Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

HELP: Need to restore text deleted from a note

evernote

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mactease

mactease

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

this is my first time on any forum, but I have a question. Somehow I deleted the text from one of my notes (must have absent mindedly selected it the accidentally hit enter). Of course, it synched (i.e. eliminated!) everywhere! At any rate, I want that text. As I deleted text, not the note, it is not in the trash anywhere. I tried to search/follow other web searches, and "found" the evernote data back up from a day ago (no easy task!!). But even going back in time does not seem to recover the text from that note. Is synch retroactive? Is there no way to restore the state of that note to a prior time when the text was present?? If there is a way, can you give me a step by step broken down for a 3rd grader? Remember, the note still exists, it is just blank. Thank you for any help/insight you can provide. If I am SOL then give me the bad news, and I can start to try to rebuild, however, this really panics me as I have some critical information on some notes that could be catastrophic is I cannot go back in time. (should I go to manual synch?). Help.

#2 peterfmartin

peterfmartin

• Title: Hard to say
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 970 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Welcome to the forum (and to the world of internet forums), mactease! I think:

—If you're a premium user, and this note was synced, with the text you're looking for, sometime in the past, you should be able to recover it. Go to "Note" in the menu bar, then "Note History..." and you'll see options of past versions that you can recover.
—If you're a free user, you're SOL, since note history is a feature offered only to premium users.

But if I'm wrong I know someone will come by soon to correct me.

Also, when you say you "'found' the evernote data back up from a day ago (no easy task!!). But even going back in time does not seem to recover the text from that note," how are you trying to open the note/access the data? If you truly backed this up before deleting the text, I don't understand how the contents of the note at the time of the backup are deleted or otherwise inaccessible.
Using Mac version 3.2.0 beta 1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), web occasionally, and Chrome clipper (and Windows once upon a time).

Information and help: Getting Started | Knowledge Base (note: often wrong or outdated) | Evernote Support for customer support

#3 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hello,

this is my first time on any forum, but I have a question. Somehow I deleted the text from one of my notes (must have absent mindedly selected it the accidentally hit enter). Of course, it synched (i.e. eliminated!) everywhere! At any rate, I want that text. As I deleted text, not the note, it is not in the trash anywhere. I tried to search/follow other web searches, and "found" the evernote data back up from a day ago (no easy task!!). But even going back in time does not seem to recover the text from that note. Is synch retroactive? Is there no way to restore the state of that note to a prior time when the text was present?? If there is a way, can you give me a step by step broken down for a 3rd grader? Remember, the note still exists, it is just blank. Thank you for any help/insight you can provide. If I am SOL then give me the bad news, and I can start to try to rebuild, however, this really panics me as I have some critical information on some notes that could be catastrophic is I cannot go back in time. (should I go to manual synch?). Help.

hi. welcome to the forums!

as i understand it, all notes are backed up every few hours (8?) and there are note histories (assuming your note is more than 8 hours old). if you are a premium user, you can see the old versions. if you are not, you can upgrade ($5 per month / $45 per year) or contact support and see what they can do for you. it is entirely possible that they have a backup and can get it to you.

if you have been doing time machine backups (i think you ought to be doing this at least daily -- storage is so inexpensive these days, and all you have to do is plug it in) then you can easily go back and find the note content on your own. just do a spotlight search (i prefer the app houdahspot) using the keywords you know are present in the note.

#4 mactease

mactease

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Thank you both for the prompt response.

First, I am a free user so no note history.:(
Second, when I go to the evernote library in finder (user/content/) there are lots of folders.
Third, further complication: I screwed up on my laptop, but it is my desktop that has time machine.
Sooo. I painstakingly looked through content at the "Pxxx" folders by date and "did a quick look"on the laptop. I copied the appropriate folders into dropbox and added them to the desktop content. Found the appropriate one and went back to yesterday in time machine, clicked on the folder to restore (kept both files). VOILA! Success!! *whew* steep learning curve and a wasted day, but maybe this will help someone else. BTW, spotlight only shows the current version of that file. Haven't tried the other but will make a note. Also, will consider the upgrade. Thanks to you both!!

#5 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

Thank you both for the prompt response.

