Evernote needs URGENT leadership reorientation - make sure every employee reads this (from a customer since 2001)

raonoy72

Idea

Guys, from the bottom of my heart, please read this and circulate it across all levels: 

I've been with you guys since 2001. A real fan. Now I am doing an effort to continue with Evernote.

You were great and navigated in a blue ocean, which was both a blessing and a curse. The lack (until recently) of competition made you inward-centric, leading to the product losing its edge. For the outside, an Evernote with hunger to create fanatical customers became an old memory. I see synching errors, poor capturing (share sheets), new app versions losing established features - the basic stuff derailing.

But the good news is: the game is NOT over. You have US - millions of active users, folks like me who want to see you succeed and who want to see this team bring back the best note taking app. And our ask to the whole team is:

• Make it # 1 priority (KPI, OKR, whatever) to enchant the customer. Full stop.
  • Promote employees who embody this spirit. Weed out the ones who are on the opposite side of the spectrum.
  • Get the basics right - flawless capturing and synching + decent UX for these basics.
  • Once that's done, resume the product evolution never losing sight of priority # 1.

It's not over. There's one chance left and our best wishes are sincerely with you guys.

Cheers

• Like 4

19 replies to this idea

On 1/22/2021 at 12:28 PM, acpitt said:

Evernote probably uses coders from India, no offense to anyone who is Indian.  Same as Microsoft, they don’t seem to have whatever it takes to make software work well.  Some communication barrier, insufficient skills, or simply not caring.

This is a racist attitude, and saying "no offense" does not absolve you. It's also ridiculously presumptive because you have zero evidence that Evernote uses offshore programmers, and even if they do zero evidence that it contributes to whatever your feelings are about their software.

I would ordinarily just report the comment and move on, but I don't see a way to report posts on these forums? @gazumped am I missing something? 

In the absence of a report button, I didn't want to let the comment stand unchallenged and have people think that this is an acceptable thing to say, when it's not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

enchant the customer

Problem is, that's kind of impossible. Some things some customers depend upon (tabs, ability to choose fonts) were removed because other users either don't use them, or "need" features like cross-platform identical notes, which led to removal of ability to choose fonts. 

Making some customers very happy leads to making other customers very unhappy, because we want different things that (apparently) can't be accommodated. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Hmm, strange. I just tried the three-dot menu on every commenter in this thread and I don't have the ability to report anyone.

@Shane D.Any chance you can look into why I can't report comments? Thank you.

It looks like you need to be level 4 before you get access to report.

@raonoy72 as much as i agree with you there is no option to +1 because you have posted in general discussions and not Product Feedback/Feature Request where you are able to do +1. However i agree with you completely, First get the basics right, and do it quick!! not 3 months to fix one sync issue, also release new features, home is a really good start but i am hoping for more features quicker especially after the staff boasting about this "high shipping volume capacity".

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, raonoy72 said:

If you agree with my note the management team, please reply with a +1.

Hi.  As @Rajesh Gaire pointed out this is not in a voting forum - and the Forums are mainly user-supported with  Evernote staff monitoring threads.  It's better to use the Support channels to feed back direct to Evernote -  https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (if you're a subscriber) / https://twitter.com/evernotehelps (anyone) / https://www.facebook.com/groups/evernotecommunity (anyone).

I'll move this page to a voting thread so others can show their support,  but part of the problem is that in pleasing users who (forinstance) wanted the same layout to appear on all devices,  Evernote limited the number of fonts available to those that they could adapt to appear the same on all operating systems.  Cue the 'other' users who have a favourite font that is not on that list complaining loudly that they need their choice back.

Likewise everyone calling for the same user experience on all platforms - OK that means that only features that work everywhere can be included... and some platforms lose the little luxuries that they were enjoying with native code.  Cue more noises off...

As somebody famous once said...  "you cannot satisfy all of the people all the time"

...But you could make it more reliable and faster guys...

• Like 2
10 hours ago, gazumped said:

Check the three dots menu on any post here...

All I see is a Share option (screenshot below). Should there be a report option there as well? Since you're a mod is there any way for you to see whether something is configured wonky on my forum account?

image.thumb.png.e692c246b490d93bb84993fcaee9cad7.png

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

All I see is a Share option (screenshot below). Should there be a report option there as well? Since you're a mod is there any way for you to see whether something is configured wonky on my forum account?

Sorry - what I get is a short menu including Report;  but that 's more or less it. I don't have any more exalted power over other users...

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably you can’t report a mod ....

E2F39CC8-03FB-4236-AF37-243BA9F42E36.thumb.jpeg.a7355090d19f81d1fab44d678eda57e4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Sorry - what I get is a short menu including Report;  but that 's more or less it. I don't have any more exalted power over other users...

Hmm, strange. I just tried the three-dot menu on every commenter in this thread and I don't have the ability to report anyone.

@Shane D.Any chance you can look into why I can't report comments? Thank you.

5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It looks like you need to be level 4 before you get access to report.

Ahah, you nailed it, thank you. A bit surprising! Most forums wouldn't require such seniority just to flag content for editing or removal. I'm not too far away from Level 4, so problem may solve itself (at least for me) in not too distant future. Depending on whether I pass/fail the "admin approval" part, of course. ;) 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Paul A. said:

This is a racist attitude, and saying "no offense" does not absolve you. It's also ridiculously presumptive because you have zero evidence that Evernote uses offshore programmers, and even if they do zero evidence that it contributes to whatever your feelings are about their software.

I would ordinarily just report the comment and move on, but I don't see a way to report posts on these forums? @gazumped am I missing something? 

In the absence of a report button, I didn't want to let the comment stand unchallenged and have people think that this is an acceptable thing to say, when it's not.

Get over yourself and stay on topic. We don't need another daddy or mommy saying what's acceptable and what's not. No offense. 

@raonoy72 - Good message, couldn't agree more with the frustrations of the structure changes they've made, unfortunately we are in a bubble world and many are way more concerned about calling who or what is wrong, than actually coming up with a decent solution or recommendation as you did. Kudos.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Static243 said:

Get over yourself and stay on topic.

Good advice for all.  I do have a report option,  as well as a 'hide' button. Please keep it on topic and reasonably polite and let's see if we can all get along...

• Like 1