(iOS) View Reminders in a list as of May 2024?

Hi all,

I woke up to a new version of (iOS) Evernote today (5/8/24)

(Version 10.87.0) and found a few things to be different; the most key one, however, is that the “Reminders” tab at the top of the Notes display is no longer present!

Is there any way to view notes with reminders, sorted by chronological reminder order, in the latest version of Evernote (iOS)?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Nobody can watch over your shoulder. Why don't you post the version number, instead of useless prose like "a new version" plus a date ?

The latest version on the AppStore is 10.87.0, and it has the reminders tab.

• Level 5

That’s not possible - my OS settings are German, and I don’t want to mess up my whole system.

Where the red box is located it says „Erinnerungen“, which means Reminders. And behind it is the Reminders view.

I made a saved search to only show notes with reminders that are past their due moment. I never use the reminder tab. I find it more convenient, but it might also serve as a workaround in such cases that regular reminders are not shown.

Saved search stored filter text is:

reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

Sidenote, in Android Evernote 10.86.1 my "Reminders" tab is also gone... My saved search/filter still works as I want it to.

image.thumb.jpeg.7a420f4f84b551ea7aaa5cbcd6529eea.jpeg

1 hour ago, MvdH said:

Sidenote, in Android Evernote 10.86.1 my "Reminders" tab is also gone... My saved search/filter still works as I want it to.

Interesting. Do you have any note reminders right now? Maybe some user testing going on with the notes screen to figure out what's more important to folk.

This is what I see on Android 10.86.1.

image.thumb.png.0232ace4b94e4da9a6c2c4e75d0b3954.png

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

Do you have any note reminders right now?

Yes. I have one note with a reminder past due. It shows up with my custom filter/shortcut. It does not however make the reminders tab show up. Which before showed all my notes with any reminder, also those in the future. Therefor I found it not useful and I created the custom reminder search. 

• Ballfreak10 changed the title to (iOS) View Reminders in a list as of May 2024?

10.87.0 Android Evernote also has no reminders tab on my phone... I don't miss it cause I use a saved search for due reminders of notes. Maybe this info is of use of others though.

Am I seriously the only person who uses note reminders as intended…?

I personally use them every day - they’re an extremely helpful feature!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used them as intended, too. Now I manage reminder functionality in a different platform. Given EN's tendency to deploy faulty updates and remove features based on who knows what sort of data, the less I rely on the BS team to keep my workflows going, the better.

• Like 1

I’ve been using EN reminders for years and find it absurd to consider removing this helpful functionality. I really am finding  each evaluation of EV makes it less useful to me. No Widget screen, changing links to blue, now no reminders tab- these recent updates are completely arbitrary useless to me. 

• Like 3

+1.However... I use reminders on notes a lot, in a way that my custom saved search only shows reminders that are past due time.

If they measure me using the reminders tab... 

...then it results to using it NEVER. Using reminders and a custom savedbsearch for those past due I use it 10 times a day.. 

• Like 2

Yes, you can tweak my saved search to show all notes with reminders. Also those not past due time. Yes saved searches is part of a feature for iOS Evernote the same as desktop windows and Android. As far as I know. 

Try to search notes by using the following search phrase:

• reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

It lists all notes with any reminderTime ("reminderTime:*") but not those in the future ("-reminderTime:day+1") and not those that are done already ("-reminderDoneTime:*"). I've save this search with a name "🛠 - Overdue" 😉

I do not need a special reminder tag in EN. But it should be possible to show reminderTime and reminderDoneTime in note lists as a separate column. This column should be sortable...

==> @Federico Simionato: Please do not remove support of these note property fields

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
22 hours ago, Ballfreak10 said:

You are absolutely not alone.m

Have been using this as my core function in EN for over 10 years. No idea who Federico S is (above), but his comment is fully incorrect.

• Like 1

I realize this post is for iOS mobile, but I have also lost the REMINDERS function on my ANDROID mobile version 10.87.0  as of the latest update done Monday.  I have just also posted to RANDALL V's post "Reminders Suddenly Missing", but hoping someone following this post will have further info or hopefully a working solution for this issue.

As a now-retired paralegal, I've used Evernote since 2013 and over these many years use, it now runs about everything in my life and I've built up many notes/notebooks.  The REMINDERS function is the very backbone of the system.  Without it, Evernote has become (for me) essentially useless.  It would be impossible to keep on top of items which need attention today and in the future -- including those items which were originally scheduled for yesterday (or even before then) that time did not permit me to get to in a timely fashion.  Without the ability to set a REMINDER for an issue which may occur in the future (whether tomorrow or 6 months from now), I might as well place sticky-notes all over my monitor/bathroom mirror/refrigerator and carry a pencil & paper around with me.  