First, I am a free user so no note history. :(
Second, when I go to the evernote library in finder (user/content/) there are lots of folders.
Third, further complication: I screwed up on my laptop, but it is my desktop that has time machine.
Sooo. I painstakingly looked through content at the "Pxxx" folders by date and "did a quick look"on the laptop. I copied the appropriate folders into dropbox and added them to the desktop content. Found the appropriate one and went back to yesterday in time machine, clicked on the folder to restore (kept both files). VOILA! Success!! *whew* steep learning curve and a wasted day, but maybe this will help someone else. BTW, spotlight only shows the current version of that file. Haven't tried the other but will make a note. Also, will consider the upgrade. Thanks to you both!!

Glad we could help :)

#6 Guido Dati

Guido Dati

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hello,

Dear mactease,

I must thank you because with your post you have exactly formulated my same issue. I agree as well with you that is not a easy task to move through data back up.

I think that handling certaing note formats has some troubles: I mean that when I try to modify a PDF note, sometimes it happens that the note doesn't change but it suddenly disappear. Better: not the note, but the text inside that. That is what happened to me and required me to restore the text note. Just to use your precise query words.

Said this, I must point out that I'm a premium user and note history is an explained feature for my profile.... so I've been careless and EverNote clearly offered the way to solve the problem.

Thanks for you post. I'm sorry for your problem.

Guido

#7 mbnicolas

mbnicolas

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

I am a premium user, note history is pretty much useless it only backs up once every couple days not after every sync, which is what you need in these types of situation

It would at least be nice to have something like last 10 syncs and then do it daily or weekly or something...

#8 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Note history creates a snapshot of your not on our server every 8 hours. If you have synced multiple times in the same 8 hour period, then we will only have one version for that session.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#9 onion1374

onion1374

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Note history creates a snapshot of your not on our server every 8 hours. If you have synced multiple times in the same 8 hour period, then we will only have one version for that session.

So if I upgrade to Premium now, will I have access to Note History for an existing note that was created on the free version? I have a similar issue where note content somehow disappeared. Or wil Note History only work moving forward from the time of Premium activation?

#10 Phil G.

Phil G.

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

—If you're a premium user, and this note was synced, with the text you're looking for, sometime in the past, you should be able to recover it. Go to "Note" in the menu bar, then "Note History..." and you'll see options of past versions that you can recover.

What if my note wasn't synced yet, but was only just created locally? 

I don't find the option mentioned by you. I just see a "Restore" line, which is greyed out though for me, even though I'm a Premium user.

What? Every 8 hours only? -.- That is no note/version history functionality! That is just a "backup" function, but it won't allow me to gradually roll back items I made within the last five or one minute. I fell for your deceptive marketing. -.- I can't understand why you cannot include true note history functionality for 40 € / year, when the volume of data is much smaller than what people throw into Dropbox etc. Because Dropbox, Box, Google Drive sync every individual change, why can't Evernote do so too? (At least locally, if not via Sync)

Finally: Why does "Edit > Undo" simply not work?! It almost never works when I try it! It's like that since at least one year...
It's an absolute disgrace that this still isn't fixed or working properly. (Like in every other PC software since 1997!) But it's probably just your way to lure people into Premium...

• EN Premium, v.4.6.6.8360  | Windows 7 Professional x64
  • Evernote, EN Hello and EN Food on Android 4.2.2

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,180 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

What if my note wasn't synced yet, but was only just created locally? 

I don't find the option mentioned by you. I just see a "Restore" line, which is greyed out though for me, even though I'm a Premium user.

>Note history creates a snapshot of your not on our server every 8 hours. If you have synced multiple times in the same 8 hour period, then we will only have one version for that session.

What? Every 8 hours only? -.- That is no note/version history functionality! That is just a "backup" function, but it won't allow me to gradually roll back items I made within the last five or one minute. I fell for your deceptive marketing. -.- I can't understand why you cannot include true note history functionality for 40 € / year, when the volume of data is much smaller than what people throw into Dropbox etc. Because Dropbox, Box, Google Drive sync every individual change, why can't Evernote do so too? (At least locally, if not via Sync)

Finally: Why does "Edit > Undo" simply not work?! It almost never works when I try it! It's like that since at least one year...
It's an absolute disgrace that this still isn't fixed or working properly. (Like in every other PC software since 1997!) But it's probably just your way to lure people into Premium...

Hi Philipp. Sorry to hear that the features are not meeting your needs. I don't think they are trying to trick you into purchasing Premium, though. If you contact support (see the link in my signature below) they will probably offer you a refund on the remaining amount of your Premium subscription. 

#12 dorisou123

dorisou123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

You could try a data retrieval software to scan your computer making sure whether the deleted content is still in your computer. There are so many softwares are capable of that, such as Kvisoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote