Backup/export notes

ae6dx

Idea

53 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, ae6dx said:

In the new Evernote how do I export all notes?  In the old version I could save all notes at once.  In the new Evernote it says I'm limited to 50 mnotes at a time.

Version 10 set a temporary limit of 50 notes - we expect/hope to see that limit removed   

In the meantime, I'm running the Legacy version and can still do a full export

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

I have an older local version on my computer but it is messed up and I want to back up everything before I upgrade!

I would suggest that you reinstall your old version first and get that going and backed up before trying the new version.  Even then you can run both the old and new in parallel.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

Can you export from the web based evernote application?

You can, but as @DTLow mentions above, there is a current limitation of 50 notes.  We expect this will change in the future.  Limiting export to 50 notes makes no sense.

• Like 1

I would also like to know, how can I export my notebooks as a local backup for security purposes, as was also possible with earlier versions of Evernote?

In my opinion this is a basic function, from a security point of view a pure cloud solution without a backup option is completely forbidden for serious use.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, Prem Nath said:

What about export to html  It seems to have vanished. 

9 hours ago, Sailesh said:

Any solution for this guys?

Confirmed - export to HTML is pending implementation; no timeline specified

In the meantime, I'm using the Legacy version

• Like 1

I'm really taken aback that I can't select more than 50 notes or export a backup. If anybody knows how to back up 10.4.4 on Mac, I'd love to know how. I have over 6000 notes, and it seems like in 10.4.4 there's no way for me to back it up. Just one of many HORRIBLE changes in 10.4.4:

The disappearance of the sync button, the burying of checkbox formatting clear formatting, etc. in a side menu, and the disappearance of the ability to export scanned business cards to contacts... All huge steps backward.

I'd like to be able to customize the left sidebar to have "all notes" above shortcuts. I have a lot of shortcuts, and I'm constantly scrolling down to get to "all notes." That's a theme with this new version: more hunting, scrolling, and searching hidden menus. Why is so much stuff buried? Why does it take two or three clicks to do what used to take one click?

Evernote is supposed to be a productivity app! I'm spending more time UNdoing the automatic formatting in lists (my to-do list for example) than I am entering information.The automatic indentation in lists, and the automatic strikethrough when I hit the return key is incredibly frustrating.

I'm tempted to downgrade, but if something goes wrong I haven't been able to make a back up. #Catch22

#everbetterevernote ? Seriously? #everworseevernote !
  • Like 3
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jeanmiele said:

If anybody knows how to back up 10.4.4 on Mac, I'd love to know how.

Export by notebook; there is no limit on # of notes2079799062_ScreenShot2020-12-04at14_38_23.png.080e70d60c6c23c853b5b2489dfdb052.png

• Like 2
On 12/4/2020 at 10:36 PM, DTLow said:

"Export by notebook; there is no limit on # of notes"

But if you have say 50 notebooks surely this means that you have to do 50 exports? I used to select all my notes, backup to ENEX, then keep that file safe. The current "50 notes limit" is useless and is turning me rapidly away from Evernote which is becoming more and more awkward to use.

2079799062_ScreenShot2020-12-04at14_38_23.png.080e70d60c6c23c853b5b2489dfdb052.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

I used to select all my notes, backup to ENEX, then keep that file safe.

Using the Legacy product, my backups are in HTML format

Warning: The export function excludes notebook information    
To preserve notebook assignment, some users do separate exports for each notebook

>>But if you have say 50 notebooks

This would be better addressed if automated    
I use Applescript on my Mac

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

>>But if you have say 50 notebooks

This would be better addressed if automated    
I use Applescript on my Mac

Thank you for your reply but I must respectfully disagree 🙂  I think it would be better addressed by a simple, reliable backup/export option built into the system which anyone can easily use and which does not rely on a knowledge of Applescript or similar. Reliable backups are, in my opinion, so fundamental that they should be simple and easy to use for all. I feel particularly strongly about this because there WAS such a system in the previous version and for reasons totally beyond my comprehension there now isn't. 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Reliable backups are, in my opinion, so fundamental that they should be simple and easy to use for all. I feel particularly strongly about this because there WAS such a system in the previous version and for reasons totally beyond my comprehension there now isn't. 

I recommend using the Legacy product   
It's my solution for data backups (daily incremental and weekly full)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I recommend using the Legacy product   
It's my solution for data backups (daily incremental and weekly full)

That sounds sensible to me. Can you tell me how easy or difficult it is to go backwards? How do I do it?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, QFieldBoden said:

Do you end up with two installations and just keep and use both of them?

You end up with two apps, Evernote and "Evernote Legacy"   
You can use both, side by side   

• Thanks 1
On 10/27/2020 at 4:01 AM, DTLow said:

Confirmed - export to HTML is pending implementation; no timeline specified

In the meantime, I'm using the Legacy version

'Export to HTML' is indispensable to me. I hope it would be implemented as soon as possible.

It is extremely insensitive if signals are now sent out that the backup options are to be "economized". The security of the content in terms of long-term accessibility is essential for a product like Evernote! If the confidence of the users is shaken in not being able to save their knowledge stored in Evernote locally in the future, this could break Evernote's neck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, olaf.boehlk said:

It is extremely insensitive if signals are now sent out that the backup options are to be "economized". The security of the content in terms of long-term accessibility is essential for a product like Evernote! If the confidence of the users is shaken in not being able to save their knowledge stored in Evernote locally in the future, this could break Evernote's neck!

I couldn't agree more, it is completely and utterly fundamental. The lack of a reliable, simple, trustworthy, local backup facility is no different to putting all your valuables in a secure vault and not having a key, nobody in their right mind would do it. In the meantime, thanks to DTLow I've installed the legacy product and have backed up my material to an .enex file. If the backup option is not resolved to my satisfaction I'm off, I'm becoming less and less trusting by the day.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, olaf.boehlk said:

I definitely agree with that.

5 minutes ago, wahlink said:

I totally agree with all these comments. The lack of back-up options is VERY bad and makes me very nervous to trust my data. I for one will be looking for other options if this isn't fixed soon ..... 

Me too. I'd be interested to hear what other options you find. 

I rely so heavily on Evernote. Its the first app I install on any new device. When Google and Youtube went offline the other day I started to worry - what if Evernote went offline or even worse, lost my notes?! 

A good backup solution is vital for any important data. Evernote doesn't have one. Like many on this forum I am using Evernote Legacy 7.14 to export all notes. I will look for alternatives to Evernote in case they don't resolve the backup issue in the next few months. The week or so it will tae me to copy my vital data to a new system note-by-note is more than worth it to have a secure backup option. 

On a personal note... WHY DO SOFTWARE COMPANIES ALWAYS DO THIS!!?? Evernote was PERFECT. Now it is USELESS because they chose to restrict it. Why why why? 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:10 AM, s2sailor said:

You can, but as @DTLow mentions above, there is a current limitation of 50 notes.  We expect this will change in the future.  Limiting export to 50 notes makes no sense.

Agree. Limiting export to 50 notes is ridiculous. There should be a way to export an entire notebook without selecting individual notes. 

In the past there was a way to have a local copy of your notebooks which were always synced with the cloud. This was a really nice way of having an automatic backup. Another example of Evernote breaking things with the latest version of the software.

• Level 5

You can AFAIK export either a complete notebook OR a set of max 50 individually selected notes.

To export on the notebook level, select the notebook in the left column, click on the 3 dots above the content column (beside the view selection icons) and choose the last option „export notebook“.

It is never advisable to export on a higher level, because the note-notebook-relation gets lost on export. So to get the import right, it is always advisable to export notebook by notebook. The import is then ENEX-file by ENEX-file, always to an new notebook.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

In the past there was a way to have a local copy of your notebooks which were always synced with the cloud.

The offline local copy continues to be a feature with Evernote Version 10

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, add101020 said:

How is this supposed to work, i.e. how can I create a 100% offline backup of my Evernote notes?

It's not 100%, but there's various backup options 

1. I run a full export weeky in html format   
    The notes are placed in an OS folder, and are read-able by any browser app   

2. Full export can also be enex format, but this produces a single file in Evernote's internal format   
    It can be used for import and restores your database (new notebook, new note-ids)   
    Some users do separate exports for each notebook

Be aware: Full export and html format are only available in the Legacy product    
                  We expect this to be implemented in the Version 10  product

56 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can AFAIK export either a complete notebook OR a set of max 50 individually selected notes.

To export on the notebook level, select the notebook in the left column, click on the 3 dots above the content column (beside the view selection icons) and choose the last option „export notebook“.

It is never advisable to export on a higher level, because the note-notebook-relation gets lost on export. So to get the import right, it is always advisable to export notebook by notebook. The import is then ENEX-file by ENEX-file, always to an new notebook.

Well, that feature is well hidden. But thanks for enlightening us @PinkElephant!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Well, that feature is well hidden.

Yes, it was either unknown to me, or not yet implemented when I wrote the earlier response.

On Windows at least, backups will be more difficult with v10. Prior, I was able to backup the .exb as part of my system backup.  The data structure changed in v10. There is no longer a single file that contains all.  

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

On Windows at least, backups will be more difficult with v10. Prior, I was able to backup the .exb as part of my system backup.  The data structure changed in v10. There is no longer a single file that contains all.  

