• Level 5*

Hi.  I've been using Evernote for around 15 years and have 60,000+ notes and my database is just over 30GB = 31,457,280 KB if your storage is over twice that,  you have a LOT of content!  You have two choices - you can ask Evernote to dump the database so it's not in permanent storage (see below) - or you can find out how to apply symbolic links to convince Evernote that it's still dealing with the default location while connecting with another local device.

Screenshot2023-02-26180455.png.ae3136b0d50f336729c2515d90aa0bcb.png

On Windows, symbolic links to folders can be defined by using MKLINK command in a DOS-Box with Administrator rights. Main part of Evernote's local data is stored in folder C:\Users\<your-login-name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache. Here you will find a folder called User<ID> whereas "ID" is a unique identifier of your EN account.

You may move this folder to an other drive by...
  • Stop Evernote (File -> Exit)
  • in Explorer:
    • create a destination folder on an other drive (i.e. Q:\Appdata\Evernote - was my choice)
    • navigate to C:\Users\<your-login-name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache
    • mark folder User<ID>
    • type Ctrl-X
    • navigate to you destination folder
    • type Ctrl-V
  • wait some time until all data is moved
    • folder ...\resource-cache is empty now...
  • start a CMD window in Administrator mode by
    • hit <Windows> key and type CMD
    • Right-Click on app icon and select "Start as Administrator"
  • in CMD window type
    • CD C:\Users\<your-login-name>\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache
    • MKLINK /D User<ID> Q:\Appdata\Evernote\User<ID>
    • EXIT
  • Restart Evernote
I tried this by myself and moved my 12 GB of EN's local cache from system drive C:\ to my local drive Q:\.
But keep in mind: this is not a supported way of Evernote. Former versions ("Legacy") offered supported settings to relocate the local cache - much more convinient to users 😉
  • Like 5
  • 3 months later...

This is ridiculous that you still have to do this workaround (thanks for providing it) to change where the data is kept. Especially when it used to be so easy!

I'm seriously considering moving away from Evernote, it's just so frustrating, and each update seems to add more frustrations and fail to address long-standing problems. Any suggestions? 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

About moving the database: Wait until the official option appears in the app settings. It is announced to show up in one of the next releases.

In general: They have already solved some long running issues. You won’t ever see every issue solved - this is plain impossible, starting with the definition of an issue. What some see as an issue, others are neutral about, and some more think „what a nice feature“.

It's been missing for a matter of years, I'm not holding my breath!

I understand that, and I'm absolutely speaking from my experience, and I've been with Evernote for a long time (since 2012). I wish for the good old days of Infoselect!!

6 hours ago, KatharineS said:

I wish for the good old days of Infoselect!!

Wow - there's a blast from the past!

I think Info select is the program that started me on this software adventure decades ago. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning :)

• Like 1
On 6/28/2023 at 12:52 AM, CentralAla said:

Wow - there's a blast from the past!

I think Info select is the program that started me on this software adventure decades ago. Thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning :)

I used to love how it showed you graphically how many matches your search had, with the little red squares getting fewer and fewer as you drilled down more and more with the search terms.

And also proper folder structure - I know there's other ways to do things (tags etc), but I do like to have actual folders to drag the notes into.

Apologies but from my understanding it's very easy to move the database to a different drive using Evernote. You can accomplish this by following these steps:

1. Open Evernote and go to Tools.
2. Select Options and navigate to the General tab.
3. Locate the "Evernote Local Files" section.
4. Modify the path to the desired location on a different drive.

By performing these steps, you can transfer your Evernote database to another HDD that offers more storage capacity. I hope this clarifies the process and proves helpful to you.

local.jpg

Hi Agsteele

Thanks for pointing this out. So users who are on v10 are unable to do so ? This option is not available ? 

Can I ask you please, I presume there is a difference between Legacy versions ? I've never heard of deprecated Legacy

Thank you.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, KoZz said:

I've never heard of deprecated Legacy

"Deprecated" in IT terms means abandoned / unsupported / no further updates.  Evernote continues as v10 and for the moment content remains -mostly- compatible with the older version (apart from new features like Tasks and Calendar).  Some OS and browser changes are already limiting the app's performance,  and Evernote is doing extra work to maintain the compatbility;  but sooner or later the number of remaining legacy users will decline to a point when it's no longer in the company's interests to do so.

