darvil

Different Colors for Highlighter

Idea

59 replies to this idea

I, too, would like to use different colors to highlight different text. That type of ability to use colors to visually manage information is extremely helpful.

John

• Like 3

Here are 2 half-decent workarounds I've tinkered with that you can use via Chrome extensions on the Web Client:

AlterNote:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/alternote-editor/hljkfahiahjhhpmpihngnommookkneji?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

AlterNote.gif.b0d409f9ce4e963d16c784fd38

Add-ons for Evernote Web App:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/add-ons-for-evernote-web/bnflfnhcfikgmmcmoghhejelmefpjhek?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

56f01d6a65eea_EvernoteAdd-ons.gif.e00b44

Both extensions have other features which extend Evernote's editor... such as list sorting, etc... which might be worth looking into :-)

• Like 5

If it helps, in the meantime, you could copy paste highlight "swatches" from software like MS Word and paste them into a master note in Evernote that you can reference easily. I know, right? Probably not worth it. It depends how much you want it.

• Like 1

I am adding a support post for this idea.  I use highlight for various headings within a text document and it would be useful to "code" them with different colours.  Maybe a dropdown from the highlight button to give the choice of 5 or so colours?

• Like 1

If it helps, in the meantime, you could copy paste highlight "swatches" from software like MS Word and paste them into a master note in Evernote that you can reference easily. I know, right? Probably not worth it. It depends how much you want it.

Frank, thanks for the suggestion, but that really doesn't work.  The purpose of a highlighter is to emphasize something AS you are reading it.  Going to another app would be way too much distraction/work.

It's not like this is something hard.  Every other app I have used that offers a highlight tool also offers a choice of colors.

• Like 4

Seems like people who made Evernote, don't use it. Highlighting with different colour is the most basic of things while making notes. It looks stupid on the part of the coder, that he/she gave complete colour palette to colour the text but not to highlight it. Makes absolutely no sense. 

And even after so many upgrades over the years, they have not included this option in their software. This is height of idiocy. 

Sometimes its good to look at the competition. Have a look at microsoft Onenote. Its got tons of editing options. The only reason why people use evernote is that they haven't ever used Onenote. 

I've used both the softwares and like Onenote more than Evernote.

Coders at Evernote... Wake up.. Bring more editing options like Onenote has....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheMattyMiller said:

i wonder why this is not available. seems so obvious. 

Maybe because this isn't a high priority  feature request.  
The vote count is Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.04.04 AM.png (upper left corner of the discussion)

Please indicate your support for the request by voting

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Maybe because this isn't a high priority  feature request.  
The vote count is Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.04.04 AM.png (upper left corner of the discussion)

Or maybe it's not the most obviously accessible. +1's anywhere in the forum count... and it was once rumored that Evernote employees read through all posts. So either way. this is no secret. 

• Like 1

Just used the highlighter for the first time. Immediately thought "Why don't I highlight different parts in different colors?"

I was quite bamboozled that I couldn't find a way to do this. Turns out this feature doesn't exist, which seems ridiculous for a note taking service.

Please DO IT.  At the very least offer a few options relevant to the feature, i.e. HIGHLIGHTING.  Like a nice highlighter style yellow, blue, green, etc.  I'm not trying to pee stain my words!

Hi. Wondering if anyone from Evernote is going to respond and provide some feedback as to whether this is a feature that will be added in an upcoming release, or if this is a feature that will not ever be implemented so we as users can set our expectations accordingly. Anyone?

Hi @MissMackBailey,

The feature request forum is a means of letting the Evernote development team know what things you'd like to see implemented, however it doesn't guarantee that the features requested will be added to the application.

16 hours ago, MissMackBailey said:

Hi. Wondering if anyone from Evernote is going to respond and provide some feedback as to whether this is a feature that will be added in an upcoming release, or if this is a feature that will not ever be implemented so we as users can set our expectations accordingly. Anyone?

In my experience, and based on the comments of some Evernote employees, they don't often announce upcoming features until they're almost ready to go (and you can see them in beta releases), nor do they often definitively rule out future development directions. All in all, It's probably better to base your expectations on what is actually in the product than what may appear some time later.

Premium user - converting to One Note if they don't get multi color highlighting. So stupid for a notes program not to have. The freebie apps I use for editing PDFs on my iPad ALL have it. Can't be hard to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lbatt said:

Premium user - converting to One Note if they don't get multi color highlighting. So stupid for a notes program not to have. The freebie apps I use for editing PDFs on my iPad ALL have it. Can't be hard to do.

There's a huge list of features not offered by Evernote, and highlighting colors is a minor entry.
However, if that is what's most important to you; you should look elsewhere.

Personally, I value EN for its data organization and search features.

I do find the note editor quite basic.  
When doing serious work, I often switch to dedicated apps.  
When finished, I export the work to PDF and store it in Evernote.

• Like 1

please make this happen!! I've been waiting for this feature since 2013. Software such as OneNote allows for various colours to highlight with.. I don't see why this has been overlooked.

• Like 1

I agree. I use different colors to highlight different aspects of text. Like where the conclusions are, where the questions are in the text etc. This is a very basic and needed function - especially for students.

I absolutely don't understand this feature missing from the web client. Highlighting, at least in a single color, is an essential feature for annotating text.

I absolutely love this app and I find it extremely useful for my studies but I can't believe that such a great app doesn't have the option to change the highlighter's color which is an important and basic feature! 

Can you please please please add it? It would be perfect! 

• Like 1