Hate the narrow scroll bars

Recent versions of Evernote for Windows have implimented narrow scroll bars within the notes.

I HATE the super narrow scroll bars! It makes it very hard to work with a note.

I know Google implimented this in Chrome and suddenly it appears folks think narrow scroll bars are a good idea. Well, it's not. I hate it, and I bet if you did a real user survey you would find the majority of your customers find your product more difficult to use with the very narrow scroll bar in Evernote for Windows.

Just my $0.02...

• Level 5

Recent versions of Evernote for Windows have implimented narrow scroll bars within the notes.

I know Google implimented this in Chrome and suddenly it appears folks think narrow scroll bars are a good idea. Well, it's not. I hate it, and I bet if you did a real user survey you would find the majority of your customers find your product more difficult to use with the very narrow scroll bar in Evernote for Windows.

Just my $0.02...

I agree 100% with you. It is so small that is nearly impossible to grab and resize.  

I prefer to set my widths and never touch them again, but Evernote has a nasty problem with captured images. If the image fills the "Note Panel" and meets a certain ratio of height-to-length, the panel will constantly vibrate from one size to another. It is aggravating and the only solution is to resize the width of the note, which is just about impossible with the microsized lines.

I agree too. It's not like it's even done consistently, the vertical and horizontal scroll bars in the note list are perfectly normal, it's only the notes' vertical scroll bar that's been meddled with like this.

Also on my screen I can barely make out the difference in shade between the light grey scroll bar well and the slightly-darker scroll bar.

I really wish EN would concentrate on bugs and features rather than subvert the Windows UI guidelines.

Haven't found it a problem personally - are you working with the desktop client or the web version?

I'm using "Evernote for Windows" which is the desktop client. The change to the narrow scroll bars has made them very difficult to use. I really wish Evernote for Windows would return to using standard width scroll bars.

• Level 5*

Just my $0.02...

I agree. It isn't as usable as the "big ugly" scroll bars normally found in Windows apps.

Google Chrome implemented very similar narrow scrollbars which are also colored in a way that makes them not as visible as they were. Fortunately I found an extension that let me change the width and color. Sure would be nice to have similar options available in Evernote. BTW, the color - very light gray in a gray and white UI - has irked me since EN5 was released with its "white-look" UI. While I've never been a big fan of programs that offer a multitude of skins to customize the User Interface, I would actually love to see it in Evernote - just so I could change the current "white/gray" UI!

Jim

• 2 months later...

Yes completely agree. Why is it taking so long to fix this issue. I find it very difficult at times locating the scroll tab because the shading is so bad.   

Please give help on this issue. Does anyone know if a css style can be edited to fix it ourself?

• Level 5*

Please give help on this issue. Does anyone know if a css style can be edited to fix it ourself?

Not for the Widows client, no. I doubt that CSS is even involved in implementing the scrollbars.

Since the thread is still alive...

In addition to width & contrast, there is another departure from the standard Windows UI.

If the note is very long, click & hold just below the Up arrow does not zoom up to the top.  It moves up 1 frame.

Normally a click moves 1 frame & click-hold zooms.  

Zoom is useful.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike the narrow scroll bar too. And the new super hi-res screens make it super tiny.

I like to scroll by using my finger on my touch screen - and it is impossible to catch that tiny scrollbar with a finger. I have to stop and go for the mouse every time.

The low contrast grey on grey is bad too, especially for the visually impaired (it should be illegal).

Some programs let a finger touch-and-drag move the text (and a simple touch to start a select).

Ideally a two finger touch-and-drag would scroll (like it does on most touchpads and in some programs on touchscreens).

So Evernote, how about an option to change the width (and color) of the scroll bar?  Seems like that should be easy enough. Then those who like the thin one can keep using it.

I know you love the Mac, and that's OK. Its a great machine. But why must you try to make it harder on us Windows users? We may not have the best UI but we know how to work with it.

Let us. Use the standard Windows UI styles.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that narrow scrollbars are not good.

