Print margins

jwpearson

Idea

I use evernote to maintain checklists of my things to do / get etc. I'd like to print my checklists to 4x6 or 3x5 cards to I can take them with me. However, when I select this paper size, the margins and header/footer appear to be set at 1 inch, which makes the available print area too small to contain my checklists on a single card. Is there any way to adjust the margin or header sizes? I'm probably just not seeing it. Thanks!

38 replies to this idea

I can't believe this still hasn't been implemented yet. I tried changing to borderless paper size when trying to print, but it doesn't change anything. Even creating a custom paper size with zero margins doesn't change anything. Now I have to open up my notes in Windows just to print without margins? Seriously?

This was originally requested in 2009.  Wow.  Have to use up two pages for something that could fit on one page with a slightly smaller margin.

+1 on this, but please fix all syncing issue with 6.x first

Me too - such a waste to have soooo much empty space at the top of every page !! I don't need a word processor, I just need to sometimes print my Evernote notes and not have nearly half the page wasted with margins!!

Hmm I've now noticed that both blank space at the top and left margin has got a lot bigger - something to do with the new release???  As I understand its not tailorable I can't see how I could have made this happen ? WEIRD

+1 on either (a) allowing the user to determine print margins; or (B) reducing them to a much narrower, more acceptable size.

They actually got worse with the most recent release---at this rate, what would fit on one page in other apps will need three pages to print out in EN (even without headers).

Please please bring Print Margin options to evernote!.  Small, med large.  anything is better than having a 39mm left and 43mm top margin.  43MM GUYS!  this is crazy.

Also... i'm sorry but these excuses about HTML and canvas are just not good enough.  These things are not very difficult to achieve.

3 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

People, please vote for the feature request using the voting buttons

Thanks for posting this Eduardo. IIRC the voting buttons didn't exist in the forum when I posted on this thread 5 years ago. Here's hoping I won't be the only one who sees your comment and comes back to support this needed change.

As a daily Evernote user since 2010, a PAYING Premium member, and as someone who, like many users, needs to PRINT our Notes, I find the lack of a feature to adjust margins to be ludicrous. At the very least, Evernote should make the default margins something like 0.5" all around, rather than the childish 1 1/2" on the top and bottom. But why not listen to users real-world needs and allow us to adjust margins as we see fit. Surely it cant be that hard. Why not throw in a "size to page" option while you are at it.

With a $1billion valuation, surely you can afford to spend a few dollars on this most basic of features. Come to think of it, calling this a feature is stretching it. I would not call my other text apps ability to adjust margins a "feature", I simply expect them to incorporate this basic level of functionality.

On 11/17/2009 at 3:49 PM, engberg said:

This isn't currently available in the client, but we plan to improve our printing controls in both clients to let you configure things like this.

Thanks

This post was from 2009 and it doesn't seem there has been any progress for printing in 9 years?

Dear Evernote

Please REBRAND THE ABILITY TO FORMAT PRINTED NOTES FROM THE MAC !!!!

(Or to put it another way, stop wasting time and money "rebranding" your company and put the effort into making a better product. Duh....)

I can see that being pretty useful, but we're not going to be able to be as specialized as Microsoft Word or other programs. We'll keep working on basic functionality here and there, but it might not be as quick as a team who is solely focused on word processing.

Since we have mobile clients where printing isn't very common, its likely non-printing features get prioritized as well.

I realize this post is a few months old, but I'd like to add a request for this feature. I setup a custom page size to allow me to print PDF files that fit my nook eReader. It works great in other programs, but in Evernote the margins are too large for this to be useful, so I have to copy the contents from Evernote to another application to allow me control over the margins.

I'd also like to add my two cents worth. I'm very disappointed to find that Evernote on the mac doesn't fully support printing. Having such enormous margins for smaller paper sizes is pretty useless.

And it's now over a year since engbert saidin this thread: "This isn't currently available in the client, but we plan to improve our printing controls in both clients to let you configure things like this".

What's the holdup? This is note-taking software and printing couldn't be more important. I'm guessing that there must be a huge problem if it's taken this long.

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but I wanted to throw another vote in for the ability to adjust print margins.

I recognize that Evernote isn't a word processor. Being a note taking platform, I can see reasons for not spending time developing this feature. On the other hand, this would be really valuable for me. If I had control over print margins (and maybe the ability to float tables??) then I could conceivably begin to break ties from using a separate word processor almost altogether and do even more through Evernote. There are simply some things I must printed weekly, and those things must be maxed out in terms of page real estate. They also must be consistent for some other folks with whom I work who also need to print some of these files (thus negating the ability to simply share notes without constantly rehearsing a 3 step process of: print > open as PDF > print @ ~116%).