Does ANYONE know whether this is simply a broken update (which may be fixed in the near future) or a feature that has been removed?

Is there a workaround available?  (I've restarted my phone, but to no avail).

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

I share your view (and frustration.) I have a workflow that’s been in use over 13 years with EN, and the ability to add REMINDERS and then see a list of all Notes with REMINDERS listed chronologically by Due Date is the very core of Evernote. If this function is not restored there no value to continuing to pay for EN (which I have quite happily done for almost 14 years.)

The two questions for EN Team:

1. When is this functionality being restored?

2. If there is no plan to restore it, why are you deliberately depricating your product?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has said that they're aware that most of their recent work has been on the desktop platform,  and they plan on spending time bringing the mobile platforms more into line with that now. 

For general background see https://evernote.com/blog.  I'm running the latest Android version 10.88 on my tablet which (still?) includes reminders - if you currently have a different experience,  it should be resolved soon.

The latest blog entry winds up with -

If you want to keep up with our progress on a weekly basis, I encourage you to follow @evernote and @fedesimio on X (formerly Twitter). I’d love to hear your thoughts on new initiatives as we’re working on them. 

- which also gives you an option to provide feedback if necessary...

Thanks MM1 and GAZUMPED.  Hopefully, the REMINDERS function (which I use exactly how MM1 perfectly described) will indeed be restored.  I dread the thought of ditching Evernote after all these years due to the work and time involved in setting up a competing app (guess I'm getting old!).  Let's hope they expedite the corrections/changes and restore these very basic functions.  Thank you again for your thoughtful and kind replies. 

• Like 1

I have exactly the same problem and have spent many hours to try and fix it. It is really making my work life problematic at this stage. Please, Evernote, fix this quickly!

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

Evernote has said that they're aware that most of their recent work has been on the desktop platform, ...

🤔 Up to now (since relaseing EN10) their recent work was

a.) introduce a new UI platform that streamlines all environments to one development platform and user experience (that's OK)
b.) implement new methodologies and features (RTE-sync, Calendars, Files, Tasks, ...) (that many current users did not ask for 😉)
c.) call up new prices (to sort out non-profitable user crowed - OK)
d.) set up new support teams and tracking systems (that do not work until now 😞)

7 hours ago, gazumped said:

they plan on spending time bringing the mobile platforms more into line with that now.

Hmm - by removing functionality that has been available?

For me, removing reminders from mobile platforms was not a mistake by any developer - it's a calculated try to measure user reactions. Like we say often over the last months (price increases with many different offers of reductions, features offered only to some random users, ...)...

Reminders are an old, easy to use and beloved feature of Evernote. Tasks should be the new way of handling ToDo lists. To implement Tasks, EN had to invest time and money that has to be successful. Managers tend to shut down old habits to force the success of the new... 😤 (see Legacy 😉)

• Like 1
On 5/11/2024 at 9:03 AM, AlbertR said:

Try to search notes by using the following search phrase:

• reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

It lists all notes with any reminderTime ("reminderTime:*") but not those in the future ("-reminderTime:day+1") and not those that are done already ("-reminderDoneTime:*"). I've save this search with a name "🛠 - Overdue" 😉

I do not need a special reminder tag in EN. But it should be possible to show reminderTime and reminderDoneTime in note lists as a separate column. This column should be sortable...

==> @Federico Simionato: Please do not remove support of these note property fields

I also use reminders extensively and am annoyed at the change. This is a good work around and thank you for posting it. 

• Like 1

I used to use reminders but I now use tasks instead. Where a note would have had a reminder it now has a task added to the top of the note. The advantages for me are

• I can have recurring tasks for those notes I want to review every 6 months for example
  • All my tasks (reviewing or actioning a note is a task) are integrated in one list

I'm definitely not saying reminders should be removed. I'm  just giving my experience of how my use of EN has evolved now that we have tasks.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

I used to use reminders but I now use tasks instead.

Same. Starting to use note reminders less and replace them with tasks or calendar events. Once pinned notes appear and we can add events to all calendars I don't think I'll be using them at all. I don't think I'd want them removed but then again, I probably won't be using them in the future.

• Like 4
On 5/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, Catrina said:

I realize this post is for iOS mobile, but I have also lost the REMINDERS function on my ANDROID mobile version 10.87.0  as of the latest update done Monday.  I have just also posted to RANDALL V's post "Reminders Suddenly Missing", but hoping someone following this post will have further info or hopefully a working solution for this issue.

As a now-retired paralegal, I've used Evernote since 2013 and over these many years use, it now runs about everything in my life and I've built up many notes/notebooks.  The REMINDERS function is the very backbone of the system.  Without it, Evernote has become (for me) essentially useless.  It would be impossible to keep on top of items which need attention today and in the future -- including those items which were originally scheduled for yesterday (or even before then) that time did not permit me to get to in a timely fashion.  Without the ability to set a REMINDER for an issue which may occur in the future (whether tomorrow or 6 months from now), I might as well place sticky-notes all over my monitor/bathroom mirror/refrigerator and carry a pencil & paper around with me.  

