Images aren't loading on the Desktop version

I take a lot of screenshots when I work, and dorp them into Evernote. This morning, none of my images are loading. I get a spinning circle that never resolves. 

This is a deal breaker, and given that Evernote doesn't allow users to actually contact anyone for support... here I am. 

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 10.53.13 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

From how it looks the local database has taken a shot. You can try this:

1. Go to the Evernote menu, Preferences, and uncheck „Keep data when leaving“
  2. Log out of EN (File menu), quit EN (cmd-q). When asked confirm "Remove Data from This Device".
  3. If you want to be very sure, restart the Mac
  4. Open EN, log back in, wait for it to run an initial sync. 
  5. Let the initial download run, and leave the app open. It will take a while to download the full content, for offline use.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't have a solution, but I wanted to share that I have exactly the same issue, and while I briefly panicked (I have > 12,000 notes, so many, many thousand images), I realised that I can see the attachments on my iphone and on the Web client, so I know that my data isn't lost. But it's still profoundly disconcerting that I can't see any of it on the desktop version of the app (I'm using a macbook).

• Like 3

I have exact same issue, can't see some of the images from a lot of my notes on desktop version, iOS version, or web version, I'm very concerned, not sure how to fix it, I really need to see these images as soon as possible and I don't have a way to look at them now...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I seem to have the same issue. I'm on version 10.58.8 downloaded from Evernote not from the appstore. 

I've done all that was suggested above, including restarting my Mac (MacBook Air) to no avail.  I still have this annoying endless rotating circle. 

The images are PNG (I've seen JPGs not rendering but being saved in a local location before, this is not the case). I'm concerned because I've captured these images from my screen and I have no way of recapturing them.

On a more general note, sometimes I capture PNGs and don't have the time to turn them into JPG. Does EN not support PNG? 

image.png.42b314880ae215cf84cc79fe9bdba98d.png

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue would be highly appreciated. 

I tried what was mentioned in this thread and it did not work. This a huge issue that is very anxiety inducing when considering all the valuable images I could lose if they never load again. In my specific case, images don't load on desktop, web, nor iOS.

• Like 1

I also have this issue of images not loading in existing notes. It impedes my productivity. And it erodes my trust in this product. Will official instructions be posted or an update released to resolve this issue soon?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem and I'm using the web version, Chrome as the browser, iMac, and also occurs on my MBAir using the app. I've previously had to delete the photo and start over, and I've learned that whenever possible to copy text rather than use a screen clip as this function (using images in Evernote) is not reliable.

Unfortunately as I was trialing Evernote, I accidentally imported a large pdf, so in order to try it longer than one day I had to purchase it for a year.

Disappointed in this particular function - and the fact that no one has addressed it despite it being a known issue for months - but I need true offline functionality so this is all that there is available at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, Kelly Flanagan said:

Images I had just annotated aren't even that big, but won't load anymore

Hi.  Are these images attached to a note?  What Evernote version do you have,  and can you sign in to the web version to see your notes there?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guy Terry said:

I have all updated versions of Evernote on both Macs but one is Intel and the other M1. I have also tried it from the web version and the same thing happens. I thought I had put that in the original post though.

Hi.  I was actually responding to the post after yours - have you updated to Evernote 10.64.5 on all your devices?  This latest release was only today I think...  download from http://evernote.com/download/ to update.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having this issue as well. Just tried this and it worked for me - in Settings, go to your profile, and under Account Summary>Evernote Web, click "Go back to previous version." Add the images you want in the "old" version and then switch back to the new version, and they should show up. Clunky solution, but working for me for now.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Clare James said:

Logging in on the web version is the same load of spinning circles as the app.

Hi.  Please confirm your device / OS / Evernote version and browser;  plus - how big are your picture files,  and do they display in Goodnotes?

• 2 months later...

Also having similar issue, and this is across the desktop and browser based versions.  I noticed it with one note in particular and not with other notes.  This occurred when pasting images from one note into another note.  Now seeing the spinning circles in this new note.  I'm wondering if this is an isolated episode specific to that note.

(I used to see more of the spinning circles before, with other notes a few weeks ago, and after a few minutes, Evernote would download the images.  With this current note it's not downloading.)

• 1 month later...

No one found a solution to this? I have taken screenshots and pasted into a note, but only 3 out of 20 shows, neither in desktop version, iPhone version or web version. Roll back to earlier version has saved twice before, but no earlier versions show for this note, though it has been added to over a couple of days.

This is in best case utterly frustrating, worst case completely crisis and showstopper for my 15 years as Evernote customer, when you cannot trust that your data is safe anymore. Evernote has really degraded the last 4-5 years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, moslien said:

No one found a solution to this?

AFAIK there isn't a situation that needs a solution.  The OP here had a spinning icon,  others get pictures showing after a short wait depending on source and size.  If you'd like some help,  please start out with the basics - device / OS / Evernote version,  plus image size and format - PNG JPG or HEIC?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, moslien said:

Windows 10: 10.68.2, small screenshot, png-format. But same issue on web and iPhone (17.2.1) with Evernote 10.58.1.

Sadly that's the worst possible response because there's no obvious reason why such an image added to one device would not sync across the account... :(  Maybe my iPhone colleagues can offer a guess... 

Ah, update did not show up App Store before now, but did not help.

