Moving notes between notebooks

Melk41

• Level 5*

Thanks for the tip. Apparently this has to be done on my PC, and not able to do it on iPhone of iPad. Correct?

Hi. This can easily be accomplished on the iPad or iPhone as well. Please see the user manual in my signature for an explanation and screen shots.

• 1 year later...

How do I move a note "completely out of a notebook" and just into the "Notes" list which contains all notes? 

I have searched for this and cannot find an answer.

I can drag a note between different notebooks, but it will not go into the "Notes" list.

Thanks for the suggestions

• Level 5*

How do I move a note "completely out of a notebook" and just into the "Notes" list which contains all notes? 

I can drag a note between different notebooks, but it will not go into the "Notes" list.

There is no way to do this. All notes must reside in a notebook. "Notes"  (or "All Notes", or "Personal Notes", or what-have-you) is not a notebook. It's just the collection of your notes (or your personal notes, etc.).

In addition to what others said, you could also just move all of your notes in a single Notebook. After successfully syncing all devices, you then view them however the app on each device you have it for, allows you to. Windows allows you to view them in List format.

When I first set up EN, like many people I made lots of notebooks.  Now I see the reasoning behind fewer notebooks and would like to do this.  I've set up 2 new notebooks which will contain all of my personal in one and then all of my work info in the other.  However, within each notebook I'll still be using tags.  is there an easy way to tag a whole group of notes at one time, like for instance I have a notebook for pets - could I tag each note with "pet" all at once or will I have to do it manually to each one?

edited to add - I'm using Windows if it makes any difference.

• Level 5*

When I first set up EN, like many people I made lots of notebooks.  Now I see the reasoning behind fewer notebooks and would like to do this.  I've set up 2 new notebooks which will contain all of my personal in one and then all of my work info in the other.  However, within each notebook I'll still be using tags.  is there an easy way to tag a whole group of notes at one time, like for instance I have a notebook for pets - could I tag each note with "pet" all at once or will I have to do it manually to each one?

edited to add - I'm using Windows if it makes any difference.

Yes. On the Windows client it's easy to tag multiple notes at the same time. You first need to select multiple notes in your note list; this is very similar to selecting multiple files in Explorer: Shift+Click, Ctrl+Click, etc. When you have multiple notes selected, the note display turns into a note multi-select panel: if you add tags there, then they're added to all notes in your selection. Alternatively (and also with multiple notes selected, or even just one note), you can use the purpose-built Assign Tag dialog, which you can bring up using the Ctrl+Alt+T hotkey, or by right-clicking on the selection and choosing "Tag Notes".

Thanks - it works perfectly in Windows.  I had started trying to do it originally from the web client, and then when I posted I used Windows I thought maybe it would be different in the Windows version.  All done now!  Everything moved and mostly retagged.

• 1 year later...

I am writing multiple ebooks and have a notebook for each one -- the problem is when I create a new note by dropping photos from iPhoto into evernote they first go into the general "notes" section.  Then when I move them into the appropriate notebook it seems to be moving a COPY of the note into the appropriate notebook but still leaving a copy in the "notes" section.  This is getting maddening because I can't tell which ones have been moved into their appropriate notebook and which ones haven't! Any ideas out there?

I am writing multiple ebooks and have a notebook for each one -- the problem is when I create a new note by dropping photos from iPhoto into evernote they first go into the general "notes" section.  Then when I move them into the appropriate notebook it seems to be moving a COPY of the note into the appropriate notebook but still leaving a copy in the "notes" section.  This is getting maddening because I can't tell which ones have been moved into their appropriate notebook and which ones haven't! Any ideas out there?

Please read post #6.

In the list view of all of your notes in a notebook, right click on the note title, "Move to Notebook..."

Hope this helps

I have tried following the instructions for moving a note into a notebook and they do not work. I tried to find "Move to Notebook", mentionedin your instructions, and could not locate it. I am VERY new to Evernote, so...Funy it doesn't seem that you can just create a new notebook and drag a note into it. I am trying to create a client notebook, and then have notes, per client, in that notebook. I would like to have Active and Inactive clients as subcategories, actually, but I'm not sure if this is possible, Any help would be appreciated.

• Level 5*

What platform are you using?

If you are on Windows and you have created the notebook, you can either 1) drag a note to that notebook, 2) while editing the note change the notebook in the header area for the note, or 3) right click on the note in any of the List, Snippet or Card views and select move notebook from there.  There are also ways to move multiple notes at the same time.