Meantime Desktop settings in v10 allow users to opt not to retain a local copy of data on the device (mobile apps already default that way) although it does mean that offline working is not available.  It is possible to use symbolic links ("Symlinks") to move Evernote's data to another location,  and Evernote say that they will be introducing a 'move database' option "soon" (although Evernote often don't seem to have the same definition for that word as we do).

• Like 1

If the day comes that I am forced to move to v10 without EN implementing features I use daily, then I'm afraid I'm not going to know what to do.

OneNote springs to mind but I've never used it and I've told everyone about EN - I onboarded so many people. I've used Evernote daily since 2014 so I'm major worried about the new update and lack of functionality.

To be honest, I think I should create a topic and highlight what I have found is missing in v10.

From memory and this really annoyed me, I was unable to right click a PDF say in EN and click on open with. Open with wasn't an option.. Also, I don't think you can modify date/time stamps of individual notes which I constantly do in legacy to keep things streamlined and organsied.

In addition, it was just so sluggish I gave up and not being able to export all notes (backup) into respective notebooks via a batch export which we are currently discussing in another thread just upset too much.

It made think what else is missing. I use this productivity and just what I've mentioned which is missing hinders my ability to remain fully productive.

Is there a thread on here which discusses and compares features from Legacy v6x and v10?

30 minutes ago, KoZz said:

Is there a thread on here which discusses and compares features from Legacy v6x and v10?

Yes - there are many. I was about to copy the URL for several, but since there are so many you will be better served by just using this google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Adiscussion.evernote.com+missing+features

Lots of people are in this same predicament: there are very many features from Legacy that are core to their workflow that did not make their way back into v10. Some features have made it back since the introduction of v10, but my guess is that most of the remaining missing features will not be coming back.

(FWIW - there are at least a couple of features that I relied on from Legacy that I've had to make due without and adjust the way I work with Evernote.)

The decision as I see it is now thus: is v10 closer to Legacy than other products out there and the better choice? Or is now the time to move to a different product?

I don't think any amount of explaining or wishing or complaining in the forums will bring the Legacy features back. One can try of course, but I'd plan on nothing coming of it. (Having said that, Evernote is recently under new management. Perhaps Bending Spoons will be more open to implementing at least a few of them to try and win some more Legacy hold-outs over (and to also improve the product, of course)).

Better to figure out how to work within the boundaries of v10 or find a different product that better fits a person's use case.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
6 hours ago, KoZz said:

Thanks for pointing this out. So users who are on v10 are unable to do so ? This option is not available ? 

Can I ask you please, I presume there is a difference between Legacy versions ? I've never heard of deprecated Legacy

Correct, v10 does not, currently, support the option to change data storage location. The last release for the desktop included a promise that this would be coming. Until then it is possible to achieve via the OS. Search the forums for Symlink.

The Legacy software is no longer supported. It's not subject to any fixes. It is being allowed to wither away. We anticipate it will die within the next year. There is no Legacy that is supported. It is all deprecated.

You also mention opening PDFs. The desktop v10 allows right click / open. I use it all the time. You can also modify created date/time. The updated timestamp is not amendable because it would simply be changed as soon as you made any changes to a note.

• Like 1

I'm sure I had problems with right clicking on a PDF and selecting "open with"

You can right click and open but it doesn't allow you to open with?   Sometimes I have to make changes to a PDF or redact info and I can simply right click and open with and select Adobe which I only use for editing and I use PDF xchange which is default and fast for viewing purposes only.

If if then save to the original location , the file is updated all within Evernote. Fantastic. 

Also, Legacy does allow me to change the update date/time stamp field so I modify these regularly to keep things in sync with the creation date , thus keeping my notes even more organised , without this , I'm doomed and it's just the way I work.

I'm just tyring to remember other issues. To be honest, I didn't use v10 for very long. It was too slow and it really scared me.

I also have a folder on my desktop called Add to Evernote whereby I simply drag and drop files into it and they are pulled into Evernote.. This functionality vanished as well.

Personally I'm extremely worried !

I made a commitment to going paperless in 2014 and using Evernote as my tool of choice and have been so happy with it's features thus far.

