What happened to the import folder feature?

Good afternoon all,

I use the "import folder" all of the time.  But it seems to be missing on the Early Access Tasks version of Evernote?  Or am I just not seeing it?

Thanks much,

ben

• Level 5

Import folder is announced for the desktop clients for one of the „coming soon“ releases.

What this means I don’t know because it is on this status since several releases. Probably there is more to do than expected.

Greetings PinkElephant,

That's very interesting as it's been a feature present in Evernote ever since I started using it.  :(  Missing it very much already.  I'm liking the tasks features in the preview, but without the import folder feature, it's just not the same.

thanks much,

ben

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kd5byb said:

I use the "import folder" all of the time.  But it seems to be missing on the Early Access Tasks version of Evernote? 

I moved the discussion to the General Discussions forum 

Import Folder is a feature of the Evernote Legacy (Windows) product
It's missing in the Evernote v10 product, but we've been told it's to be implemented "soon"

Mac users continue to have an Import Folder using the MacOS Folder Actions feature

• Level 5

It did not exist on the old Mac client, so I think if we get it for v10 desktop, it will be a real gain. Will help as well with advanced scanning options. I hope as well it is coming soon - currently I use the legacy client to bridge this and other feature gaps.

47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No import folders for Android planned, as far as I am aware of. They will arrive on desktop, date unknown.

For Android not needed, but urgend for the Windows-Version.

"Date unknown" ... not very detailed. 

Why you make a new version, but delete importend features? 

• Level 5

You are posting in the Android subforum …

Nobody deleted anything. The new app is 100% new code, and uses a completely different approach (framework based vs. natively coded for the old app).

Because EN knew they would have a work in progress for a while there are the legacy clients, with all features of the old version.

You can install and run legacy side by side with v10.

Interestingly...I'm on Windows...Evernote's "check for updates" say's I've got the latest / greatest version...and still no import folder option in preferences...

HOWEVER, looks like if I go to Evernote's download link, there is a later revision available.  I'm downloading 10.16.7...while I've got 10.15.6 currently installed.  Seems like the "check for updates" may be broken?

Edited by kd5byb
added additional information
  • Level 5

Why is it so difficult to read the release notes ?

It says the release 

• is available as of now for download for everybody
  • will be rolled out within 7 days to all users

What makes you believe you are one of the users who will receive the download in the first rollout wave ?

If you learn about it, download it, install it and be happy.

• Like 1

I have been using the Evernote Folder Import action on my Mac. Once the file is  imported, it's deleted from the Import folder.

With the new Import Folder, it looks like now I will have two copies of every file until I delete the file from the Import Folder. So far it looks like a one-way sync;  the file stays in EN after deleting from the folder in Finder.

Is that correct?

4 minutes ago, snsokstan said:

I have been using the Evernote Folder Import action on my Mac. Once the file is  imported, it's deleted from the Import folder.

With the new Import Folder, it looks like now I will have two copies of every file until I delete the file from the Import Folder. So far it looks like a one-way sync;  the file stays in EN after deleting from the folder in Finder.

Is that correct?

For now, yes that's correct. BUT if you read the release notes and other threads in the beta forum @Shane D. posted that the feature is coming it's just not ready yet.

Got the new version and set up the Import folder, but haven't tested yet. It's missing all notes since February, probably the last time I tested it. Strange thing is that the newest note in that version became the new newest note in my v6. I assume the 500-600 notes since then will sync at some point. I remember reading that the removed the sync button. Why let the user sync their own data when they can do it when they get around to it.

• Level 5

V10 needs to run an initial sync. When you did not use it for months, it will probably take a while.

EN says you can use the app while it is loading. I personally think when you did not need it for several months, you should IMHO wait until the initial sync is through. It probably leads to more stability.

I've tested mine already - five times - I use it that much and missed it that much!  ;)  Works fine.  It does NOT delete the originals in the import folder, which I'm totally cool with.  Every now and then I dump the contents of my "Evernote Import" folder into another folder named "Evernote Import Backup" as a backup just in case...

thanks,

ben

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

V10 needs to run an initial sync. When you did not use it for months, it will probably take a while.

EN says you can use the app while it is loading. I personally think when you did not need it for several months, you should IMHO wait until the initial sync is through. It probably leads to more stability.

Thanks,

So, just leave it open and running?

Assume, I'm okay to keep using v6 while it syncs?

14 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

On the Windows app, I see no indication that anything is happening. Record count hasn't moved. Logged out and back in. No change. 

I used to check the activity log in the legacy version to see what was going on with my sync.  Appears that there is a log (Help, Activity Log) but I've not been able to make it save nor view it...just opens a plain, empty white box when I go to save the log.

Edited by kd5byb
fixed a typo

Well, to check on sync status I just fired up Evernote on my Kindle Fire.  I rarely use Evernote on it, so right now it's catching up from the last sync it did which seemed to have occurred in mid-April.  Once it catches up, I'll create a new note on the PC and see how long it takes to get to the Fire.

I will note that the Fire is old and slow, and that I had to side-load Evernote to it so it may not be the worlds greatest test bed...

Edited by kd5byb
I stink at proof-reading my posts and generally only find errors after posting them!

So far, it's now 5:20PM and the last note that's made it to my kindle fire Evernote was saved at 3:59PM.  The notes I saved at about 4:15PM have yet to show up.  And this may be because my Kindle Fire is slow and my internet connection stinks.

I'm now downloading the latest Wireshark.  I want to say at one point I was able to identify the IP of the Evernote server and was able to watch network traffic between my PC and the Evernote servers that way some time ago...

