How to sort notebooks/stacks under Notebooks?

(not about sorting notes, I wonder how to sort notebooks)

Simply... How?.....  :wacko:

Drag and drop doesn't even really work as they just form into notebook stacks.. 

or let's put it this way.. how do I sort the stacks.. ?   : \

* please there is no need to discuss workarounds like putting books under a stack, and naming them 001 002 003.. this workaround doesn't even make sense what if i ever needed to insert something..?.. 

I found this been discussed about but not really a solution.. so try to bring this up again..  

• Level 5*

You asked a question: "How do I sort notebooks/stacks under notebooks?"

The answer is that you cannot; notebooks and stacks are always sorted alphabetically, in whatever level of nesting they occur in. There are no known workarounds; this is the way that it works. You might not like the answer that you got before, but there is no other answer.

If you want the behavior to change, then you should make a feature request (understanding that it's implicit in what you're asking).

* please there is no need to discuss workarounds like putting books under a stack, and naming them 001 002 003.. this workaround doesn't even make sense what if i ever needed to insert something..?.. 

This makes sense if you use 10,20,30 or 100,200,300... That’s what I do.

WARNING! This post contains a workaround!

Here's an example of how I have my stacks—which contain notebooks—organized. You'll notice the stacks are sorted "manually" by prefixing them with a symbol. 

Then, within each stack, I just let notebooks be sorted alphabetically, that works for my needs. 

There are a few notebooks that are not in stacks I prefix with a symbol or letter, such as ".inbox" and zArchives because I want .inbox always on top, and I never look at zArchives, so it gets stuffed at the bottom:

https://www.evernote.com/l/ABlrqw7ayy9DUaEToIwcD69TD4ZfCmCs5tQ

I'm kind of doing some reorganizing so there's a few oddities (such as a stack with ONE notebook or the redundant "personal" notebook in the ".Personal" stack, so just forgive that strangeness for now!)

• 6 months later...

Helpful tips. 

Does anyone know what activates a re-sort if you rename a notebook in the stack. In my tests, the notebooks remain out of order if after I changed the notebook names. None of these things worked to re-sort them: closing/re-opening EN, collapsing/expanding the stack or Notebooks tree, refreshing the sync. The only thing that fixed the sort order was when a new version of EN was installed. 

Any ideas how to do this. Obviously helpful if revising a system. Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using Evernote 5.8.4.6870, Windows 7

I'm having alphabetization problems when I rename notebooks. The previous comment that "Just clicking on the 'X' may not be enough" is the problem for me, as well.

Closing the program with

File --> Exit

or

Ctrl-Q

does refresh the alphabetization for me.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

{ might work but other than that I don't know.  If you keep the archive stack closed you could place it at the top of your notebooks with a period or other special character.

• 6 months later...

Evernote, by design, sorts the Stacks and the Notebooks inside them in alphabetical order. There is currently no option to change that.

However sometimes renaming the Stacks and Notebooks do not automatically yield a sorted view. There is no way to force a sort as of now for the running session of the application. The only way to get the desired sorting in place is to close Evernote using File > Exit and then reopening it. While reopening Evernote automatically does the alphabetical sorting of the Stacks and Notebooks tree available in its local database.  [ compare attached screenshot 1, 2 and 3 ]

screenshot 1 ScreenClip-1.png  screenshot 2 ScreenClip-2.png

screenshot 3  ScreenClip4.png

If a notebook is removed from a Stack and moved out to the main tree, the notebook is automatically placed in a sorted order. In this case the names of the Stacks and the names of the Notebooks moved to the main tree would be consider by Evernote for the alphabetical sorting of the main tree.

[ see the screenshot  4 ]

screenshot 4  ScreenClip-5.png

If you rename a Stack again and want to force the re-sorting the Stacks and Notebooks in the main tree, the only option is to to close Evernote using File > Exit and then reopening it.

[ see attached screenshot 5 ]

screenshot 5  ScreenClip-6.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2015 at 2:29 AM, mattjans said:

Helpful tips. 

Does anyone know what activates a re-sort if you rename a notebook in the stack. In my tests, the notebooks remain out of order if after I changed the notebook names. None of these things worked to re-sort them: closing/re-opening EN, collapsing/expanding the stack or Notebooks tree, refreshing the sync. The only thing that fixed the sort order was when a new version of EN was installed. 

Any ideas how to do this. Obviously helpful if revising a system. Thanks. 

I wanted to re-sort notebooks in a stack and the method I discovered for doing it is as follows:

1. Rename the notebooks in the stack according to an alphabetic/numeric scheme of your choice. Unfortunately, this will not change their position in the stack in real time, so...

2. Right click on a notebook you want to move -> Remove from Stack - the notebook now becomes a regular, top level one.

3. Drag that notebook back into the stack. It will now slot itself into its correct position, according the the scheme you created. Do this for all notebooks that are not positioned correctly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, getlost!999 said:

where have these notebook trees gone? upgrade that removed functionality?

There has never been a hierarchy structure for  Notebooks
The closest you can get, is to organize Notebooks under Stacks.

If you're looking for a tree structure, you might want to look at the Tags feature.

• 2 months later...

Would be nice if the notes in a stack were sorted alphabetically as well. On my PC, the notes within a stack follow a sorting logic that is unknown to me and I don't find a way to have them sorted by numbers or alphabetically. eyallvy's method works (thank you!) but I don't see myself resorting manually all the notebooks in the stack every time I add another one. This should be a typical task for a computer, sort things alphabetically or by numbers.

20170104_Evernote.jpg

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, franquin said:

Would be nice if the notes in a stack were sorted alphabetically as well.

Try exiting from EN using File - Exit and then restart EN.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, franquin said:

:) This was about the first thing I tried (without effect), but thank you anyway. On my iPad, by the way, the notebooks in the stack are sorted correctly... 

If restarting Evernote didn't work, try rebooting your device

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, franquin said:

Would be nice if the notes in a stack were sorted alphabetically as well. On my PC, the notes within a stack follow a sorting logic that is unknown to me and I don't find a way to have them sorted by numbers or alphabetically.

"Notes in a stack"?? There are none, in Evernote. Did you mean notebooks in a stack?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, franquin said:

:) This was about the first thing I tried (without effect), but thank you anyway. On my iPad, by the way, the notebooks in the stack are sorted correctly... 

Hmmm.  You could try renaming the notebook, exiting EN, restart EN, back to the desired name, exit and restart again.  More commonly referred to as a brute force attempt to fix.  :wacko:

Archived