Also I would like to have the arrow (up/down) scroll buttons on the scrollbar (only notes list scrollbar has it, why?). I cannot scroll one line currently. If I drag a long notes' scrollthumb it scrolls several screens. My mouse's wheel is set to scroll several lines (because every other app - tons of them - I use has scroll buttons and it is comfortable to use them this way). Only soution is to click the last line on screen and hit the arrows on the keyboard, but sometimes I would scroll a line while I leave a portion of a text selected.

So I would like scroll buttons and a thick scrollbar.

By the way, once Evernote had a very handy feature on the scollbar: it displayed all the results of the searched text with color. It would be my 3rd wish to have it back.

Evernote Premium user on Windows 7 Professional, using Windows client.

The narrow left-hand scroll bar is a real pain on the Windows client, because I find I'm accidentally putting my mouse pointer slightly to the left of it and dragging tags (which I have visible just to the left of the left hand scroll bar) and hence nesting them under other tags. Doing Edit->undo doesn't undo tag nesting & it can be a(nother) pain to un-nest tags.

Making the left hand scroll bar wider would help to avoid accidentally nesting my tags.

Thanks in anticipation.

P.S. If the Evernote devs are worried about screen real estate taken up by a wider scroll bar, maybe make scroll bar width user-configurable?

Even after upgrading to Win 8 I agree it is very difficult to see the scroll tab with it's light gray color and lack of scroll buttons is a real inconvenience.

It's obvious that this will benefit most users, so Evernote if you hear us, please help find a solution. 

Thx

Craig

• 6 months later...

TBH, it's the narrow scrollbars that prevent me from using Evernote more extensively and thus upgrading to professional. Since I often find that I "lose" notes because I accidentally dragged something to another notebook or tag (including Trash) , I can'r really consider using it for anything critical. In fact, although I have tended to be an early adopter of a lot of technologies (building fansites using HTML code back in 1998, on Twitter for years, on Facebook as soon as you could do it without being in college, I find myself migrating back to analog choices as in the last couple of years, Evernote, Google, and others have been favoring making things tiny and low-contrast. Digital solutions are great but not when it's more important to have it look sleek and have lots of white space than to be easy to see and use.Just at the point in my life when I actually have the $ to spend on pro versions of things, I'm buying pens and notebooks and index cards instead, because nobody can force me to write so tiny that I can't see, or decide to make the pages almost impossible to turn. I can't imagine what using these apps must be like for people just a little older than me who are having to get bifocals and those a lot older starting to get arthritis, and I don't want to be reliant on these "design features" when I get there.

• 4 weeks later...

Well said NyCuser, after all this time I would think there would be a solution by now for personalizing the thin scrollbar issue.

Something even as simple as choosing a normal or wide mode option over the default thin bar would work for most.

Evernote admin if you are listening please help or at least respond.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote famously don't intervene in these threads often,  so I don't know whether you'll get an official response,  but the thin scroll bars seem to be the new black as far as design is concerned,  and I don't know of any other app that offers that degree of personalisation...

I must disagree, Gazumped. Many, if not most, of my installed programs - on Windows 7 - have various "skins" available, which allow for changing background colors, font sizes & colors, and the like. Many such skins affect scroll bars too. It is certainly not unheard of, and I can't imagine it would affect functionality. Of course it would affect programming time, adding to it without adding users or revenue... Which most likely is the issue with Evernote. That's my guess, anyway.

Jim

• Level 5*

Differn't skins I agree,  but different screen architecture?  OK - you're fully entitled to your opinion,  and you might be right;  I use software for what it does,  not what it looks like.  If Evernote get enough feedback that scrollbars is an issue,  they'll do something about it I guess...

• 9 months later...

I use evernote on Windows, and hate the narrow scrollbars.  The evernote ones are smaller than the Chrome ones, and I dislike those.  And when I am using my touchscreen instead of the keyboard, they are unusable.

Archived