In case you missed it: feature enhancements

• Level 5

Hi all,

One of the biggest benefits of Evernote’s new apps is that we can now fix bugs and introduce new features faster. In fact, you may have already noticed updates coming at a quicker pace. 

Every app update contains multiple fixes and improvements—some big, some small. Here are a few recent enhancements you might have missed.

Search:

• Filter your search results by notebook or space (Note: Spaces is an Evernote Business feature). Just make a selection from the ‘Located in’ drop-down to apply the filter—you can also use it to refine your All Notes view. It’s available now in the latest Evernote for Mac, Windows, and Web.
  • Search inside notes and notebooks that have been shared with you. This feature is currently available on desktop for Evernote Basic and Evernote Premium customers; and is now available on mobile with version 10.5.

Google Drive:

• Connect to Google Drive and browse files via the Insert menu, and add links to your notes without leaving Evernote. 
  • When you insert a Google Drive link into a note, it now auto-converts to a dynamic link that updates whenever the original file is changed.

YouTube:

• Embed YouTube videos in your notes. Just copy-and-paste a YouTube link, hit Enter or Return, and it will be converted to an embedded video preview that you can watch directly in Evernote.

I’ll share more of these types changes as time goes on. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly here.

Thanks!

Shane D.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to In case you missed it: feature enhancements
  • Level 5

Some great news about missing features - thank you for posting.

How are advancements like this passed on to the help data base on the web site ?

Ar the help documents updated as a part of the release process, or will they be updated a (short) while after the release of new features ? I am asking especially concerning the different possibilities to search, because finding every information ever stored always was one of the key features of EN. Now context is gone, so "classic" search becomes even more important.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Check boxes are still available (behind the blue + button when editing a note).

Just make sure you don’t put them in a list layout, because then they will convert into a checklist.

There are workarounds to avoid this - or just get used and use the new checklist feature.

Very glad to see that the new filter feature enables filtering by dates created or updated. 

As a "power user" I learned EN search grammar, but I imagine that less than 5% of users take advantage of the search limiters. Making it possible to filter by date - something a lot of software has had for years (e.g. Gmail's search function) - is a big improvement for the average user not using search grammar. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PurpleFugue said:

Bring back the "Create Table of Contents Note". It makes it so convenient when managing notes in a notebook

I stopped using this when I realized it is not a good idea to rely on internal note links for as long as they can't be backed up / exported (note ID is not included in exports). I feel like resolving this would be a first step.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, PurpleFugue said:

Bring back the "Create Table of Contents Note". It makes it so convenient when managing notes in a notebook

Select the notes > Copy Note Links > Paste into a new note = Table of Contents

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Unfortunately there has also been Feature Destruction. 

Ever since the new software was released at the end of the year, I can no longer reliably save documents using the 'Scan document' feature from my Android device in a way that creates a thumbnail and is searchable.  Instead, the images are saved and viewable after opening the note, but are shown as a generic 'document' graphic instead of a thumbnail image from the notebook view.  Furthermore, when searching for text within these documents, as opposed to ones with proper thumbnails, they are not included among the search results.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 9:20 AM, Shane D. said:

Google Drive:

• Connect to Google Drive and browse files via the Insert menu, and add links to your notes without leaving Evernote. 
  • When you insert a Google Drive link into a note, it now auto-converts to a dynamic link that updates whenever the original file is changed

Unfortunately, unlike for YouTube links, there is currently no preview of what is in the Google Drive file. What will iFrame style link be introduced that allows one to see the contents of the linked file on Google Drive without opening it. Notion can do this. Thank you

• Like 2
On 2/4/2021 at 9:20 AM, michael-gerloff said:

No way to select more than 50 notes? What is the idea behind this limitation??? If I had a free account and a limit of 100 notes in total I could understand (well, almost). So I just deinstalled v10 and I am back on the Legacy version.

How did you go back to the legacy version? The workflow I've been using for years relied on sorting by tags, and since this version doesn't do it, I'm wasting a lot of time trying to sort my tasks and gather my project work.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, OTJoe48076 said:

How did you go back to the legacy version? The workflow I've been using for years relied on sorting by tags, and since this version doesn't do it, I'm wasting a lot of time trying to sort my tasks and gather my project work.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Thanks 1

When I upgraded to Version 10 for one of my accounts, it dismantled the tag and sub-tag hierarchy that I used to manage my work. Fortunately it did this to my archival account and not the one I use for actual work. I eventually figured out how to use the Tags panel to nest sub-tags and sub-sub-tags, but if I had to do this with my main account, I would have to spend hours or days rebuilding the  tag hierarchy. Is there a workaround to preserve the old tag hierarchy and avoid this? It never happened in previous upgrades. 