We never had a single .exb file on the Mac platform     
instead, we backed up the container folder    
A benefit of multi-file storage is that backups can be incremental; i.e just the updated data

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

A benefit of the multi-file storage is that backups can be incremental; i.e just the data changes

Can you comment a little more on how that is done?  I have a Mac, but my backups have always been done on the Windows system where I had local notebooks.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Can you comment a little more on how that is done?  I have a Mac, but my backups have always been done on the Windows system where I had local notebooks.

Identify the database folder; on my Mac /Users/DTLow/Library/Application Support/Evernote
This is the folder to be backed up
Warning: I have not tested a total database restore for the Version 10 product     
                 it's not a backup/restore process I use

Note - this is the local copy of our data; the master copy is located on the Evernote servers

As to the incremental part - it's handled hourly by my backup software (Mac Time Machine)   
To restore files, I just specify the date/time and it's handled automatically

• Thanks 1
On 12/20/2020 at 7:48 AM, PinkElephant said:

No - this isn't possible any more. Exporting individual notes is still there with the 3 dots but exporting a notebook is not. Also related to this is the extremely annoying downgrade where you can no longer create shared notebooks. You can share individual files but the share a notebook feature is no longer present in the newest Evernote. This still works in older version as well as iOS. 

• Level 5

@wahlink    OK, 3 attempts, sorry 3 fails.

Screen copies from EN v10.5.7 on my Mac:

Select up to 50 notes and perform operations on them (move, tag, export etc.). Once you selected more than 1 note (1), the little blue box shows which holds the options (2). Behind the 3 dots there is a submenu(3):

1101974236_NotizenExport.thumb.png.bafae7b16b52d7204955afb0a281cffe.png

Choose a complete notebook for export (go to notebook view, select 3 dots, then from the menu):

1277153577_NotizbuchExport.thumb.png.1ee1ac58684748b45febc99bd292f522.png

When exporting a notebook, there is a cap of 10.000 notes.

Share a complete Notebook with another person:

1203469819_ShareNotebook.thumb.png.02342d47f16a93ad4490ce3ba0fdb442.png

Have a nice day, stay safe !

You might be able to export a notebook which is better than nothing but I have lots of notebooks. I don't want to be sitting there all day performing a manual backup. That is ridiculous. I just counted and I have 37 notebooks, and I don't even have much data. 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Going to export the notebooks one by one before installing the legacy version, just in case.

A good reason for nstalling the Legacy version - it provides better export support
I don't think there's a cause for concern - the products use different local databases

Use Case - to effectively backup my writing, I need to be able to export or backup my entire Evernote database at interval. This is to guard against the scenario where a malicious actor gains access to my account and deletes my writing.

There is an artificial limitation new to Evernote that allows users to only select 50 notes. I have over 3,000.

Without a proper backup solution in place, I will need to consider alternatives to Evernote, because Evernote no longer meets my needs.

Please consider removing this aftificial limitation recently imposed so end users can once again keep a local backup of their Evernote database -or- (even better) introduce a specific local backup option, given the original method was also a workaround.

10.7.6-mac-mas-public (458452)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Snugz said:

Please consider removing this aftificial limitation recently imposed so end users can once again keep a local backup of their Evernote database -or- (even better) introduce a specific local backup option, given the original method was also a workaround.

I merged your post with an ongoing discussion
As you posted, there is an "artificial limitation" of 50 notes
We expect this to be removed as the product is further developed

In the meantime, work-around options are   
- use the Legacy product for backups
- separate export for each notebook; no note limitation and notebook info is maintained

• Like 1

It’s not OK to not have the ability to access a way to extract all data. In fact it’s more than not ok, as I’m based in the UK. GDPR laws of the UK and EU both state we must be able to be sent all the data Evernote has for us (in an easily readable format too). GDPR is not just about privacy policies. I’m sure they don’t want us emailing them to extract this.

Here it is, months later since this thread started, and the backup of the 50 note limitation has still not been addressed as of 4-2-2021. Clearly, this is not a priority to the Everynote team. I use Evernote all the time and I'm always getting these emails about how wonderful it is. How about writing a DECENT and EASY backup option that will be right on the menu, that will create a backup of the users' Evernote notebook structure, instead of just concentrating on notes (50 note limit for months now!)?  That way, if there's corruption, the user could simply select "RESTORE" from the menu  from a backup stored locally, and the application should ask them if they'd like to overwrite the current database. Maybe not so simple, but they really should have created this.

Right now, I have absolutely no backup for all my notes. And yes, I'm a premium user that's thinking about looking for other options.

• Like 1

Doing some note clean up myself and was very disappointed to find out about this limit and no backup options.

You can throw a bunch of notes into a notebook and export the notebook. 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, VincentG said:

I used to be able to Select All notes and export it into a *.enex file as a backup but now I can only select Max 50 notes. How do I back up now?

An entire notebook can be backed up with no note limit    
Separate backups are recommended for each notebook since notebook assignment is missing from the backup data