-ben

24 minutes ago, kd5byb said:

I used to check the activity log in the legacy version to see what was going on with my sync.  Appears that there is a log (Help, Activity Log) but I've not been able to make it save nor view it...just opens a plain, empty white box when I go to save the log.

I couldn't find anything useful in the log except this, which is over double my actual note count

currentNoteCount: 27532

Ok, after doing nothing for about an hour, notes started pouring in at the rate of about 25 per second. Done a few minutes later and I get a splash screen about new features. 

A note entered in v6 showed up in v10 and mobile about 7 seconds later. 

Import works almost as fast as legacy. 

Guess it's time to dive in and kick the tires. 

later

• Like 1

And the test note I just sent took about 10 seconds to get from the PC to the Fire Tablet...and that's on a crummy old fire table and a rather lackluster ATT DSL connection that's slower than molasses at the North Pole in the middle of a nuclear winter.  ;) Seems like it's constantly syncing but there is no good way to tell status?

3 minutes ago, dbvirago said:

A note entered in v6 showed up in v10 and mobile about 7 seconds later. 

Import works almost as fast as legacy. 

Nice!  That's real close to what I'm seeing here.  :)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kd5byb said:

I can confirm that if you download 10.16.7 for Windows, the import folder is back!

Does the latest EN Windows version with the return of the import folder ALSO have Tasks Early Access?

• Level 5*

Import folders are a useful feature     
With the latest v10 release, we have the import feature for Windows and Macs

It's still a work-in-progress with work required for
- delete file after import (edit; optional)
Until completed, I'll continue to use OS Folder Actions on my Mac

I was wondering what happens if the Evernote app is not running
There doesn't seem to be a problem; on my Mac the files are imported when the app is launched

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Import folders are a useful feature     
With the latest v10 release, we have the import feature for Windows and Macs

It's still a work-in-progress with work required for
- delete file after import 
Until completed, I'll continue to use OS Folder Actions on my Mac

I was wondering what happens if the Evernote app is not running
There doesn't seem to be a problem; the files are imported when the app is launched

On the Windows version, it never deleted after import, which would be my preference anyway. 

On legacy and v10, importer runs in the background, so import happens even if EN is not running. 

Edit: I see now that delete original is "coming soon." Hopefully this is an option. I never want any digital media in just one place.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Sometimes there is a reason you not only want a backup, you want the original file in another place or for another use as well. 

For example stored in EN for reference plus send to accounting for payment processing.

Auto-delete from import folders should be optional.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, DTLow said:

Data backups are a good solution

Why I don't want the import to delete. The act of moving the file to my import folder, places a copy there, my Evernote, my external drive(s) and my cloud backup without me having to do anything else. 

• Like 2
On 6/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, dbvirago said:

On the Windows version, it never deleted after import, which would be my preference anyway. 

On legacy and v10, importer runs in the background, so import happens even if EN is not running. 

Edit: I see now that delete original is "coming soon." Hopefully this is an option. I never want any digital media in just one place.

FWIW, yes, the legacy version did delete the file.  

I can't remember if there was an option to not delete.

That's the exact way I used it - I would scan documents and drop them into an Import Folder.  Woosh; they would be sucked into Evernote (where I want them) and the original file is deleted.  (It's in Evernote now, so, don't need that file. 😁)

😀 I was excited today to see the new Import Folders option.  😪 But, sad to see the "Delete Source File" is "Coming Soon."  I hope that feature comes out soon as I'm still stuck getting back to "where I was" with legacy until that is done.

Thanks for listening,

9 hours ago, JeffreyC said:

FWIW, yes, the legacy version did delete the file.  

I can't remember if there was an option to not delete.

I recall there was a choice.  My legacy version was set up to not delete the files placed in the import folder.  Which worked great for me - I let the folder get big then eventually would move the contents over to a backup folder on another drive.  :)  That way, I had backups.

thanks,

ben

• Like 1

I don't recall if there was a choice, but I do know that mine were never deleted. Ever. I use it several times a week and there are 176 items in it now going back to the last time I manually moved them. 

2021-06-30 08_50_46-Import Folders.jpg

On 6/30/2021 at 5:50 AM, dbvirago said:

I don't recall if there was a choice, but I do know that mine were never deleted. Ever. I use it several times a week and there are 176 items in it now going back to the last time I manually moved them. 

2021-06-30 08_50_46-Import Folders.jpg

Yup. There is the option right there on the right. :) 

• 3 months later...

Say, for those of you who are happy without the “keep source” or “delete after importing” feature, are you seeing Evernote reimport your files after a fresh start?  I am and it’s REALLY annoying! 🤪

• Level 5

No, it works flawlessly since I started to use the import folders, right from the launch. I have a folder right on the Macs desktop and drop whatever crosses my mind there. My Scan process is now using them as well.

My imported files stay in the folder, which I appreciate. It is a nice fallback, should something go wrong (which up to now did not happen).

• Evernote Expert
57 minutes ago, JeffreyC said:

Say, for those of you who are happy without the “keep source” or “delete after importing” feature, are you seeing Evernote reimport your files after a fresh start?  I am and it’s REALLY annoying! 🤪

I have a simple Windows batch file which runs whenever I login or restart my computer. This will clear any files that have been placed in the three import folders that I use. Before I wrote the batch file any file that had been imported would just sit and was never imported further times.

For reference I see that the option to remove source files is marked as Coming Soon. I'll have to remember to remove my batch file ;)