So, any news on this? I love what you guys do!

Thanks for posting. We've added some printing support, but we haven't dug into it too much. Some of the issue is HTML and that we don't give you a canvas so to speak. For example in Word you select your paper size and your page is sized accordingly. In Evernote we just give you something like an infinite canvas.

Thanks for posting. We've added some printing support, but we haven't dug into it too much. Some of the issue is HTML and that we don't give you a canvas so to speak. For example in Word you select your paper size and your page is sized accordingly. In Evernote we just give you something like an infinite canvas.

Thanks for the über fast reply! I had a feeling those were the challenges.

I wonder if there is more that could be done through Page Setup (in Evernote for Mac). It seems that no matter how I change the Non-Printable area under "Manage Custom Sizes" it always defaults to a one inch margin. It would be amazing if Evernote simply defaulted to fill out a as much of a printed page as possible and then allowed the user to restrict printing to a smaller area with large margins through Page Setup if it was so desired.

Thanks for listening and helping to create something that has helped me to de-clutter, work better, and write stronger songs.

• Level 5*
I just went back to Evernote 3 and printing works perfectly. Bah, everything works as it should - unlinke Evernote 4,5 etc.

Are you talking about the Mac (currently at version 3.x) or the Windows client (currently at version 4.5x)? This is the Mac forum.

Control of print document dimensions and margin size is an essentail wordprocessing function. While Evernote is not a word processor per se, notetaking often leads to letterwriting.

My current workflow is to compose my correspondence text in Evernote, then copy that out to a letterhead template in my word processor (Bean), then to print the letter, and finally to bring the RTF, DOC, or PDF back into Evernote.

Being able to do all of this in Evernote would make it much more useful.

• Level 5*

I can see that being pretty useful, but we're not going to be able to be as specialized as Microsoft Word or other programs. We'll keep working on basic functionality here and there, but it might not be as quick as a team who is solely focused on word processing.

Since we have mobile clients where printing isn't very common, its likely non-printing features get prioritized as well.

No one is asking for a full set of options like a word processor.

I think all the OP is asking for is one very simple thing: Ability to change print margin.

Most simple text editors I have used allow the user to set print margin at time of print, or as a preference.

As the OP has stated, a one-inch margin wastes a lot of space. This size of margin is rarely used except on formal or legal documents. For informal documents, a margin of 0.25 or 0.5 is most often used.

So, if you can just add a simple place to enter Print Margin that would be most helpful.

In lieu of that, perhaps you could change the current fixed margin to something smaller, like 0.5 inch.

Thanks.

No one is asking for a full set of options like a word processor.

I think all the OP is asking for is one very simple thing: Ability to change print margin.

Most simple text editors I have used allow the user to set print margin at time of print, or as a preference.

As the OP has stated, a one-inch margin wastes a lot of space. This size of margin is rarely used except on formal or legal documents. For informal documents, a margin of 0.25 or 0.5 is most often used.

So, if you can just add a simple place to enter Print Margin that would be most helpful.

In lieu of that, perhaps you could change the current fixed margin to something smaller, like 0.5 inch.

Thanks.

No one's asking for a full set, but different users ask for different features. Just trying to explain why the one they're asking for isn't implemented or might not be implemented in the short term. If you add up everything users would like, it gets close to a basic word processor (and/or outliner). But that's another discussion.

The idea of defaulting to .25" would be absolutely perfect for me. In fact, it would be another step toward making the EN Mac interface and the web interface more consistent, as in my experience .25" is indeed the margin used for the web interface.

• Level 5*

The idea of defaulting to .25" would be absolutely perfect for me. In fact, it would be another step toward making the EN Mac interface and the web interface more consistent, as in my experience .25" is indeed the margin used for the web interface.

Works for me.

dlu, here's an idea:

In the next EN Mac beta, change the margin to 0.25" and ask for comments.

(Assuming, of course, that this is a very minor parameter change in code)

.25" is good. If you need more margin, you can print smaller... although that means your 12 pt font size for letter writing will be reduced too.

I like .75"

What we need is some control over print margins, which I'm guessing would entail developing a print dialog outside of that provided in the Mac OS.

I too would love more access to print margins.  Even with the standard 8.5x11 the margin at the top is too large a 1.5" and is unadjustable.  Changing the printable area is unhelpful.  I have been able to change the bottom margin by changing the page length manually, but there is no means to adjust the top.  I sometimes have need to fit my notes on a single sheet of paper and the lack of margin control makes that much harder especially when trying to maintain the font size.

Archived