the note in question was created before 9 days (20.04.24) and I updated to EN10.86.4 on 24.04.24). Unfortunately I don't know the used version before 😞

But: Loosing the images is not a problem of EN10.86.4 - it has been introduced before...

13 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

I checked it with my history records: Alle of the notes from history contained the failty images - but the note in question was created before 9 days (20.04.24) and I updated to EN10.86.4 on 24.04.24). Unfortunately I don't know the used version before 😞

But: Loosing the images is not a problem of EN10.86.4 - it has been introduced before...

the issue is not disappearing images , but spinning images , when copying an image from note 1 to note 2 , via control c control v , and pasting it in note 2 , you would see a spinning circle of that image . you need to 'leave' the note and return to it , as at first the image 'seems' pasted , but its not ...only happens in latest version of evernote web and desktop , due to the imo 'files' tab. 

in any case I have raised it with support and as of now cannot work with evernote latest versions , btw snipping an image and pasting does work, but copy paste does not

2 minutes ago, dannydu said:

<the issue is when> copying an image from note 1 to note 2 , ... due to the imo 'files' tab.

OK - not on my site. So we've at least two cases.

Files tab is implemented as an additional index to all attachments EN finds in a database (which in turn is the reason that you cannot add something only to the "Files"). Before adding something to an index, it must be present. If it's not (or faulty), you cannot find the in Files (or faulty).

A problem with copying images is more realistic: In my case, I copied the images from a forum post (which in turn is simply a web site). But I tried to repeat this - no problem. So I have no reproducable cause. Only at least one buggy note in my history 🤔. But I've fear that there are other notes with the same problem... 😤

I'm the one that re-opened this can of worms yesterday, and wanted to thank everyone who responded with insights.

I wasn't prepared to do the complete database rebuild thing since there was issues in my web app as well as on desktop.... and... I am not too keen on running the risk of losing ANY of my valuable data.

That being said, what I did do on the off chance that it might help, was download the latest 10.86.4 exe file and re-installed it over top of my existing 10.86.4 version. This seems to have "patched" everything up... both on my desktop app as well as in the web app.

So at this point, all is working normally for me again.

• Like 2

Can confirm that this bug has been fixed via 10.86.5 , reinstalled the evernote desktop , and web was fixed as well , no more spinning images for now :)

However would just state that in my 'files' tab , I do not see all my files , maybe since I have hundreds of files ,  wonder if this is the case for others 

12 hours ago, DougLietz said:

I'm the one that re-opened this can of worms yesterday, and wanted to thank everyone who responded with insights.

I wasn't prepared to do the complete database rebuild thing since there was issues in my web app as well as on desktop.... and... I am not too keen on running the risk of losing ANY of my valuable data.

That being said, what I did do on the off chance that it might help, was download the latest 10.86.4 exe file and re-installed it over top of my existing 10.86.4 version. This seems to have "patched" everything up... both on my desktop app as well as in the web app.

So at this point, all is working normally for me again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, dannydu said:

in my 'files' tab , I do not see all my files , maybe since I have hundreds of files ,  wonder if this is the case for others

Yeah - 'Files' is a work-in-progress (I hope..)

Guessing that Evernote has to keep an index somewhere of the physical location of all the attachments it holds,  and someone thought "I bet it would be useful if users could see this..." without thinking that some of us have a lot of attachments!

• Level 5*

I’m guessing they may not have considered all of the webpage junk that gets downloaded when you do web clipping.  I have 50,000 “files” but only 4000 documents.  Some ways to filter the images tab would be helpful.

issue has returned of spinning images on evernote web only , as of 10AM GMT :( 

this issue is also occurs when uploading to evernote web an enx file , the images appear spinning 

probably a new update again

I'm also seeing the "spinning images" issue (Evernote 10.86.8-mac). The note in question has dozens of images, interspersed with text. I know the images were there and fine a few days ago; today when I opened the note, several were missing, replaced by the "spinning" icons. I saw the spinning icons on 2 different Evernote installs on two different machines, as well as the web version.

Another possibly-related issue: I wanted to split one large note (with text and 200+ images) into 2 smaller ones. I did a "duplicate" on the first note and wanted to go into the duplicate and delete the portion I didn't want in that note. Problem is: the duplicate note has NONE of the images present in the original - they are ALL the spinning icon.

This is beyond frustrating. Evernote 6 could handle things like this 100% fine -- I have never had this level of problems in 12+ years of using the software. Instead of just effortlessly using the software as I used to, I spend hours every day trying to figure out where my data has gone.