Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

Evernote 5.0.6 Beta 2 for Mac

evernote

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Great beta update coming your way! Get it here: http://evernote.com/...e=PrereleaseMac

Hope you like it!

New Features
Re-designed menu bar Helper: Quick Note - Create a note any time by clicking the helper or CMD+CTRL+N

Other Improvements
Copy and paste fixes
Miscellaneous bug and stability fixes

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 verbbis

verbbis

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

I really like the Quick Note -functionality. Nice to have a truly useful feature that adds to productivity - haven't had such in a while.

A suggestion: I think the dialog should close itself always whenever I click outside it. That also applies to the menu bar (blank area or on other icons there). This is how similar apps (e.g. Fantastical) work.

The other issues related to the internal HTML-like representation of notes are still there unfortunately (cannot remove a <h1>-heading on top of a note, markup ends up being easily cluttered with styles, extra spans and divs etc.). I really wish Evernote used Markdown instead... But I guess you can't have everything  :)

Good job on this release, though!

#3 pgdahl

pgdahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Oh! More puzzling and counterproductive features coming to Evernote just in time for the weekend? Woohoo.

Sorry about the sarcasme, but although I do like the idea of using Evernote to scrabble down quick notes, this is a disappointing solution. 

I am was a using ⌘+Ctrl+N heavily system wide, where I could not only add note content but also add a title, tag the note and sort it in the right folder right away. Now I have to go into the inbox after the fact to do all this (unless I am already in the Evernote main window, that is - but that's not where ⌘+Ctrl+N used to be useful). I guess I'll have to resort to ⌘+Ctrl+V in the future instead; it is easier removing the clipboard content than deal with untagged, untitled notes cluttering my inbox folder because I promptly forget about them ...

There's also a couple of menu entries that needs two clicks instead of one with this new menu; I did not use them much, but it is not an improvement. Also, still no FaceTime-note shortcut? Or keyboard shortcuts for audio- and FaceTime? Now that would be introducing something useful!

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

【1】 BUG: HELPER

• Pressing CMD + CTRL + N brought up the dialogue box, pressing the screenshot icon on the left took the screenshot, trying to delete the screenshot by right-clicking brought up the menu choices shown in the screenshot, but I couldn't select anything. Pressing escape, going into the helper, and then right-clicking worked. 
  •  I have not been able to reproduce this behavior.

https://www.evernote...72e1b9c2d4147e0

#5 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

【2】 SUGGESTION: HELPER

• I don't see this feature being especially useful for me, because I cannot create a title for the note. Would it be possible to add that feature into the quick note? This would be a huge benefit. I don't use different tags or notebooks often, but I am sure many people do, so adding that might be a good idea as well. I know that the title is derived from the first line of the note, and so mimics the Windows behavior, but the main app doesn't work this way, so I do not see the point in this (how many people will actually figure out what is happening if it only occurs with the little elephant so few people even know exists?). If you changed the behavior of the main app, then that would be nice :)
  • In addition, the first line of the note then becomes the snippet text, so you basically have snippets with the same information (the title) repeated twice. It is a little unwieldy in practice, isn't it? Maybe I would be less bothered by this if we had a vertical list view, and I didn't see the snippet text anymore :)

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

【3】 BUG: RELATED NOTES (?)

•  
  • Search for a term, going to a note, and trying to edit the content off the screen above the located term will force the screen to leap back down to the term. I first discovered this as I was trying to edit the titles of several hundred notes that had the same code at the bottom of the note. The screen jumps down to the code, I scroll to the title, I start editing, and then it jumps back down to the bottom of the note, and I have to go back to the title to edit again. 
  •  
  • Why is it doing this? I believe it is generating the related notes, and that is why this happens, because if I search and find a term in a note that already has related notes, I cannot replicate the behavior. It only seems to occur with notes that do not have them already generated. 
  •  
  • This is an old bug, but I just couldn't figure out until now why it was happening. Well, I still don't know, but I suspect the related notes are the culprit. 
  •  
  • See the video below for the bug in action (see esp. :04-:06). 
  •  

#7 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

【4】 BUG: COPY/PASTE

• We all know that copy/paste out of Evernote on Mac does not work well. See the screenshot for one example. The original is here in this note and the garbled version is showing in the forum post. Please fix this problem, especially the extra line breaks that double space sections. It is terribly inconvenient to have to run everything through another program just to copy/paste out of Evernote. This is a longstanding issue, and not just one related to the bullet points.

#8 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

【5】 BUG: VERTICAL LIST VIEW

• I cannot get it to work. See screenshot below. Please fix this :)

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

【6】 SUGGESTION: TELL US ABOUT NEW FEATURES

• When did we get some basic navigation within the Trunk space? In the top left corner, we can now go home, and if memory serves me, this was not there the last time I looked (November?).
  • By the way, if you want me to go to the Trunk more, it needs to be searchable, have some other navigation options, and alert me to new/changed apps/deals, but that is a topic for a whole other thread. Perhaps you might want to consider ads in the sidebar! https://www.evernote.com/pub/mayochristopher/evernoteads

#10 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

No new Welcome Video?

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

【7】 BUG: NOTE HISTORY VIEW BROKEN

• See the bottom of the screenshot below. Note the scroll bar on the bottom right hanging off the screen and the note content not quite fitting into the box. 

