Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.13.1 Beta 1

Idea

Hi Folks - 

Version 6.13.1 fixes some bugs users have been encountering around reminders and sync. It also introduces an improvement to make it easier to troubleshoot specific notes failing to sync. We expect to GA next week, so please help us confirm the fixes and let us know if you encounter any issues with there. 

You can download the beta here, or check for updates to get the latest.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

------------------

Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 Release Notes

Fixed:

• A fix for an issue where reminders overlap text and omit notes on macOS 10.13.1
  • A fix for an issue where sync intermittently fails for some users after clipping content from the web (CDATA error seen in log)
  • An improvement to make it easier to detect and troubleshoot specific notes that are failing to sync - if you see an exclamation mark on a note in the note list (for snippet and card view) and a red dot in the sync status column for the list views, it's a problematic note
  • Like 2

22 replies to this idea

Looks like the issue with subject / title cursor focus has been fixed in this latest beta release. I had noted it started ~Mac 6.12 GA:

THANK YOU! I was getting really tired of the workaround. (use keyboard shortcut to get to tags and then 'tab down' to Title.

(Please don't re-break it! No regressions please. =)  )

• Like 1

Hi there.  Downloaded 6.13.1 Beta 1, hoping to fix sync problem.  Have ~40 notes (of 9000) that will not sync.  This did not fix it but do now have red non-sync flag next to them.  Seems like CDATA related error from logs (pasted in just ONE example below).    I can not divine what is special about these notes.  They have all been updated since October 6th (which is when I assume I downloaded a new version).  Many notes also updated/created since that time DO sync.  Most are notes created from Airmail widget (not from Web clipper).  But many notes otherwise created from Airmail do sync properly.  It is not related, as far as I can tell, to attachments or embedded images.  Pattern not obvious.  But it is making app, which is indispensable to my workflow, almost unusable as it continuously grinds through attempting to sync.  It would be better if I could turn off syncing or force it to not sync except on a schedule.  Premium user and have opened a support ticket.  Please help - slowly losing me after many happy years!

* The Activity Log may contain information about your account and notes.
* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.
* When providing log information, feel free to edit the file to remove anything
* you do not want to send us.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772)
   Locale: en-US-US
   WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
 *redacted username/email
Mac Model: MacBookAir6,2
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 1.700000 GHz
      RAM: 8.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-14 18:09:35 +0000

2017/11/14 13:02:22:949 I|*   29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:]_block_invoke | Creating note on service: Fwd: NEN October Monthly Update- CONFIDENTIAL
2017/11/14 13:02:23:116 W|**  29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:] |     note exception thrown: <EDAMUserException: 0x608004267000; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>
2017/11/14 13:02:23:116 E|*** 29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Errors) addSyncErrorForObjectWithID:title:message:underlyingError:] | Adding error: Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "The content is invalid." UserInfo={underlyingError=<EDAMUserException: 0x608004267000; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Could not sync note ‘Fwd: NEN October Monthly Update- CONFIDENTIAL’., localObjectID=0xe4b00008b <x-coredata://FD1C4B62-57A7-4BEE-ADC0-6C95ED403192/ENNote/p14636>, NSLocalizedDescription=The content is invalid.}

@trmetz Thanks for reporting. If you make a change to the note "Fwd: NEN October Monthly Update- CONFIDENTIAL", will that note sync successfully? In other words, go into that note and add any character and try to sync it. 

3 hours ago, trmetz said:

Have ~40 notes (of 9000) that will not sync. 

Is it possible to export these notes in enex and html formats?  This would give you some options for dealing with those specific notes.

@nicolml Modifying each note did the trick - thank you very much.  However, I was just able to create another note (through Airmail widget/clipper) that would NOT sync (red dot).  Then changing a letter meant that it would sync.  So there is still something fussy going on that needs fixed (though work-around means I can use the application again)

@DTLow I had exported in enex format and then reimported, without any success (before tip above).  When I export in HTML format I can't figure out to import.

@trmetz Glad the workaround did the trick. There's something going on in the enml of these emails that Evernote doesn't like and refuses to upload. If you forward the email via your "@m.evernote.com" instead of the Airmail clipper, do you have the same problem? 

@nicolmlWhen I forward the same email, it does NOT have the sync problem.  To be clear, though, many notes derived from the Airmail clipper also do NOT have the sync problem.  But your suggestion is helpful because for now will just stop using clipper and hope sync issues don't reappear.  (I am 99% sure that a few of the 40 notes with the sync problem were NOT clipped, by the way, but hard for me to recreate now having fixed them all.  Thus my instinct is the problem is not unique to the clipper translation.)  Thanks for help.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trmetz said:

When I export in HTML format I can't figure out to import.

Just an fyi on how to import an html export file.  Just drag it onto the Evernote icon.  A new note is created along with attachments
I use the html export as part of my backup procedures

• Like 1

@Chantal Leonard 

Bugs to be addressed:

• Note titles do not print
  • Annotate PDF may crash EN
  • Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

All three are confirmed as known bugs by EN customer service reps.

When will these bugs be fixed?

Hello , it's still doesn't fix the "no window at all" after few days of evernote installation/reinstallation/reboot.

* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.

