Evernote for Mac 6.13.1 Beta 1

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks - 

Version 6.13.1 fixes some bugs users have been encountering around reminders and sync. It also introduces an improvement to make it easier to troubleshoot specific notes failing to sync. We expect to GA next week, so please help us confirm the fixes and let us know if you encounter any issues with there. 

You can download the beta here, or check for updates to get the latest.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

------------------

Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 Release Notes

Fixed:

• A fix for an issue where reminders overlap text and omit notes on macOS 10.13.1
  • A fix for an issue where sync intermittently fails for some users after clipping content from the web (CDATA error seen in log)
  • An improvement to make it easier to detect and troubleshoot specific notes that are failing to sync - if you see an exclamation mark on a note in the note list (for snippet and card view) and a red dot in the sync status column for the list views, it's a problematic note

37 replies to this idea

Hi DT, thanks for the reply. I have already reinstalled the program twice on my laptop and desktop, and I keep getting the same problem.

I also tried installing an older version, but I got messages saying my current data was not compatible with the old version. Evernote does NOT make it simple to find older versions, and I found one that was too old (6.11)

If you know where I can find 13.1 or something around that, it might be enough.

thanks,

Fernando

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Ignacy said:

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 108696-notebook-layout/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 80371-different-colors-for-highlighter/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 52260-mac-find-and-replace/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 94974-dark-mode-for-mac-client/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 88355-internal-table-of-contents-that-links-to-headings-or-anchors-within-the-note-not-linking-to-other-notes/

Please please please address the following urgent problem! 91052-please-please-please-support-selectively-sync-notebooks/

I don't think there's a need to go on with the list of requests

I recently updated to this and I can no longer access Evernote on my computer– everything's greyed out.

Evernote has Account Info and Rate Evernote for Mac greyed out. Preferences isn't greyed out but nothing pops up when I click it.
File has everything but Close greyed out
Note has everything greyed out

Activity log gives me this:

* The Activity Log may contain information about your account and notes.
* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.
* When providing log information, feel free to edit the file to remove anything
* you do not want to send us.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772)
   Locale: en-US-US
   WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
 Username: <not signed in>
    Email: <not signed in>
Mac Model: iMac16,2
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 2.800000 GHz
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-20 05:02:00 +0000

2017/11/19 21:00:40:105 I|*   main  +[ENAppController initialize]_block_invoke | app bundle path = /Applications/Evernote.app
2017/11/19 21:00:40:273 I|*   main  -[ENAppController(Helper) setupHelperIPC] | Evernote client registered for IPC
2017/11/19 21:00:40:348 E|*** main  -[ENAppController(Helper) refreshHelperPreferences] | Evernote was not able to access EvernoteHelper via IPC
2017/11/19 21:00:40:630 I|*   conn  -[ENConnectivityMonitor checkReachabilityForHost:] | Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...
2017/11/19 21:00:40:630 I|*   cona  -[ENConnectivityMonitor checkReachabilityForHost:] | Checking reachability for www.evernote.com...
2017/11/19 21:00:40:634 I|*   conn  +[ENConnectivityMonitor internetIsReachable] |   reachability result: OK
2017/11/19 21:00:40:634 I|*   cona  +[ENConnectivityMonitor internetIsReachable] |   reachability result: OK
2017/11/19 21:00:40:672 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to jorgarr/********
2017/11/19 21:00:40:758 W|**  19602 -[ENAppController checkSpotlightImporter] | mdimport reported no importer for Evernote

I don't know what to do at all.

I updated to the most recently Evernote version (hoping it would be fixed) but still having problems.  When launching evernote from my MacBook Air, applications tray - it launches the toolbar but does not actually open.  NOTE: I can access my account from the web browser but not as convenient.  Please provide an update on the fix - Thanks.

* For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13.1 (455785)
   WebKit: 604.3.5
  WebCore: 604.3.5
Mac Model: MacBookAir7,2
CPU Speed: 2.200000 GHz
      RAM: 8.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-23 02:57:15 +0000

2017/11/22 20:45:55:641 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to ******/*********

On 11/22/2017 at 9:08 PM, rlpixler said:

I updated to the most recently Evernote version (hoping it would be fixed) but still having problems.  When launching evernote from my MacBook Air, applications tray - it launches the toolbar but does not actually open.  NOTE: I can access my account from the web browser but not as convenient.  Please provide an update on the fix - Thanks.

