2019 Calendar Templates Read more... ×
chunkit721

Different Colors for Highlighter

Idea

Hmm I counter this problem for a while.

It seems to me that I can only change the color of the font rather than the highlight when I call out the "show colors" option under format.

Does it mean there is only one color available for highlight at the moment?

• Like 5

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting different highlighter colors have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for different highlighter colors here!

• Like 4

If it helps, in the meantime, you could copy paste highlight "swatches" from software like MS Word and paste them into a master note in Evernote that you can reference easily. I know, right? Probably not worth it. It depends how much you want it.

Frank, thanks for the suggestion, but that really doesn't work.  The purpose of a highlighter is to emphasize something AS you are reading it.  Going to another app would be way too much distraction/work.

It's not like this is something hard.  Every other app I have used that offers a highlight tool also offers a choice of colors.

• Like 6

Seems like people who made Evernote, don't use it. Highlighting with different colour is the most basic of things while making notes. It looks stupid on the part of the coder, that he/she gave complete colour palette to colour the text but not to highlight it. Makes absolutely no sense. 

And even after so many upgrades over the years, they have not included this option in their software. This is height of idiocy. 

Sometimes its good to look at the competition. Have a look at microsoft Onenote. Its got tons of editing options. The only reason why people use evernote is that they haven't ever used Onenote. 

I've used both the softwares and like Onenote more than Evernote.

Coders at Evernote... Wake up.. Bring more editing options like Onenote has....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Here are 2 half-decent workarounds I've tinkered with that you can use via Chrome extensions on the Web Client:

AlterNote:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/alternote-editor/hljkfahiahjhhpmpihngnommookkneji?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

AlterNote.gif.b0d409f9ce4e963d16c784fd38

Add-ons for Evernote Web App:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/add-ons-for-evernote-web/bnflfnhcfikgmmcmoghhejelmefpjhek?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

56f01d6a65eea_EvernoteAdd-ons.gif.e00b44

Both extensions have other features which extend Evernote's editor... such as list sorting, etc... which might be worth looking into :-)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm adding my vote to this, also as a paying customer.  It seems like such a basic requirement for note taking, and how difficult can it be to add in a few extra colours?

• Like 2

I love Evernote but don't like that they have not listened to this request that has been around for several years so I canceled my premium and am no longer using it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheMattyMiller said:

i wonder why this is not available. seems so obvious. 

Maybe because this isn't a high priority  feature request.  
The vote count is Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.04.04 AM.png (upper left corner of the discussion)

Please indicate your support for the request by voting

• Like 2

Come on Evernote, don't yawn and moan about a huge todo list, just add highlight colors. Then you'll have one item less from your huge todo-list.

• Like 2

I would also like to see Evernote include choices of highlighting color.  I'm currently needing to use 3 different colors of highlighting on one note.  Changing the font color is a problem for me as I don't see as well as I used to, and the current "highlighter" color is just dark enough to make the text hard to read within it. I'm not willing to have to sign into another program to bring my Evernote stuff into just so I can highlight it in a way that will work for me.  I am going to check out OneNote and what it offers.  This could be a dealbreaker for me.

It's now already 3 years that this feature has been requested and it's disappointing that nothing has changed in that time. ?

• Like 1

+1

This is such a basic feature, it should be included.

• Like 1

I created this account solely to request this feature. Evernote team, please consider adding option to choose highlight colors.

any timeframe for this? really seems like a basic function that should be included, especially when I'm paying for Premium

• Like 1

This feature is also not available for the latest PC version.  I think adding highlighter colors is somewhat similar to the mindset behind using Post-It colors (somewhat recent team-up with Post-It), so hopefully they won't be adverse to adding that feature.

I agree and would like the capability.  As noted by cmbkln, it supports visual consistency with the "post-its" strategy.  Also, it would support highlight color theming promoted in several productivity/memory retention programs.   Additionally, for different learners - ADA and non-ADA - the ability to use different colors supports "seeing", comprehending and organizing information.   Please note - for many in these demographics, changing font colors actually generates more confusion; the productivity/advances occur and are more profound by changing/highlighting the "background" behind the font (blocks of themed data).  Dyslexia is one of the most common language-based learning disabilities (70-80%), representing approximately 5-10% of the US population (with some estimates as high as 17%).  As we move away from paper and paper based tools, it is important incorporate similar capability in digital environment for all demographics.   Thanks.  T

• Like 2

Yes, I would love it if we could change the color of the highlight. If anyone from Evernote is following this, please heed.

• Like 2

+1 Recently downloaded Evernote on a friends recommendation, but not being able to highlight text in different colors really sucks. The software looks great otherwise. 

• Like 2

Agreed - would also like this feature.  OneNote has had this capability for a long time, I'd like to see it in Evernote as well.

+1 for this feature request. Looking for it today, and this feature could have come in real handy in pointing out specific items to coworkers. 

• Like 2

I too would like to see highlighting in different colors.  I am partially color blind, and the light yellow does not stand out nearly enough as other colors like green.  Considering highlighting can be done in a variety of colors while annotating, it would be great to see this feature for text as well!

• Like 3

Different highlighter colors would be great. Really useful to distinguish between matters of different priority.

• Like 1

+1

Seems like a basic feature to include for a note taking app!

Also the current highlighting colors differ between windows and mac versions.

• Like 2

+1 for the feature of changing highlighting color ... please also add this to the other versions - windows, android.

• Like 1

+1

Desperately could use this functionality, need to categorise a check list by multiple factors. Changing the font colour just makes it eligible. I wouldn't mind if font colour was sacrificed for highlight colour ;)

No offence intendted I understand how software development can be a slow moving process. But rather than blindly changing your app ui style to follow Yosemite making it a stark ugly white box (the iOS app is so much nice to use/look at), how about some new functionality. This thread was started over a year ago after all :( 

I will try and make do, but after my premium expires I'll look somewhere else if theres no movement. I do love Evernote. 

• Like 2

It doesn't have to be a huge deal but choosing highlight colour, or at least defaulting to the highlight colour I've set in my system prefs is pretty basic. Just being able to choose from one of four would be HUGE!!!

jus' sayin'

• Like 3

Before this, I've never posted inside Evernote discussions, and am doing so now solely to +1 this feature request.

I, too, would like to use different colors to highlight different text. That type of ability to use colors to visually manage information is extremely helpful.

John

• Like 3

If it helps, in the meantime, you could copy paste highlight "swatches" from software like MS Word and paste them into a master note in Evernote that you can reference easily. I know, right? Probably not worth it. It depends how much you want it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am adding a support post for this idea.  I use highlight for various headings within a text document and it would be useful to "code" them with different colours.  Maybe a dropdown from the highlight button to give the choice of 5 or so colours?

• Like 1

Yes, please add this feature. It looks like it has been request for over 2 years now.

• Like 1

First time post in Evernote forums, been using it since it came out. +1 on he highlight colors. Never needed it until today, most times I copy and paste from word but I have a need to modify what I am pasting this time. Assumed Evernote had this basic capability.

I too love Evernote and have been using it since 2012..The ability to 'highlight' is a real need.I looked for a work around and like many on this topic, found that OneNote provided the answer.. Until Evernote address this slight deficiency, I just create the note I wish in OneNote,then,copy and paste into Evernote.. There are many reasons to use Evernote other than OneNote and at moment, it is my preference..Just one last comment,OneNote is MSFT creation and as such synchronizes with Word docs..much more simply..In my opinion Evernote should make it a priority to address the 'highlight' feature or people may switch to other notetakers...

You know what? I stopped waiting for this nonsense and instead downloaded Microsoft's One Note. They even have a tool to import your Evernote stuff. Plus it's FREE and they have plenty of highlighter colors.

Multiple highlighting colours are desperately needed by anyone who uses Evernote for serious notetaking. The lack of formatting options in general, but especially highlighting, constantly tempt me to switch to OneNote. Please add more colours. It's such a basic feature, after all.

47 minutes ago, MrsGixxer said:

canceled my premium and am no longer using it.  

I can understand needing more colour choice, and using a different product.
I use alternative editors for my annotation work  (example, Preview on my Mac).

Why would you then pay for a premium account?
Why are you still posting in the Evernote User forums?

At least share with us what service you're using now.

Maybe we should first ask for only one additional color, let's say red. That might be less challenging of a task for them to implement ?

Thank you all for your continued votes and feedback. To gather more specifics, can you please provide real-world scenarios on how you work and where different highlighters would make an impactful difference helping your workflow? Personal and collaborative situations described would be very useful based on your experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jay-Bob,

Thank you for picking this up.  I'm sure we all appreciate it and I'm trying real hard not to sound like a total jerk, but this does not need a trade-study.  I see that the first post in this thread is almost 5 years old, and if I understand correctly, there are other related threads.  I think that reading the thread(s) should provide what you are looking for.

thank you,

chan

• Like 1

In addition to what Metrodon said, this sort of feature isn't what your premium payments cover (considering that the highlight feature is available to both free and premium users alike).