#12 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

【2】 SUGGESTION: HELPER

• I don't see this feature being especially useful for me, because I cannot create a title for the note. Would it be possible to add that feature into the quick note? This would be a huge benefit. I don't use different tags or notebooks often, but I am sure many people do, so adding that might be a good idea as well. I know that the title is derived from the first line of the note, and so mimics the Windows behavior, but the main app doesn't work this way, so I do not see the point in this (how many people will actually figure out what is happening if it only occurs with the little elephant so few people even know exists?). If you changed the behavior of the main app, then that would be nice :)
  • In addition, the first line of the note then becomes the snippet text, so you basically have snippets with the same information (the title) repeated twice. It is a little unwieldy in practice, isn't it? Maybe I would be less bothered by this if we had a vertical list view, and I didn't see the snippet text anymore  :)

Got to be able to add title, tags and notebook here otherwise you are creating an organisational nightmare.

#13 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

【8】 SUGGESTION: BLACK AND WHITE

• Please reconsider the gray on gray color scheme. I know, this is an old complaint of mine, but I am wondering why it is still here! 
  • I am sure that some thought went into this, but I just cannot see the benefits for me as a user. It is difficult to see, right? I have great eyesight -- I work on an 11" MBA and don't mind poor resolution or tiny characters for all of my work, but it is only in Evernote that I feel like things are fuzzy and indistinguishable. Surely, it isn't just me who thinks it makes sense to have black on white. From a usability / accessibility perspective, it seems strikingly obvious to me, but maybe I just need to be schooled in design.
  • In the first screenshot below, tell me that you think the trash icon, the people sharing my trash (why are people sharing my trash?), and even the gray on gray of the snippet view ("who") is easier to see than this text I have written right here black on white.
  • Surely, the second screenshot below is a joke, right? You cannot honestly tell me that the name of the stack in the screenshot below is legible (it says 公用). I really think this gray on gray thing is bizarre, and I strongly recommend you reconsider this from an accessibility perspective.

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

【9】 BUG: ATLAS

• My notes are not being counted / geo-located properly. I just emptied out my account of all but a handful of notes (it is a long story), and re-imported about 7,000+ notes a day or two ago, but only some of them got counted by Atlas. Why? The same computer, the same location, and the exact same information. Yet, a different note count. See the screenshots below. 

#15 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

【10】 BUG: NUMBERED LISTS

• I hesitate to mention this, because there are so many issues to sort out here, and we already know these numbered lists are quirky. Still, I figured I'd bring up one particular bug.
  • Create some text, put in an <hr> line, start a list, and then try to delete the first number. As far as I know, it cannot be done without deleting the totally unrelated <hr> line. See video below.

#16 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

【11】 BUG: ACCOUNT USAGE

• I think a two-day discrepancy between two clients is too much, invites confusion, and is kind of meaningless if it is so far off the actual number of days left in a month (whatever that is). See screenshots below from the Mac and Web clients. The first one (gray on gray, of course) is from the Mac, and the second one is from the Web (gray on white isn't a whole lot better).
  • For your information, my account dates from the 17th, so I would guess that I actually have something like 23 days left, but I suppose that depends on how you count stuff. Why not just have something like: "Your upload allowance resets on March 17, in 23 days"?

#17 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

【12】 BUG: SEARCH

• I've reported this for a few months (?) now. Somehow, my notes are being filtered so that nothing appears. This is an issue I encounter on a daily basis. At some point, I will do a search and I won't find anything. I clear it all and try again, and then I see the notes. It is kind of frustrating, especially when there is time pressure.
  • The first screenshot below is the failed search. The second one is the successful one. 
  • Am I doing something wrong? I really wish I had more data to work with, because in my opinion, what I see (the search information in the search field) ought to be what I get. 

#18 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

【13】 BUG: ALL NOTES

• If you right-click on the bar between All Notes and the first note, you get a dialog box with options that do not work. See screenshot below.

#19 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,219 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

【14】 BUG: MOVE NOTEBOOKS SPACING

• The spacing between my notebooks displayed in the dialog box for the move notebooks option is odd. Between evernoteads and the next notebook there is a bunch of open space. Why? See screenshot below.

#20 pgdahl

pgdahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

To add to my previous and very immediate response, I've discovered that *each* item you drag to a "Quick Note" produces a new note each. This seems weird; you'd expect you were creating one note only as with the old ⌘+Ctrl+N functionality. Is this intentional? (Re-reading before posting, and realising it probably is ... and I can see a use for it. But this quicknoteamajig should go and get its own keyboard command instead of hijacking the good, old ⌘+Ctrl+N.) 

Also, I discovered - which is a slight sooth - that a Quick Note will be given a title based on the first line of text. However, it seems it just counts characters and ignores linebreaks (see this example); it would be helpful if only characters on the first line of text would be counted and used for title. I am still in favor of being able to manually add titles, notebooks and tags. Or at least let me tell Evernote to put Quick Notes into a specified notebook.

There are also issues with what happens with the new Quick Note popup when you are already doing stuff inside Evernote. If you're using multiple monitors working with Evernote on the secondary one, you suddenly find yourself typing in that tiny new popup on the other monitor instead of just giving me a new note. It even pops down when I am in fullscreen mode. Honestly? Just give me a new note! I am right here anyways! I anticipate, someone will reply: "But you can always click on the "New note"-button" Yes. Or a couple of times if I actually intend to have the note in a different notebook from the one I am working one. Afterwards it's a trivial thing to have to click back to were I was. Of course. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote