Am I understanding this correctly? The current price for personal is $59.99 per year. I just got an email from Evernote saying the price is changing to $129.99 per year. Is this correct? I really like Evernote and gladly pay for it at current prices but I cannot justify a 100+% cost increase.

• Like 4

Yeah right?!  I don't mind paying more if they're improving the product, and respond to support requests.  I get no response from the tickets I submit, and the usability took a step back several updates ago, and yet no one in support/feedback seems to care.  They may be losing another loyal customer.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Actually EN is changing, from a tool with a lot of Freebie users (and a few subscribers) to a more professional setup, with much less users.

The prices reflect a regular - heavy use of the app. If this is typical for your use case, you need to know yourself.

• Like 2

I'd really like to know what the management team of this company is smoking. 

"Hey Guys! We bought Evernote which has been losing subscribers for years! We have a GREAT idea!! Let's more than double the base price only offering a handful of features absolutely nobody was asking for!!! IT'S GONNA BE AMAZING!"

Doubling the price in a single year is insanity without offering a tier in-between. It's like Bending Spoons wants to see how quickly they can drive this thing into the ground. 

I don't want AI gimmicks and features nobody is asking for. Give me a rock solid product and team that actually listens to their everyday user base and implements simple features that would greatly improve quality of life. I'll pay another $20/yr for that happily and gladly! 

As a PAYING Evernote user since 2008 with 321 notebooks and ~5K notes, I'm out. The only thing preventing me from doing so is time and complexity. I've watched Evernote devolve into a continually worse product over the years with management teams who ignore the vast majority of their daily users. It's time to go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, sl1200mk2 said:

It's time to go.

If you don't like the features and don't think the price is worth it, I'd say it's long past time.  Bye...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 12/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, Brandon Rasler said:

Am I understanding this correctly? The current price for personal is $59.99 per year. I just got an email from Evernote saying the price is changing to $129.99 per year. Is this correct? I really like Evernote and gladly pay for it at current prices but I cannot justify a 100+% cost increase.

Same for me

• Like 5
  • Level 5*

The irony of all these complaints is that if you actually go through the process of trying to downgrade your account to avoid paying the increase,  you will (AFAIK) get offered a substantial discount in the next year to soften the blow.  

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The irony of all these complaints is that if you actually go through the process of trying to downgrade your account to avoid paying the increase,  you will (AFAIK) get offered a substantial discount in the next year to soften the blow.  

Loyal longtime customers pay the full price, while occasional and unstable customers get a discount = It pays to complain.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, janndk said:

= It pays to complain.

I disagree (of course.. :)). 

If you think the price is worth it,  and can afford it - you pay without argument.  If you don't think it's reasonable to get pricing back to a reasonable level,  or you simply can't afford it,  you quietly and regretfully start to cancel your payment methods and revert to Basic. 

But Evernote,  since it really does hate to lose the income,  will offer you an incentive to stay - for one more year,  before the new prices at that time come into play.  No tiresome meltdowns,  no complaints,  just do what you have to do. 

Preferably quietly...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

These rebates for new customers or to stop others from canceling can be debated. Who says the world is perfect ?

I had a nice experience end of November: My mobile provider gave us for December a bonus of 500GB data for free - just like that. Couldn’t use it all 🤣, but it was fine to have the holidays without looking for the data budget.

Maybe BS will think about what they can do for existing subscribers ? 20GB upload for Personal, 50 for Pro‘s, for a month ?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Bye...

Have already begun the process. Notion, here I come -- should have done this years ago. The irony is that I'm willing to pay more for it!

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

No tiresome meltdowns,  no complaints,  just do what you have to do. 

Preferably quietly...

This is incredibly naive. As a business, one of the most valuable things you can have from your customers is feedback, positive and more importantly negative, especially from those that have been with you for sixteen years. The absolute last thing you want is for people to leave your services with no explanation at all. Just because you personally don't like seeing it doesn't mean it isn't valuable and in fact you should welcome the criticism instead of seeing it as annoyance. Nobody likes seeing their work critiqued, but often it's warranted and what's needed to improve and succeed. 