I agree with the other users that highlighting in different colors should be available. I've found a way around it...but it requires formating your document in Word and then pasting it into Evernote. A lot of extra work

• Like 1

+1. I've been on board with EN since there were only 260,000 or so of us, and this is my first post. I tried some of the new products out there, but they always left me underwhelmed. I don't know how hard it would be to deploy, but being able to highlight parts of notes in different colors would be extremely helpful. As a Premium member, I might even be willing to kick in a few extra bucks for the option  :) 

Keep up the great work!!!

• Like 1

Does it mean there is only one color available for highlight at the moment?

That’s correct.

On a related note, I do get inconsistencies in the highlight colors:

1. I highlighted on iPad
  2. I view on MAC

Now I see the faded-orange highlight color from the iPad version in MAC. If I rehighlight on MAC, I get the banana-yellow color.

Today, using all the latest versions.

Premium user here: Yep, went looking for this feature today and was surprised it doesnt exist. Evernote is first and forement a notebook replacement and highlighting notes in different colors is like note-taking 101. Hopefully the Evernote team gets on this. 

• Like 1

First time here in the forums, and I have no idea if suggestions here translate to implementation in future iterations, but +1 for me as well. I use Evernote (Premium) for a variety of things, and one feature I'd really love would be multiple highlighter colors - yellow is fine for "in progress", red would be nice for "work needed", and green would be great for "finished".

• Like 1

It seems that this has been introduced. Still trying to find out how the feature works

• Highlighting on the iPad gives me some kind of orange color
  • Highlighting on the Mac version gives me light yellow color.

I'm still struggling with it. But highlight on the iPad to get orange highlights, then on the Mac to add your light yellow highlights.  It even turns up in the web version with the mixed colors.

First time commenting on this.

+100 for different colours of highlighter.
I am using Evernote everyday and working with large texts, so i need this feature a badly.
Evernote's team made the first move - with different colors of text. Time for highlighter now. :)

• Like 1

Being able to highlight in more than one color is the main reason I am sticking with Onenote.

Please add this feature to Evernote

• Like 1

I was able to copy and paste text from word with other colors of highlighting into an Evernote document and retain the colors, so the package they're using for rich text support can do it, it should just be a case of adding the UI to control it... and it sure would be nice.

Almost three years have passed since this idea was proposed, and yet, there is still only one highlight color. I would love to see multiple highlight colors. 

• Like 1

+1. Basic options outstanding for years and years whilst they add other crappy stuff.

5 minutes ago, taguntumi said:

+1. Basic options outstanding for years and years whilst they add other crappy stuff.

There is a priority for requests being implemented.  
You can influence this by upvoting the request (upper left corner).
The vote for this request is currently ....Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 11.27.08 AM.png

• Like 1

As someone who has just started using Evernote over the last few months and is trying to decide whether to upgrade to Premium, not being able to highlight in multiple colors is a huge drawback.

(In general, would like a more robust text editor; but this minor, seemingly easy-to-add feature — different color highlights — would be at the very top of the list.)

+1 .. please give us more colours... yellow is not enough. and its really pale.

• Like 1

yes, i prioritize by color. would like more colors for highlighting. i wonder why this is not available. seems so obvious. 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Maybe because this isn't a high priority  feature request.  
The vote count is Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.04.04 AM.png (upper left corner of the discussion)

Or maybe it's not the most obviously accessible. +1's anywhere in the forum count... and it was once rumored that Evernote employees read through all posts. So either way. this is no secret. 

• Like 1

I have been using Evernote, about 3 years now and I am very happy with it. The one thing that I really miss from Onenote is the Florescent Mulit-Color Highlighter. How hard would that be to add to all of your platforms? In my research I use different colors for rating importance.

I have been using Evernote, about 3 years now and I am very happy with it. The one thing that I really miss from Onenote is the Florescent Mulit-Color Highlighter. How hard would that be to add to all of your platforms? In my research I use different colors for rating importance.