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13.1 (455785)
Mac Model: MacBookAir7,2
     Date: 2017-11-23 02:57:15 +0000

2017/11/22 20:45:55:641 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to ******/*********

Hello Evernote team - do you have an update on this?  I really hope you do

Thanks!

I'm using 6.13.1 and ran into the "No auth in keychain. We can not login to" problem. I just blogged about my workaround. The short summary is to use EvernoteHelper in the menu bar to create a note by taking a screenshot, writing text, etc. That will force a login dialog that restores an entry for Evernote in Keychain Access. At least it worked for me.

Hi Chantal,

this is URGENT, please. After updating to Version 6.13.3 (455969 Direct), Editor: 1.30.3433 (fec246b) on both my desktop and laptop, I cannot ANYTHING on my existing notes, in ANy of the computers, only on new ones!!! IT only works if I go online, which is not very practical for me. I keep getting the message “Note content is invalid” with anything I write or modify (including formatting).

This is a disaster. I have not done updates in a long time, because of major problems with one of the (now old) updates, and now this. 

Help?

thanks,

Fernando

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, fvg said:

this is URGENT, please. After updating to Version 6.13.3 (455969 Direct)

You might want to post in the release discussion at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/110772-evernote-for-mac-6133-ga/

I don't spend a lot of time troubleshooting my devices.  For a corrupted install, my solution is

• Remove Evernote from your device: app, database, ...  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this
  • Start fresh with a clean install on the app.  Login and the database will be rebuilt from the server.  Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This will be fixed in the next beta (6.13.2 Beta 1) so we can get the fixes out in 6.13.1 to our GA users. We're investigating both the issue around some PDFs crashing on annotation and the note tilte not printing - if @adorno's gray you  could send your crash log to @nicolml , that'd be much appreciated. 

PDF annotation seems to be fixed since restarting after installing the beta. 2/3, getting there! Thanks for rectifying these issues.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, fvg said:

I have already reinstalled the program twice on my laptop and desktop, and I keep getting the same problem.

Note my solution is to completely remove Evernote; app, database and other components.  Then do a clean install

>>Evernote does NOT make it simple to find older versions,

Every release discussion, including this one, begins with a link to download  the version 

You can download the beta here,

I did remove Evernote first. I am not sure what you mean by database and other components. I moved the program in the trash, erased it and reinstalled it.

I am looking for an older version to reinstall, not 13.3, but 13.1 or 12 and see if it can work.

thanks,

Fernando

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, fvg said:

I did remove Evernote first. I am not sure what you mean by database and other components.

Your installation includes an app, a database, and various components.  You can replace the app, but it won't help if your issue is with  the database.  

Also, it's not a good idea to mix versions like app at v6.12, database at v3.13

>>I am looking for an older version to reinstall, not 13.3, but 13.1 or 12 and see if it can work.

I would look  for the release discussion for v13.1 or v12.  It includes a link to download the software

I reported this on 31 July 2017 on 6.12 Beta 2 and it has come back again as a bug on the MAS version (Version 6.13.1 (455786 App Store))

I have noticed a couple of irritating formating issues - 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph. Very annoying as it interrupts the flow of note taking. 

Why are these bugs coming back after being corrected? Is there no process to make sure this doesn't happen? 

Can you tell me this is being updated in the next release? 

Thanks
Sail  

On 1/3/2018 at 6:24 AM, sail said:

I reported this on 31 July 2017 on 6.12 Beta 2 and it has come back again as a bug on the MAS version (Version 6.13.1 (455786 App Store))

I have noticed a couple of irritating formating issues - 

- Typing some auto text like emojis and any TextExpander expansions (with a space afterwards it seems), takes the cursor to the end of the paragraph. Very annoying as it interrupts the flow of note taking. 

Why are these bugs coming back after being corrected? Is there no process to make sure this doesn't happen? 

Can you tell me this is being updated in the next release? 

