You no longer have access to the ... notebook

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I am very persistent in using Evernote, however it is daunting to receive this message which has often been happening to me, on any of my notebooks, when entering text to search for Notes in a selected Notebook. I wonder if it has been happening to others? I have not seen it mentioned here. I have found a temporary cure - to sign out and not save data. I'm looking forward to the next Windows version which may remedy this.

I should send a ticket, but I have not had success with the last few... i.e. no further response after they are transferred to a higher level of support,

Obviously this would not be useful in a meeting, and perhaps I should just stick to the web version for now.

However I am going away for a few weeks and will be off the grid, and it looks like I will not be able to rely on access to my data. I have all data downloaded on iPhone and iPad so that might be the answer but I like using it on the laptop too. Perhaps I should export the notebooks I need elsewhere to ensure I have access to the information.

(The Notebooks are mine and have not been shared - when the problem occurs, it is after a search within any notebook.)

image.png.b957841a8eb741debd3e02dd7deaa8a8.png

• Like 3
  • laurence.glazier changed the title to You no longer have access to the ... notebook
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, laurence.glazier said:

I should send a ticket, but I have not had success with the last few..

Hi.  I've not heard of a 'permissions' issue recently.  You should certainly send a ticket when you have time,  but it seems like you are having a lot of troubles for one account.  Have you checked your laptop recently for free storage space and any system / connection issues?  Maybe let us know what OS you have and what Evernote version.

I'd suggest you check your previous tickets here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/ - and re-open one if its relevant to do so.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I've not heard of a 'permissions' issue recently.  You should certainly send a ticket when you have time,  but it seems like you are having a lot of troubles for one account.  Have you checked your laptop recently for free storage space and any system / connection issues?  Maybe let us know what OS you have and what Evernote version.

I'd suggest you check your previous tickets here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/ - and re-open one if its relevant to do so.

I have 1.5TB free on quite a fast laptop. Thanks very much for the link to check the tickets, I was unaware of it. It was definitely worth looking at, as at least two tickets have been marked as Solved, whereas the emails I received about them said they had been escalated. I just checked and neither of the problems have been fixed. However @Dave-in-Decatur has provided an interim measure ...

• Like 1

One further query. This is the latest message I have (as an example) arising from one recent ticket about an Evernote problem:

<

I understand that you also tried reinstalling the app but the issue is still happening.

I'm transferring this ticket to our technical support team who will continue to assist you. Please know that they are working on your case and will reply after they've had the opportunity to review the information you've provided.

Thank you for your patience.

Best,

>

The ticket summary page shows the issue was marked as solved a couple of days later, although nobody replied or contacted me. This has happened to most of my raised tickets (no issues have been solved to date).

Do we need to be pragmatic, and wait this period out? I am not sure there is any point in raising more tickets of this nature, which often relate to tags on the iPhone, and I see similar issues were described several months or longer ago in these forums.

I could use an alternative method like hash tags in titles or body-text, which sync much better. Obviously tags are best but how quickly they sync seems to be in the lap of the gods (12 hours and counting for one particular note at the moment).

I'm hoping the AI expertise at Bending Spoons will enable the code to be tightened up.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, laurence.glazier said:

The ticket summary page shows the issue was marked as solved a couple of days later

You should find that if you select that ticket and scroll down you can effectively re-open it by raising more issues.  It would not be unreasonable to ask for an update forinstance after a week or so...

• Evernote Expert
18 minutes ago, laurence.glazier said:

The ticket summary page shows the issue was marked as solved a couple of days later, although nobody replied or contacted me.

Closed means that it has been passed to the relevant team and is no longer in the workload of the person who was first helping you. As @gazumped suggests follow up your ticket if you want more detail.

It doesn't say "Closed", it says "Solved". Is that different? One is still marked Open. Scrolling down, there is a field marked "Add to Conversation", but it is not live, I cannot make it active in any of the ticket pages.

No matter, for now I have switched to hashtags in the text body for reliable tag switching. That works. At the moment I have work-arounds for all the issues but it is a little time consuming and distracting.

(I appreciate that the hash symbol does nothing, but I'm used to it.)

Thanks all for your rapid responses and understanding.

• Like 1

I'm having the same issue: since upgrading today to 10.59, I get "You no longer have access to ... notebook" to my own notebooks that were never shared. It is consistently reproduced when doing a search.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, ME in Clarks Summit said:

Does this mean it's going to be fixed?

Yes.  But it's worth contacting Support so you get direct feedback on when.  We're mostly other users around here - Subscribers can raise support queries here - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new and Free users here - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (but it's usually easier to use the Support option in the mobile client). 

• Like 1

I will stick with V10.58 after reading this post...

Interesting to note that when I check for updates, my V10.58 is stated as the latest version... so, maybe they know of the issue and stopped the rollout... or I just a way down on the update notice list....:-(  

1 hour ago, Grant837 said:

or I just a way down on the update notice list....:-(  

When your time comes there is nothing you can do about it! I was forced to update yesterday having previously downgraded as 10.59 is a complete train wreck for me.

1 hour ago, Mike P said:

When your time comes there is nothing you can do about it!

Humm, I use Windows, and always see a dialog box, which I click on to update, but never paid attention to see if it was an option, or just a notification that it was going to (or did?) happen.  Its a bit scary then if I cannot block it, and if messes up search and tags... I have invested a lot of time on getting more use out of Tags...

(This kind of problem from Evernote has me much more worried than the price increase... )

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

When your time comes there is nothing you can do about it! I was forced to update yesterday having previously downgraded as 10.59 is a complete train wreck for me.

Given the reaction to 10.59 so far I was gutted to have the same experience when I started up yesterday.  No requests,  no warning,  just a "we are updating you..." popup which I consider very rude.  As it happens (touch wood) I'm one of the lucky users without apparent issues (Win 11 / fast desktop).

@Mike P posted this eslewhere which might help... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hmm, my experience is like that of @Grant837. Yesterday I finally got a notice that an update from 10.58 was awaiting, and inviting me to click and install it. Heh heh heh. After reading all the problems here, I didn't. Later I found a folder called C:\Users\{myusername}\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending, where the 10.59.5 updater was lurking, along with an associated .json file. I deleted them, but I expect they'll be back, so I'll monitor that folder. I do feel more secure, though.

7 hours ago, Mike P said:

Yes, I have three times deleted v 10.59.5 and rolled back to v10.58.5 but fed up repeatedly doing this, so have now uninstalled EN from the PC until this is fixed, I will be confined to my Phone and Tablet until then

7 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

Yes, I have three times deleted v 10.59.5 and rolled back to v10.58.5 but fed up repeatedly doing this, so have now uninstalled EN from the PC until this is fixed, I will be confined to my Phone and Tablet until then

I'm currently using this fix to stop the update process. So far so good

• Thanks 1

Same issue here since updating Evernote client for Windows. Each time I attempt to search a word or phrase, I receive an error message "Permissions Lost - You no longer have access to the XYZ notebook." 

Very frustrating and unable to perform searches now.

In case it is of any help solving the problem, the "Permissions Lost"/"You no longer have access to the ... notebook"  also happens on a Mac, OS 12.6, Evernote 10.59.5,  when I search.  Nice to know I'm not alone.

Glad to see I am not alone. Once again I have to say: How can quality control not see this bug. A main feature: search broken. Error messages leading to high blood pressures... Why are users beta testers?🤷🏼‍♂️ We now get these kind of bugs with every new release. Absolutely nothing to be seen of the announced quality over quantity. I am losing the last confidence in this app. Meanwhile they are still offering the 10.59.5 as a direct download on their page...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Alxa said:

How can quality control not see this bug.

Well some of us here have 10.59.5 and no issues,  so maybe there's something about the affected systems that was missed in testing.  Stuff happens,  and the more individual reports the Support Team gets,  the more likely they are to be able to fix things.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

Well some of us here have 10.59.5 and no issues,  so maybe there's something about the affected systems that was missed in testing.  Stuff happens,  and the more individual reports the Support Team gets,  the more likely they are to be able to fix things.

I think I'm more frustrated by the shenanigans you have to go through to roll back and prevent auto updates than the actual problems in 10.59.5. As you stay stuff happens.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
55 minutes ago, WatchAdam said:

I updated the Windows 11 app a day or two ago. 

Good catch - same thing happened with me,  but I haven't had any significant errors yet.  I do see the whole window go blank from time to time as though the entire thing is reloading,  which is making me nervous but seems to have no effect on my content.  Plus I've now had the 'permissions' thing twice when my searches were limted to one notebook.  If I switch that to 'everywhere' the problem disappears...

• Like 1

I also have the "You no longer have access to the (Notebook)"

Incredibly, incredibly disruptive as it makes notebook search almost useless. Overnight.

Windows 11, AMD Radeon Ryzen 9 7900, 64GB DDR5, 509GB free on 2TB 4x NVMe SSD

This "bug" in conjunction with the bug where old notes have to be updated to the new format makes me really question the longterm viability of Evernote.

I use Evernote because it works. And works across platforms without issue. This no longer seems to be the case.

image.thumb.png.535d453cee497be1f22f00b778e66e66.png

• Like 1
On 7/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, gazumped said:

Can you not search from the 'all notes' view?  Choose 'everywhere' under the search box.

So not helpful when a lot of your notebooks have similar material

8 minutes ago, T_S_O said:

So not helpful when a lot of your notebooks have similar material

Fortunately you can still filter by notebook after having done the search.

Just now, WatchAdam said:

The suggestion is a fine workaround for now, but it's a bug they need to fix.

Definitely, but ok in the short term until it is fixed

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mike P said:

Fortunately you can still filter by notebook after having done the search.

Definitely, but ok in the short term until it is fixed

I didn't realize that. Filtering after helps somewhat, but sometimes even that is glitchy. I search, sort afterwards, and am mystified by results that contain none of the original query, but then another time, it works.

As @Mike P says, eventually, it will automatically update to v10.59.5 when EN is restarted.  I have got around this, as I still have a copy of the v10.58.5 installer.  Every time it updates to v 10.59.5, I exit EN and overwrite the installation with the V10.58.5 installer, which allows me to work unhindered until the next time I need to restart EN when I just repeat this and will continue until there is a stable update.

I also have the "Permissions lost" on Windows 10 client and latest EN version and latest windows 10 updates. I've logged an issue with Evernote support. Their reply

"Upon checking, our team is currently aware of this issue, and the fix is expected to be deployed in the upcoming update of the desktop app. I do apologize if I could not provide a definite time frame for the release of the next update, but I'm here to assure you that the team is working diligently to address this as soon as possible."

I'll go with the work-around  All Notes Search. I've also found that quitting (from the file menu) and restarting EN allows me to do a few searches within a specific Notebook before "Permissions Lost" appears.

• Like 1

It may be a little late to discover this, as an update is due soon, but I have found that instead of selecting a notebook in the sidebar, using the search syntax by typing notebook:name in the search often works. When the notes appear, an extra search word can be appended etc. I have found shorter notebook names may work better. If a search doesn't work first time, click search again.

• Like 1

Very helpful suggestions, forum members thank you. In particular recent post by @laurence.glazier, pls be aware using the search suggested there, make sure you have no spaces between 'notebook', ': (colon)' and 'name'. Also if you have spaces within your notebooks, the search doesn't work. Search using 'notebook:searchstring' is a temporarily acceptable workaround, thanks Laurence!. I have submitted a ticket like many of you. 10.59 is the most current release today 04/Aug/2023. Doesn't look like rollback  to 10.58 is possible so if anyone is aware of a web archive holding  MacOS 10.58 please share a link!

Given upcoming price increase  for Plus from £29.99 to £43.99, which is a near 50% increase, I would say unless this is fixed shortly, start looking around for alternatives. Thanks Evernote its been a great few years, but maybe your days are numbered.....

On 7/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, laurence.glazier said:

I am very persistent in using Evernote, however it is daunting to receive this message which has often been happening to me, on any of my notebooks, when entering text to search for Notes in a selected Notebook. I wonder if it has been happening to others? I have not seen it mentioned here. I have found a temporary cure - to sign out and not save data. I'm looking forward to the next Windows version which may remedy this.

I should send a ticket, but I have not had success with the last few... i.e. no further response after they are transferred to a higher level of support,

Obviously this would not be useful in a meeting, and perhaps I should just stick to the web version for now.

However I am going away for a few weeks and will be off the grid, and it looks like I will not be able to rely on access to my data. I have all data downloaded on iPhone and iPad so that might be the answer but I like using it on the laptop too. Perhaps I should export the notebooks I need elsewhere to ensure I have access to the information.

(The Notebooks are mine and have not been shared - when the problem occurs, it is after a search within any notebook.)

image.png.b957841a8eb741debd3e02dd7deaa8a8.png

I am in a similar situation. Yesterday evening, I needed to send some important family documents that I had backed-up on Evernote. This has always been a security that I preach to eveyone, so that when I'm not near my hard drive, I will be able to access these files, and also as a back-up, just in case I somehow lose my hard drives.  In any event, as I was saying, I needed to send copies of these documents to my lawyer in another country, and thought, this should be a quick 2 minute job : that was until I got the message : "Permissions Lost - You no longer have access to the Documents notebook."  How is this even possible?  I honestly don't have time for this kind of nonsense, and am already finding the continual price increases for the Evernote service unjustified, especially when now, things like A.I. chat bots should be making the service easier for the company to manage, but instead I'm seeing company messages stating : "We apologize for the inconvenience, but chat support is currently unavailable due to the high volume of support requests. Please feel free to submit an email ticket or reach out at discussion.evernote.com. Thank you for understanding."

EVERNOTE nonsense.jpg

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Evernote is no longer a reliable and predicatble database for mission-critical  and time sensitive wotrk.

Evernote has now become an adventure game. 

Is Evernote a safe place for notes we to be sure to keep and need to have available on demand? 

After switching to the curent versions from the long time stable and completely reliable Legacy version I am finding Evernote is full of surprises: crashes, unavailable notes, constant changes...

Who needs uncertainty in mission-critical software? 

• Like 1