Not sure what the issue is.  But you do have to create the notebook before you move any notes to it.

• 4 months later...

NOOB here. Im using ScanSnap to go paperless. Im a teacher and would like to organize by Notebook. The problem is when I move to NB, the notes still exist in the notes section and now also in the NB  (thus creating 2 copies). Am I correct that this is the design of EN, so there is no way to delete from the notes piles once moved to a NB? Seems redundant.

• Level 5*

You only have one copy of the note.  All Notes is the compendium of the notes all your notebooks.  If you go to list  view in all notes context you will see the note only once with the name of the notebook where you stored the note.

• Level 5*

The Notes section is simply a different way of viewing your notes.  It shows all your notes.

You can view your notes by All Notes / by Notebook / by tag

It doesn't mean the notes are replicated.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, ryan sackett said:

When I try move a note the list of notebooks I can see when I select "move note" isn;t all my notebooks. Under the Personal heading I am missing several notebooks.

This should work.  I've done it many times.

What versions of OS and Evernote are you running?
Can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?  This would be very helpful.

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 7/1/2016 at 3:55 PM, victorcostacped@yahoo.com said:

Is there a way to move multiple notes at one time to another note book?

In Windows, highlight the notes you want to move, right click, and select Move to notebook.

• 5 months later...

Hi

I would like to move notes from one notebook to another AND retain information telling me the name of the notebook in which the note was first created.

I can do the first.  I can't do the second.  I can see columns titled 'Created', 'Updated', and 'Notebook'.  Basically, what I want is an additional column titled 'Original Notebook', or titled something shorter that means 'Original Notebook'.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Rob

• Level 5
9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Hi

I would like to move notes from one notebook to another AND retain information telling me the name of the notebook in which the note was first created.

I can do the first.  I can't do the second.  I can see columns titled 'Created', 'Updated', and 'Notebook'.  Basically, what I want is an additional column titled 'Original Notebook', or titled something shorter that means 'Original Notebook'.

Thanks,

Rob

No, the Notebook name is not retrievable when moving to a new notebook. Perhaps a computer coder could offer some advice on how to access it.

When you create a new note, you could include the original notebook name in the body of the note with a date code, then when the move is accomplished add the new notebook name with the date code .

Maybe there is another way to do what I want.

Basically, I want to be able to track progress on various projects.  

I am using a separate notebook for each project

In each notebook are my project-specific action items.

When an action is completed, I want to move it out of the project notebook so I no longer have to look at it.  BUT, I would like to retain a history indicating THAT it was done and WHEN.  I imagine putting all completed action items into a single notebook, with the ability to sort by project (in my case, sort by original notebook).

Currently, I just delete completed actions.  But I am losing too much history that way.

Tips welcome :)

thanks,

Rob

2 minutes ago, Arpy said:

When an action is completed, I want to move it out of the project notebook so I no longer have to look at it.  BUT, I would like to retain a history indicating THAT it was done and WHEN.  I imagine putting all completed action items into a single notebook, with the ability to sort by project (in my case, sort by original notebook).

Currently, I just delete completed actions.  But I am losing too much history that way.

thanks,

Rob

Why not just make a 'done' notebook?

Exactly! My problem is that if I have a few dozen projects, and put completed actions from all projects into a single Done notebook, it will be difficult to track or to retrieve by project.  So I need to be able to add info to each action (the project it belongs to), then retrieve or sort by that added piece of info (the project it belongs to).

The info is already there in my original notebook (the column titled 'Notebook').  So if somehow I could just preserve that info in my Done notebook where I could later either sort by it or search by it, life would be good :)

Rob

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Arpy said:

thanks,

Rob

I can see the separate notebook for each project but would be concerned about hitting the notebook limit

>>When an action is completed, I want to move it out of the project notebook so I no longer have to look at it

That seems excessive
Why not have a "done" tag

Saved searches are a good tool to use, you can filter notes to look at; notes to exclude

I use a due date for all my tasks (actually reminder-date)
When completed, I mark the note as done (actually reminder-done-date)
So, I have the task flagged as done, with the date it was completed

thanks.  Just tried it.  And if I click on my Tag column, I can force 'done' items to the end of the list, where they are 'out of the way'.

My thought, however, is that I would like to keep my list of open tasks as short and uncluttered as possible.

