white

notebook layout

Idea

44 replies to this idea

iamsteve13    4

This lack of grid view has completely thrown off the way I interact with Evernote. Please bring back, I am a paid user, and I make no threats of leaving as Evernote is my life, I am trying to just appeal to your desire to provide the product your customers need.

Thanks.

• Like 4

LiJu    4

This change really sucks for visual thinkers who see things in 2 or 3 dimensions!  The old Notebook icon layout allowed me to find things by their location and not necessarily by the title.  It gave me a quick visual overview of all my notebooks in just a few scrolls.  Now, I am forced to think of the title first in order to find it.  I then have to scroll endlessly (which is terribly distracting when you have something on your mind that you want to get down).  Most times I have to scroll back up since I missed what I was looking for.  The old Notebook icon was more efficient since it's layout was not only up and down but also left to right.  This shortens considerably the time it takes to find a Notebook.

Now I have to rethink the titles of some notebooks in order to better organize some frequently used Notebooks to the TOP (the TOP now being significantly less!).  I had to get use to  this change on the iPad (which I hated and still do) but my use of the iPad is different since I use it to find notes more than compose notes, therefore, the distraction of endless scrolling was less of an issue.  I use Evernote on my Mac to compose notes where I am thinking, researching and problem solving.  The scrolling on the Mac version becomes a detriment to fluid thinking.  This change has really affected how I "see" my Notebooks and most likely it will affect my productivity immensely.

Like White said above, let your users choose!!!

• Like 4

abunur    4

I am in the same boat - I hate the new UI and had I known about this change I wouldn't have updated Evernote on my Mac.  This is totally ridiculous and makes me want to find an alternative to Evernote.  And I am a very, very long time Evernote power user.  I just started using Bear which has a much better design and UX, I was just going to use the free version in addition to Evernote but this change is seriously hindering my productivity.  Tags are much more intuitive in Bear and it supports Markdown, too, btw.  Still not sure if it's a suitable substitute for Evernote, I hope the Evernote team decides to allow the old Notebook view back soon.

• Like 4

Sdev    2

I agree that this notebook interface lacks user-friendly options, and is extremely limited for what I need. I definitely preferred the old layout

• Like 2

Ncwilson    3

I am the same as above! Change it back or give the option between the two! Was the concept designed by someone who doesn't use Evernote? Or use it everyday with many notebooks?

• Like 3

rrunning    3

This upgrade clearly has to be an oversight.  No one is silly enough to enrage loyal users by removing the main "home" metaphor and not even make it an option.  Especially when that metaphor is an option in other areas (e.g., when viewing cards - View>Cardview).  Please tell us that this is just a silly mistake.  Please?!  PLEASE!!!

• Like 3

micheleley    4

Please please please return to the stack view for Notebooks. I VERY much dislike the current list view. Why not offer a choice? I'm really concerned about the developer sensibility - this feels / seems like we're chumps who simply must take whatever we're given rather than have users' wishes taken into consideration. Sigh.

• Like 2

McGov    3
Does anyone know why it was removed??
Having the book option was great. The new look for notebooks is brutal. Why change something that works??

Can we please have the notebook option back???
Please consider bringing the "book" view back to the app for Mac.

• Like 1

NateO    2

I've been trying to fix this for days, thinking it was something I did. Please bring back this option, Evernote is much less useful to me without it.

• Like 2

Ignacy    3

Dear Evernote team,

I absolutely love(d) your app, it changed the way I interact with my computer in so many positive ways and I've always been promoting and recommending it to all of my acquaintances and friends. The removal of the grid/multicolumn viewing option completely destroys the efficient Evernote user experience I had to this point. It may be practical for those who do not have a lot of notebooks, but for those who do  - in other words, the real aficionado and loyal Evernote user base - it's a disaster! The lack of a grid/multicolumn view is seriously going to slow down our productivity :( Please don't do this. You may lose a lot of users (old and new)!!!

• Like 1

Ignacy    3

Switching back to a previous version is never a good option since you don't want to run the risk that suddenly your Evernote stop will stop working in future OS updates. Evernote, please bring back the Grid/MultiColumn view!

LAlfonso    0

AGREED! I chose Evernote because of it's visual card layout. Don't like this updated view; will try to go back, but that will mean no more upgrades and no more renewals.

janstet    5

Have to add another vote to bring back the old grid view. The new update adds so much friction to users with large stacks. 

• Like 3

Joel Culley    1

Unbelievable update. What on earth are they thinking. Removing a key feature completely rather than just giving it as an option. The mind truly boggles. 

I'm in the early stages of using this app, so seriously considering moving over to one of the other options. Any recommendations? 

Swingingly    0

OMG yes, please bring Notebook layout back!  I spent 20 minutes looking for the preference setting that would allow me to get out of this eye-numbing list view and back to notebooks. I'm here looking for clues as to how to do it and am disappointed to see that its not an option. Please bring it back.  I am with everyone else in this thread - that view worked so well. I'm not usually one to fuss over inevitable changes, but this one has been quite disappointing. 

Paul Kan    0

I hate the new lay-out so much that I might switch platforms for my business.  Give us back the notebook view that made Evernote so much easier to find things.  This new format sucks.

OnAWhim    0

I've been an Evernote devotee for 4 years and this is the first time I've ever posted to any of these forums.  I had to though - this change was soooooooooooo disappointing!  Ugh! 

The visual aspect of this app was a BIG part of what made it so special.  Hate the list view.  Will continue to use it, but will not be singing praises about Evernote to my friends any longer.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE restore the graphic notebook view.

jrzap    13

Evernote just made a new update but they didn't fix the Notebook layout! 

C'mon let, us know if you will fix it or not so we can leave Evernote. Someone at Evernote is always "figuring out" ways of aggravating loyal users!

• Thanks 2

C. Sander    3

I love the concept of Evernote but hate this change so much that it will probably lose my custom. I subscribe in the hope of improvements - not downgrades. It's high time the notebooks were customisable but having the basic notebook replaced with a clunky list is inexcusable. A very poor show.

• Like 3

Sri Nathan    2

As someone suggested, there is an option to go back to the previous version but I am afraid to do so. Has anyone successfully done this?

Maybe a better option is to switch to another product. Can anyone here evaluated an equivalent product? I know it is a pain to switch App after using it for a while (particularly with multiple notebooks), but it is inconsiderate of Evernote to simply remove a feature.

• Like 1