Hopefully you'll get your wish though, and people leave in droves so the forum can be a happy, quiet place where everyone just heaps praise on the product. I can't be alone, and time will tell what Bending Spoons does or doesn't do with the product. Good luck and be careful what you wish for!

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Reported.

I've tried to delete my forum account, but that feature isn't working either (shocking). Can you 'report' that too?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, sl1200mk2 said:

I've tried to delete my forum account, but that feature isn't working either

You could try reporting that to Invision,  because it's nothing to do with Evernote. other than that they use the service for their users. 

And you're taking joking remarks that I made to another user out of context.  I'm sorry you feel you have been badly treated,  but a fair number of users are just getting on with their lives without the drama.  Evernote will be fully aware of the effects of these changes on their income,  and they may do something about that in the future.  But we have to deal with now.   Goodbye and good luck with Notion.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, sl1200mk2 said:

As a business, one of the most valuable things you can have from your customers is feedback, positive and more importantly negative, especially from those that have been with you for sixteen years. The absolute last thing you want is for people to leave your services with no explanation at all. Just because you personally don't like seeing it doesn't mean it isn't valuable and in fact you should welcome the criticism instead of seeing it as annoyance. Nobody likes seeing their work critiqued, but often it's warranted and what's needed to improve and succeed

@gazumped, to whom you were responding, is not Evernote or a member of Evernote staff. No one here is; we're all other users, just like you. So negative feedback to us is negative feedback to no one who can do anything about it. To give feedback to Evernote: feedback@evernote.com.

17 hours ago, sl1200mk2 said:

I don't want AI gimmicks and features nobody is asking for. Give me a rock solid product and team that actually listens to their everyday user base and implements simple features that would greatly improve quality of life. I'll pay another $20/yr for that happily and gladly!

Honestly, neither you nor anyone else in these forums has any idea what "everybody" or "nobody" is asking for, or what constitutes a simple, life-enhancing feature for the majority of users. I think what irks me personally about people who announce their displeasure with Evernote and their departure from it is the frequent assumption that what they want is what everyone wants, or ought to want. I won't speculate on what they're smoking, other than a hearty puff on the narcissism that pervades modern Western culture.

Where ends my personal rant. feedback@evernote.com is also the place to send specific "quality of life" suggestions, as per this post:

• Like 2
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

I disagree (of course.. :)). 

Of course 😒

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

If you think the price is worth it,  and can afford it - you pay without argument.  If you don't think it's reasonable to get pricing back to a reasonable level,  or you simply can't afford it,  you quietly and regretfully start to cancel your payment methods and revert to Basic. 

But Evernote,  since it really does hate to lose the income,  will offer you an incentive to stay - for one more year,  before the new prices at that time come into play.  No tiresome meltdowns,  no complaints,  just do what you have to do. 

Preferably quietly...

Quietly or loudly og whatever... My point is: If you just renew, you pay a full price. If you make one extra click (clicking first "cancel"), you get automatically rewarded with a discounted price.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, janndk said:

My point is: If you just renew, you pay a full price. If you make one extra click (clicking first "cancel"), you get automatically rewarded with a discounted price.

Funny,  that's exactly what I said too...  my point being there's no need for drama or 'the sky is falling' predictions.  If the price of something goes up past my comfort zone,  or the service declines past acceptable,  I'd just cancel.  If there's an easter egg in the process that says 'please stay' I might take advantage for another year.  Or not.  (And yes,  I'm mildly miffed that I didn't find that offer before re-upping for another year.  Such is life...<_<)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, janndk said:

If you make one extra click (clicking first "cancel"), you get automatically rewarded with a discounted price.

Not when I tried about a month ago.  I was on professional and canceled … no offer.  Tried a few times since it seemed like everyone in the forum was getting a 40% discount offer, but no luck for me.  I even contacted support and they said it was a random offer.  Maybe now it isn’t.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:18 PM, sl1200mk2 said:

I'd really like to know what the management team of this company is smoking. 