• Like 2

How hard would it be?  Lessee... multiple device sources for tablet,  mobile and phone,  multiple OS variations of iOS, MacOS, WIndows and Android to support with various OEM tweaks for the mobile platforms...  I'm guessing it might take a little while.  I'll happily support this though - good suggestion!  :)

12 hours ago, rdloar said:

Fully support this except I would like to see colors less saturated or option between the two. Maybe something like this....

sshot-3.jpg

• Like 4

I think that the word "highlight" indicates what the function should do, however the pale yellow in the Evernote Windows app is barely visible, so it hardly highlights at all. The poor highlight contrast is especially apparent on web-clipped pages which may contain other coloured elements such as images.

I understand that some people prefer muted colours, whilst others (such as myself) prefer much brighter fluorescent colours for highlighting, so I would suggest that the solution would be to allow users to choose.

Many applications on many different platforms have a choice of highlight colours, either as a list of predefined colours (less useful), or a fully configurable colour chooser. Examples include;

• Windows apps such as Word, Excel, LibreOffice Writer and even the minimalist Wordpad
  • Android apps such Excel and Google Docs.
  • Web-based apps such as Word Online, Gmail, Google Docs.

Evernote already has text colour selection. Couldn't a similar colour selection option be used for the Evernote highlighter?

• Like 1

+1 This would be a big help to me as I find my understanding is very influenced by the use of background colours. This seems like it should be extremely easy to implement - for example just a dropdown box if you click and hold on the highlighter tool would do. It is one of those features that I'm so used to using on almost any other software with a highlighter function that I assumed it was my mistake at first. But it seems this is indeed a missing feature, and a very conspicuous one, despite it being requested for over three years now.

Just used the highlighter for the first time. Immediately thought "Why don't I highlight different parts in different colors?"

I was quite bamboozled that I couldn't find a way to do this. Turns out this feature doesn't exist, which seems ridiculous for a note taking service.

Please DO IT.  At the very least offer a few options relevant to the feature, i.e. HIGHLIGHTING.  Like a nice highlighter style yellow, blue, green, etc.  I'm not trying to pee stain my words!

Hi. Wondering if anyone from Evernote is going to respond and provide some feedback as to whether this is a feature that will be added in an upcoming release, or if this is a feature that will not ever be implemented so we as users can set our expectations accordingly. Anyone?

Hi @MissMackBailey,

The feature request forum is a means of letting the Evernote development team know what things you'd like to see implemented, however it doesn't guarantee that the features requested will be added to the application.

16 hours ago, MissMackBailey said:

Hi. Wondering if anyone from Evernote is going to respond and provide some feedback as to whether this is a feature that will be added in an upcoming release, or if this is a feature that will not ever be implemented so we as users can set our expectations accordingly. Anyone?

In my experience, and based on the comments of some Evernote employees, they don't often announce upcoming features until they're almost ready to go (and you can see them in beta releases), nor do they often definitively rule out future development directions. All in all, It's probably better to base your expectations on what is actually in the product than what may appear some time later.

Premium user - converting to One Note if they don't get multi color highlighting. So stupid for a notes program not to have. The freebie apps I use for editing PDFs on my iPad ALL have it. Can't be hard to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lbatt said:

Premium user - converting to One Note if they don't get multi color highlighting. So stupid for a notes program not to have. The freebie apps I use for editing PDFs on my iPad ALL have it. Can't be hard to do.

There's a huge list of features not offered by Evernote, and highlighting colors is a minor entry.
However, if that is what's most important to you; you should look elsewhere.

Personally, I value EN for its data organization and search features.

I do find the note editor quite basic.  
When doing serious work, I often switch to dedicated apps.  
When finished, I export the work to PDF and store it in Evernote.

• Like 2

please make this happen!! I've been waiting for this feature since 2013. Software such as OneNote allows for various colours to highlight with.. I don't see why this has been overlooked.

• Like 1

+1

I really want different colours aswell. Except for yellow Id like green, blue, orange, pink, purple, red! Please make this happen.

I agree. I use different colors to highlight different aspects of text. Like where the conclusions are, where the questions are in the text etc. This is a very basic and needed function - especially for students.

Yes it is annoying that you can't choose a highlight colour. If you copy and paste the text to another app (Word or Text Edit) you can select a highlight colour, then copy and paste it back to Evernote. The colour is then displayed - so why can we just pick a colour instead of messing about in another app?

• Like 2

I absolutely don't understand this feature missing from the web client. Highlighting, at least in a single color, is an essential feature for annotating text.

I absolutely love this app and I find it extremely useful for my studies but I can't believe that such a great app doesn't have the option to change the highlighter's color which is an important and basic feature! 

Can you please please please add it? It would be perfect! 

• Like 2