Thanks
Sail  

There is an open bug for this and this feature is included in testing, however it is lower priority than other editor issues 

I was able to reinstall 6.12 on my desktop and it now works fine. Strangely, the laptop, still with 6.13.3 is now also working fine!

This is what I really would like to see from Evernote: Update message links about new updates should give the OPTION to INSTALL PREVIOUS VERSIONS.

I had 6.10 and I kept skipping new updates because of a major problem I had with my previous update (it was a disaster well reported in many forums here). So, when 6.13 was around I thought things would be more stable. 

Granted, any last update is subject to bugs. If I had the option to update to a tested 6.12, I would not have the problems I went through.

So, I repeat: Evernote, instead of automatic downloads, please give the option to go to a page where all previous updates are available.

Thanks. 

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, fvg said:

So, I repeat: Evernote, instead of automatic downloads, please give the option to go to a page where all previous updates are available.

Currently, there is no single version download page.  
However each release (including this one) has a post with a link to download the version's software

I've turned off automatic downloads.  I prefer to have control of the software versions on my devices

Currently, there is no single page.  

However each release (including this one) has a post with a link to download the version's software

That does not help me when I am trying to do an update from the program. I should not have to do a search for posts, it should be simple for users to decide which update they want to do.

Apparently, there is a case in Evernote where it can't find your stored credentials in the keychain but doesn't know to ask you to log in again. In the logs is shows "No Auth in keychain can't log in..." When this happens you can see the Evernote menu bar but not your notes. The easiest solution to the "no auth" issue is to do something to trigger a new login. If you press Ctl-Alt-N or ctl-cmd-N for macs as a shortcut to try to enter a new note in Evernote it will fail to authenticate and present the login in screen. This should let you login and get to your notes!

Looks like the issue with subject / title cursor focus has been fixed in this latest beta release. I had noted it started ~Mac 6.12 GA:

THANK YOU! I was getting really tired of the workaround. (use keyboard shortcut to get to tags and then 'tab down' to Title.

(Please don't re-break it! No regressions please. =)  )

Hi there.  Downloaded 6.13.1 Beta 1, hoping to fix sync problem.  Have ~40 notes (of 9000) that will not sync.  This did not fix it but do now have red non-sync flag next to them.  Seems like CDATA related error from logs (pasted in just ONE example below).    I can not divine what is special about these notes.  They have all been updated since October 6th (which is when I assume I downloaded a new version).  Many notes also updated/created since that time DO sync.  Most are notes created from Airmail widget (not from Web clipper).  But many notes otherwise created from Airmail do sync properly.  It is not related, as far as I can tell, to attachments or embedded images.  Pattern not obvious.  But it is making app, which is indispensable to my workflow, almost unusable as it continuously grinds through attempting to sync.  It would be better if I could turn off syncing or force it to not sync except on a schedule.  Premium user and have opened a support ticket.  Please help - slowly losing me after many happy years!

WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
 *redacted username/email
Mac Model: MacBookAir6,2
CPU Speed: 1.700000 GHz
     Date: 2017-11-14 18:09:35 +0000

2017/11/14 13:02:22:949 I|*   29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:]_block_invoke | Creating note on service: Fwd: NEN October Monthly Update- CONFIDENTIAL
2017/11/14 13:02:23:116 W|**  29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:] |     note exception thrown: <EDAMUserException: 0x608004267000; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>
2017/11/14 13:02:23:116 E|*** 29514 -[ENSyncEngine(Errors) addSyncErrorForObjectWithID:title:message:underlyingError:] | Adding error: Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "The content is invalid." UserInfo={underlyingError=<EDAMUserException: 0x608004267000; errorCode = ENML_VALIDATION; parameter = Illegal to contain CDATA;>, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Could not sync note ‘Fwd: NEN October Monthly Update- CONFIDENTIAL’., localObjectID=0xe4b00008b <x-coredata://FD1C4B62-57A7-4BEE-ADC0-6C95ED403192/ENNote/p14636>, NSLocalizedDescription=The content is invalid.}

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, trmetz said:

Have ~40 notes (of 9000) that will not sync. 

Is it possible to export these notes in enex and html formats?  This would give you some options for dealing with those specific notes.