Does ANYONE know whether this is simply a broken update (which may be fixed in the near future) or a feature that has been removed?

Thanks for any help.

I’m in the same boat.  “Reminders” is the backbone of my recall system as well.  If they can’t fix it this app is useless to me. Some idea of EN’s plans or if this is a bug or intentional change and if its permanent and “Oh, by the way EN, thanks for the heads up!”

On 5/10/2024 at 9:40 PM, Ballfreak10 said:

I use them too - a lot. And I have the same issue, that the note view sorted on reminders is missing with the latest Evernote update. I run iOS 17.4.1 on iPhone 14.
I raised a bug more than a week ago, but has not received any answer except for the standard reply.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:00 AM, MvdH said:

I made a saved search to only show notes with reminders that are past their due moment. I never use the reminder tab. I find it more convenient, but it might also serve as a workaround in such cases that regular reminders are not shown.

Saved search stored filter text is:

reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

image.thumb.jpeg.7a420f4f84b551ea7aaa5cbcd6529eea.jpeg

I have created shortcuts to some saved searches similar to yours, but I cannot get them ordered by datetime. So I just get a set (like today's reminders, tomorrow's reminders, next week's reminders etc.) Before I could simply view my reminders in order, and I need that functionality back.

• Sad 1
On 5/15/2024 at 9:46 AM, Mike P said:

I used to use reminders but I now use tasks instead. Where a note would have had a reminder it now has a task added to the top of the note. The advantages for me are

• I can have recurring tasks for those notes I want to review every 6 months for example
  • All my tasks (reviewing or actioning a note is a task) are integrated in one list

I'm definitely not saying reminders should be removed. I'm  just giving my experience of how my use of EN has evolved now that we have tasks.

I also tried tasks, but the tasks could not be linked to notes. What distinguishes Evernote from most task systems is its ability to capture data in Notes and then add metadata and reminders to those Notes, so that they can be used in different searches. Including reminders. So removing the ability to view note reminders ordered by datetime is removing important functionality to some of the user base. 

7 hours ago, Sarnholm said:

I also tried tasks, but the tasks could not be linked to notes.

I don't understand what you mean. Tasks sit within notes. You can view the note that the task is in in the tasks view using the notes tab.

image.png.5ff40a99a8ae971e3fe92bb07a99cc57.png

You can search for notes in the normal way and find those containing tasks either using the filter menu or using 

contains:task
contains:taskCompleted
contains:taskNotCompleted

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Tasks sit within notes. ... <and search for by using> contains:taskNotCompleted

Whow - I'm reading a log - but did not know this search phrase. Together with tag:... this might the key to manage tasks by tags (and make reminders unnecessary on a long way?)

... added this to feature request Task table - Sort by Tag (of the note), not only by Note or Notebook

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The main misunderstanding is seeing Tasks as independent entities. By design a Task is always part of a note (1 note, not zero, not 2+). It is there as a method to control actions on that very note.

Thats at least how it is designed.

Many requests are a result of not considering this basic design principle, like the „allow tasks to be tagged“ request. This would take a major redesign of the data model.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

By design a Task is always part of a note (1 note, not zero, not 2+). It is there as a method to control actions on that very note.

Yep - and because of this, it makes sense to use Tags to group and filter Tasks: You may assign one or more Tags to a Note that can contain one ore more Tasks. At the end, you can have Tasks "with" Tags (example: "contains:taskNotCompleted tag:=bill").

Thats at least how it is designed.

Not the worst design 😉

Many requests are a result of not considering this basic design principle, like the „allow tasks to be tagged“ request. This would take a major redesign of the data model.

No. The only thing that should be implemented is a possibility to show and filter by Tags within the Tasks view... - with no redesign of the data model. It's simply UI design.

There's no special need for Tags assigned directly to Tasks (which indeed would need a data model extension).

• Like 1

I use the reminders a lot and in the pc version the feature is still working while in the App disappeared. I understand all the improvements but not the reason why a feature is removed without considering that a lot of people like myself have organized their work using this feature and now the App, at least for me, it’s almost useless or very tricky to be used. 

On 5/14/2024 at 11:48 PM, Catrina said:

Thanks for any help.

Same for me!

Stunned to see the removal of the simple ability to sort notes by reminder date. This has been core to how I’ve used Evernote for over a decade. Task lists are not sufficient.  Why would this sort function be removed?  A chronological look at notes is essential. Please restore or sadly I guess it will be time to migrate to another platform that supports workflow.  

• Like 1