WebKit: 604.3.5
  WebCore: 604.3.5
 Username: <not signed in>
    Email: <not signed in>
Mac Model: MacBookPro11,4
CPU Count: 8
CPU Speed: 2.200000 GHz
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-16 21:28:54 +0000

2017/11/16 22:21:23:115 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to 

On 2017-11-14 at 3:29 PM, adorno's gray said:

@Chantal Leonard 

Bugs to be addressed:

• Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

All three are confirmed as known bugs by EN customer service reps.

When will these bugs be fixed?

Upgraded to the beta (Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772 Direct)).

Updates:

Fixed, although the dialogue box is unnecessarily large (see attached screenshot).

Still crashes EN; both "Annotate this PDF" and "Annotate a copy of this PDF"

Still fail to print.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.22.37.png

On 11/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, AlexIII said:

Hello , it's still doesn't fix the "no window at all" after few days of evernote installation/reinstallation/reboot.

Thanks for reporting. This is resolved in the next beta update.

Thanks,

On 2017-11-17 at 10:25 AM, adorno's gray said:

Upgraded to the beta (Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772 Direct)).

Updates:

Fixed, although the dialogue box is unnecessarily large (see attached screenshot).

Still crashes EN; both "Annotate this PDF" and "Annotate a copy of this PDF"

Still fail to print.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.22.37.png

The ability to annotate a PDF is a "premium" feature. Will this be fixed in the next release? If not, when will you refund my money?

On 11/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, adorno's gray said:

Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

This will be fixed in the next beta (6.13.2 Beta 1) so we can get the fixes out in 6.13.1 to our GA users. We're investigating both the issue around some PDFs crashing on annotation and the note tilte not printing - if @adorno's gray you  could send your crash log to @nicolml , that'd be much appreciated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This will be fixed in the next beta (6.13.2 Beta 1) so we can get the fixes out in 6.13.1 to our GA users. We're investigating both the issue around some PDFs crashing on annotation and the note tilte not printing - if @adorno's gray you  could send your crash log to @nicolml , that'd be much appreciated. 

Indeed, this has been fixed in the beta release (thank you!). I will send my log to @nicolml. Thanks for the followup.

54 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Not sure when this feature broke, but it's your decision to select the version to install.  

I don't see this as a refund situation

A paying user ought to be able to use the latest version.

Edited by adorno's gray
to be kind

7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

PDF annotation seems to be fixed since restarting after installing the beta. 2/3, getting there! Thanks for rectifying these issues.

33 minutes ago, Ignacy said:

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 108696-notebook-layout/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 80371-different-colors-for-highlighter/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 52260-mac-find-and-replace/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 94974-dark-mode-for-mac-client/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 88355-internal-table-of-contents-that-links-to-headings-or-anchors-within-the-note-not-linking-to-other-notes/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 91052-please-please-please-support-selectively-sync-notebooks/

I don't think there's a need to go on with the list of requests

I recently updated to this and I can no longer access Evernote on my computer– everything's greyed out.

Evernote has Account Info and Rate Evernote for Mac greyed out. Preferences isn't greyed out but nothing pops up when I click it.
File has everything but Close greyed out
Note has everything greyed out

Activity log gives me this:

WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
 Username: <not signed in>
    Email: <not signed in>
Mac Model: iMac16,2
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 2.800000 GHz
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-20 05:02:00 +0000

2017/11/19 21:00:40:105 I|*   main  +[ENAppController initialize]_block_invoke | app bundle path = /Applications/Evernote.app
2017/11/19 21:00:40:273 I|*   main  -[ENAppController(Helper) setupHelperIPC] | Evernote client registered for IPC
2017/11/19 21:00:40:348 E|*** main  -[ENAppController(Helper) refreshHelperPreferences] | Evernote was not able to access EvernoteHelper via IPC
2017/11/19 21:00:40:630 I|*   conn  -[ENConnectivityMonitor checkReachabilityForHost:] | Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...
2017/11/19 21:00:40:630 I|*   cona  -[ENConnectivityMonitor checkReachabilityForHost:] | Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...
2017/11/19 21:00:40:634 I|*   conn  +[ENConnectivityMonitor internetIsReachable] |   reachability result: OK
2017/11/19 21:00:40:634 I|*   cona  +[ENConnectivityMonitor internetIsReachable] |   reachability result: OK
2017/11/19 21:00:40:672 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to jorgarr/********
2017/11/19 21:00:40:758 W|**  19602 -[ENAppController checkSpotlightImporter] | mdimport reported no importer for Evernote

I don't know what to do at all.

5 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

A paying user ought to be able to use the latest version.

All users are entitled to install the latest app version (v6.13.1 Beta 1)

Before installing, I think it's important to review the feature changes and bug reports.  I don't upgrade if I can't work with the new version

Also, note this is a labeled as "Beta" which indicates a risk of bugs and data corruption

>>The idea that one should use an older version is absurd

If I encounter a bug I can't work around, I revert back to the previous version.  I'm not going to let these things hold me back.  We even have users still on v6.11

21 minutes ago, adorno's gray said:

The ability to annotate a PDF is a "premium" feature. Will this be fixed in the next release? If not, when will you refund my money?

Not sure when this feature broke, but it's your decision to select the version to install.  

I don't see this as a refund situation