On 2/1/2021 at 5:20 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

One of the biggest benefits of Evernote’s new apps is that we can now fix bugs and introduce new features faster. In fact, you may have already noticed updates coming at a quicker pace. 

Every app update contains multiple fixes and improvements—some big, some small. Here are a few recent enhancements you might have missed.

Search:

• Filter your search results by notebook or space (Note: Spaces is an Evernote Business feature). Just make a selection from the ‘Located in’ drop-down to apply the filter—you can also use it to refine your All Notes view. It’s available now in the latest Evernote for Mac, Windows, and Web; and is coming soon to mobile. 
  • Search inside notes and notebooks that have been shared with you. This feature is currently available on desktop for Evernote Basic and Evernote Premium customers.

Google Drive:

• When you insert a Google Drive link into a note, it now auto-converts to a dynamic link that updates whenever the original file is changed.

YouTube:

• Embed YouTube videos in your notes. Just copy-and-paste a YouTube link, hit Enter or Return, and it will be converted to an embedded video preview that you can watch directly in Evernote.

I’ll share more of these types changes as time goes on. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly here.

Thanks!

Shane D.

Shane, how about a fix for Evernote for iOS?

For 3 or 4 months now Web Clipping not working. 

See attached screen shot. 

On 2/2/2021 at 11:26 PM, Rabbit704 said:

Still no CMD J ... Evernote, at the forefront of innovation, continuing to redefine the expression "Coming Soon".

Best update everyone can do in 2021 is to install Evernote Legacy and have ALL they need as back in 2012...

I see no reason to switch to these new 10.X "releases" at all.

Just checking "coming soon" section once in a while)))

P.S. I wish good luck and wisdom to Evernote developers and marketing teams in the upcoming future.

• Level 5

Thanks, Shane (and team)!!

Mac EN 10.8.4 is running extremely well on three different machines/OS's. The intermittent sluggishness, slow loads, white screen have disappeared.

I realize that some people may still be missing their favorite feature, but for all my tasks I can now use version 10 without any limitations.:)

• Like 4
On 2/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

@Rabbit704 Hi there, just created a template to make posting easier for you:

Still no <enter desired feature, make sure it is not yet available> , EN is <enter rant> ...

Lol. Sorry, I didn't see this until now @PinkElephant as I was out and about enjoying life ... 

I do see though that in posting this you managed to clock up another worthless post to bring your total note count to ...(drum roll) ... 4788!!!!  WTF!?? Are you serious!?? Surely you can do something else with your life than live on these forums yapping at anyone that dares speak ill of your elephant? ... Well, I guess not ... Sorry to interrupt your important life's work .. you better get back to it little chihuahua ... 🤣

BTW, Evernote for Mac 10.8 released ... Still no CMD J ... but the good news is that it's "Coming Soon". 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

wait, editing encrypted notes is gone completely now - cant do it on my phone, tablet, pc or browser. 
Was this the update that introduced it?

evernote is pretty useless to me without encrypted notes. Paid for evernote for a good while in the past... but this just makes me want to move away completely.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, gui8312 said:

wait, editing encrypted notes is gone completely now

If you insert an encrypted+password-protected (AES 128)  mac Pages document into a note you can unlock, edit, and save changes. This includes Pages documents containing rich content such as images.

The attachment persists as a usable Pages document even if the original version created on the mac was deleted—i.e. this is not a link, but a fully functional document.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

Lol. Sorry, I didn't see this until now @PinkElephant as I was out and about enjoying life ... 

… seems I need to create another template. 

Maybe it makes your forum life easier, and let you take even more time off the forum. In fact I couldn’t care less 🥱

As you correctly assume, my forum posts are written by my Chihuahuas, so enough leisure time to spend. Thanks for worrying 🥳

• Haha 1
On 2/16/2021 at 2:32 AM, Rabbit704 said:

I do see though that in posting this you managed to clock up another worthless post to bring your total note count to ...(drum roll) ... 4788!!!!  WTF!?? Are you serious!?? Surely you can do something else with your life than live on these forums yapping at anyone that dares speak ill of your elephant? ... Well, I guess not ... Sorry to interrupt your important life's work .. you better get back to it little chihuahua ... 🤣

BTW, Evernote for Mac 10.8 released ... Still no CMD J ... but the good news is that it's "Coming Soon". 🤣

^^ this is really not OK. 

On 2/1/2021 at 11:20 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

So maybe you should start doing that? Fix the AltGr+s and AltGr+n bug may be a good start! I'm waiting since November 2020!

• 5 months later...

Where is the ability to create multiple TABS for 10.x for Mac???

I find the fact that you removed a feature that tons of people use is beyond stupid.  People used it, do a Google search and see how many people have complained. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, Yan Van said:

what is possible for IOS calender????

Sorry, I don’t see any relation to the thread, and don’t understand what you mean.

Maybe start your own thread, and tell a bit more about your idea.