Thanks for your attempts to help out, but I decided right now to leave Evernote for Obsidian, at least you there have control over the files. Evernote try what they can to avoid people leaving by introducing a max 100 notes selection, but worth the one time hazzle...

• Level 5

Sorry to say, but you seem to be running a weird AppStore. Between 10.58 and 10.62.2 there were probably 10 releases. Not showing … ?

About exporting: Do it by batches of 100, I won’t blame you being wrong again. People who know the app would export by notebook, without a limitation.

But as you say: You want control over your files, so it’s a good approach to count them 😵‍💫

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue, I potentially lost a very valuable amount of work for a customer of mine.

Images not loading in a specific note, on Desktop and Web alike. Images were orignally pasted in PNG in another note, then cut-pasted in the current note.

• Desktop version :10.70.2-mac-ddl-public (20240102101123)
  • Browser :Firefox 121.0

Very worrying that this problem has apparently been running for a long time without being fixed. Can I still trust this software with my data of should I switch to something more reliable where my work is not randomly erased?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi

19 minutes ago, Eguenat said:

Very worrying that this problem has apparently been running for a long time without being fixed.

We haven't exactly established that there is an issue here,  or that a fix is required.  The forums here are mainly supported by other users,  but I have no issue with images or older notes that I'm aware of.  You could try exporting that note to HTML to see whether the images are present,  but if you are unable to view them you need to contact Support - who were taking 10-12 days to respond before the Holiday period.

I'm also having this issue since being forced to update to the new Evernote today. I'm now using Evernote 10.68.3.

None of the images in my notes will load - just a perpetual spinning circle.

Before anyone gets defensive - yes I have contacted support and restarted my macbook pro etc and I have also checked my iphone app and Evernote for web - images won't load on any device since the update. 

If anyone knows how to fix this, please help!

You might just want to give things some time if, as it appears, you just upgraded to v 10.  The data format is different so it will likely take some time to uopdate your database.  There could be a problem - not unheard of - but it could also be that trying a bunch of stuff right now will just slow things down even more.

Vinnie

• Like 2

Hi, the images still won't load. I don't want to upgrade as the new version I have now is extremely slow. So much slower than the old version I had. Also the search bar is terrible.

Customer support didn't seem to even bother reading my email and sent me a generic response asking me to attach an image to a new note - which I had already explicitly explained was not an issue. 

Only the notes that I previously had saved as local notes seem to have this issue. The new Evernote forced me to upload and import them again for no reason at all and since then all the images won't load - does anyone know if this is fixable? I deal with a lot of images and this would be a total disaster. If I had known that my images weren't secure on Evernote I'd never have used it in the first place. 

I'm not a mac person, sorry, but there are other mac experts here who may chime in.  But the slowness that you refer to regarding v 10 often indicates a corrupt database on your local client.  Have you followed the advice of @gazumped to reinstall?  And he is referring to a >complete reinstall.  Simply using the normal uninstall will likely not be good enough.  Use Appcleaner.  Then reinstall Evernote from the Evernote website, not from the Apple store.  There are lots of notes in the forum that describe this in more detail.  Maybe wait to see if any Mac experts have any alternate suggestions.

The legacy versions are no longer supported by Evernote and if you search around the forum you will see that others are also reporting some sync issues.  

Vinnie

• Level 5*
On 1/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, Booboo said:

None of the images in my notes will load - just a perpetual spinning circle.

Also, how long have you waited since installing v10?  Depending on the size of your database it can take some time to settle in.  Also, there is a note conversion process that occurs when accessing notes for the first time on v10, which slows it down as well.

• 4 weeks later...

This is really upsetting. And it has been a longstanding issue with Evernote - I've been through it before already when copying and pasting images from one note to another. Gosh, I guess I've lost a couple of days of intense work just because of this bug. It's unbeliavable. I'm seriously considering changing the note app after this. Don't they read this forum? Hello, @evernote.

image.png.87d8a8478dfa5cee2b5000b0d72a1a15.png

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, omaverick said:

Don't they read this forum? Hello, @evernote.

No, they don't, mostly only other users here.  If you want this looked at you will need to submit a support ticket.

A follow-up on my situation: After all the despair, I turned off my computer, and when I turned it back on the following morning, the images were all back there. Wonderful news! I was getting distraught. See (compared with the previous image):

image.png.6c1f5577f3e27f00a74b1386d2b27e5b.png

Another thing: Evernote replied to my request with the following instructions (which I did not need to use since all the images were there after a night of Evernote sleeping on it). Here it is:

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you've been facing and we'd be pleased to help you out. Before proceeding with further investigations, we suggest carrying out the following steps, as they'll help us better isolate the issue and rule out any of the following root causes. If you have already followed them, feel free to give them another try.

• The Operating system requirements for Evernote have been updated recently. Please check the article to see if your device is still compatible.

• Make sure you’re using a strong Internet connection, possibly trying to switch from cellular to Wi-Fi and vice-versa or switching to a different network

• Restart your device. A simple restart can fix some errors.

• If you are using Evernote Web, make sure is browser is updated, relaunch your browser and try to switch to a different one. We also suggest to clear the browser's cache.

• Make sure the app is updated to its very latest version. Here’s how to check for updates and download the latest available version.

• Sign out and sign back into your Evernote account.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

This is a pretty good initial help script but they should include removing with Appcleaner/Revo and direct downloading from their website.  We know their support is aware of it since I saw it quoted elsewhere.  Maybe they save that for the second round?

• 1 month later...