"Hey Guys! We bought Evernote which has been losing subscribers for years! We have a GREAT idea!! Let's more than double the base price only offering a handful of features absolutely nobody was asking for!!! IT'S GONNA BE AMAZING!"

Doubling the price in a single year is insanity without offering a tier in-between. It's like Bending Spoons wants to see how quickly they can drive this thing into the ground. 

As a PAYING Evernote user since 2008 with 321 notebooks and ~5K notes, I'm out. The only thing preventing me from doing so is time and complexity. I've watched Evernote devolve into a continually worse product over the years with management teams who ignore the vast majority of their daily users. It's time to go.

Double the price, lose third of subscribers, you still come ahead in revenue. And I don't think an entire third of already paying subscribers is going to leave over this.

They are combining this price increase with making the free version far les usable, clearly in the hope that at least some of the free users will pay up. Again, if 90% of free users leave, and 10% start paying, it's a net positive for revenue.

So, yes, it's a revenue grab, and I believe that in the short to intermediate term it's going to work out just fine for them. In the long term, they will have hard time keeping up with the "natural" attrition of paid users, but that's a problem for the future Evernote. It's not like they had a stellar record acquiring new paid subscribers even with the old prices. 

• Like 5

I think it's well worth it at the high price.  I hope that enough people keep paying the subscription so that the product gets better and more stable for the rest of us.  If I felt that there was something better than EN out there I would leave also.  But there isn't.  And I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot for $70/yr.  I use EN about 30X/day 24/7.  So now I'll be paying a 1/10 cent more for each usage.

• Like 2

Worse, they are offering 50% off new subscriptions. A huge discount to folks who do not currently use the program, but at the same time turning around and charging those of us that already subscribe even more?? I understand that you trying to tempt more users in, but it really feels like a snub to those of us who have already supported the product. Why not offer a bit less discount to those just joining and then at least keep the current rate for those who already have a subscription?  

You clearly don’t value current customers!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It’s a first year rebate, like the one offered by many other companies.

If it’s good marketing is one question. But at least it is a limited offer.

The permanent rebates granted by the old management to some users were devastating. This practice has been stopped.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, samlk said:

Worse, they are offering 50% off new subscriptions. A huge discount to folks who do not currently use the program, but at the same time turning around and charging those of us that already subscribe even more?? I understand that you trying to tempt more users in, but it really feels like a snub to those of us who have already supported the product. Why not offer a bit less discount to those just joining and then at least keep the current rate for those who already have a subscription?  

Please be aware that these are basically user-to-user forums, so "you" is not here. To directly address Evernote: feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, samlk said:

Returning customers get 40% off.

It was only today that it became 50%. Tbf it's only 10% more.

It's amusing how often they're spamming me with the offers though. From bottom up, the frequency of emails sorta escalated

• 40%
  • 25% (5 days later)
  • 40% (10 days later)
  • 40% (4 days later)
  • 40% (7 days later)
  • 40% (1 day later)
  • 50% (4 hours later)
  • ?? (1 hour later?)

image.png.64a80a5a20de8f73e7d5fc00fd7c86df.png

• Level 5

You really put an effort in documenting stuff, where I say who cares. It’s a 1st year offer only.

I easily spend more on a nice dinner, than the total rebate we discuss here „ad exzessum“.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You really put an effort in documenting stuff, where I say who cares. It’s a 1st year offer only.

I easily spend more on a nice dinner, than the total rebate we discuss here „ad exzessum“.

@PinkElephant Effort is going Gmail and searching for Evernote in:trash. As compared to someone trying to post remarks in every single thread for nearly a decade.

Anyway costs aren't a factor for me. For your dinner analogy, I too get more credit card rebates on a single month's meal spending, than what Evernote costs in a year.

• Level 5*

It makes commercial sense for Evernote to reduce the cost for Basic users and former subscribers in their next subscription so the company minimises its revenue losses - and as a concession to users who found the increase in costs too much to swallow.  It would make no sense to offer a discount to all users and reduce the company's income by up to 50% across the board when they're trying to make the operation more viable. 