My entire LIFE's work personal and work reside in Evernote and v10 has cause me to become very concerned.. It's seriously flawed and it isn't only myself who is expressing deep dissatisfaction - I've stumbled across so much in this forum alone which is mind blowing. 

I truly hope that the team does not phase out Evernote legacy. There is nothing wrong with the application , it just works as expected and I'm perplexed as to how a tech company can release and upgrade and ditch vital features / functionality, it simply doesn't make sense.

I've reached out to support via email today to clarify what their stance is in relation to the future use of Legacy because we won't be happy if forced to migrate to sluggish v10 which lacks functionality which we have become so dependant upon. 

It also begs the question - what if - I had spent more time with app would else would I have uncovered. I only use it for a very brief moment and once I saw there were issues I simply reverted back immediately.

open-with.jpg

updated.jpg

• Level 5

It will use the default app for PDFs, as defined in the system.

If you want to use a different program, use „Save“ and open it from that location.

No idea why „Open with“ is missing. I can just assume that not all apps cooperate with an Electron based app. So they reduce the options to make sure everything works.

No problem for Mac users: It will use the MacOS Preview app, which has plenty of annotation, signing and editing options. It will seamlessly save back into the note - you can see the preview in EN change while you are editing. „Close Window“ makes a final save, and returns from Preview to the EN note.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
30 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I'm sure I had problems with right clicking on a PDF and selecting "open with"

You are correct 'Open With' isn't on offer.

As for the Update timestamp. I fear, to use your own words, you are 'doomed'. I don't see an update date edit option being available. It would simply be too difficult to sustain since so many actions update the notes date/time.

By all means suggest it via a support ticket or feedback but I wouldn't anticipate a change to the current way of working.

Let us know what support says about the future of Legacy.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I only use it for a very brief moment

If you just installed and started using,  you may still have been in the set-up period where Evernote was establishing search indexes and generally setting up shop.  I really do recommend you at least install v10 alongside Legacy,  give it a few houirs to settle in,  and then try it out for a day.

One of the certainties in life is that Legacy will stop someday "soon" for varying values of that word.  Your browser or your OS will update,  or Evernote will introduce a new feature that simply is no longer compatible;  and Legacy being 'deprecated' means there will be no fixes.  It will eventually be an expensive white elephant that Evernote have to close down.

At least if you start using the new application you will encounter all the issues that affect your workflow,  and you'll be able to raise them with the company and maybe find workarounds.

21 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I also have a folder on my desktop called Add to Evernote

This one,  forinstance, doesn't need a workaround - Import Folders are still a thing...

PDF files do only have an 'open' option and the default app for that purpose is set by Windows - it's not easy to swop,  so you'd be better using the same app both to read and edit;  the other option is to save the attachment to the desktop (where there is an "open with" choice).  There you can change the name of the file,  which changes the name in Evernote,  and then re-attach it to your note.  Note History will give you older copies of that note and the attached file if you want to review any changes.

At this stage your choices really are to stick with Legacy in hopes it continues past the end of this year - but with the possibility that one system change or another will stop it working unexpectedly;  or to work with v10 and try to adapt your style to suit.

And yes - before anyone else pops up to remind us - of course there are other providers out there who seem to have loyal followers claiming that the new players are far better than Evernote.  If you can find one that fits your needs you can make a change.  Entirely your choice - but it's also a serious risk...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

If you just installed and started using,  you may still have been in the set-up period where Evernote was establishing search indexes and generally setting up shop.  I really do recommend you at least install v10 alongside Legacy,  give it a few houirs to settle in,  and then try it out for a day.

One of the certainties in life is that Legacy will stop someday "soon" for varying values of that word.  Your browser or your OS will update,  or Evernote will introduce a new feature that simply is no longer compatible;  and Legacy being 'deprecated' means there will be no fixes.  It will eventually be an expensive white elephant that Evernote have to close down.

At least if you start using the new application you will encounter all the issues that affect your workflow,  and you'll be able to raise them with the company and maybe find workarounds.

This one,  forinstance, doesn't need a workaround - Import Folders are still a thing...

PDF files do only have an 'open' option and the default app for that purpose is set by Windows - it's not easy to swop,  so you'd be better using the same app both to read and edit;  the other option is to save the attachment to the desktop (where there is an "open with" choice).  There you can change the name of the file,  which changes the name in Evernote,  and then re-attach it to your note.  Note History will give you older copies of that note and the attached file if you want to review any changes.