Once a task is done, it becomes 'clutter' and, if things go well, I don't want to see it again.  But, sometimes, if things go wrong, I might want to retrieve something like "when exactly did I buy those tires that were supposed to last 80K miles?"  That is, I might want to go back years, and if I keep 'done' items in the same notebook as my 'open' items, the clutter could become increasingly unpleasant as time goes by.

Thanks,

Rob

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Arpy said:

thanks.  Just tried it.  And if I click on my Tag column, I can force 'done' items to the end of the list, where they are 'out of the way'.

My thought, however, is that I would like to keep my list of open tasks as short and uncluttered as possible.

Once a task is done, it becomes 'clutter' and, if things go well, I don't want to see it again.  But, sometimes, if things go wrong, I might want to retrieve something like "when exactly

Use a saved search that includes     -tag:done
It excludes "done" items (or whatever tagname you use)

My search list for current tasks is      -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*
I also don't want to see future dated tasks

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Hi

Thanks,

Rob

No automated way,  Workaround could be to add a tag with the original notebook name to the notes before you move them to the new notebook.

very nice!  this changes my whole use model!

my search for -tag:done works well.

so, two questions:

how do I save this search?

Can I bind it to a key sequence like 'ctrl/c' so that I can execute it quickly?

Thanks,

Rob

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

how do I save this search?

Can I bind it to a key sequence like 'ctrl/c' so that I can execute it quickly?

You should identify your platform, the instruction are different for each

On my Mac, its hidden under Edit > Find > Save SearchScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 8.42.43 AM.png

I also put the saved search in the Shortcuts area for quick access

19 minutes ago, csihilling said:

No automated way,  Workaround could be to add a tag with the original notebook name to the notes before you move them to the new notebook.

Thanks.

It is possible to complete dozens of actions in a day, so I wonder:

is it possible to write some code or a macro that takes the content of the "notebook' column and tags the note with it, then moves the note to another notebook called 'done'; and is it possible to tie that code or macro to a keystroke?

(my apologies for asking for the world -- but I would like to know if this is possible -- looks like I have been severely underutilizing Evernote, and before abandoning it, maybe I just need to make a greater learning investment in it)

Thanks,

Rob

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You should identify your platform, the instruction are different for each

On my Mac, its hidden under Edit > Find > Save SearchScreen Shot 2016-12-12 at 8.42.43 AM.png

I also put the saved search in the Shortcuts area for quick access

OK -- I do most of my work on Windows 10.  But when I am out and about, I use my Iphone SE.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, Arpy said:

is it possible to write some code or a macro that takes the content of the "notebook' column and tags the note with it, then moves the note to another notebook called 'done'; and is it possible to tie that code or macro to a keystroke?

Applescript on the Mac platform

• Level 5*

If you are dong a GTD or TSW type process you might search the forum.  You will find numerous threads extolling the virtues of the notebook or tag implementations. 

I use a combination of tags for non date sensitive items and EN reminders for date sensitive items.  When I complete a tag based item I use a hotkey created with PhraseExpress to add _Completed 12/12/2016 10:18 AM to the note and delete the action tag.  A search on _Compl* returns all of those completed tasks.  When you Mark as Done a reminder the reminderdonetime field is updated which can be used in searches and sorts.  I have various saved searches to navigate the dated reminders per the screen shot below.  Not saying this is the right way to do it, just some food for thought for you.

Image.png

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Basically, what I want is an additional column titled 'Original Notebook', or titled something shorter that means 'Original Notebook'.

AFAIK, can't do it using native Evernote.

If you're using EN Mac, this would be easy using AppleScript.

• 1 month later...

I have read the above information and more about moving a note. I have gone to list of notes and selected a note to move and r Clicked.  I get a non evernote specific list of options such as - Back, Forward, reload, save as etc.  No "move to Notebook".  many thanks

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ThereseC said:

I have read the above information and more about moving a note. I have gone to list of notes and selected a note to move and r Clicked.  I get a non evernote specific list of options such as - Back, Forward, reload, save as etc.  No "move to Notebook".  many thanks

Again, you'll get better answers if you identify your platformScreen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.01.23 PM.png.  Here's the menu I get when right-clicking on my Mac

On the web platform, you can click on the notebook in the note window

Screen Shot 2017-01-15 at 12.24.09 PM.png

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, ThereseC said:

If you are on the web, you have to click the drop down next to the current notebook in the note header area, then select the destination notebook from the list.

Archived