If the emails annoy you,  the usual options apply - 

• Vent -preferably to Evernote,  by feedback or Support
  • Filter Evernote emails to avoid being troubled by too many offers
  • Move to a different provider

Please try not to snipe other users in any discussion.

• Like 2

I'm gone.  I have used and paid for EN for maybe ten years mostly as a file drawer with minimal organization due to the lack of hierarchical folders.  At the same time I've been monitoring the years-long thread of users begging for this basic feature.  No longer.

This appears to be a classic "harvesting" of a brand.  Bending Spoons probably got a pretty good price buying EN's user base.  So now they are substantially raising prices knowing that switching costs (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/switchingcosts.asp) for some users are high enough that they will be somewhat sticky. Along with the price increase comes a bunch of BS about their wonderful plans for the brand plus a reduction of investment in the brand to near zero.  Then they simply ride the dying horse, probably collecting unearned revenue for years.  So, for example, the probability of seeing nested folders has gone from almost zero to almost exactly zero.

See you all at https://nimbusweb.me/ .  The import process is somewhat tedious and clumsy, but it works.  I have a few hundred notes imported already.

• Level 5
On 1/10/2024 at 12:14 PM, Flier said:

I'm gone.  I have used and paid for EN for maybe ten years mostly as a file drawer with minimal organization due to the lack of hierarchical folders.  At the same time I've been monitoring the years-long thread of users begging for this basic feature.  No longer.

This appears to be a classic "harvesting" of a brand.  Bending Spoons probably got a pretty good price buying EN's user base.  So now they are substantially raising prices knowing that switching costs (https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/switchingcosts.asp) for some users are high enough that they will be somewhat sticky. Along with the price increase comes a bunch of BS about their wonderful plans for the brand plus a reduction of investment in the brand to near zero.  Then they simply ride the dying horse, probably collecting unearned revenue for years.  So, for example, the probability of seeing nested folders has gone from almost zero to almost exactly zero.

See you all at https://nimbusweb.me/ .  The import process is somewhat tedious and clumsy, but it works.  I have a few hundred notes imported already.

Tons of mind-reading and aggrieved speculation here. Please do us the respect of coming back in a year and admitting you were wrong.

FWIW, Evernote users who need hierarchical organization generally use tags, which can be nested. TBH, "a file drawer within minimal organization" may not be a great Evernote use case anyway; but part of what makes Evernote good, IMHO, is its adaptability to so many purposes. Good luck with Nimbus ... which right at the top of its site announces itself as a "Client Collaboration Platform" for professional services, consultants, coaches, agencies, etc. Not a file drawer.

• Like 2

Not sure I even understand the problem.  I use "file drawers" all the time through tags eg: Taxes 2021, Taxes 2022, Taxes 2023.  Is he saying that he wants nested notebooks?  I specifically prefer a limited number of notebooks and a much larger number of tags because when I export my notebooks I only have to do 7 of them and I'm done.  On the other hand, since I use tags as the file drawers there are hundreds of them.

yeah, I just got the notice. I'm too busy to keep up to date with evernote announcements, sorry. I had to cancel, I only use evernote as a fancy  filing cabinet. and 130$ a year is too much for what I using it for.  

On 1/9/2024 at 10:29 PM, Cardin said:

Returning customers get 40% off.

It was only today that it became 50%. Tbf it's only 10% more.

It's amusing how often they're spamming me with the offers though. From bottom up, the frequency of emails sorta escalated

• 40%
  • 25% (5 days later)
  • 40% (10 days later)
  • 40% (4 days later)
  • 40% (7 days later)
  • 40% (1 day later)
  • 50% (4 hours later)
  • ?? (1 hour later?)

image.png.64a80a5a20de8f73e7d5fc00fd7c86df.png

What discount? In December 2022 I was charged $41.89 for an annual Personal plan. In December 2023 it went up to $140.13. I'm spending all my spare time right now to get my files out of there. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to do so before I had to pay the $140.13. I wasn't even trying to get a free plan but to be hit with a $100 increase over $41? With such short notice? That was rude.