@nicolml Modifying each note did the trick - thank you very much.  However, I was just able to create another note (through Airmail widget/clipper) that would NOT sync (red dot).  Then changing a letter meant that it would sync.  So there is still something fussy going on that needs fixed (though work-around means I can use the application again)

@DTLow I had exported in enex format and then reimported, without any success (before tip above).  When I export in HTML format I can't figure out to import.

@trmetz Glad the workaround did the trick. There's something going on in the enml of these emails that Evernote doesn't like and refuses to upload. If you forward the email via your "@m.evernote.com" instead of the Airmail clipper, do you have the same problem? 

@nicolmlWhen I forward the same email, it does NOT have the sync problem.  To be clear, though, many notes derived from the Airmail clipper also do NOT have the sync problem.  But your suggestion is helpful because for now will just stop using clipper and hope sync issues don't reappear.  (I am 99% sure that a few of the 40 notes with the sync problem were NOT clipped, by the way, but hard for me to recreate now having fixed them all.  Thus my instinct is the problem is not unique to the clipper translation.)  Thanks for help.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, trmetz said:

When I export in HTML format I can't figure out to import.

Just an fyi on how to import an html export file.  Just drag it onto the Evernote icon.  A new note is created along with attachments
I use the html export as part of my backup procedures

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

A paying user ought to be able to use the latest version.

All users are entitled to install the latest app version (v6.13.1 Beta 1)

Before installing, I think it's important to review the feature changes and bug reports.  I don't upgrade if I can't work with the new version

Also, note this is a labeled as "Beta" which indicates a risk of bugs and data corruption

>>The idea that one should use an older version is absurd

If I encounter a bug I can't work around, I revert back to the previous version.  I'm not going to let these things hold me back.  We even have users still on v6.11

Hello , it's still doesn't fix the "no window at all" after few days of evernote installation/reinstallation/reboot.

Mac Model: MacBookPro11,4
CPU Count: 8
      RAM: 16.000000 GB
     Date: 2017-11-16 21:28:54 +0000

2017/11/16 22:21:23:115 E|*** main  -[ENAppController loginToAuthorizedAccountsOrAskToLogin]_block_invoke | No auth in keychain. We can not login to 

On 2017-11-14 at 3:29 PM, adorno's gray said:

@Chantal Leonard 

Bugs to be addressed:

• Note titles do not print
  • Annotate PDF may crash EN
  • Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

All three are confirmed as known bugs by EN customer service reps.

When will these bugs be fixed?

Upgraded to the beta (Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772 Direct)).

Updates:

• Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

Fixed, although the dialogue box is unnecessarily large (see attached screenshot).

Still crashes EN; both "Annotate this PDF" and "Annotate a copy of this PDF"

Still fail to print.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.22.37.png

On 11/16/2017 at 3:30 PM, AlexIII said:

Hello , it's still doesn't fix the "no window at all" after few days of evernote installation/reinstallation/reboot.

Thanks for reporting. This is resolved in the next beta update.

Thanks,

On 2017-11-17 at 10:25 AM, adorno's gray said:

Upgraded to the beta (Version 6.13.1 Beta 1 (455772 Direct)).

Updates:

Fixed, although the dialogue box is unnecessarily large (see attached screenshot).

Still crashes EN; both "Annotate this PDF" and "Annotate a copy of this PDF"

Still fail to print.

Screen Shot 2017-11-17 at 10.22.37.png

The ability to annotate a PDF is a "premium" feature. Will this be fixed in the next release? If not, when will you refund my money?

On 11/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, adorno's gray said:

Cannot publish any notebook (unusual "This is probably not what you were searching for" dialogue box instead arises)

This will be fixed in the next beta (6.13.2 Beta 1) so we can get the fixes out in 6.13.1 to our GA users. We're investigating both the issue around some PDFs crashing on annotation and the note tilte not printing - if @adorno's gray you  could send your crash log to @nicolml , that'd be much appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Indeed, this has been fixed in the beta release (thank you!). I will send my log to @nicolml. Thanks for the followup.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, adorno's gray said:

The ability to annotate a PDF is a "premium" feature. Will this be fixed in the next release? If not, when will you refund my money?

Not sure when this feature broke, but it's your decision to select the version to install.  

I don't see this as a refund situation

Archived