At this stage your choices really are to stick with Legacy in hopes it continues past the end of this year - but with the possibility that one system change or another will stop it working unexpectedly;  or to work with v10 and try to adapt your style to suit.

And yes - before anyone else pops up to remind us - of course there are other providers out there who seem to have loyal followers claiming that the new players are far better than Evernote.  If you can find one that fits your needs you can make a change.  Entirely your choice - but it's also a serious risk...

Thank you for all that information... I'm really worried as is and I guess I'll have to wait to see what support say in terms of the lifespan remaining of legacy. I had no idea you could run Legacy and v10 side by side.. Maybe that would be a wise move so I could troubleshoot and determine what works and what doesn't. Is there any special method of installing both or do I simply download v10 and install. I read in this online forum somewhere that there are processes which EN uses to update notes from legacy (backend data of some kind) when opening with v10? There isn't an issue if I attempt to run both in terms of my notes is there? I.e. they won't become v10 dependant? I can try and I can always remove v10 and stick with Legacy until it's final day I guess.   

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, KoZz said:

I had no idea you could run Legacy and v10 side by side

You can but be careful and I wouldn't have both open at the same time.

V10 with the new sync uses a different type of note format on the backend so when you open a note it gets converted from legacy format to V10 format. If you then open the note in Legacy it needs to convert it back again. V10 is real time sync and not sync every few mins so a little different.

Legacy will stop working so it may be an idea to look at your workflows and make changes if needed for V10.

11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You first install v10. It will usually detect legacy, and replace it.

Then you install legacy again.

Thanks for the heads up

11 hours ago, Jon/t said:

You can but be careful and I wouldn't have both open at the same time.

V10 with the new sync uses a different type of note format on the backend so when you open a note it gets converted from legacy format to V10 format. If you then open the note in Legacy it needs to convert it back again. V10 is real time sync and not sync every few mins so a little different.

Legacy will stop working so it may be an idea to look at your workflows and make changes if needed for V10.

Thank you - Earlier, I read about the process of transitioning notes from the Legacy version to v10, which I wasn't able to articulate in my previous post. This is certainly a significant point to monitor. Thanks for highlighting this...

13 hours ago, agsteele said:

Let us know what support says about the future of Legacy.

Excerpt from the response from support:

"I know that some users are comfortable using the legacy version compared to the new version. While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired. We are not removing the legacy version entirely, it is just that there will be no updates, bug fixes, or technical support for older versions of Evernote"

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 7:45 AM, KoZz said:

Excerpt from the response from support:

... we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired. We are not removing the legacy version entirely, ...

That's what we are fighting for 😉
I hope the support rep won't get a problem with this statement 🙏

• Level 5

All statements are for that moment in time.

We know that supporting 2 syncing methods, into 2 data structures, and keep everything nicely in line is an additional burden, in resources and manpower. I doubt this will go on eternally - no matter what support told today.

• Level 5*

Also to note - there was a glitch recently when MacOS updated and apparently limited PDF views in Legacy.  Sooner or later an OS or browser update is going to affect other users and... 

On 7/5/2023 at 6:45 AM, KoZz said:

there will be no updates, bug fixes, or technical support for older versions of Evernote

• 2 months later...

For those users that come upon this string of posts note that on the latest version V10.64.3 one can most certainly move the local Evernote database to a different drive location if one does not want to fill up space on one's primary drive (C:)

This is particularly useful if one's C drive is an SSD and it is not particularly large, but one's D drive is a mechanical HDD but is large (usually 1 TB). 

In the Windows app go to Tools >Settings>Preferences 

Scroll to bottom of Preferences and change location in "Evernote Local Data". Click on the ... icon and choose the "change" function. This will open a "select folder" window. Click on the new folder location in your D drive and then click "Select". 

All done! 

Hope this helps

Regards

Lightfoot! 

Screenshot 2023-10-24 043400 Evernote.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Worth to mention: This option will only show with the directly installed client from the EN website. It will not show when running the version from one of the stores.

And I would think twice to install on a turning disk drive. EN runs significantly better from an SSD.

• Like 1